S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Thoughts on my 2021 S580

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 10:00 PM

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
S580
Originally Posted by js_cls
I remember reading in the manual that there is a way to disable it, however it may also disable the 3D functionality.
there was a setting for Attention Assist but as you wrote it affects something else. I want to take advantage of the safety features, but some don't work well or just get in your way. @stlbenz posted a photo of a Tesla steering wheel that only has one option to hold for each hand. It shouldn't have to come to that.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:22 AM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by Old Rocker
A few more gripes...
Back to the door handles, if you exit and touch the handle to lock the car, it locks like it should. If you walk away to drop something off on one side away from the car and then walk back by your car to walk to go to another location on the other side, the proximity unlocks your car even though you are not going to the car, but just walking past it to another location. Now your car is unlocked just because you walked past it.

When you are driving very slow approaching a light, stop sign, or driveway, if there is even the slightest grade, when you take your foot off of the gas, the car starts to roll back. Most cars (even my previous 2021 GLE450) would not roll back unless there was a noticeable grade. I know when you take your foot off of the gas you expect you might need to put your foot on the brake to stop it from going forward because it is in drive, but you don't expect it to roll backwards. This is in scenarios where I am used to driving three other cars.

I've had backup cameras in my cars since my 2006 Lexus. This one is hard to see. I have the center screen brightness to max, but I think it tries to see too far away and nothing is real clear (compared to other cars, including a 2021 GLE). It may be acceptable, but is not as good as any other car I've driven.

This is a very expensive car and should not have these, and the issues in the original post above. It is still one of the nicest luxury cars available today and the quality seems fine, but most of my issues are operational and I don't think any of them are unwarranted gripes.
Bought my car yesterday. It rolled back today at a stop light! WTF!
Old 12-11-2021, 04:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Rockland
Bought my car yesterday. It rolled back today at a stop light! WTF!
I don't understand these complaints. Cars are evolving, why would you otherwise have bought a new one? This is for fuel economy. What is the difference if you need to brake to avoid the car going forward as if you need to be brake to avoid it going backwards? Also so easy as the car has brake hold plus it has hill start assist.

Perhaps you don't care about fuel economy. It is just that these cars would not be available if their fuel economy was not improved.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Roll-back is pretty common in hybrid and mild-hybrid equipped vehicles when using auto start stop, especially on heavier models regardless of brand.

Last edited by js_cls; 12-11-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:22 AM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Just turn off the auto start stop, it can cause a slight roll back on cars on the hill at stop light.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (05-18-2022)
Old 12-11-2021, 01:45 PM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by Old Rocker

The touch buttons on the steering wheel are inconsistent. Getting the info I want onto the driver display is not possible to configure. I want average MPG, actual odometer, and the ability to change music tracks. To be able to change multimedia tracks from the wheel you need to put Multimedia in the center location so you can’t have other info. My previous 21 GLE allows the 2 outside portions to be configured too.

I rely on my center screen to show directions or media, but when at a red light the Traffic Light screen comes on. There is a setting to turn it off, but I think it defaults to on next time you drive. I don’t want to keep turning off screens to get to the info I need (chose) while driving.
inconsistent touch buttons is being much too nice. They SUCK and really do not work. I also use only either the media or navigation on the center screen. Mostly media. Just want to be able to quickly change songs or radio stations. Just sat in my driveway for 45 minutes trying to practice moving the forward and backward buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. Easier to go forward. The Backward rarely works. More than half of the time the system thought my swipe was going up and down instead of side to side so it took me out of the media screen entirely and into some odometer setting. Bottom line is it just doesn’t work. I will have to take my eyes off the road and use the center touch screen which is dangerous. I turned in my BMW 760 for this. The IDrive system was flawless and was so easy to use. The BMW system just worked. I hate these controls and this touch screen.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
inconsistent touch buttons is being much too nice. They SUCK and really do not work. I also use only either the media or navigation on the center screen. Mostly media. Just want to be able to quickly change songs or radio stations. Just sat in my driveway for 45 minutes trying to practice moving the forward and backward buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. Easier to go forward. The Backward rarely works. More than half of the time the system thought my swipe was going up and down instead of side to side so it took me out of the media screen entirely and into some odometer setting. Bottom line is it just doesn’t work. I will have to take my eyes off the road and use the center touch screen which is dangerous. I turned in my BMW 760 for this. The IDrive system was flawless and was so easy to use. The BMW system just worked. I hate these controls and this touch screen.
No offense but this was all something you could have tested out before delivery. If you didn't like touchscreens before you bought the car, then the S-Class was never for you from the get-go.

