S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

W223 news, rumors, articles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 785 Likes on 505 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
The interior looks better than I expected. I suspect he final version will be awesome. They went from traditional to ultramodern, but it is still at the level of finish and quality you expect from Mercedes.

The exterior I don't like so much. The current S-Class looks much more premium than this. Especially the rear end. The rear of this S-Class looks Korean to me.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 785 Likes on 505 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Chucky3000
Spot on.

Also the car looks dated already - dated as in this looks like it could be from the 90s. There's no future feeling to it. Just the two screens doesn't make this the car of the future. Even Tesla had this 6 years ago. And Tesla managed to make the interior look like the future. Why didn't they at least go with the concept from the EQS? It might still have been weird looking - but at least it looks like it's from the next decade not the previous.

I think the new S interior looks a lot like this concept.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:34 PM

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
'07 CL550
The gauge cluster screen looks like it’s crooked and not attached to the car, but rather just sitting loosely on the steering column. The giant gaping hole (HUD?) is unsightly, but I strongly suspect this car is partially disassembled, and that hole is supposed to include other hardware used to mount the gauge display and HUD. I can’t imagine them leaving the hole so visible.

I don’t love the rectangular vents, but I can tolerate them. If the gauge display is mounted properly and the hole above it goes away, the interior starts to make sense. It can be quite clean, minimalist, and modern, and the combination of wood trims and leather dash with contrast stitching can spruce it up. I’ll give them the benefit of doubt till we see the finished product.

The rear end looks like facelift E class, similar to how the W222 rear looked like the pre-facelift E class. It‘s not very distinctive, but not ugly either.

The front end’s general shape is fine by me, but the grille looks tacky. Something about the double line horizontal bars, and the centre sensor cluster integration, just looks like a botched nose job as someone else here said.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 E300 Luxury Package 2020 GLS 450

Some rear seat images. The back actually looks promising with lots of quilted leather wood trim and new touchscreen controls/tvs brings the S in line with rear seat tech in the 7 series and A8. Only issues I see are that the quilting is a little overboard and monotonous and the seats look almost thin compared to the W222. I like how the current W222 breaks up the design in the quilting as opposed to a wall of diamond stitch. The front interior is a disaster and I can only hope that there is a lot unfinished about this prototype. Front end on the exterior is actually ok, sleek and modern while being a little less reserved than the W222. I think the front camera housing is the least elegant solution I have ever seen, especially considering it folds out on the current model. Hate the rear end and thats all I can say about it. The taillight housing is weird as hell. Overall the W223 is looking to be a disappointment but I'm going to wait on any judgment until the official reveal as the design could still change (hopefully).
Old 05-12-2020, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I think the new S interior looks a lot like this concept.
But imo not enough like it. I like the EQS concept pic way way better than the actual W223 pics.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,274 Likes on 2,036 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Germancar1
The internet is afire right now lol. Ahh....a new S-Class leaks. I truly believe that most will be in love with this car when it hits showrooms. It will of course move the bar in so many ways, but for me personally I hope the quality and drive are improved, not that there is anything wrong with the W222, but for the sake of convincing buyers to accept these dramatic new changes. I don't like the rear end treatment either, but I'm open minded about the interior. I can't wait to see the official pics in different colors, read all the specs and te. How horriblech, get the model lineup. I am betting the Maybach treatment of this car will be epic.

M
This.
I remember all the endless whining when the W222 S-Class was introduced. How horrible and non-distinctive it was compared to the W221, which in my opinion already looked like an old dated car in 2014.
Now there are several things I don't care on the car (both on the exterior and interior) but I will reserve judgment until seeing a properly equipped W223 S-Class.

Ideally I would take the EQS Vision as-is...
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
MBNUT1 (05-12-2020), QuadBenz (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 01:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GL550
It seems like the car is in the junk yark, ready to be crushed. It would be possible since its a pre-production car...
Old 05-12-2020, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 684 Likes on 445 Posts
Current/Last 5-years:S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:S550, BMW X7; X5;BMW 530e;20'Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by NaviTimer1
It seems like the car is in the junk yark, ready to be crushed. It would be possible since its a pre-production car...
even though, the production car would look 98% just like this car. Differences will be VERY minor to the fact that you won't even notice it. Very unfortunate!
Old 05-12-2020, 02:18 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
No such thing as bad publicity
Old 05-12-2020, 02:22 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
S400
Maybe I'm first, but I like it. I'm sure the finished version will be even better.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,091 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
In February of 2018, I participated in a new car survey. The main subject was the upcoming All Electric “EQS,” and they had an early, pre-production model there, that we could sit in. In addition, they had a Tesla Model S, Audi A8, Porsche Panamera, BMW 750, an MB E350 Sedan AND a pre-production “W223” S Class sedan. It was a very long event, lasting several hours. Afterwards, I participated in a round table discussion, which centered mostly around the EQS. As usual, I was outspoken and told them, flat out, that I HATED the look of the EQS and that the S Class sedan they had there was just GORGEOUS!

