S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

I am buying this S500 but ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2023 | 05:55 AM

EQB250
I am buying this S500 but ...

Hi All
Finally I have decided to buy this 2016 S500 with 38500 miles on it ... please see details below link :
https://altoprestige.com.au/stock/de...benz-s500-used

I had a test drive today and it seemed very well maintained for its age and is in very good condition... also it has Comfort, AMG, vision , BMC ... it belonged to one owner since the beginning... I am in final stage to purchase this ...but nothing is legal yet so I can walk away ...I appreciate if you can comment/ answer my below questions :

- I am told that the maintenance has been digitally kept to MB and the dealer is supposed to get them for me ( for 2014 and 2015 I saw there were service book ) ... do your S ones have same digitally service records ?
- I want to get 2 years warranty , I found this ( link) one which seems has better reviews : https://ericinsurance.com.au/motor-v...nty-insurance/ is it a good decision
- I can get same mileage on S350d but in 2014 cars at least AU$25,000 cheaper ( example https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...15163582/?Cr=3) but they might not have all packages/ options, also a bit lower in the overall condition ... is S500 vs S350d and also 2016 vs 2014 justify the AU$25,000
- is buying used certified by MB worth the extra money ( I think averagely around AU$10,000)
- I will have to keep the car in our front yard , it will be secured but in a open area ( as my wife is using the parking for her EQB which needs to be charged) ... is it going to be a problem ? should I cover the car while parking there ?
- This model doesn't have the apple car play or Android Auto and I am used to them ... is it easy/ possible to upgrade to have these options ?
- what I didn't like much in this car was the quality of the sound system... is it possible/ advisable to upgrade the sound system ( speakers, sub, amplifier...) ?
- appreciate if you have any advise or I am missing something in my considerations

Last edited by Mason.Safari; 07-19-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2023 | 08:26 PM

EQB250
any comments / advises and I really appreciate... BTW... I could also find few similar prices in 2018 S350d 38k miles so now I would like to know also compare 2016 S500 or 2018 S350d same mileage ? also the 2016 S500 is equipped with MBC but S350d is not
Old 07-20-2023 | 03:21 PM

S550
- I am told that the maintenance has been digitally kept to MB and the dealer is supposed to get them for me ( for 2014 and 2015 I saw there were service book ) ... do your S ones have same digitally service records ?
Not really. It has a service record, but that could just be an oil change. Or they could not have done anything and just pressed the buttons.
What is maintenance? Oil changes? Coolant? Brake fluid? Diff? Transmission fluid? Brakes? Engine and cabin filters? Spark plugs? That is just part of the stuff that has to be done.
These are good cars, but you need to be on top of all the fluids and maintenance.

- I want to get 2 years warranty , I found this ( link) one which seems has better reviews :
https://ericinsurance.com.au/motor-v...nty-insurance/ is it a good decision
Just my personal opinion with warranties. They are wonderful when you are paying for them, but suddenly you cant get anything when you need to use them.

- is buying used certified by MB worth the extra money ( I think averagely around AU$10,000)
A used car is a used car. Did they do the 1000 point inspection? Maybe ? Maybe not. Better spend the money on a pre purchase inspection. Whatever they find, go back to the dealer and let them fix it.

- I will have to keep the car in our front yard , it will be secured but in a open area ( as my wife is using the parking for her EQB which needs to be charged) ... is it going to be a problem ? should I cover the car while parking there ?
Probably not that big a deal, but things will definitely deteriorate faster in the weather. If those lights fog up and you want to replace them, it will be around US $2000 per side. Rubber and trim is most likely at least as expensive to replace.

