S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2016 Mercedes-Benz S 550 4MATIC Sedan buy or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 517 Likes on 385 Posts
222 S-65
It will have to be inspected by someone who sells Fidelity warranties.

Any MB dealership does. The dealership marks the warranty up the most. Yes; sales of the extended warranty are a profit builder for the dealership.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:07 PM
SPONSOR

Received 240 Likes on 185 Posts
2001 E55AMG
@JohnLane Great information, @luckydriver reached out over the weekend and I was able to get him the Fidelity extended warranty information. One thing is our customers do not need an inspection to start Fidelity warranty coverage. Should a big claim come in at the start of coverage, a third party inspection will be called to determine pre-existing condition or not, but an inspection is not necessary to start Fidelity coverage.

Here is my contact information if anyone has any questions or would like to see coverage information from Fidelity, tgibson@highline-autos.com (855) 924-1333.

Last edited by Highline-Autos.com; 10-30-2023 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Email
Old 10-30-2023, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
thinking about 18 s550
I appreciate the quotes on the warranty. I will read it later but assuming there is a requirement to do the routine maintenance and keep proof thereof. Regardless of what service station does it. I am not sure if my garage has the interface necessary and did not call them yet but I understand is it could be a problem if it's not put on the Mercedes system and u need to make a claim
Old 10-30-2023, 02:35 PM
SPONSOR

2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by luckydriver
I appreciate the quotes on the warranty. I will read it later but assuming there is a requirement to do the routine maintenance and keep proof thereof. Regardless of what service station does it. I am not sure if my garage has the interface necessary and did not call them yet but I understand is it could be a problem if it's not put on the Mercedes system and u need to make a claim
Yes you are required with ANY warranty, to keep records of maintenance performed. With the extended warranty options I send over, copies of receipts and time stamped photos are all we would need. I recommend having a local shop perform the maintenance that way there is a database of maintenance records we can call upon if needed.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:44 PM

Received 128 Likes on 74 Posts
Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
@JohnLane Great information, @luckydriver reached out over the weekend and I was able to get him the Fidelity extended warranty information. One thing is our customers do not need an inspection to start Fidelity warranty coverage. Should a big claim come in at the start of coverage, a third party inspection will be called to determine pre-existing condition or not, but an inspection is not necessary to start Fidelity coverage.

Here is my contact information if anyone has any questions or would like to see coverage information from Fidelity, tgibosn@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333.
tgibosn@highline-autos.com email bounced twice.
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 02:45 PM
SPONSOR

2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by Lou B
tgibosn@highline-autos.com email bounced twice.
Apologies, tgibson@highline-autos.com
Old 10-30-2023, 06:42 PM

thinking about 18 s550
Dealer responded to my questions by saying brakes are rated as new and tires at half life. I guess that saves a nice chunk for a brake job for awhile. Also I knew oil changed as well as 4 wheel alignment.

Guess no one else wants the car because he texted me 2 times n sent pics.

Also he said
the Triton Ext. warr. for 2 years is
$3995 W/$100 deduct., 3 yr. warr is
$4995m,$100 deduct.

Anyone ever use triton?
Old 10-31-2023, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 517 Likes on 385 Posts
222 S-65
I have worked with Fidelity. Good experiences. I’m not on Fidelity’s payroll.

I have written tickets that came to five figures that Fidelity covered without drama.

If the car car needs it and it is covered it gets done.
Highline-Autos.com (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 03:21 PM

thinking about 18 s550
I broke down n finally called my mechanic. He has the machine to do the codes etc but his quote was when you buy a Mercedes you buy a Mercedes. As also was stated on the forum, he told me that around the miles of this car people get rid of them because they don't want the maintenance. He says he uses only oem parts so of course that's good but money of course. I'm on vacation this week but just had to call him since I've known him so long.

So after all this I realized I never looked at a detailed maintenance schedule other than a hit on Google which looked bizarre to me as it was like every 2 or 3 k miles

Can u please link me to a reliable maintenance schedule so I can evaluate. Like is this accurate. https://caredge.com/mercedes-benz/s-class/maintenance

I'm on a cruise n need something to read while listening to the piano in my suite.