Last edited by js_cls; 12-11-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:33 PM

Volvo XC90
No offense but this was all something you could have tested out before delivery. If you didn't like touchscreens before you bought the car, then the S-Class was never for you from the get-go.
My 760 lease was up and the new BMW isn’t available for a year. I special ordered this car. There is no downside to me driving this car for a year or so. You can’t learn if you like living with a car from a test drive anyway. It takes time. If I don’t grow to love this car I just get rid of it in 15 months. Not a major problem.
Streamliner (04-08-2022)
Old 12-11-2021, 02:47 PM

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
S580
I'm sorry you are experiencing the same issues as me. I think it is one of the best looking cars inside and out available, but those controls and the driving experience is not like other S-Class I have been in or drove. I feel every road imperfection, the seats are "sporty" comfortable rather then "luxury" comfortable, the acceleration when at a stop or when slowing for a red light, then when it turns green you tap the gas is not smooth. Something new is that at least 3 times the passenger side mirror did not go to the proper position needing a manual set. I continue to dislike that I can not turn off Traffic Light View permanently. The door handles continue to annoy. It would be nice if there was a setting to use them manually with the swipe to open or a tap to lock (like the previous versions).

You said you sat in your car trying to learn and get used to the controls. If you were in a dark place like your garage, it seems you can't turn off the head lights. This is an expensive luxury car. I'm not sure how I feel. The quality seems fine, but some of the tech is not necessary and gets in your way. Is it that much cheaper to use those touch controls rather then the previous real buttons on the steering wheel or seat controls? So far most of my gripes are personal preference, not warranty issues, but when I got the car, I asked the salesman to reset the MPG/Trip Odometer and he had to swipe left about 7 times before he was able to get it to reset. And when you press the Enter center button, it does not appear to do anything. It does reset, but stays on the screen making you wonder if you need to try again.

I admit I am not young and excited to learn all of this tech, but much of it just gets in the way or is confusing. Several settings can be disabled for the trip only and revert to on the next time you start the car, but the automatic braking system apparently can be turned on or off (I don't know), but sometimes I come to a light to see if it is going to stop me and I get too close to the car in front not to press the brakes myself. The users manual is several hundred pages and I can't remember it all, but I'm pretty sure the car has technology to (help) keep you from crashing, but I don't know if/when it is engaged.

It's a car, a really nice car, but if some of the features are confusing or make you unsure, they are worthless. For the high price, I expected a better experience.

Streamliner (04-08-2022)
Old 12-11-2021, 04:39 PM

Volvo XC90

Last edited by Rockland; 12-11-2021 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Found answer
Old 04-08-2022, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,099 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I have not driven my new car enough to know if some of these issues will grow on me, magically disappear or fester. My hope would be that if enough W223 owners COMPLAIN, to their dealers and to MBUSA, that software upgrades might fix several of these issues. It really is up to US! We here are the MB “enthusiasts,” and we NEED to make our feelings known. Give your dealership an EARFUL!​​​​​​! EVERY time you come into contact with a sales or service person, MAKE SURE TO TELL THEM if you are unhappy with various features. Call MBUSA and politely, but firmly TELL THEM how disappointed you are. If you really feel inspired, write a hard copy letter and FedEx it to Ola Kallenius and read him the riot act. Tell him how many previous MB’s you’ve owned and tell him why this one may be your last. If we only complain here, to each other, that doesn’t help.

I’m wondering: Has anyone in the world, backing out of a tight garage, hooked the extended door handle into the garage door portal? I don’t see why that could not happen and how expensive would that be to repair, especially if it really mangles the door as well?
Old 04-08-2022, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I’m wondering: Has anyone in the world, backing out of a tight garage, hooked the extended door handle into the garage door portal? I don’t see why that could not happen and how expensive would that be to repair, especially if it really mangles the door as well?
You'd have to have an incredibly tight garage for that, like extremely. Once you drive and/or hit the lock button the handles will retract. On top of that, the handles don't extend much (maybe a small number of inches) so if you hit the handles, you'll likely be damaging the door panel itself on top of that. Even with the handles extended, and mirrors folded, the car's widest point that would hit the garage would still be the folded mirrors most likely.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
You'd have to have an incredibly tight garage for that, like extremely. Once you drive and/or hit the lock button the handles will retract. On top of that, the handles don't extend much (maybe a small number of inches) so if you hit the handles, you'll likely be damaging the door panel itself on top of that. Even with the handles extended, and mirrors folded, the car's widest point that would hit the garage would still be the folded mirrors most likely.
Hitting the lock button is a good idea, but what if someone doesn’t? And, if backing out at an angle, the rear door handle can hit way before the mirror. Just playing devil’s advocate with yet another reason why the door handles are absolutely ridiculous.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:16 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
True. This retractable door handle, when extended, is probably as protruded as a traditional grip type handle.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bishop64
True. This retractable door handle, when extended, is probably as protruded as a traditional grip type handle.
Yes BUT, the previous, non-pop out handle would not “hook” anything. These new ones are just waiting to hook SOMETHING.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Hitting the lock button is a good idea, but what if someone doesn’t? And, if backing out at an angle, the rear door handle can hit way before the mirror. Just playing devil’s advocate with yet another reason why the door handles are absolutely ridiculous.
A normal door handle could also get damaged this way as well. For all we know the door handle may have an emergency retract if it detects damage? That being said, I'm not sure anyone is gonna want to test that theory

Either way, if you have a garage that tight, sound like you shouldn't be parking a big boat like an S-Class in it. I've had no issues with the door handles and their functionality so for me I have no qualms with them. I think you're worrying too much about very unlikely situations. Enjoy the car.
QuadBenz (04-10-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,772 Posts
2024 S580
If you were close enough to hook the door handle you'd obliterate the mirror...
Old 04-08-2022, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SW20S
If you were close enough to hook the door handle you'd obliterate the mirror...
Yes, BUT first you would hook the rear door handle and it is not nearly as visible to the driver as is the mirror. Obviously, such an incident would require some mistakes, but people make them every day, especially when they are in a hurry, maybe screaming kids in the car, their phone rings at the exact wrong instant, etc.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:43 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Look at this video of the EQE (begins at 19:48). Could this happen for the W223 too?
Old 04-08-2022, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,772 Posts
2024 S580
Yes, BUT first you would hook the rear door handle and it is not nearly as visible to the driver as is the mirror. Obviously, such an incident would require some mistakes, but people make them every day, especially when they are in a hurry, maybe screaming kids in the car, their phone rings at the exact wrong instant, etc.
I think thats a reach lol. You can't design a car against all the ways people can run it into things.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SW20S
I think thats a reach lol. You can't design a car against all the ways people can run it into things.
My point is that these new handles are a bad design. They have the ability to "hook" things. Crazy, stupid things happen all the time. A woman gets out of the back seat and her purse strap gets hooked in the handle and the car starts to drive away.
I know it's a one in a million possibility, but it wasn't ANY possibility with the old style handles. The new handles are not good, not an "improvement" and should never have been done.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bishop64
Look at this video of the EQE (begins at 19:48). Could this happen for the W223 too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mnlh0mz3z4&t=1171s
Oh my! Can you even imagine a small child getting their hand stuck in there??? I believe there will be lawsuits over these door handles.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
My point is that these new handles are a bad design. They have the ability to "hook" things. Crazy, stupid things happen all the time. A woman gets out of the back seat and her purse strap gets hooked in the handle and the car starts to drive away.
I know it's a one in a million possibility, but it wasn't ANY possibility with the old style handles. The new handles are not good, not an "improvement" and should never have been done.
Other brands including Tesla and Land Rover have used door handles like this for years, and I haven't heard any horror stories. Yes, they're not ideal, but I think you're thinking a bit too theoretical. I don't think they're *actually* dangerous.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
Other brands including Tesla and Land Rover have used door handles like this for years, and I haven't heard any horror stories. Yes, they're not ideal, but I think you're thinking a bit too theoretical. I don't think they're *actually* dangerous.
You're right. