S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Radar sensor film??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2023 | 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Radar sensor film??

Noticed that the front radar module cover has a protection layer with thin film that is peeling off slowly. I am mostly 90% high-way driving and same for previous owner; mid 30Ks miles thus far. Garage kept all the time when parked, never parked under sun when at home or work or even airport; so am disappointed by the film quality (perhaps highway dust, but I also have zero rock chips in my area).

No issues mechanically or radar performance wise at all; but I wonder if others have noticed the same or if it's something to worry about. I mostly hate the cosmetic aspect of it if anyway, should I apply a small piece/cut of 3M PPF without impacting sensor operation?

I went to oil change recently, asked them to check the vehicle all around and they didn't report it or think it's a concern.

Last edited by S_W222; 04-24-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2023 | 09:01 PM

2021 S450 4Matic
70 views of the OP and no response....Hmmm....so, let me be the first one then.

I might be wrong (and if so, someone please correct me). That black piece underneath the film is not the radar itself.
It is a protective cover for the radar unit which sits behind.
So, that film is a protective film for the protective cover. Kind of redundant but that is it.
I think, it is more like the protective film that is on the Driver Display and the Central Display of a new W223.
If it peels off over time, I think I will let it go. If it is half-peeled off, the sight will be ugly and I will completely remove it.
The black protective radar cover is plastic and the surface might just get scratched over time (just like the car body paint). I suppose, if you like, you might just use some PPF cut to the exact size to protect the protective radar cover. Should be a simple enough DIY project for a good Sat afternoon.
The following users liked this post:
S_W222 (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023 | 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by S_W222
Noticed that the front radar module cover has a protection layer with thin film that is peeling off slowly. I am mostly 90% high-way driving and same for previous owner; mid 30Ks miles thus far. Garage kept all the time when parked, never parked under sun when at home or work or even airport; so am disappointed by the film quality (perhaps highway dust, but I also have zero rock chips in my area).

No issues mechanically or radar performance wise at all; but I wonder if others have noticed the same or if it's something to worry about. I mostly hate the cosmetic aspect of it if anyway, should I apply a small piece/cut of 3M PPF without impacting sensor operation?

I went to oil change recently, asked them to check the vehicle all around and they didn't report it or think it's a concern.

2014, same on mine. Clear Coat on Plastic. Same / Similar to Strip Above Windsheild before Sunroof. I also have Blistering Chrome on Grill. Looking to get OEM Replacement. Looks like your Glass sensor took some sand hits.