Last edited by luckydriver; 10-31-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:31 PM

thinking about 18 s550
i was researching where to plug in the radar detector and you cant use the one outlet in the ashtray because when it's out you cannot use the cup holders. poor design!

then i ran into posts that said you cant use radar with because of the windshield. so i cracked open the manual and sure enough it's there. zoinks. i use my R7 all the time and to worry it may not be in that little window receiving all the signals would be really not good. thankfully in PA rear detection really isnt used that much so i could deal with the rear being blocked but that little hole in the front would worry me.

The infrared reflecting glass prevents the vehicle
interior from becoming too hot. It also blocks
radio waves from penetrating the windshield up
into the gigahertz range.
In order to operate radio-controlled equipment,
e.g. toll recording systems, areas : on the
windshield are permeable to radio waves. You
can install radio-controlled devices in these
areas.
These areas can best be seen from outside the
vehicle by observing the light reflected off the
windshield.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:55 PM

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts
2016 S550
Yeah there are two areas where you can place the radar detector.

Regarding maintenance schedule, it’s basically every 10K miles or 12 months. Whichever comes first. A lot of people do the oil changes earlier though as “preventative maintenance” and peace of mind, as 10K is quite long. However, my previous Benzes (w212, 205) both was under 10k maintenance schedule and never had an issue and both driven over 200k. Google w222 maintenance schedule and you’ll see.

Old 11-09-2023, 02:29 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
To answer you question about the eco, there is a feature in the audio system so that people in the back can better hear you in the front.. I turned it one a few times for fun but it is mostly annoying. I think that is really there for pro drivers to communicate with the passengers in the back.
Old 11-12-2023, 06:53 AM

thinking about 18 s550
so ive been reading thru that maintenance schedule and researching costs etc. and ive even seen on the forum where guys think every 2 years a brake fluid change is needed is excessive and im not really sure if this car has the fancy wipers but my guess is it does. but then it got me wondering. will an extended warranty company deny a claim on, for instance, an engine or transmission issue if i didnt change the brake fluid or put on new wipers, per the manual? i do normally change blades once a year but my mechanic told me he has a way of testing the brake fluid to be sure it's ok. i had thought i was due for a change in my car but he said the test says not needed. but strictly by the wording of the warranty you gotta do the book maintenance. even the cabin filters
Old 11-12-2023, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
so ive been reading thru that maintenance schedule and researching costs etc. and ive even seen on the forum where guys think every 2 years a brake fluid change is needed is excessive and im not really sure if this car has the fancy wipers but my guess is it does. but then it got me wondering. will an extended warranty company deny a claim on, for instance, an engine or transmission issue if i didnt change the brake fluid or put on new wipers, per the manual? i do normally change blades once a year but my mechanic told me he has a way of testing the brake fluid to be sure it's ok. i had thought i was due for a change in my car but he said the test says not needed. but strictly by the wording of the warranty you gotta do the book maintenance. even the cabin filters
I’m afraid that if you’re going to second guess service recommendations to save the cost of a brake fluid change, this may not be the car for you.

In fact, purchasing as opposed to leasing is probably a mistake. Leasing a new car ensures that you don’t have unexpected repair expenses, and pre-paid service packages eliminate the need to worry about if the brake fluid is really at the very last days of its usable life.

From your previous posts, it seems that if you do purchase the car, you’ll be driving every day in fear of what may fail, or what service may be upcoming.

There are many other cars (most?) which provide more miles for fewer service/repair dollars. That’s not what the S is about.

The S provides a safe, comfortable, responsive, luxurious, highly-automated, less-stressful way to travel. The initial expense, and the follow-on expenses are higher than most - but it’s a trade off that most owners are happy to enter into.

First consider what is truly important to you, and your ability to absorb service/repair costs, before making your decision.

Good luck finding the right fit for you.

