S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

2021 NEW S Class - First video of the new MBUX and interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 08:41 PM

Received 116 Likes on 66 Posts
2019 S65 Coupe, 2017 S650 Maybach Convertible, 2020 S560 Sedan, 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S
A few years ago on a few Lexus models, Lexus changed the blinker handle to return to center while still blinking. Which meant that every time I turned on the blinker A): it did not lock into the left or right position (No tactile feel if the blinker engaged or not) B): I had to look at the dashboard to verify if the blinker was working or not. (I hated it and vowed I will never buy a car with such a feature) Some things work best based on simple tactile feel that can easily and intuitively be operated without even looking. In addition, Not everything is worth computerizing. It makes sense to have Navigation, programming of certain settings and preferences, etc done through a touch screen since you tend to do these things either once or before you start your drive. Zooming in and out of Nav and flipping between nav screens while driving also makes sense since you might want different information displayed at different times. For these things, yes, please give me a beautiful, bright, easy to use screen. But for all the other basic functions such as volume control, scrolling between memorized stations, AC controls, window and sunroof controls, please give me buttons! I'm even ok with dual or tripple controls, where you can operate the radio for example by buttons, touch screen or mouse, or by voice controls. In my opinion, most if not all users will quickly default to using buttons for most radio, A/C and window operations. Especially since the average S-Class buyer is in a higher age group demographic. As to the design, to each their own. My gut feeling is that the real frustration is lack of buttons and less about having a screen in the middle. I'm personally ok with the screen in the middle console if its proportionally sized and is properly integrated into the design. I have a 3 year lease on my 2020 S560 and I have the luxury to wait and see what the new S-Class will turn out to be. Mercedes is not immune and will lose sales if it does not respect its core customers. Lexus had a pretty substantial loyal customer base for its LS sedan, but lost many of them when the new LS500 came out. (Its ugly, too techi, not luxurious and worst of all, they ignored the wishes and the likes of their core LS customers assuming they will stay with Lexus no matter what. Instead, their sales dropped like a rock since that car did not attract many new buyers and existing loyal customers left them in droves, including yours truly)
The following 2 users liked this post by amir1:
stever500 (07-16-2020), Todd in PA (07-16-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,687 Likes on 2,111 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by amir1
A few years ago on a few Lexus models, Lexus changed the blinker handle to return to center while still blinking. Which meant that every time I turned on the blinker A): it did not lock into the left or right position (No tactile feel if the blinker engaged or not) B): I had to look at the dashboard to verify if the blinker was working or not. (I hated it and vowed I will never buy a car with such a feature) Some things work best based on simple tactile feel that can easily and intuitively be operated without even looking. In addition, Not everything is worth computerizing. It makes sense to have Navigation, programming of certain settings and preferences, etc done through a touch screen since you tend to do these things either once or before you start your drive. Zooming in and out of Nav and flipping between nav screens while driving also makes sense since you might want different information displayed at different times. For these things, yes, please give me a beautiful, bright, easy to use screen. But for all the other basic functions such as volume control, scrolling between memorized stations, AC controls, window and sunroof controls, please give me buttons! I'm even ok with dual or tripple controls, where you can operate the radio for example by buttons, touch screen or mouse, or by voice controls. In my opinion, most if not all users will quickly default to using buttons for most radio, A/C and window operations. Especially since the average S-Class buyer is in a higher age group demographic. As to the design, to each their own. My gut feeling is that the real frustration is lack of buttons and less about having a screen in the middle. I'm personally ok with the screen in the middle console if its proportionally sized and is properly integrated into the design. I have a 3 year lease on my 2020 S560 and I have the luxury to wait and see what the new S-Class will turn out to be. Mercedes is not immune and will lose sales if it does not respect its core customers. Lexus had a pretty substantial loyal customer base for its LS sedan, but lost many of them when the new LS500 came out. (Its ugly, too techi, not luxurious and worst of all, they ignored the wishes and the likes of their core LS customers assuming they will stay with Lexus no matter what. Instead, their sales dropped like a rock since that car did not attract many new buyers and existing loyal customers left them in droves, including yours truly)
You are SO right! Between 1993 and 2012, I had EIGHT, brand new, top line Lexus LS sedans. I loved those cars and would still be driving one as my daily driver, if Lexus had not gone to their idiotic “spindle grill” design language. When I had my 2015 S550 and was awaiting the arrival of my 2018 S560, I drove a new LS500, since Lexus had touted this new car for over two years as being something truly unbelievable in the world of luxury sedans. I was so underwhelmed! The V6 felt like a V6. The ride was brittle, even on an air suspension model. They had strayed so far from what I loved about their cars, that I found the LS500 to be a bad joke, not a world class luxury sedan.