In May of 2018, I was invited again to do a follow up. They had the same cars there, but this time, the “W223” had the extended grill “snout,” and a few other changes, which I felt, really messed up the look of the W223 I had seen in February. Of course, I told them so.

Anyway, the exterior of the car shown in this thread, is pretty much the EXACT same as what I saw in May of 2018. The only thing I really remember about the interior of that car was the huge screen in the center stack and it looks almost exactly the same.
QuadBenz (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,015 Likes on 739 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by wizee
The gauge cluster screen looks like it’s crooked and not attached to the car, but rather just sitting loosely on the steering column. The giant gaping hole (HUD?) is unsightly, but I strongly suspect this car is partially disassembled, and that hole is supposed to include other hardware used to mount the gauge display and HUD. I can’t imagine them leaving the hole so visible.
Kind of hoping that you are right and it literally is an A class panel that they just stuck there for temporary purposes.
C280 Sport (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 424 Likes on 350 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by WI11C4S

Some rear seat images. The back actually looks promising with lots of quilted leather wood trim and new touchscreen controls/tvs brings the S in line with rear seat tech in the 7 series and A8. Only issues I see are that the quilting is a little overboard and monotonous and the seats look almost thin compared to the W222. I like how the current W222 breaks up the design in the quilting as opposed to a wall of diamond stitch. The front interior is a disaster and I can only hope that there is a lot unfinished about this prototype. Front end on the exterior is actually ok, sleek and modern while being a little less reserved than the W222. I think the front camera housing is the least elegant solution I have ever seen, especially considering it folds out on the current model. Hate the rear end and thats all I can say about it. The taillight housing is weird as hell. Overall the W223 is looking to be a disappointment but I'm going to wait on any judgment until the official reveal as the design could still change (hopefully).
The interior from the back is fine. Rear seat entertainment and some other rear seat tech is all part of the S Class. I remember back in the 80's on my W126 I had rear heated seats! What a car! Today we have some screens. I am ok with it. It is everything inside in the front is where the train seems to fly off the tracks. I agree my final judgement will be when I see and drive one. But unfortunately I am 99% sure this is the car
places (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...

The front

M
As mentioned, I viewed this design—or at least one very similar—at an MB sponsored survey in 2018. My recollection of the extended “snout” at the grill surround is that it looked “tacked on” and completely ruined the flowing lines of the front end. If you can imagine seeing this photo from a more 3/4 angle, perhaps you will get what I’m trying to say. It did not look good to me and I can’t imagine why they did it. Just to be different?
Old 05-12-2020, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Hi everyone,

I have been following this thread for a while, so I just wanted to share my thoughts regarding the recent leak. I myself am reserving major judgement until the reveal and to when I actually experience the car on hand. Based on the low quality of the leaked images, I really can't say much regarding the overall appearance of the car: no side view, no 3/4 angle, or even the wheels themselves. Another thing to consider is the specification of the car. It's a pre-production prototype with a color choice that does not exhibit the cars lines (whether inside or outside) all that well. In short, I can't consider things as a whole to give an overall opinion. However, that being said, there are a few things that stand out based on the photos, primarily the rear end of the car. I wouldn't call it ugly, but its just very reminiscent of the new Lexus ES or even a Q50....and yes not as unique as the W222.

I think most of us are just having a hard-time accepting what maybe in store for the next generation. I don't blame anyone, as I was like that as well throughout time. When the W220 came out, people were not very pleased with the subtle styling and departure from the imposing nature of the W140. Now people say it's very elegant. With the W221, the wheel arches and the column-shifter were some of the initial complaints. Now, people are admiring how bold the car looks with the wheel arches. With the W222, many thought the car reminded them of a Hyundai (which baffles me). I guess what I am trying to say is that with each generation S-Class, many though less of the car initially but ended up changing their judgement during the cars life-cycle. I guess many have to adapt to these changes and only time will tell. Hopefully, Mercedes continues to maintain their superiority
MBNUT1 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The front
M
You know guys, this new MB is bearing a striking similarity to, dare I say, THIS:

AND, I am assuming that the “W223” here has the AMG Line Pkg. I believe the non-AMG Line car will look even MORE like the Genesis.

