S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

When, when, when??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 01:28 PM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Did a salesman tell you that? What makes you guys think there is a delay? It certainly isn't an 8 month delay. You're just exaggerating at this point. You're creating an issue when there really isn't one. I don't know why anyone would tell you January 2021 when this car was never intended to be delivered then. It's dealership misinformation and with each passing post here it gets worse. I would go around the dealer and call MBUSA directly. Every car company right now is having some sort of delay that is the world we live in. If they come back and tell you a chip shortage or some other reason, then what? It doesn't change anything with the actual delay.

M
I think that there is a delay because my car has been sitting at the Brunswick, Georgia, VPC for more that 2 months and Mercedes cannot give me a delivery date. Maybe, if you had a 2021 S Class on order since last September, you would understand why I want some information on what is delaying my car. But, you do not have a 2021 S Class on order and are in no position to criticize those who do. Pontificating about “What makes you guys think there is a delay?” is out of order. And do not misquote me and say that I am “just exaggerating”. My car was ordered 8 months ago, that is a fact, and I was given a delivery estimate of mid January-early February by the dealer. The way Mercedes is treating their customers who have ordered an S Class is not acceptable and we would like some answers.

Last edited by TwinCam; 05-13-2021 at 01:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TwinCam:
BloomfieldTeddy (07-24-2021), retiredandhappy (05-14-2021), Sonic Boom (05-19-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by TwinCam
I think that there is a delay because my car has been sitting at the Brunswick, Georgia, VPC for more that 2 months and Mercedes cannot give me a delivery date. Maybe, if you had a 2021 S Class on order since last September, you would understand why I want some information on what is delaying my car. But, you do not have a 2021 S Class on order and are in no position to criticize those who do. Pontificating about “What makes you guys think there is a delay?” is out of order. And do not misquote me and say that I am “just exaggerating”. My car was ordered 8 months ago, that is a fact, and I was given a delivery estimate of mid January-early February by the dealer. The way Mercedes is treating their customers who have ordered an S Class is not acceptable and we would like some answers.

I guess you didn't read my earlier response. Unfortunately your ordering timeline has nothing to do with final release of the vehicle for that country. There is no delay; the netstar info is completely irrelevant pre-launch; that car would not have been delivered in January or February no matter COVID or Chip shortage or anything else.
It completely sucks to wait for a car that you ordered and have sitting. This has happened to many others unfortunately with several brands, not just MB.

There is a forum member that is waiting for his 2021 AMG GT63; built in Nov of last year, is already financially invested in the car and still doesn't have it to this day. Still at VPC. Different reason, same frustration.

That said, MB has to be blamed for false expectations. Based on that schedule they should have never called it a 2021model...
Old 05-13-2021, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
For one there is a severe lack of just general knowledge here about how new cars are certified for sale here. Secondly, just because I don't have an order doesn't mean I don't have common sense or that I haven't ordered a new car before and waited on it. I'll tell you again, your dealer is giving you misinformation, there was never any way this car was going to be delivered in January. The W223 wasn't even shown until September 2020, and there is no way you ordered one then, you likely put down a deposit for one, and there is no way a car shown in Sept in Europe will be on sale in January in the U.S. I don't need a S_Class order to know how this works. You guys are victims of dealer misinformation and generally not knowing how this works. No car released in Europe in Sept will be released to customers in Jan of the following year in the U.S. I agree they should be more forth coming with information, but this Sept-Jan/Feb timeline is totally unrealistic and shouldn't have been given to you by the dealer. That' all I'm saying here, not that you don't have the right to be upset. It was misinformation from the start.

M
Old 05-14-2021, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
For one there is a severe lack of just general knowledge here about how new cars are certified for sale here. Secondly, just because I don't have an order doesn't mean I don't have common sense or that I haven't ordered a new car before and waited on it. I'll tell you again, your dealer is giving you misinformation, there was never any way this car was going to be delivered in January. The W223 wasn't even shown until September 2020, and there is no way you ordered one then, you likely put down a deposit for one, and there is no way a car shown in Sept in Europe will be on sale in January in the U.S. I don't need a S_Class order to know how this works. You guys are victims of dealer misinformation and generally not knowing how this works. No car released in Europe in Sept will be released to customers in Jan of the following year in the U.S. I agree they should be more forth coming with information, but this Sept-Jan/Feb timeline is totally unrealistic and shouldn't have been given to you by the dealer. That' all I'm saying here, not that you don't have the right to be upset. It was misinformation from the start.

