S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

When is E-Active Body Control Coming out for 2021 S Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 04:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE 400
When is E-Active Body Control Coming out for 2021 S Class?

Although Mercedes is heavily promoting E-Active Body Control in all of their marketing, it is not actually an option that you can currently select when buying the car, and it is not standard. AIRMATIC is a separate system, and is standard, but does NOT include E-Active Body Control.

My dealer doesn't know what is going on with E-ABC. To confirm, I called MB USA and they checked their documentation and confirmed it is not included, and is also not available. They had no date for release.

This is pretty ridiculous in my view, for what it's worth.

Does anyone have any rumors or hard info on when this will actually get released?
Old 10-13-2020, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by gle400
Although Mercedes is heavily promoting E-Active Body Control in all of their marketing, it is not actually an option that you can currently select when buying the car, and it is not standard. AIRMATIC is a separate system, and is standard, but does NOT include E-Active Body Control.

My dealer doesn't know what is going on with E-ABC. To confirm, I called MB USA and they checked their documentation and confirmed it is not included, and is also not available. They had no date for release.

This is pretty ridiculous in my view, for what it's worth.

Does anyone have any rumors or hard info on when this will actually get released?
Is MBUSA is advertising or promoting the car? AFAIK, the car is just listed as an upcoming model and many dealers will be clueless about most features/options and likely don't know exactly what they are really ordering for customers. So no reason to really complain; you are just very early in the process and will be able to add options as they become available before the order is locked.
On the plus side the US already has first dibs on the S580, a car not even offered in Europe.

The E-ABC suspension is expected to be available for ordering in spring 2021 and deliveries in June. This is for European deliveries; we'll have to see about the US.

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-13-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:36 PM

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 S550
This is pretty ridiculous in my view
Yes, it is.
Can't wait?
Well, at the moment you won't find this technology anywhere but Audi.
Make no mistake, they were the first.
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...ip-model-11905
Old 10-14-2020, 04:14 PM

GLE 400
Originally Posted by Kaloteck
Yes, it is.
Can't wait?
Such a travesty. Mercedes had Magic Body Control last version which is replaced by E-ABC but now because E-ABC is delayed, basically the S-class is losing any type of active suspension at launch.

I also feel they are being less than transparent about this. They are talking about E-ABC in all their marketing. It's not like in the U.S. dealer ordering guide that you can select E-ABC and it is delayed - it's just not there. So actually my sales guy told me "oh it's probably just included in the S580". But it turns out its not.

You know what the real risk is here? What if E-ABC is actually delayed until the 2022 model year? That would be the true travesty because then any early customers are basically screwed.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it is.
Can't wait?
Well, not quite...
For one, Mercedes has fully active suspensions for over 20 years (unlike Audi). They also had predictive fully active suspensions since 2014 (for road surfaces)
What Audi brought to the table was accident prediction for side impacts. That was a fantastic idea from the guys 20 years late to the game

E-ABC does a whole lot more than Audi's suspension...
Old 10-14-2020, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Such a travesty. Mercedes had Magic Body Control last version which is replaced by E-ABC but now because E-ABC is delayed, basically the S-class is losing any type of active suspension at launch.

I also feel they are being less than transparent about this. They are talking about E-ABC in all their marketing. It's not like in the U.S. dealer ordering guide that you can select E-ABC and it is delayed - it's just not there. So actually my sales guy told me "oh it's probably just included in the S580". But it turns out its not.

You know what the real risk is here? What if E-ABC is actually delayed until the 2022 model year? That would be the true travesty because then any early customers are basically screwed.
You are obviously joking.
MBC orders were well below 5% of W222 sales. So 95% of customers get a better suspension than they already had in their W222's. Sounds like you just had a clueless salesman, as MBC was never "just included" either. That was a $4300 option, hence very few people bought it.
When companies introduce new models it doesn't mean that every option or model is available from the start. For the US this will be a certainty as only some options and models make it across. If I recall, the A8 V8 version took a year to show up in the US but was introduced at the same time.
Level 3 & Level 4 parking will likely not make it across to the US for years... Likely the same for digital light.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:19 PM

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
E-ABC does a whole lot more than Audi's suspension.
Nah, it's all the same, really...

"There are compact electric motors located close to each of the Audi A8’s wheels
Whenever the driving physics try to force the body down on the wheel, for example on poorly surfaced roads, predictive active suspension counteracts this effect. An extremely sharp impulse – as encountered on the racetrack, for example – will produce a very short but high energy demand of potentially up to 6 kilowatts."

