"Best Way to ship your car." Forbes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 10:25 AM

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
Mercedes S560
"Best Way to ship your car." Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/l/bes...utm_medium=cpc

I have shipped several cars, the last one was our S560 from KY to ME and return. My experience has been that the "Shipper" simply searches out independent drivers whose rig fits your needs. It's worth while getting quotes. But, once the car is picked up, the "Shipper" is out of the picture.

This may not always be true, of course. But, what I'm saying is that the drivers and their rigs are independent contractors mostly.
The following users liked this post:
Baltistyle (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 522 Likes on 389 Posts
222 S-65
If you are shipping one car from BFE to BFN your choice will be a guy who tows usually an open trailer able to tow one or two cars. This rules out big companies with good reputations.

Some research will find the guy who tows one car at a time in an enclosed trailer. Expect to pay more for the service.
Old 07-04-2024, 12:08 PM

Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by JohnLane
If you are shipping one car from BFE to BFN your choice will be a guy who tows usually an open trailer able to tow one or two cars. This rules out big companies with good reputations.

Some research will find the guy who tows one car at a time in an enclosed trailer. Expect to pay more for the service.
Well, your abbreviations are clear as mud to me, but that's okay.

Actually, my experience in this tiny Kentucky town of 7,500, 65 miles from Cincinnati or Lexington, I can get any kind of a rig I want, and it doesn't rule out any company. Of course, an enclosed trailer or truck is more costly. YGWYPF.*

My guess is that you're in an urban area, and don't understand how to get along in Tinytown, USA.

*Figure it out yet?

Old 07-04-2024, 12:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,940 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
@Lou B your use of the word "shipper" in fact means broker in the freight world. A broker is a third party that takes your order, places it on an electronic load board, which is then "taken" or "picked up" by a carrier. The carrier is a company which holds a license to transport goods.

The carrier may or may not own its own trucks and may or may not employ drivers as full time employees. It's a fragmented industry. On the other hand, companies like Reliable and some others represent themselves as full service transport companies. The customer-facing image is that one "logo" handles the whole transaction. The equipment (tractor and trailer) may indeed have the company logo on it, but equipment ownership and employment status of the driver may not be with the "logo" company.

I have shipped with a broker with full success, no complaints.

Last edited by chassis; 07-04-2024 at 12:40 PM.
MBNUT1 (07-05-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 02:54 PM

Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by chassis
@Lou B your use of the word "shipper" in fact means broker in the freight world. A broker is a third party that takes your order, places it on an electronic load board, which is then "taken" or "picked up" by a carrier. The carrier is a company which holds a license to transport goods.

The carrier may or may not own its own trucks and may or may not employ drivers as full time employees. It's a fragmented industry. On the other hand, companies like Reliable and some others represent themselves as full service transport companies. The customer-facing image is that one "logo" handles the whole transaction. The equipment (tractor and trailer) may indeed have the company logo on it, but equipment ownership and employment status of the driver may not be with the "logo" company.

I have shipped with a broker with full success, no complaints.
I accept and thank you for your clarification, and apologize for my misuse of terms - I should have known better.
chassis (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 622 Likes on 411 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
There is no way around brokers to get the actual carriers, unless you yourself is a broker. Even dealers sometimes don't have access to carriers unless they have a broker account. Almost 99.99% of brokers in the US use the same platform to post your car waiting for a carrier to accept the pickup and drop off locations. The best that we (regular consumer) can do is to work with a "fair" broker. This means, if they charge you 1000 USD, I'd hope that they are posting the car on the broker-only website for 900 USD or more so that it can be picked up quickly. A bad broker would first try to post it for 500 USD (as an example) to make 50% profit, and would start to increase the offer slowly until it's picked up which causes delays for you.

I buy most of my cars out of state when I go pre-owned, and finally was able to find a fair broker who would even tell me straight how much he will be posting it for (usually he'd take only take 5-10% for himself and use 90-95% of what I paid him to post it on the brokers website. Also, a fair broker would help you pay a fair amount that is not too low so that you wait forever, and just high enough for a carrier/driver to pick up the posted car quickly. Some brokers would be happy to promise you a very cheap rate, but you may have to wait then weeks and weeks until a desperate driver picks it up.
chassis (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 05:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,940 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
montway.com is a good broker. They shipped a Porsche 2,400 miles for me, full satisfaction.
MBNUT1 (07-05-2024)