M
This is 100% correct.
The earliest the new S Class could have been released was April.
Recent Mercedes new car launches have been delayed, in part due to the new EPA testing regimen.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:09 AM

Just for some clarification. I did order the car in September, dealers had allocations and the order guides from MBUSA. The order was accepted by Mercedes in September. My car was built in February and arrived in Brunswick in early March. And there it sits. If the hold up on delivering the car is due to the new EPA regimen, why doesn’t Mercedes just say so?
The following users liked this post:
retiredandhappy (05-15-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Just for some clarification. I did order the car in September, dealers had allocations and the order guides from MBUSA. The order was accepted by Mercedes in September. My car was built in February and arrived in Brunswick in early March. And there it sits. If the hold up on delivering the car is due to the new EPA regimen, why doesn’t Mercedes just say so?
Mercedes told the dealers that the EARLIEST the S Class would be released was Spring 2021.
If your dealer misinformed you that is on them, not MBUSA.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:42 PM

Where did you find this information? I found a number of reviews that said Spring 2021 and “first half of 2021”. It was noted above that “No Way” did I order the car in September. I called my dealer and they said my order was placed on September 21 and Mercedes required a change on September 30 to add the warmth package because I had ordered exclusive Napa leather. The dealer then gave me the PO# and VIN for my car and said that I can contact MBUSA and they will confirm the order was placed in September.

Last edited by TwinCam; 05-16-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where did you find this information? I found a number of reviews that said Spring 2021 and “first half of 2021”. It was noted above that “No Way” did I order the car in September. I called my dealer and they said my order was placed on September 21 and Mercedes required a change on September 30 to add the warmth package because I had ordered exclusive Napa leather. The dealer then gave me the PO# and VIN for my car and said that I can contact MBUSA and they will confirm the order was placed in September.
I stand corrected on your actual order. We're still in the first half of the year. No car company is going to blame the EPA if that is what is holding it up. That is not a normal practice especially for a car that isn't technically "late" or delayed. This is why I said all this about the reason is only going to make you more upset. You will never know what the real reason is and we're still in the time frame that they said, whether it's Spring or first half of 2021. The misinformation is driving this frustration, not something MBUSA is or isn't doing. Watch and see, one day soon dealers will all have them just like nothing happened.

M
Old 05-19-2021, 04:04 PM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
Similar situation for me. I ordered in SEP20 and car entered production early DEC20. Produced and trucked to German port arriving late JAN 21 and sat there. I was happy assuming I’d get it FEB/MAR21. Dealer said (supposedly) they have no control of the actual shipping; only MB Germany does.

Waited and waited and after repeated calls to dealer and last “story” I git was that a bunch of the cars (over 240] had a part issue that was holding shipping. Dealer didn’t know what was the part. I asked how could a car be marked complete and sent to port with missing part? Said it happens sometimes and they have some sort of shop at port.
Last update was parts issue resolved and shipped.

Not sure if it’s the truth or not. Dealer could say anything and I have no say; he could of said “you car fell of the truck and had to build a new one and I’d still not have a say or be able to question/doubt him LOL.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
S 580
Originally Posted by rnpalmer
My dealer just told me July some time for launch. Anyone with a clue? Additionally I've recently seen pricing. Any idea on residuals or money factors as yet? Finally, My S580 has been sitting in port (Germany) since 4/9 with no ship assigned to it. I really haven't received a good explanation as to why so maybe some of you ladies and gentlemen can explain it to me. Cheers, RP
Hi Rick, thank you for reaching out! We apologize for the U.S. 2021 S-Class release but we're excited to say that they will be in dealerships next month! This is from MBUSA👏👏
Old 05-20-2021, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
S-Class’ Sitting at the Port

My salesman sent me this, look at how many W223’s are just sitting waiting to go home to their owners.

The following users liked this post:
300SE1993 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 05:35 PM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
Originally Posted by js_cls
My salesman sent me this, look at how many W223’s are just sitting waiting to go home to their owners.

Where is this port? Germany or Stateside?
Old 05-20-2021, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
Where is this port? Germany or Stateside?
Baltimore, Maryland.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:20 PM

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
'20 s560; '15 targa4s; '24 cayenne
Originally Posted by js_cls
Baltimore, Maryland.
nothing but a sea of black, grey and white. again. nothing ever changes. yawn.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When the flip the switch every dealer in America will be awash in S-Classes.

M
Old 05-21-2021, 07:19 AM

Good news, thank you js cls! I called MBUSA and all they would tell me is “they will be released soon, check with your dealer”. I asked if the cars were held up for EPA certificate of compliance and they said “different issue, check with your dealer who is your best source for delivery information”. So, I called back my dealer who said that the last information received from MBUSA was that delivery would likely start in June. Mercedes did temporarily shut 2 plants in Germany in April due to the chip shortage, but the Sildenfingen plant kept running. LED screens were also in short supply.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:16 PM

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
2020 E53 CABRIOLET 2021 S580 (TRADED), 2023 EQS580 SEDAN SEDAN
My S580 came off the line May 10th, was on the Apollon Highway Vessel May 16th, the ship is moored in England right now, tomorrow leaves for Baltimore and then on to Brunswick. With the release date bouncing around, if true, will sit in Brunswick for at least 4 weeks? As far as pricing, anyone with a built car has a MSRP Sheet but with the computer chip problem that will probably change, I would think that's why there is no pricing on the Mercedes U.S. Website?
Old 05-23-2021, 12:21 PM

