Extending an extended warranty from dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by zitsky
No it was the right comment to the right person who made a comment about someone who they know nothing about. I knew exactly what I was writing. Did they?

The point is, let the person who buys a car decide whether to buy a warranty. I REALLY don’t appreciate being told that I’m just a sucker who is too stupid to know when he’s being ripped off.
If you feel you need a warranty then best thing is to shop around. I am not sure who is the best for the W222 S Class but I am sure you can extend it if you so choose. Is the S currently a CPO car? Or is it out of warranty?
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (07-01-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 07:05 AM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
If you feel you need a warranty then best thing is to shop around. I am not sure who is the best for the W222 S Class but I am sure you can extend it if you so choose. Is the S currently a CPO car? Or is it out of warranty?
Thanks. I said used but it’s a 4 year old 2020 S560 4Matic CPO vehicle with 15,000 miles with a MB extended warranty.

The reason I posted this is because I’m shopping around. I’ve never tried to extend or replace an extended warranty from MB when it expires. Low mileage is great but you can still need service.

Last edited by zitsky; 06-28-2024 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-28-2024, 01:55 PM

Received 197 Likes on 130 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by zitsky
Thanks. I said used but it’s a 4 year old 2020 S560 4Matic CPO vehicle with 15,000 miles with a MB extended warranty.

The reason I posted this is because I’m shopping around. I’ve never tried to extend or replace an extended warranty from MB when it expires. Low mileage is great but you can still need service.
What we have her is a failure to communicate. Anybody remember the movie that line came from????

But seriously, there are too many perrsonal variables that will determine if a warranty is right for you or not.
In a sutuation like this it's best to isolate the ponts and deal with them individually, some are univerasl, while others appy to your situation.

Warranty Compaines:
Unfortunately, vast majority of warranty companies are scammers, that's a fact. BUT, that doesn't mean they're all bad. I can telll you from personal experience that if they won't give you the contract to read ahead of time, walk away. Most won't make it easy to get it, so that tells you to not even consider it.
Warranty Coverage:
Some policies have more exclusions than others. Only you can decide what you want covered. Do you want something similar to bumper to bumper, or do you just want powertrain coverage? The are so many different variations, that's why you have to read it ahead of time and have a trusted advisor read it too.
Warranty Cost:
Again, tons of variables. Not all costly warranties cover more components. I was quoted $11K for coverage that was little more than powertrain when I bought my car, and I've found somehting closer to bumper to bumper for close to half that amount. You have to shop around, if you want to go in this direction.

Your Car:
Only you know your car's history. Did you buy it new? Is it currently under warranty? has it been reiable, Has it been abused? do you take lots of short trips or does your car spend time in normal temp range? Smooth roads or rough roads, and even how dusty? Your use history and intended usage will make a huge difference in how you make that decision.

Your dollars make Your sense:
I would never suggest anybody go without home insurance. I've never encountered a situation where that make sense, but to each his won. But the same calculus applies to your car. How much do you depend on it? How much do you "want" to spend on a repair? How much can you come up with for a repair? What repair bill would cause you to no longer want the car? Those are questions only yo can answer, but they factor into your decision to get a warranty or not. One warranty company I looked at cost around $6K for the warranty, but they had a lifetime payout cap of $20K. A different option cost me $7K with a payout of the value of the car being the max payout. Details matter. For me, if the car needed more than $20K in repairs I don't think I want to own it any longer...but that's just me.

What does your Car mean to You?:
How long do you plan to keep it and is it our daly driver or just a weekend cruiser? If it breaks, do you have additional transportation?

Everybody has different circumstances, your answer will be determined by your circumstances. I know this from working in banking; literally no two mortgages were the same, We factored in Debt to income ratio, both before (front-end) and after (back-end) the home purchase, overall debt, income, Loan-to-value, credit score, credit profile, loan amount, insurance cost, condition of the home, etc. Take your time and consider what you have, what you want, and what you don't want. I remember the first time I heard the saying "more money more problems". While not exactly true, it does mean you have far more variables to consider. It's a more straightforward decision to buy the "only" car you can afford. But thankfully none of us using this forum are in that position. It's far more than a binary choice, more diffucult but also more rewarding. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Lou B (06-28-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 03:01 PM

Received 536 Likes on 293 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Often thought that extended warranty companies were sponsors here since I get so much flack from my comments about their products. Apparently my suspicion was correct..........................
Old 07-01-2024, 07:34 PM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
Various
I just picked up an extended warranty from Highline Autos, @Highline-Autos My CPO ends in Dec, car is low miles so wanted to move with good pricing.

It was a very fair price for many years and many miles, Platinum coverage and $100 deductible. All for about the price of 1 yr MB quoted below.

And most of the time I’m hundreds of miles from a dealer so this gives lots of peace of mind.

Don’t overthink it. Do what’s right for you.

Quote I got for a MB warranty:
There are two choices to extend the CPO:
1 year $3300
2 years $5100
The following 2 users liked this post by NbyNW:
carlosinseattle (07-01-2024), Highline-Autos.com (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 08:01 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Katie22
Often thought that extended warranty companies were sponsors here since I get so much flack from my comments about their products. Apparently my suspicion was correct..........................
I really hate how this website makes you buy things from the sponsors to post here. Oh wait, that was a dream I had last night.