Old 10-14-2020, 05:22 PM

2015 S550
Mercedes had Magic Body Control last version which is replaced by E-ABC but now because E-ABC is delayed, basically the S-class is losing any type of active suspension at launch.
That is exactly right...
Old 10-14-2020, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Nah, it's all the same, really...

"There are compact electric motors located close to each of the Audi A8’s wheels
Whenever the driving physics try to force the body down on the wheel, for example on poorly surfaced roads, predictive active suspension counteracts this effect. An extremely sharp impulse – as encountered on the racetrack, for example – will produce a very short but high energy demand of potentially up to 6 kilowatts."
This is similar to saying that most cars are the same, really, as they all use a combustion engine
Love to see an A8 wiggle itself out of a snowbank...

Old 10-14-2020, 05:33 PM

GLE 400
You are obviously joking.
MBC orders were well below 5% of W222 sales. So 95% of customers get a better suspension than they already had in their W222's. Sounds like you just had a clueless salesman, as MBC was never "just included" either. That was a $4300 option, hence very few people bought it.
When companies introduce new models it doesn't mean that every option or model is available from the start. For the US this will be a certainty as only some options and models make it across. If I recall, the A8 V8 version took a year to show up in the US but was introduced at the same time.
Level 3 & Level 4 parking will likely not make it across to the US for years... Likely the same for digital light.
For the record, I'm also super irritated about Digital Light and Level 3/4 Parking - which are also 100% vaporware. I'm also unhappy that the "first class" option is also not available in the U.S.

I bet more than 5% of W222s had MBC. It's so core to the S class. S class is synonymous with active suspension at this point.

I think Mercedes was just worried that if they owned up to the fact that E-ABC is delayed, then the press would have been all over them at launch and they wanted to stay on message. So they are going to wait a few months and then drop that it is delayed - possibly until 2022 Model Year, which is outrageous.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

For the record, I'm also super irritated about Digital Light and Level 3/4 Parking - which are also 100% vaporware. I'm also unhappy that the "first class" option is also not available in the U.S.

I bet more than 5% of W222s had MBC. It's so core to the S class. S class is synonymous with active suspension at this point.

I think Mercedes was just worried that if they owned up to the fact that E-ABC is delayed, then the press would have been all over them at launch and they wanted to stay on message. So they are going to wait a few months and then drop that it is delayed - possibly until 2022 Model Year, which is outrageous.
The lack of Digital Light and Level 3/4 Parking has little to do with Mercedes. You can thank the US government for not getting digital light. L3/L4 autonomous driving is hampered by legal issues in the US.
We have had ABC in many cars and we purchased it in every car it was available in but it is a rarity in the US. The S class is unfortunately not synonymous with active suspensions as many W222's are sold as 4matic with no MBC option (RWD only). Go to cars.com and try to find MBC in the 1800 plus RWD listings...

I for one am surprised that they even call the S-Class a 2021. Personally I also couldn't imagine ordering a car from a rev.1 DOG. There are so many configurations missing...

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-14-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:13 AM

2015 S550
I love my MBC, it works great. Thing is though, I got accustomed to it all, which means it's really nothing special anymore.
I'm ready for more, but Benz is not.
Guess I'll take my money elsewhere, plain and simple.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:26 PM

GLE 400
I love my MBC, it works great. Thing is though, I got accustomed to it all, which means it's really nothing special anymore.
Yeah... The fact that this is a problem is just sad. They should at least let us order it and give us the date when it is coming out, instead of pretending that they are launching the feature and not talking about the details.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you can't wait for the S-Class to actually come out, given that spring of 2021 is the date anyway... Orders will be changeable likely into early next year if you want to be the first.
If you want to take your money elsewhere I wonder where to?
I can't see a competitor to the new S-Class. Neither the A8 or 7 series are at this level...
Old 10-15-2020, 01:12 PM

2015 S550
MBC orders were well below 5% of W222 sales.
It's a shame the American consumer often overlooks this option on the few cars that offer it.
Dealers would rather sell a $5k sound system which they can easily demonstrate to the potential buyer.
So this way the buyer either doesn't know about the active suspension system or can't understand how spending thousands more is worth it over what the car already comes with.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:41 PM

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
2023 G550
I plan to be very patient, and simply wait it out for the various features I’d really like to have. I don’t mind at all having to wait for a 2022 S-class, or even a bit longer. My biggest ‘need’ is the S-class hybrid. I’d prefer the non-ICE/pure electric S, but that may be a lot further out.

