reciving my 2017 S500... what should I do

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 09:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
EQB250
Smile reciving my 2017 S500... what should I do

Hi All
Finally this week , I will get my receiving my 2017 S500 ( Vin WDD2220822A282048) in Sydney ( Australia) ...I get it ceramic treated also 3 years extended warranty ...it has 38000 M (62000 K km)
now what should I do ?

in Sydney we will never get very cold or snow ...

- regardless of recent services ( details below) should I changed the oil and filter? ( if yes at independent mechanic or MB service center)
- should I replace the spark plugs ?( if yes at independent mechanic or MB service center)
- should I check for oil leaks ?( if yes at independent mechanic or MB service center)
- it has run flat tires should replaced with non run flats ( if yes, please recommend best tires)
- as unfortunately will need to keep it in open but secured area, I would want to order the cover , is it recommendable ? if yes, any recommendation which types should I get
- anything else should I do ?

it seems below services been done :

Service 5 03.14.2023 - @35954 Miles
Dust filter replaced
Engine: oil and filter change
Brake fluid replaced
Addwork in accordance with DAIMLER AG
specification Accomplished

Service 4 04.13.2022 - @ 29,942 Miles
Replaced / renewed
Dust filter replaced
Automatic transmission: oil and
filter change
specification
Accomplished

Service 3 05.27.2021 - @ 28,376 Miles
Replaced / renewed
Automatic transmission: oil and
filter change
specification
Accomplished

Service 2 02.08.2021 - @24,320 Miles
Replaced / renewed
Air filter element replaced
specification
Accomplished

Service 1 01.03.2020 - @ 13,755 Miles
Replaced / renewed
specification
Accomplished

strange I note on 27.05.2021 ( @ 28,376 Miles) the Automatic transmission: oil and filter changed and then again on 13.04.2022 (@ 29,942 Miles) Automatic transmission: oil and filter changed!!
Old 09-17-2023, 10:30 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
Congratulations on your new to you S500.

Regarding car covers, I strongly recommend not using one. They can cause scratches in paint with application and removal, even if just washed. The ceramic coating will protect the paint well. Just keep washing regularly, ideally weekly, using the 2 bucket method. Use of window tinting and sun shade inside windshield to protect interior can help, as well.
The following users liked this post:
Mason.Safari (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 11:49 AM

EQB250
Originally Posted by blackbullit
Congratulations on your new to you S500.

Regarding car covers, I strongly recommend not using one. They can cause scratches in paint with application and removal, even if just washed. The ceramic coating will protect the paint well. Just keep washing regularly, ideally weekly, using the 2 bucket method. Use of window tinting and sun shade inside windshield to protect interior can help, as well.
thanks for the reply...
so cover might not be a good thing...it could also be a headache to have and remove them every time...
The car is tinted as I could see in the equipments when search Vin...now after 6 yeaes, should i re tint again ? Shold i get the tint level tested ?

Old 09-17-2023, 11:56 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
I would wait to visually inspect the tint.

If it is clearly in bad shape (bubbles or peeling off glass) or you prefer a different tint level, I would replace.

Tint does not necessarily need to be replaced after a specific interval. I have seen it last for 10 years if a quality product is installed.
Mason.Safari (09-17-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 02:38 AM

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts
2016 S550
I believe you're referring to the factory tint, if you see it's in the options with your VIN. That tint cannot be removed. You can apply a better film tint over the factory tint, since the factory tint is very minimal in terms of heat rejection, UV protection and Infrared rejection (would recommend products like 3M Crystalline / Ceramic IR series)
For peace of mind, I would replace oil and filter, unless you trust it has been done. I would do it at an independent shop, it doesn't require a Dealer to do that type of work. However, I do recommend going with genuine Mercedes filter.
I don't think plugs are due yet for your car. Definitely check for oil leaks and it doesn't have to be at the dealer.
I also wouldn't recommend a car cover. After so many taking off/on with a not so clean car, dirt, etc, will introduce fine swirls and scratches into your paint. You already have a ceramic coating to protect the paint from fading (UV). Doesn't hurt if you want to apply another high quality wax periodically to protect it further (it'll also be glossier, easier to wash).
The runflats is your call. Do you prefer a quieter softer ride? I replaced mine and the noise level and comfort level did improve, I have 19 inch wheels. I keep a "fix a flat" kit in my trunk just in case, since I can't drive it if its flat.
What I find weird with your service history is that they replaced the transmission fluid and filter, twice, within a thousand mile or so.
Mason.Safari (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 08:12 AM