MB has taken too much of a leap from tradition with this new S Class interior, IMHO. Oh well, THEY know what’s best for us. We will see if they hang onto customers such as myself.
The following users liked this post:
ccww (07-17-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 04:01 AM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
W205
Well I don't drive an s class but if they put this in the new c class I will move to an other brand. I feel nothing for this empty Tesla look.
The following 4 users liked this post by Doa:
absent (07-16-2020), Chrisk03 (09-14-2020), places (07-16-2020), stever500 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Doa
Well I don't drive an s class but if they put this in the new c class I will move to an other brand. I feel nothing for this empty Tesla look.
Based on early reports look like the C is getting a similar look.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/23/...ior-uncovered/
Old 07-16-2020, 09:09 AM

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Originally Posted by places
Based on early reports look like the C is getting a similar look.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/23/...ior-uncovered/
the front Intelligent Headlight system and the triangular taillight theme seem to be the brand identity look throughout the entire range for this generation.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:05 AM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
W205
Sadly... I like the fact you can see from far away if it's a c, e or s.
Now you will need to look at details to figure out if it's an a, c, e or s... I wish the cla was based on the c class as that would be my next pick but I don't want fwd or a fwd based awd car. I also don't need all this new mbux tech... Wtf i don't want to talk to a car...
Old 07-16-2020, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Given the disruption with COVID and the recent German recovery incentives limited to EV's only, I see a rapid progression in model changes and updates. The industry will take advantage of the current situation to shed unneeded jobs and restructure for the future. High time IMO.

If anything, we will see an increased move towards new tech and EV's rather than the other way around. Mercedes will be dropping more slow selling models and traditionalists will likely have to start looking for a different brand if they don't like what they see in the S-Class. Mercedes will not cater to you...
The reality is that the US is not the largest market for the S-Class anymore and while people can dismiss China, besides being the largest market, the biggest difference are the age demographics. The average Mercedes buyer is 10 years younger than in the US and 15 years younger for the S-Class.

iDrive 7 was a response to MBUX so you can watch for BMW to follow in the footsteps; won't expect anything else for Audi either.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 AMG SL55,2015 S550 4MATIC, 2023 BMW X5
The new S looks good from the outside - very derivative of the W222 - which is good. I don't care for the tacked-on look of the drivers led screen and the large screen dominating the center console. BMW did this too & it makes those giant screens look like an after thought.

I much prefer the integrated look of the interior on my W222.

John
Old 09-06-2020, 12:16 AM

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
Well I’m actually a little excited about the prospect of the EQS coming around the corner which will be far more luxurious than any Tesla offering and will likely include many S class innovations. I think the W223 S Class will sell well and targets the 30-40 something market in China. I guess the audience is split. Some want the flagship S class to stand out whereas I appreciate the classy design signature which may look similar to a C or E class. We all know that the difference is night and day when you sit in the cabin..

Last edited by bkdc; 09-06-2020 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by amir1
I get what you're saying here overall, but how is a Lexus LS too techy? It's outdated compared to every other car in the class. I think the design, rough ride and lack of a V8 played more a part in it's sales drop vs any outdated tech on board. The real problem is that Lexus let the LS460 go 10 years and it lost ground to the W221 during those years and then got slaughtered by the W222.

