Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 01:07 PM
SPONSOR

Received 842 Likes on 653 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Tuning Myth

myth

a widely held but false belief or idea.
"the belief that evening primrose oil helps to cure eczema is a myth, according to dermatologists"

There is nothing like "adding certain features that were never intended to exist", also nothing like "modifying Original MB software" or "replace with custom made software"
It is all the same as advanced coding, changing bits
All tuning companies work with WinOls or ECM Titanium, even those who sell you their tunes on some custom plug.

The job is modifying lines in pre-set MB segments. The modified maps are being written.
Maps is the area where tunes have a significant difference. If taken seriously, it necessitates sensors and a dyno as a premade tune won't be optimal on a car with higher mileage.
Demos files are used as a preset. For serious tuners, the foundation to start with.
We've observed companies that sell untouched Damos presets on a plug. It works, yes. but not optimal.
Accessing the EEPROMs of part eeproms necessitates either more or less special tools.
Regardless of what they do when tuning, they will always use the original MB software, but occasionally different versions, such as those for Amg models.

Best serious options are companies Weistec, Kleeman ect. Or best, have your car tuned on a Dyno.

Now for MBUX to a non-MBUX,or any retrofit to some option like steering wheel that your model year didn't offer originally. you can likely forget about electrical warranty
There is no engineering there as they all buy their adapters and harness from the same 2-3 companies.

Bottom line:
“Most people talk too much, and what they do say is often just noise or irrelevant gibberish designed to keep themselves entertained”

Last edited by BenzNinja; 01-24-2024 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:26 PM

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
SL63
BenzNinja,

My perception of tuning reality bolsters your myth proposal.
The car was engineered and built to manufacturer standards.
Any deviations from that standard, to higher performance by tuning necessarily imposes stresses, and loads that will adversely affect longevity.
Perhaps even catastrophically.
Perhaps suddenly.
I would rather get less than maximum designed performance, so that there is a possibility of longer life.
On the other hand, if I need to step on it, I won’t hesitate.
And I do believe in occasionally pushing the envelope, so that if the time comes that you really need to get to the edge, you have the proficiency.
The following users liked this post:
BenzNinja (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 82 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2006 CLS63, 2004 ML55, 2014 E350 sport
Originally Posted by MB2timer
BenzNinja,

My perception of tuning reality bolsters your myth proposal.
The car was engineered and built to manufacturer standards.
Any deviations from that standard, to higher performance by tuning necessarily imposes stresses, and loads that will adversely affect longevity.
Perhaps even catastrophically.
Perhaps suddenly.
I would rather get less than maximum designed performance, so that there is a possibility of longer life.
On the other hand, if I need to step on it, I won’t hesitate.
And I do believe in occasionally pushing the envelope, so that if the time comes that you really need to get to the edge, you have the proficiency.

Thats only true to the point where they start adding in all sorts of "emissions" or "fuel savings" BS. Or where they engineer to a point like with exhaust manifolds because to build a full long tube ex manifold on a m156 v8 is far to costly for mass production unless its something really special or a race car. .

Stuff like improving on the egr system so oil isnt recirculated into the engine and deleting cats (to a point) can have huge benefits to the longevity and performance of an engine. M278 and m157 in particular are particularly hurt by carbon build up and or wear on the injectors and that can lead to the injectors firing smaller doses of fuel into the combustion chamber which creates more heat and I assume the shear heat from that causes built up carbon to come off the pistons and goes down the side of the piston helping to score up the incredibly soft bore material MB chose to use on those engines. As in every case iv seen the pistons are clean where the damage is done to the bores and that happens to stock and tuned cars.

Personally I have never had zero issues with mail in tunes (that I didnt check myself after loading) and more problems on dynos with cowboy operators but iv been doing that for a very long time and road tuned my own cars (when things were way simpler than they are now) where I could going back 25 years. I personally check mail in tunes as best I can with a wideband and knock monitoring/datalogging.

HPtuners have a decent software and hardware setup now to tune your own m157, m278,m157 and m177 engines. Obviously its not as good as someone expertly skilled with winols who understands how to do everything but for the casuals like me its decent (comes with arguably the best cheap datalogging system on the planet) without the extreme learning curve of winols and modern euro tuning complications because nobody shares that stuff for free and fair enough because they most likely spent ALOT of time to get to where they are.

Im perfectly willing to take my chances because its fun messing with this stuff. I build Ex manifolds BTW.....

W211 E55 AMG full length Tri Y designed and built by me:

Last edited by austingtir; 01-24-2024 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:42 PM
SPONSOR

Received 842 Likes on 653 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by austingtir
Thats only true to the point where they start adding in all sorts of "emissions" or "fuel savings" BS. Or where they engineer to a point like with exhaust manifolds because to build a full long tube ex manifold on a m156 v8 is far to costly for mass production unless its something really special or a race car. .

Stuff like improving on the egr system so oil isnt recirculated into the engine and deleting cats (to a point) can have huge benefits to the longevity and performance of an engine. M278 and m157 in particular are particularly hurt by carbon build up and or wear on the injectors and that can lead to the injectors firing smaller doses of fuel into the combustion chamber which creates more heat and I assume the shear heat from that causes built up carbon to come off the pistons and goes down the side of the piston helping to score up the incredibly soft bore material MB chose to use on those engines. As in every case iv seen the pistons are clean where the damage is done to the bores and that happens to stock and tuned cars.

Personally I have never had zero issues with mail in tunes (that I didnt check myself after loading) and more problems on dynos with cowboy operators but iv been doing that for a very long time and road tuned my own cars (when things were way simpler than they are now) where I could going back 25 years. I personally check mail in tunes as best I can with a wideband and knock monitoring/datalogging.

HPtuners have a decent software and hardware setup now to tune your own m157, m278,m157 and m177 engines. Obviously its not as good as someone expertly skilled with winols who understands how to do everything but for the casuals like me its decent (comes with arguably the best cheap datalogging system on the planet) without the extreme learning curve of winols and modern euro tuning complications because nobody shares that stuff for free and fair enough because they most likely spent ALOT of time to get to where they are.

Im perfectly willing to take my chances because its fun messing with this stuff. I build Ex manifolds BTW.....

W211 E55 AMG full length Tri Y designed and built by me:
Yes HPtuners is decent software
nice build! amazing job all those curves

Last edited by BenzNinja; 01-24-2024 at 08:46 PM.