- This model doesn't have the apple car play or Android Auto and I am used to them ... is it easy/ possible to upgrade to have these options ?
Probably not easily. If you go into the dash to replace it with something else, on this car with so many things you are likely going to break something. There are kits, but they are of questionable quality.
If something goes wrong they arent going to pay for repairs. One wrong wire connection or cut wire, suddenly this or that doesnt work and you are in for a good wallet flush at the dealer.
On mine I just connect via bluetooth and play whatever I want through my phone. Not a big deal

- what I didn't like much in this car was the quality of the sound system... is it possible/ advisable to upgrade the sound system ( speakers, sub, amplifier...) ?
I would leave as is. So many issues on the forum that starts with.......... I just changed this or that, put in a tune or replaced this part with aftermarket parts.

That is a very nice car with low miles. I would just keep it as it is. If things break, replace it with OEM or OE parts. Don't cheapen out with parts and don't change anything
When new these were US $120k cars. When things go wrong, you are repairing a $120k car.
Parts and labor does not depreciate. If anything, it costs more now than when the car was new.

Rather than the sound and bluetooth, I would spend my money on the things that are known issues on these cars.
The oil leaks into the wiring and sensors. Replace sensors. Fix oil leaks. Get the fluids replaced. Engine mounts. Save money when suspension parts that fail (these cars are heavy)

Last edited by waterzap99; 07-20-2023 at 04:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mason.Safari (07-21-2023)
Old 07-20-2023 | 04:00 PM

2014 S550, 2007 S600
I installed carplay on my W222. Pretty easy and there's no cutting required. All plug and play.
Mason.Safari (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023 | 02:06 AM

EQB250
Originally Posted by waterzap99
Not really. It has a service record, but that could just be an oil change. Or they could not have done anything and just pressed the buttons.
What is maintenance? Oil changes? Coolant? Brake fluid? Diff? Transmission fluid? Brakes? Engine and cabin filters? Spark plugs? That is just part of the stuff that has to be done.
These are good cars, but you need to be on top of all the fluids and maintenance.

- I want to get 2 years warranty , I found this ( link) one which seems has better reviews :
https://ericinsurance.com.au/motor-v...nty-insurance/ is it a good decision
Just my personal opinion with warranties. They are wonderful when you are paying for them, but suddenly you cant get anything when you need to use them.

A used car is a used car. Did they do the 1000 point inspection? Maybe ? Maybe not. Better spend the money on a pre purchase inspection. Whatever they find, go back to the dealer and let them fix it.

Probably not that big a deal, but things will definitely deteriorate faster in the weather. If those lights fog up and you want to replace them, it will be around US $2000 per side. Rubber and trim is most likely at least as expensive to replace.

Probably not easily. If you go into the dash to replace it with something else, on this car with so many things you are likely going to break something. There are kits, but they are of questionable quality.
If something goes wrong they arent going to pay for repairs. One wrong wire connection or cut wire, suddenly this or that doesnt work and you are in for a good wallet flush at the dealer.
On mine I just connect via bluetooth and play whatever I want through my phone. Not a big deal

I would leave as is. So many issues on the forum that starts with.......... I just changed this or that, put in a tune or replaced this part with aftermarket parts.

That is a very nice car with low miles. I would just keep it as it is. If things break, replace it with OEM or OE parts. Don't cheapen out with parts and don't change anything
When new these were US $120k cars. When things go wrong, you are repairing a $120k car.
Parts and labor does not depreciate. If anything, it costs more now than when the car was new.

Rather than the sound and bluetooth, I would spend my money on the things that are known issues on these cars.
The oil leaks into the wiring and sensors. Replace sensors. Fix oil leaks. Get the fluids replaced. Engine mounts. Save money when suspension parts that fail (these cars are heavy)
Thanks for the answers, really appreciate it
I am actually considering buying this one and is through dealership and have 3 months warranty ... also I have done some research and this extended warranty seems better than the others so I might get 3 years with them... I wont touch the sound system but the dealer is supposed to ask from MB rep if they will upgrade the apple car play ?
also I took the car to a experienced MB mechanic and hi did check and found only below :
- the front pads needs replacing which dealer already wanted to do
- there are 2 error code came one with 1- for multi unction camera and after resetting the error gone and the other passenger seat control unit B228678 which reset still was there so the dealer will take to the MB rep to fixed this ( attached) ..

