2021 NEW S Class - First video of the new MBUX and interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,458 Likes on 962 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Wolfman
How so? Didn't happen when the W222 came out and I don't recall any MBUX issues. What kind of kinks took years to work out in the current models?
You're right, all this groundbreaking first of it's kind tech (and tons of it) will be perfect. Flawless out of the gate. Software updates, "hey Mercedes", MBUX will all perform at 100% while operating all of the most sophisticated ever made car systems at the same time. I stand corrected.

Furthermore the jump in tech and advancement between the 222 > 223 is significantly greater than 221 > 222.

Last edited by places; 09-08-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
If MB can offer with the W223 and other future models the sort of OTA updates that Tesla has been able to, the buyer doesn't need to be as wary as he might have been in the past about buying a "first year" car, imo.
The following users liked this post:
bkdc (09-09-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 12:32 PM

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
a
Originally Posted by salamigs
I have a fairly well loaded 2018 S560 4MATIC. And aside from the item about the emergency corridor forming for emergency vehicles, all the others items are already supported on my vehicle. Sure, it does not have the fancy graphics on the display, but the functions are fully supported. They even had a few recalls on them.

What am I missing with respect to these being interesting?
There is hardly anything new here. It's just the S-Class catching up to the other current models.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by places
You're right, all this groundbreaking first of it's kind tech (and tons of it) will be perfect. Flawless out of the gate. Software updates, "hey Mercedes", MBUX will all perform at 100% while operating all of the most sophisticated ever made car systems at the same time. I stand corrected.

Furthermore the jump in tech and advancement between the 222 > 223 is significantly greater than 221 > 222.
Just asked you what had failed so dramatically previously that you think will take several years to correct

So, of course things can fail but while much of the tech is innovative, most of it exists already in prior iterations. 580 engines are in the GLE/GLS just like e-active suspension. So are the i6's. Same with MBUX & augmented reality navigation (just not HUD). Digital light has been available before (on non-US Maybach's) and we may not see that here soon. Touchscreens and capacitive buttons are old-school elsewhere.

Our MBUX in the GLE does work 100 times better than the old Comand in the S-Class or our 2018 E63s. That was painfully laggy and very limiting. MBUX voice command has been reasonably good IMO, also easily distinguishing between driver and passenger. It could still use a faster processor but that seems to be the case in the S.

Where I see issues is with the user identification. Fingerprint sensors are often terrible and we have to see of how the shuffling of data works across users (seats). Those are gimmicks IMO.

Last edited by Wolfman; 09-08-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 GLS450
You mean catching up to itself? I see not much of a difference in this department between W222 and W223... That is what I meant in my post.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:57 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by salamigs
I have a fairly well loaded 2018 S560 4MATIC. And aside from the item about the emergency corridor forming for emergency vehicles, all the others items are already supported on my vehicle. Sure, it does not have the fancy graphics on the display, but the functions are fully supported. They even had a few recalls on them.

What am I missing with respect to these being interesting?
The W222 S Class has Level 2 autonomous driving, the 223 is the first Mercedes with the Level 3 autonomous driving and partial Level 4. The Drive Pilot also lets you go for extended periods without holding the wheel but I think they're waiting on the legal ability to activate it.
Originally Posted by darlop
There is hardly anything new here. It's just the S-Class catching up to the other current models.
Mercedes copied the 3D rotatable camera system, the side impact system, rear-wheel steering and a blind spot monitoring system. They've never needed to catch up with anyone, the sales figures prove that. My 15/16 S8 didn't even have half the features my late 13 S Class had, it was only 2 years ago where they got similar technology. Which current model in this segment has level 3 autonomous driving, augmented reality, 3d dashboard, the ability to move mirrors based upon the angle of the user's eye, a '4D' sound system, lights that have the ability to project lane guidelines onto the road, ai that's constantly scanning the passengers to help them ie turning on a light in the dark through Interior Assist when they passenger is looking for something, 100km battery range in a hybrid, a chiropractor to adjust the seat into the perfect position etc. You may think of it as gimmicky but its all of these things put together that have made sure that I've had an S Class for the last couple of decades and hopefully will continue to over the next few.
The following 2 users liked this post by UrBusted:
LOGOSDJ (09-08-2020), places (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 06:28 PM