M
Old 09-06-2020, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Doa
I have to ask if you've been in a Tesla. The Tesla literally has a screen and nothing else. This Mercedes has a central screen that it similar to the Tesla for sure, but the rest of the car is still Mercedes. This whole thing about it being a Tesla is just flat ridiculous IMO. The Mercedes interior is still in another world luxury wise vs a Tesla with a computer monitor and nothing else, not even any gauges behind the steering wheel.

M
Old 09-06-2020, 06:54 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 S560 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Germancar1
I have to ask if you've been in a Tesla. The Tesla literally has a screen and nothing else. This Mercedes has a central screen that it similar to the Tesla for sure, but the rest of the car is still Mercedes. This whole thing about it being a Tesla is just flat ridiculous IMO. The Mercedes interior is still in another world luxury wise vs a Tesla with a computer monitor and nothing else, not even any gauges behind the steering wheel.

M
Well, that's not really true. They did away with almost all physical switches and dials. What's remaining is mostly capacitive touch controls, which cannot be operated by feel like a physical control can. The analog clock is gone. The console, while using premium materials, has become a series of giant flat slabs, mimicking the spartan Tesla.

I'm not saying I hate everything about the new car, but it is important not to gloss over the fact that Mercedes has drastically altered their interior priorities, and many traditional Mercedes-Benz fans will be left in the dust.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Speednet
Well, that's not really true. They did away with almost all physical switches and dials. What's remaining is mostly capacitive touch controls, which cannot be operated by feel like a physical control can. The analog clock is gone. The console, while using premium materials, has become a series of giant flat slabs, mimicking the spartan Tesla.

I'm not saying I hate everything about the new car, but it is important not to gloss over the fact that Mercedes has drastically altered their interior priorities, and many traditional Mercedes-Benz fans will be left in the dust.
No disrespect but Mercedes does not and should not care about leaving some traditional MB fans in the dust. And neither does any other brand; Porsche, BMW, Audi have to go forward on high tech cars, including the human interfaces, for a reason: stay ahead or be left behind.

The sixty plus demographic is not the S-Class demographic anymore. Same even with Bentley or Rolls Royce. Traditionalists will scoff at 22” or 23” wheels or a bling starry headliner. What separates those brands is the focus on exclusivity, rich materials and buyers with a large car park.

These are not daily drivers and how technically uptodate they are is somewhat secondary.

Last edited by Wolfman; 09-06-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have to ask again, have you been a Tesla? It's literally a steering wheel and a computer screen. The S-Class is not that. It still has the build, quality and should have the feel of a Mercedes. You're talking about the screen and buttons, I'm talking about the entire interior. Giant flat slabs? Yeah of wood and leather, not cheap plastic like Tesla. Yeah some might, some won't and they may draw in new buyers. We don't know that yet, it's all speculation at this point. A screen based layout doesn't make it a Tesla clone with an interior like that.

M
Old 09-06-2020, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M
Old 09-06-2020, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Informative. Seems like what we know so far is just the tip as far as the tech and safety features go. Have to admit, although I'm not a fan of the styling, this car is quite intriguing.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:02 AM

2020 S560 4MATIC
I have to ask again, have you been a Tesla? It's literally a steering wheel and a computer screen. The S-Class is not that. It still has the build, quality and should have the feel of a Mercedes. You're talking about the screen and buttons, I'm talking about the entire interior. Giant flat slabs? Yeah of wood and leather, not cheap plastic like Tesla. Yeah some might, some won't and they may draw in new buyers. We don't know that yet, it's all speculation at this point. A screen based layout doesn't make it a Tesla clone with an interior like that.

M
If you would take some time to read my post you would see references to mimicking Tesla, not a clone. I am not a black & white person, I actually take the time to explain myself. Yes, giant flat slabs. And I already said the materials were good. You really should take a chill pill and read, rather than react.

Last edited by Speednet; 09-07-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:05 AM

2020 S560 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Wolfman
No disrespect but Mercedes does not and should not care about leaving some traditional MB fans in the dust. And neither does any other brand; Porsche, BMW, Audi have to go forward on high tech cars, including the human interfaces, for a reason: stay ahead or be left behind.