Last edited by dmatre; 11-12-2023 at 09:10 AM.
C Swenson (11-12-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 376 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Most warranties are filled with "weasel" words that give the warranty company a lot of reasons to deny a claim. I don't bother with anything other than factory warranty and that has served me well over the past 10 years of S Class ownership. I also do all of my own maintenance and the W222 platform is pretty easy to work on.
Old 11-12-2023, 03:49 PM

thinking about 18 s550
Originally Posted by superpop
Most warranties are filled with "weasel" words that give the warranty company a lot of reasons to deny a claim. I don't bother with anything other than factory warranty and that has served me well over the past 10 years of S Class ownership. I also do all of my own maintenance and the W222 platform is pretty easy to work on.
i stopped doing my own maintenance a few years ago. all my life did it myself but just got tired of it. especially since i had to change my oil 4 or 5 times a year when i was doing 33K a year..rotated tires etc. just no fun anymore crawling on the ground. ive also been trying to get a handle on what A and B cost. i found this page from a beverly hills dealer

https://www.bhbenz.com/service/service-specials/

but $240 and 450 seem WAY too cheap for annual maintenance costs. what is your experience.

ive also been considering taking the 6K for the warranty and putting it aside for a rainy day. and if i ever get a repair more than that, id probably just fix it and then decide to toss in the towel or not at that time. it's true every car is different and i havent found many 'my car is perfect' threads on any car forum. they are loaded with all the problems. i wish there would be a mechanism to tell how many people have a good day vs bad in cars in general

also since car fax doesnt indicate any brake or trans changes up to 72K. i could ask for that as part of the deal im sure.

Old 11-12-2023, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 990 Likes on 725 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by dmatre
I’m afraid that if you’re going to second guess service recommendations to save the cost of a brake fluid change, this may not be the car for you.

In fact, purchasing as opposed to leasing is probably a mistake. Leasing a new car ensures that you don’t have unexpected repair expenses, and pre-paid service packages eliminate the need to worry about if the brake fluid is really at the very last days of its usable life.

From your previous posts, it seems that if you do purchase the car, you’ll be driving every day in fear of what may fail, or what service may be upcoming.

There are many other cars (most?) which provide more miles for fewer service/repair dollars. That’s not what the S is about.

The S provides a safe, comfortable, responsive, luxurious, highly-automated, less-stressful way to travel. The initial expense, and the follow-on expenses are higher than most - but it’s a trade off that most owners are happy to enter into.

First consider what is truly important to you, and your ability to absorb service/repair costs, before making your decision.

Good luck finding the right fit for you.
See post #14
Old 11-12-2023, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
i wish there would be a mechanism to tell how many people have a good day vs bad in cars in general
Considering that as of 2019, MB had produced over 500,000 W222’s, I do think that the problems are over represented on forums such as this.

I’ve also found that either I’m one of the luckiest guys on the planet, or driving and taking care of a car properly greatly reduces the probability of mechanical failures.

Past experiences with W124, W203, and ongoing experiences with our W212 lead me to believe (hope?) that our W222 will suffer fewer-than-average failures as well.

Coming from a Motorsport background, I’m not shy about leaning on a car’s capabilities. However, proper service/maintenance, and operating the vehicle with an understanding of mechanical systems has resulted in extremely positive experiences with three previous Benzes. (Disclaimer: the diesel W124 was purchased used, and all fuel system components from tank to injectors had to be replaced in the first year of ownership due to corrosion- but after that it was bullet-proof)

Only time will tell, but I’m hopeful.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:25 PM

thinking about 18 s550
i looked at the sheet showing what was done to prep the car. is there any significance to them saying that A service for M276 was done even though its the v8 turbo? they used 5w 40 and 8 qts but i think the manual says 8.5. also says 276-180-00-09 TS oil filter. shows 190 price but no oil was in the price for some reason. cheap for A service for sure!

that they repaired a wheel. did 4 wheel alignment is def nice. and i like that its all 18s on it and not staggered size tires.

also for inspection it needed cable 000-982-96-10 and it was 264 labor to install it. and it says 3 of the cables were 37 bucks. google isnt really saying what these cables were. any ideas?

wondering why it hasnt sold in a month either. do these cars typically take longer to sell?

Last edited by luckydriver; 11-12-2023 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wondering why it hasnt sold in a month either. do these cars typically take longer to sell?
I’ve got nothing for your service questions, but the S450 I bought in late October had been on the lot in the DC area for 4 months.

My guess is that in DC they only want V8s, and likely prefer black (I’m the very happy owner of a Diamond White S450 at a price that I thought was excellent for a car with an MSRP of $112k…).