Chatting with MBUSA is like chatting with my dog, not many real answers just "talk to your dealer"! And, it seems like every dealer has a different release date answer.
It jerks my chain that a huge company like Mercedes can't be honest and forthcoming with their customers?
Old 05-23-2021, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Although I don't know, I would assume some cars are built that are still awaiting parts, but many cars have been shipped to other countries and are awaiting the "launch date". Do you think the cars that are shipped are complete? I would hope so. There is something we don't know or need to know, but Mercedes accepted our orders, and for those who's cars have been built, sitting parked outside for months is not right.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:46 PM

Not Right, it's terrible! I mean Mercedes is at fault for not keeping their (most times) loyal customers in the loop better [I mean order a 2021 car and hope you get it before it's a year old and the 22's are out] than they are but the pandemic and the fallout from poor judgement, planning or guessing by subtractors and suppliers I think is the real issue? Pandemic hit, things got shut down, everyone figured lockdown, no going out or traveling! As time went on people figured it was safer traveling by car, most times alone and instead of the car market crashing it picked up. I didn't realize that the "new computers on wheels" takes 50 to 150 computer chips to make everything function. You know a tricked out S Class is probably closer to 150 than 50? Supply and demand is a slippery slope. So now there is a chip shortage, our relation with China isn't the best for trade so I think price increases is a reality from all manufacturers, china or elsewhere. I'd bet China will supply chips to friendlier nation before we see them? It's all rumors and B.S. now with no actual facts coming from anyone, particularly Mercedes, time will tell?
The CEO of Mercedes in September told us how wonderful the new S Class is, I'm sure like myself everybody went wow, I need one on those! And now the frustration of waiting. My car was supposed to be built the end of June, moved to the beginning of May. Off the line 05/10, on ship 05/16, due in port 06/03 and (we'll see) how long of a wait from there. Some of you people have been waiting four, five months already, sorry!
Old 05-23-2021, 03:04 PM

I spent many years heading a joint venture with the Chinese government. Beijing Benz Automotive Company, the equivalent of MBUSA, is 51% owned by a Chinese billionaire who is very well connected with the government. China is Mercedes largest market with a huge potential for growth, while the US market is mature. The S Class is the preferred car of government officials and Chinese businessmen. I suspect that the limited number of semiconductor chips at Mercedes are going into S Class cars for China in exchange for certain market accommodations, at the expense of US customers. Nothing would make Chinese government happier than to hear that the US S Class introduction was delayed, and not one S Class has been sold in the US market, in order to take care of Chinese officials. The cars sitting in the US are likely awaiting chips. If this sounds far fetched, read the Daimler AG quarterly report which highlights the importance of the Chinese market and covers the impact of the chip shortage. I may be completely wrong, but the secrecy on the part of Mercedes leads me to believe that the delay in the S Class introduction in the US is solely a marketing decision. No one at Mercedes is talking.

Last edited by TwinCam; 05-23-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:22 PM

You may certainly be correct. I just don't see the marketing advantage to the wait and release date being a moving target, although if June 1st does happen then it's not moving? As far as marketing I could see if they released it as a 2021 1/2 like Ford has done, then people think, oh boy, I'm getting a 2022 early, I think you're spot on with your China theory. When I ordered mine I knew up front about the wait, but some of the folks that bought last year didn't. Buy a new Mercedes (US Market),, told mid year release, now mid year might be closer to third quarter? I'm hoping in the next few weeks things straighten out and we know more?
Old 05-23-2021, 03:37 PM

The moving target is because the chip shortage became more acute as the year went on. Daimler AG recently stated that they expect the chip shortage to subside by year end when more capacity comes on line. I don’t know where Mercedes sources their chips, but a major fire at a chip plant in Japan aggravated the situation and the power outages in Texas also had a negative effect on US chip production.
https://6park.news/en/mercedes-benzs...d-traffic.html

Last edited by TwinCam; 05-24-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vegas Benz
Although I don't know, I would assume some cars are built that are still awaiting parts, but many cars have been shipped to other countries and are awaiting the "launch date". Do you think the cars that are shipped are complete? I would hope so. There is something we don't know or need to know, but Mercedes accepted our orders, and for those who's cars have been built, sitting parked outside for months is not right.
You guys are only doing this to yourselves. You all have run amok with assumptions now. Holding yards for cars have been used since forever. Cars sit outside all the time, for months, this is nothing new. You're probably right about it being something you don't need to know about. Now what would bother me is getting a 2021 this late in the year. These should have been 2022 cars IMO.

M
Old 05-25-2021, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
2021 GLE 450
You all have run amok with assumptions now.
This forum is for the discussion of the new 2021 and 2022 S-Class. The car is being held up for some reason. The launch date was widely announced as 1st half of 2021. We still have a month and a week, but there are forum members that ordered their car early and were told an approximate build date and a guess at a time to be shipped (delivered). My car is scheduled to be built 3 decade July and hearing other members experience is helpful. Sharing our information and thoughts is why we are here. I don't recall anyone making statements that were harmful. Second hand statements were stated as such, as were assumptions and speculation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vegas Benz:
retiredandhappy (05-25-2021), TwinCam (05-25-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When, when, when??