EQB250
Originally Posted by 95Sinned420
I believe you're referring to the factory tint, if you see it's in the options with your VIN. That tint cannot be removed. You can apply a better film tint over the factory tint, since the factory tint is very minimal in terms of heat rejection, UV protection and Infrared rejection (would recommend products like 3M Crystalline / Ceramic IR series)
For peace of mind, I would replace oil and filter, unless you trust it has been done. I would do it at an independent shop, it doesn't require a Dealer to do that type of work. However, I do recommend going with genuine Mercedes filter.
I don't think plugs are due yet for your car. Definitely check for oil leaks and it doesn't have to be at the dealer.
I also wouldn't recommend a car cover. After so many taking off/on with a not so clean car, dirt, etc, will introduce fine swirls and scratches into your paint. You already have a ceramic coating to protect the paint from fading (UV). Doesn't hurt if you want to apply another high quality wax periodically to protect it further (it'll also be glossier, easier to wash).
The runflats is your call. Do you prefer a quieter softer ride? I replaced mine and the noise level and comfort level did improve, I have 19 inch wheels. I keep a "fix a flat" kit in my trunk just in case, since I can't drive it if its flat.
What I find weird with your service history is that they replaced the transmission fluid and filter, twice, within a thousand mile or so.
Thanks, I will get it tinted , perhaps ceramic ones ...
I prefer comfort and less noise so most likely will get the tires replaced, what would be the best option , mine is 20" I believe ?
for oil leaks, any specific area I should ask the independent shop? or entire engine ?
I dont know exactly why they have replaced the transmission fluid and filter twice that soon ? only explanation was that perhaps this was done by another owner who didnt research what services were done ?! if its the case MB service didnt tell him either ?! BTW, how often these should be replaced?
Old 09-18-2023, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mason.Safari
Thanks, I will get it tinted , perhaps ceramic ones ...
I prefer comfort and less noise so most likely will get the tires replaced, what would be the best option , mine is 20" I believe ?
for oil leaks, any specific area I should ask the independent shop? or entire engine ?
I dont know exactly why they have replaced the transmission fluid and filter twice that soon ? only explanation was that perhaps this was done by another owner who didnt research what services were done ?! if its the case MB service didnt tell him either ?! BTW, how often these should be replaced?
For the tires, I would suggest Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06.
carlosinseattle (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 04:42 PM

Received 200 Likes on 131 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
I have a 2017 S550 4-Matic with the OEM 20" AMG style wheels. Just left the wheel shop $1K lighter in the wallet this morning. You WILL get bent rims, just a matter of how bent and how you feel about it. I had vibrations in the 60-80mph range. In the year since I bought the car I've lost two tires because of hitting potholes. Sorry to sound dramatic, but it is what it is; short sidewall and heavy car are not a good combination. All 4 of my rims were bent, the rear right being the worse, and my left front had a crack. All repaired and the car drives as smooth as silk up to 100MPH.