a
Originally Posted by UrBusted
Mercedes copied the 3D rotatable camera system, the side impact system, rear-wheel steering and a blind spot monitoring system. They've never needed to catch up with anyone, the sales figures prove that. My 15/16 S8 didn't even have half the features my late 13 S Class had, it was only 2 years ago where they got similar technology. Which current model in this segment has level 3 autonomous driving, augmented reality, 3d dashboard, the ability to move mirrors based upon the angle of the user's eye, a '4D' sound system, lights that have the ability to project lane guidelines onto the road, ai that's constantly scanning the passengers to help them ie turning on a light in the dark through Interior Assist when they passenger is looking for something, 100km battery range in a hybrid, a chiropractor to adjust the seat into the perfect position etc. You may think of it as gimmicky but its all of these things put together that have made sure that I've had an S Class for the last couple of decades and hopefully will continue to over the next few.
I was referring to other Mercedes. My GLS has most of the same tech.
The following users liked this post:
places (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,458 Likes on 962 Posts
No more MB:(
The W222 S Class has Level 2 autonomous driving, the 223 is the first Mercedes with the Level 3 autonomous driving and partial Level 4. The Drive Pilot also lets you go for extended periods without holding the wheel but I think they're waiting on the legal ability to activate it.

So does the GLS already have most of the upcoming tech in the new S?
Old 09-08-2020, 08:53 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
My bad, I thought you meant current rival models
Old 09-08-2020, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
It is true that a lot of the tech on the new S is in other Mercedes models and in competitors. The S-Class used to debut everything and it would trickle down, but the days of mechanical innovation for ICE are drawing to a close and most (not all) innovation from here on will be in the form of electronics and that means they might debut on whatever the newest Benz is at the moment. A stunning change from years ago. With a 7 year cycle for most Benz models, the old trickle down from the S-Class days are over. I mean the A-Class and CLA have a better and/or more advanced infotainment setup than the W222. As do the GLE and GLS. Unheard of, but true. Expect the 2022 C-Class to have even more advancements. Ditto for the next GLC and SL. Tech debuts wherever from now on.

M
Old 09-08-2020, 11:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 GLS450
[QUOTE=UrBusted;8152433]The W222 S Class has Level 2 autonomous driving, the 223 is the first Mercedes with the Level 3 autonomous driving and partial Level 4. The Drive Pilot also lets you go for extended periods without holding the wheel but I think they're waiting on the legal ability to activate it.

You are correct on the terminology (with the potential exception of Level 4, but beyond the point). I was referring to the video that was posted above by one of the members. From within the items advertised in that video, with the exception of the emergency vehicle corridor item, every single one of them exists on my 2018 S560 as advertised.

Otherwise, you are absolutely correct on Level 2 vs. Level 3, where the major item that makes the difference is the LIDAR. But there was nothing in the video about that... Sorry if that did not come out clear.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
[QUOTE=salamigs;8152778]

You are correct on the terminology (with the potential exception of Level 4, but beyond the point). I was referring to the video that was posted above by one of the members. From within the items advertised in that video, with the exception of the emergency vehicle corridor item, every single one of them exists on my 2018 S560 as advertised.

Otherwise, you are absolutely correct on Level 2 vs. Level 3, where the major item that makes the difference is the LIDAR. But there was nothing in the video about that... Sorry if that did not come out clear.
A number of videos have been posted here but I hope nobody is under the illusion here that the W222 S-class is technically anywhere near the W223.
Comparing the autonomous capabilities of the the two cars is like saying an old 2005 iPod is the more or less the same as the latest iPhone 12. I guess both can play music but that’s about it...

Old 09-18-2020, 06:53 PM

a
Originally Posted by Germancar1
It is true that a lot of the tech on the new S is in other Mercedes models and in competitors. The S-Class used to debut everything and it would trickle down, but the days of mechanical innovation for ICE are drawing to a close and most (not all) innovation from here on will be in the form of electronics and that means they might debut on whatever the newest Benz is at the moment. A stunning change from years ago. With a 7 year cycle for most Benz models, the old trickle down from the S-Class days are over. I mean the A-Class and CLA have a better and/or more advanced infotainment setup than the W222. As do the GLE and GLS. Unheard of, but true. Expect the 2022 C-Class to have even more advancements. Ditto for the next GLC and SL. Tech debuts wherever from now on.

M
I agree there is not much physically left to add to cars at this point. It's all about software. We've already heard BMW talking about "cars as a service" and charging you a monthly fee for using your heated seats.

But this thinking goes both ways. How can they justify holding back software updates for older cars? For example my GLS has the same interior assistant feature as the S-Class but it only has 2 gestures. Will they add the gesture to open the sunroof for my car?
Old 09-19-2020, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I agree there is not much physically left to add to cars at this point. It's all about software. We've already heard BMW talking about "cars as a service" and charging you a monthly fee for using your heated seats.

But this thinking goes both ways. How can they justify holding back software updates for older cars? For example my GLS has the same interior assistant feature as the S-Class but it only has 2 gestures. Will they add the gesture to open the sunroof for my car?
Probably not unless you want to go down this (terrible) slippery slope of paying for features to be activated or added after you bought a car. It's a messy thing and the automakers are greedy AF and they will make that a regular thing IMO. I hate it personally, but I'm sure there are those willing to pay.

M