Last edited by JetRanger; 10-15-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

It's a shame the American consumer often overlooks this option on the few cars that offer it.
Dealers would rather sell a $5k sound system which they can easily demonstrate to the potential buyer.
So this way the buyer either doesn't know about the active suspension system or can't understand how spending thousands more is worth it over what the car already comes with.
Completely agree!
This is more evident on the SL's than any other MB model. Every previous R230 SL had the ABC suspension (eventually leading to high failure rates) by default while the later R231 SL defaulted to springs unbeknowst to many. The improved and trouble-free ABC became a $4k option. ABC is now a rarity in the used SL market...
MBC is the same as ABC btw. The MBC just adds a camera and software for road surface scanning and predictive adjustments (a $300 difference)..
Old 10-16-2020, 08:30 PM

Received 177 Likes on 115 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)

I for one am surprised that they even call the S-Class a 2021. Personally I also couldn't imagine ordering a car from a rev.1 DOG. There are so many configurations missing...
Hi Wolfman, could you kindly clarify the many configurations that are missing? Or at least the major ones.
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
Hi Wolfman, could you kindly clarify the many configurations that are missing? Or at least the major ones.
Thanks.
The German configurator offers all interior trim options (particularly the rear seat options) to be available with the AMG trim. That's not the case with the rev.1 US DOG which doesn't offer most executive line included options to be available as an add-on option to the AMG line.
Options that are missing as indicated in this thread are the E-ABC and Magic Sky...

My assumption is all this become available in rev.2+
If there is an urgency to order an S-Class due to lease timing, it makes perfect sense to place it but we are at a time where the orders won't go into production for 3+ months. Personally if people can wait it may make sense to have all options become available with some demo cars on the ground to see which (especially interior) option matter to them and which not.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:48 PM

2015 S550
Originally Posted by JetRanger
I plan to be very patient
Yeah, good luck with that...
Old 10-18-2020, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
This is similar to saying that most cars are the same, really, as they all use a combustion engine
Love to see an A8 wiggle itself out of a snowbank...
An A8 wouldn't have to wiggle itself out of a snowbank.

You're right, an A8 isn't at the level of an S class. It actually has a classy interior that will age well. Exterior wise - both cars are boring, but at least the rear of the A8 looks elegant.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:00 AM

GLE 400
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
An A8 wouldn't have to wiggle itself out of a snowbank.

You're right, an A8 isn't at the level of an S class. It actually has a classy interior that will age well. Exterior wise - both cars are boring, but at least the rear of the A8 looks elegant.
An A8 is really just a Volkswagen though at the end of the day. Lexus and Audi (and Acura) should be classified as pseudo-luxury brands. This is why they are cheaper - they re-use most of the parts from consumer cars. I don't really feel like they are competitive.

As an example, a lot of reviewers end up comparing the S-class to Rolls-Royce and Bentley; I don't think I've ever heard anyone compare an A8 to a Bentley. Sorry, just had to get in on the opportunity to flame Audi
Old 10-19-2020, 01:02 AM

GLE 400
The German configurator offers all interior trim options (particularly the rear seat options) to be available with the AMG trim. That's not the case with the rev.1 US DOG which doesn't offer most executive line included options to be available as an add-on option to the AMG line.
Options that are missing as indicated in this thread are the E-ABC and Magic Sky...

My assumption is all this become available in rev.2+
If there is an urgency to order an S-Class due to lease timing, it makes perfect sense to place it but we are at a time where the orders won't go into production for 3+ months. Personally if people can wait it may make sense to have all options become available with some demo cars on the ground to see which (especially interior) option matter to them and which not.
I ended up emailing my dealer and asking him to add the E-Active Body Control to my order. We'll see what happens. I'll post an update when I get a confirmation but I think it is almost definitely going to cause a delay.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
An A8 is really just a Volkswagen though at the end of the day. Lexus and Audi (and Acura) should be classified as pseudo-luxury brands. This is why they are cheaper - they re-use most of the parts from consumer cars. I don't really feel like they are competitive.

As an example, a lot of reviewers end up comparing the S-class to Rolls-Royce and Bentley; I don't think I've ever heard anyone compare an A8 to a Bentley. Sorry, just had to get in on the opportunity to flame Audi
Using this logic, an S class is nothing more than a C class. :P

Cars are judged as a sum of their parts, and seriously though, with this logic, a Maybach shouldn't even exist. It's a 'pseudo luxury brand' then.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic

All that you accomplished is that relative to the A8 you showed that you really aren't a car guy.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 10-19-2020 at 10:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (10-19-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When is E-Active Body Control Coming out for 2021 S Class?