Get some 19" wheels and tires, you'll be glad you did.
Mason.Safari (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 09:07 PM

EQB250
Originally Posted by Mr_Sheen
For the tires, I would suggest Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06.
Thanks , do you recommend at the same time get 19" wheels or stay with 20"?
Old 09-20-2023, 03:10 AM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
S560 Long 4Matic (DE) MY 2018
Thanks , do you recommend at the same time get 19" wheels or stay with 20"?
You will hear many and differing opinions on the matter. In my experience, going from non-RFT 18" to RFT 20" AND lowering the car by 27mm, didn't make the car that bad in terms of comfort and noise, but in higher speeds the noise would be at the threshold of being annoying. Replaced the RFTs with non-RFTs and comfort has perceivably improved as well as the noise. The 18" on standard height are quieter and more comfortable but not by much. There is also the added benefit of lower risk of wheel damage due to the lack of the hard sidewall in non-RFT tyres.

The 18" have Bridgestone Blizzaks (winter wheels) while the 20" had Goodyear Eagle Assymetric 2, before being replaced with the quieter variant of Pirelli P Zero. Needless to say that I'm staying away from RFT tyres from now on.
Mason.Safari (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 03:48 AM

EQB250
Originally Posted by Quenthel
You will hear many and differing opinions on the matter. In my experience, going from non-RFT 18" to RFT 20" AND lowering the car by 27mm, didn't make the car that bad in terms of comfort and noise, but in higher speeds the noise would be at the threshold of being annoying. Replaced the RFTs with non-RFTs and comfort has perceivably improved as well as the noise. The 18" on standard height are quieter and more comfortable but not by much. There is also the added benefit of lower risk of wheel damage due to the lack of the hard sidewall in non-RFT tyres.

The 18" have Bridgestone Blizzaks (winter wheels) while the 20" had Goodyear Eagle Assymetric 2, before being replaced with the quieter variant of Pirelli P Zero. Needless to say that I'm staying away from RFT tyres from now on.
thanks , so if I want to replace some of wheels and tires shoipd i go to 18" or 19" from current 20"?

Also if i moved to smaller wheels, tiers...will there be any use for my current 20" ? Whai mean is, what if i stay with current wheels toers and as soon as i get damages or very uncomfort, then change them ? Does it make sense or am I missing something here ?
Old 09-20-2023, 10:56 AM

thanks , so if I want to replace some of wheels and tires shoipd i go to 18" or 19" from current 20"?

Also if i moved to smaller wheels, tiers...will there be any use for my current 20" ? Whai mean is, what if i stay with current wheels toers and as soon as i get damages or very uncomfort, then change them ? Does it make sense or am I missing something here ?
The best way would be to keep your current set of 20's...in the garage for spares. Buy a set of 19''s, wheels and tires with TPMS installed. "Quentel" went from 18" RFT's to 20" non-RFT's, so he didn't feel a major difference in feel. Also, those Goodyear F1's are terrible for road noise, which is why when he got the Pirelli's the noise level decreased. Of the premium tires for this car the Pirelli's are noisier than the Continental DWS06, Bridgestone RE960AS, and Michelin Pilot Sport tires. But nothing is free. In my opinion, the Pilot Sport are the best, but they rearely, if ever, are found on sale so I've never bought a set. I LOVED the Bridgestones, but they were slightly louder and more harsh than the conti's. The Conti's are my favs, slightly less dry weather performance than the top 2 but great in the wet and light snow and super comfortable and quiet. But I didn't buy them a few months ago and got the Pirelli's because they were on a GREAT sale and I knew I wouldn't be keeping the car for long.

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 09-20-2023 at 09:38 PM.
Quenthel (09-21-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 08:58 PM

EQB250
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle
The best way would be to keep your current set of 20's...in the garage for spares. Buy a set of 19''s, wheels and tires with TPMS installed. "Quentel" went from 18" RFT's to 20" non-RFT's, so he didn't feel a major difference in feel. Also, those Goodyear F1's are terrible for road noise, which is why when he got the Pirelli's the noise level decreased. Of the premium tires for this car the Pirelli's are noisier than the Continental DWS06, Bridgestone RE960AS, and Michelin Pilot Sport tires. But nothing is free. In my opinion, the Pilot Sport are the best, but they rearely, if ever, are found on sale so I've never bought a set. I LOVED the Bridgestones, but they were slightly louder and more harsh than the conti's. The Conti's are my favs, slightly less dry weather performance than the top 2 but great in the wet and light snow and super comfortable and quiet. But I didn't buy them a few months ago and got the Pirelli's because they were on a GREAT sale and I knew I wouldn't be keep the car for long.

