S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

W222 and C217 S Class Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Toyota Venza Limited, 2004 Acura RSX Type-S
W222 and C217 S Class Questions

Hello, everyone. I've been looking into purchasing a used/CPO W222 S550 Sedan, or a C217 S550 Coupe. I have a few questions I would like to ask (for anyone who may own such a car).
  1. How do the interiors of these cars hold up over time? - If there's one thing I absolutely cannot stand, it would have to be interior rattles, creaks, clicks, etc. One can only assume (and hope) that these cars are built to high enough standards that there wouldn't even be a possibility of such noises developing, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually had first-hand experience with what I'm talking about.
  2. What exactly should I be looking for? (if anything) - With most cars, there's usually something that should be avoided, what's the case with the S Class?
  3. How is general reliability/dependability? - I'll start by saying that I'm looking at purchasing one of these vehicles with around 40-60k miles from a dealership with a warranty. Now I tend to drive my cars more than the average person, and I want a car that (if I ever needed it to) would be able to take me from one side of the country to the other without breaking a sweat. Is this something that I'd have to worry about?
I'm new here so please forgive any mistakes I may have made while creating this post. Regardless, I'm looking forward to your responses!
Old 07-02-2024, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 522 Likes on 389 Posts
222 S-65
Hello George....

A 222 chassis car is tough to beat. I’ve had two. S550 and S65. AMG cars much more fun. They are more reliable than any S-Class that precede them. My S65 has over 135,000 miles on it. It is now old enough that things are happening. I just got to do sunroof rails. That was a treat. The interior has held up well. Everything about audio works. Bermester audio is wonderful. My cars have been rear drive. As such equipped with Magic Body Control. This is an active suspension system that has to be experienced to be appreciated. Zero body roll through turns. Excellent body control. Bumps disappear. You just don’t feel them. 4matic cars all got air ride. Good system. Very different driving experience than MBC. All wheels driven better for wet miserable places like Washington. Carbon Ceramic brakes are on my list of must haves. Brake pads and rotors last and last. Rare option that is worth looking for. I prefer the bent-12. No more coil packs for the 279 V-12. More fuel, but there is so much more to life than good gas mileage. Seven speed transmission is a good one. S-65 still has a torque converter so it is more civilized. Peter aka BenzNinja can do software tricks to the car that will bring out it’s best. Intelligent lighting. Last mode remembered gets rid of annoying stop-start. Additional modes for the transmission. Hot climate programming for HVAC. There is more. All good stuff. Drive some cars... S550 with AWD, rear drive, with MBC. Drive some AMG cars. S63 and S65 are very different cars, even from each other. Careful about the AMG cars.... First hit is free!
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnLane:
BenzV12 (07-03-2024), carlosinseattle (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 10:51 AM

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
Mercedes S560
I agree about MBC - ordered it with my '18 S560, wonderful.

But, in my area, very hard to find other cars with MBC...very few sold, never stocked by dealer. Good luck in finding one.
Old 07-03-2024, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,696 Likes on 1,728 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
This is a fabulous car, one of the best cars in the world. With that said it is a very complex car and it was built and designed to perform first, and be easy and inexpensive to repair maybe 10th. So, its going to be expensive. Is it worth it? I think so.