Last edited by Streamliner; 05-12-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:31 PM

'07 CL550
The overall shape of the car still looks nice to me. I don't see any weird front protrusion. It does look like there will be more of a gap than before between the grille chrome and the hood ornament - not sure I like that.

The rear end is a bit plain, but I think we'll come to accept it. There's nothing ugly about the rear end. You could argue that the W222/W213/W205 sedans and C216 CL class copied the taillight and rear end design from the Acura CL and RL models of the late 90s and early 2000s.

MBNUT1 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 09:40 PM

'07 CL550
The W213 E-class facelift gives another hint at what the W223 front end will look like. The W223 front grille is taller than the E class version, and protrudes from the bonnet more horiziontally - that's a good thing, since the vertical gap between the top of the grille and the hood ornament on the E class looks awkward. Thus, I think the S class front end would at least look better than the E class, aside from the somewhat clumsy integration of the camera into the sensor cluster.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:42 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
Perspective...the evolution off the the S class

Old 05-12-2020, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
BAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

The Maybach in the old days preempted the W223! (in all seriousness, I didn't think this ever made it to production?)

Skip to the 5 minute mark.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,274 Likes on 2,036 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Chucky3000
Also - they have that black screen on the front grille which I understand but they couldn't integrate a camera or sensor better? There is literally nothing symmetric or right about this.

I assume this would be the night vision camera. Still looks like they have the cover for the surround camera.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:17 AM

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
My guess is that is the standard camera. This will allow constant video while driving for things like augmented navigation unlike my W222 where the front camera flips open during parking. I think that is a lovely looking and conservative exterior. I also think that is a very nice interior. I do like the easy accessibility of buttons, but the most important buttons are climate control except for having speedy access to my 360 degree camera system which I frequently use.

It's also a lovely interior. Nothing wrong with it. No, it's not as well integrated as a Bentley but there was probably great thought put into the displays. That looks like the largest HUD display I have ever seen. That HUD is going to be groundbreakingly avante garde and kick *** over anything that is currently in existence. Nothing Bentley could do.

Last edited by bkdc; 05-13-2020 at 01:24 AM.
QuadBenz (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Originally Posted by Erik_350
Hi everyone,

I have been following this thread for a while, so I just wanted to share my thoughts regarding the recent leak. I myself am reserving major judgement until the reveal and to when I actually experience the car on hand. Based on the low quality of the leaked images, I really can't say much regarding the overall appearance of the car: no side view, no 3/4 angle, or even the wheels themselves. Another thing to consider is the specification of the car. It's a pre-production prototype with a color choice that does not exhibit the cars lines (whether inside or outside) all that well. In short, I can't consider things as a whole to give an overall opinion. However, that being said, there are a few things that stand out based on the photos, primarily the rear end of the car. I wouldn't call it ugly, but its just very reminiscent of the new Lexus ES or even a Q50....and yes not as unique as the W222.

I think most of us are just having a hard-time accepting what maybe in store for the next generation. I don't blame anyone, as I was like that as well throughout time. When the W220 came out, people were not very pleased with the subtle styling and departure from the imposing nature of the W140. Now people say it's very elegant. With the W221, the wheel arches and the column-shifter were some of the initial complaints. Now, people are admiring how bold the car looks with the wheel arches. With the W222, many thought the car reminded them of a Hyundai (which baffles me). I guess what I am trying to say is that with each generation S-Class, many though less of the car initially but ended up changing their judgement during the cars life-cycle. I guess many have to adapt to these changes and only time will tell. Hopefully, Mercedes continues to maintain their superiority
I think all generations were great besides the W220, the Chrysler era was a bad time....
Old 05-13-2020, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Originally Posted by WI11C4S

The pictures reveal that is finally playing catch up to the current 7 series, in terms of rear seat tech.

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 05-13-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman
Not sure they the W222 never had any rear seat climate settings. The pictures reveal that is finally playing catch up to the current 7 series, in terms of rear seat tech.
My '19 S63 has rear seat climate settings. One could order the rear seat packages with rear climate control for the entire W222 production period from 2013 until now I believe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W223 news, rumors, articles