Thanks, my car already have TPMS , correct ?
also I found below "Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tyre", are they the good ones? also what 19" wheels are recommended ?

https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/se...8-8e9866e66dad
Old 09-21-2023, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts
W212 FL
I have Michelin Pilot Sport 5 tires and very satisfied with them . Every Michelin product have been great so far from Primacy Series to Pilot Sports according to my experience
Mason.Safari (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 12:37 AM

EQB250
Originally Posted by BenzV12
I have Michelin Pilot Sport 5 tires and very satisfied with them . Every Michelin product have been great so far from Primacy Series to Pilot Sports according to my experience
the one I found is pilot sport 4 and 4S..are they good? 4 is much cheaper than 4S
Old 09-21-2023, 08:12 AM

EQB250
here is the current wheel/tiers ... we have good roads here ... can I just replace the RF with pilot sport 4 or 5 NRF?

Old 09-21-2023, 12:41 PM

the one I found is pilot sport 4 and 4S..are they good? 4 is much cheaper than 4S
The 4S does everything the 4 does, but better. The "S" in 4S stands for "Sport." You have Pirelli's on your car. I can't tell from the picture what model they are and if they are RFT or regular. At this point I think you should drive the car as-is for a few months. Enjoy it! Then, maybe in the Spring you can decide if you want to change tires and/or wheels. The time you spend driving it will provide you a baseline so you can compare anything you buy to what your car currently feels like. I have those same wheels on my 17 S550. My car was a CPO, but I think one or more rims was bent when I bought the car. Just had all 4 wheels straightened and one crack repaired. The car is smoother now than it was when I bought it last November. Take your time to enjoy, then do your research. I like to read Tire Rack's website. You can start by reading the professional reviews of each tire, good information but everything is based on brand new tires being tested. Then go to the ratings charts for the different classes of tires to see which tires performed and/or were rated best by consumers in each category. UHP All-Season is the category I need because the roads are really wet for 5-6 months in Seattle, and occassionally light snow. But you might look for UHP Summer, which is a different category. Then once you pick out a couple tires you like you can read the individual reviews from consumers. You can sort them by the number of miles driven and the make and model of car the reviewer drives. I tend to like the reviews by other 4 door large cars, especially S-Class A8 or 7-series BMW's, and discount reviews from SUV or sports cars, but that's just me. You can also read how the different tire diameter affects feel and the difference RFT's make versus standard. I think a lot of people on this forum who are into cars have done the same and have arrived at the suggestions you see.
The following 2 users liked this post by carlosinseattle:
BenzV12 (09-21-2023), Mason.Safari (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 08:26 PM

EQB250
The 4S does everything the 4 does, but better. The "S" in 4S stands for "Sport." You have Pirelli's on your car. I can't tell from the picture what model they are and if they are RFT or regular. At this point I think you should drive the car as-is for a few months. Enjoy it! Then, maybe in the Spring you can decide if you want to change tires and/or wheels. The time you spend driving it will provide you a baseline so you can compare anything you buy to what your car currently feels like. I have those same wheels on my 17 S550. My car was a CPO, but I think one or more rims was bent when I bought the car. Just had all 4 wheels straightened and one crack repaired. The car is smoother now than it was when I bought it last November. Take your time to enjoy, then do your research. I like to read Tire Rack's website. You can start by reading the professional reviews of each tire, good information but everything is based on brand new tires being tested. Then go to the ratings charts for the different classes of tires to see which tires performed and/or were rated best by consumers in each category. UHP All-Season is the category I need because the roads are really wet for 5-6 months in Seattle, and occassionally light snow. But you might look for UHP Summer, which is a different category. Then once you pick out a couple tires you like you can read the individual reviews from consumers. You can sort them by the number of miles driven and the make and model of car the reviewer drives. I tend to like the reviews by other 4 door large cars, especially S-Class A8 or 7-series BMW's, and discount reviews from SUV or sports cars, but that's just me. You can also read how the different tire diameter affects feel and the difference RFT's make versus standard. I think a lot of people on this forum who are into cars have done the same and have arrived at the suggestions you see.
Thanks for your helpful tips 👍
I think they are RF...
how can I determine if the wheels are bend a little or not , can you say by looking at them carefully?
Old 09-21-2023, 09:32 PM

