CPO on Purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 331 Likes on 245 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
CPO on Purchase

Finalizing purchase of a 2019 S560, and getting a CPO car for the first time. Is there a specific CPO certificate, document, ID number, etc. that I should get from the selling dealer?
Old 06-15-2024, 01:08 AM

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Congrats on the new wheels. please share pics and more when you're ready. I think the CPO document is called a pink sheet or something, your salesman will know. As long as it's registered with MB it will be good at any dealer in the country. Just be sure to get the CPO inspection ahead of time, and get it signed by the service manager. I failed to go over everything point by point when I bought my CPO S550 a few years back, and instantly regretted it. If possible, take the car home and wash it yourself ahead of time, or go to a self serve car wash. This way you'll see and feel every panel on the car ahead of time, and know what you're getting into.

Now for the negative....Sorry. I have ZERO FAITH in MB's CPO certification program. They don't do anything special as far as inspection and will often not perform all the steps outlined in the CPO document. One easy thing they almost never do is to reset and update the Command and Nav system. The reset/update is one of the service items stated as to be performed as part of the CPO rehabilitaion process. If you see old map entries or old phone entries, then the system has NOT been reset and updated. That's a good indicator that things weren't performed as stated. Outside of things that are super easy to detect, they don't do anything more than they would on any used car before slapping it with the CPO thing in order to get a little more money for it. IMHO, the CPO program is basically a warranty, don't think you're getting a better car, just a warranty, however it is a great warranty. That was definitely the case ehwn it came to my 17 S550 I bought in 2022. I was happy to get out of that car before the one year anniversary was up.

All that CPO stuff aside; I hope you have a fantastic ownership experience!!
Old 06-15-2024, 09:46 PM

Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
I bought a 2016 CPO in 2019 and at that time it was the first CPO car I had ever bought and also my first MB so I was a pure rookie. I bought it out of town (I live in SF Bay Area and the car was in LA) and so didn't know a lot of what should have been disclosed. I had to replace rear brakes (the dealer did sort of rip me off i had some life left)) pretty fast, the tires were not new but had plenty of meat. And as stated when I put into the nav system drive home it had an address in Oklahoma! Ask about that sort of thing and see if you can ensure your getting everything for your $$. I also negoatiated for pre-paid service and an extended warranty for 2 more years, I came out way ahead. They intially wanted $9,900 for the two services and I got the down to $4,800, I came out way ahead with a $1200 repair and the services was over 5 grand in the 3 years.
The following users liked this post:
carlosinseattle (06-16-2024)