another thing is I got the maintenance report from MB and there are 5 services record as below
Service 5 14.03.2023
Service 4 13.04.2022
Service 3 27.05.2021
Service 2 08.02.2021
Service 1 03.01.2020
... first one almost 3 years after registration on 22137 km ... is it not too late or could be normal ? also other strange was that on 08.02.2021 they had services and then 3-4 months after that they had another service on 27.05.2021 and they serviced the transmission ...then 11 months later on 13.04.2022 , another MB rep did same thing and services the transmission ( Automatic transmission: oil and
filter change) ... isnt it strange... I spoke with both MB rep and they didnt have nay explanation and today the mechanic advised all good with transmission ?? the report is attached : should I be worry ( in the details last service, not attached here nothing was recommended only replacing the front brake pads and no mentioning of the transmission

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Report-765539989495875011.pdf (202.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 07-21-2023 | 09:22 AM

S550
Maybe they just didnt drive a lot at first, and then drove a lot. This car still has low miles, so if the oil was changed once or twice, it should be ok. From now on just change it more often. If you can do it yourself, its not difficult. Just need a set of good ramps.
In the US they change the oil around 10k miles. I do mine more often, but its probably ok. The car takes almost 10 liters of oil, so there is a lot of it.

Servicing the transmission really just means replacing the fluid. That's never a bad thing. These transmissions, the seven speeds, are used in almost all the Mercedes models of those years. As far as I know its a good model without any major issues. Also if it needs to be worked on, someone somewhere will know what to do because it was used in so many models. Its not S class specific.

Mercedes is very good at using the same engine and transmission for different models.

My personal opinion about this car. It seems solid as long as there is no rust or other major issues.
You did you due diligence, get an extra warranty if if makes you feel better. Then after you get the car, learn more about it and see if you can do some of the maintenance yourself.

Get a set of good ramps. Something as simple as an oil change will save you a lot of money and you get to know your car.
When you have the car up on the ramps. Look around, look for oil leaks or any fluid leaks. Check the brakes, tires etc.

Every couple of weeks, take off the panels on the engine, check your fluids, look around for leaks or things that will go wrong in the future. These cars aren't quite as scary as they are made out to be if you keep on top of the maintenance and fix things before they become serious.

Last edited by waterzap99; 07-21-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Mason.Safari (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023 | 08:47 AM

EQB250
Thanks , really appreciate your advises...
only worry I have is no apple car play as I am used to it very much... is it advisable to do the upgrade if possible?
Old 07-22-2023 | 09:39 AM

S550
You can still listen to anything on your phone through bluetooth. You just cannot control your phone on the screen.
Mason.Safari (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023 | 09:40 PM

EQB250
Originally Posted by waterzap99
You can still listen to anything on your phone through bluetooth. You just cannot control your phone on the screen.
I'm more comfortable with Google map , also dont want to hang my phone to the car ( not nice)...it seems some third company would upgrade to car play...is it OK or there is risk of any problem I might have with this upgrade?
Old 07-24-2023 | 09:29 AM

S550
I would not change anything in the car. That is just me.
The following 2 users liked this post by waterzap99:
Mason.Safari (07-25-2023), Quenthel (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023 | 08:32 AM

EQB250
Are you using the cellphone holder ?
Old 07-25-2023 | 08:36 AM

S550
No, I just put the phone in one of the cup holders. Car has navigation and I can see the navigation on the phone if I need to. Also just play whatever I want through bluetooth.
In the end, if you really need the newest gadgets in car, maybe a newer E class would be better. Buy and use the car as is. If that doesnt suit your needs, might be better to get something that does.

Last edited by waterzap99; 07-25-2023 at 08:59 AM.