Thanks for your helpful tips 👍
I think they are RF...
how can I determine if the wheels are bend a little or not , can you say by looking at them carefully?
You said the roads in your area are nice, where are you? If the car feels super smooth then there's nothing to worry about. Slight bends don't cause any problems, only if the bend is severe - when that happens it will feel like a tire is unbalanced. Even after balancing it will feel like it's unbalanced, until it gets straightened. I posted pics, but they don't show as well as in person. It was not difficult to spot the bends when looking at the car in person.

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 09-21-2023 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added Pics
Mason.Safari (09-23-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Yes, they're are , "S" is for more mostly track or high performance driving but a regular driver would not tell a difference in between
Mason.Safari (09-22-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 07:00 AM

EQB250
Just noticed rear ones are actually Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ...but now not sure if they are RF or none , please see picture ...

Old 09-22-2023, 11:06 AM

ZP are run flats. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/miche...lot-sport-4-zp

Post a detailed picture of the fronts showing all the letters and numbers, you most likely have run flats up front too. That Pirelli you have up front comes both ways too.

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 09-23-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:04 AM

EQB250
ZP are run flats. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/miche...lot-sport-4-zp

Post a detailed picture of the fronts showing all the letters and numbers, you most likely have run flats up front too. That Pirelli you have up front comes both ways too.
Just checked, it says Run Flat on fronts as well...I had a bit of driving...its very smooth but I believe the noise level could be lower ? compare to my wife 2023 EQB I think I have more noise inside ...also the technology a bit old ( again compare tyo the EQB) specially the 360 surround camera quality is very bad ... lack of Apple car play or android Auto also is really something I need to think of as I am used to them a lot...
and also I am not impressed by the sound system ... I am used to sound upgrade ( mostly Focal) so maybe adding a Sub can help a bit ( I wish this one had 3D Premium ) ...
Old 09-25-2023, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Just checked, it says Run Flat on fronts as well...I had a bit of driving...its very smooth but I believe the noise level could be lower ? compare to my wife 2023 EQB I think I have more noise inside ...also the technology a bit old ( again compare tyo the EQB) specially the 360 surround camera quality is very bad ... lack of Apple car play or android Auto also is really something I need to think of as I am used to them a lot...
and also I am not impressed by the sound system ... I am used to sound upgrade ( mostly Focal) so maybe adding a Sub can help a bit ( I wish this one had 3D Premium ) ...
Focal is very good but not as good as Burmeister according to my experience . You weren't satisfied with the 360 camera that's puzzling me . I have not driven any ev Mercedes-Benz but all the Mercedes-Benz cars I have ever been in provided a very good quality camera resolution to me . You can add Android Auto or Apple car play as a 3rd part installation as well .
Old 09-26-2023, 01:32 AM

EQB250
Originally Posted by BenzV12
Focal is very good but not as good as Burmeister according to my experience . You weren't satisfied with the 360 camera that's puzzling me . I have not driven any ev Mercedes-Benz but all the Mercedes-Benz cars I have ever been in provided a very good quality camera resolution to me . You can add Android Auto or Apple car play as a 3rd part installation as well .
Depends on which focal ...I have Utopia and is in another league I think , maybe I can add Subwoofer to improve the sound...camera resolution definitely lower than new EQB...also its not turning on automatically when I'm passing narrow spae or very close to something, only active manually or when I do reverse ...is it normal or im missing something...