The sixty plus demographic is not the S-Class demographic anymore. Same even with Bentley or Rolls Royce. Traditionalists will scoff at 22” or 23” wheels or a bling starry headliner. What separates those brands is the focus on exclusivity, rich materials and buyers with a large car park.

These are not daily drivers and how technically uptodate they are is somewhat secondary.
I did not say if leaving traditional fans in the dust was good or bad. I was making an observation. I purchased a loaded 2020 S560 so I don't need to worry about buying the new model. I can sit back and observe without being worried about loving or hating it. For now I can make objective comments as a car fan, rather than as a fanboi or hater.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:25 PM

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts
a
Originally Posted by Wolfman
These studies are completely irrelevant with looking at voice control systems versus natural language AI. Comand is a great example of the outdated Linguatronic tech employed in some Mercedes models. Learned keyword-based commands that are often not recognized is distracting, even infuriating. Whereas few people have problems with Alexa, Siri and other AI assistants as it's the same as speaking to other people and these are constantly evolving systems.

Saying you are hot when you like the car to dial down the AC shouldn't be as difficult as balancing a checkbook
Get out a stopwatch and time how long it takes to say "Hey Mercedes, <wait>, I'm cold, <wait>, OK I'm turning the temp to 80 degrees, <wait>, temp changed"

Now use the stopwatch to time how long it takes to press a button. (And actually they should have kept the temp control as a dial rather than a rocker switch).
Old 09-07-2020, 04:12 PM

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
'20 s560; '15 targa4s; '24 cayenne
aaaaand i have seen two video demonstrations from corporate now where the occupant says, 'hey mercedes' AND NOTHING HAPPENS!!!! they have to repeat it a second time before mbux acknowledges the salutation. you would think that corporate would have edited out that problem for the marketing promo. and we all know it's gonna be glitchy like that. harbinger of things to come.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:26 PM

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts
a
Originally Posted by ajm0623
aaaaand i have seen two video demonstrations from corporate now where the occupant says, 'hey mercedes' AND NOTHING HAPPENS!!!! they have to repeat it a second time before mbux acknowledges the salutation. you would think that corporate would have edited out that problem for the marketing promo. and we all know it's gonna be glitchy like that. harbinger of things to come.
Within a couple of days mine activated multiple times when I didn't want it to so I've turned it off. For comparison I've never had Hey Google activate by accident.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The tech will likely be loaded with gremlins. It will take a few years to refine and work out the kinks. I wouldn't expect it all to work perfectly, especially in year one models.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you would take some time to read my post you would see references to mimicking Tesla, not a clone. I am not a black & white person, I actually take the time to explain myself. Yes, giant flat slabs. And I already said the materials were good. You really should take a chill pill and read, rather than react.
Yeah I read what you said, and you're saying giant slabs, but you didn't say what they were. Yeah we know the materials in a Benz are going to be better than a Tesla. You really should learn how to explain yourself better, that might help. The Tesla influence stops at the center screen. The "giant flat slabs" aren't exactly flat nor do they resemble a Tesla.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 09-19-2020 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 GLS450
Informative. Seems like what we know so far is just the tip as far as the tech and safety features go. Have to admit, although I'm not a fan of the styling, this car is quite intriguing.
I have a fairly well loaded 2018 S560 4MATIC. And aside from the item about the emergency corridor forming for emergency vehicles, all the others items are already supported on my vehicle. Sure, it does not have the fancy graphics on the display, but the functions are fully supported. They even had a few recalls on them.

What am I missing with respect to these being interesting?
Old 09-07-2020, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

The tech will likely be loaded with gremlins. It will take a few years to refine and work out the kinks. I wouldn't expect it all to work perfectly, especially in year one models.
How so? Didn't happen when the W222 came out and I don't recall any MBUX issues. What kind of kinks took years to work out in the current models?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2021 NEW S Class - First video of the new MBUX and interior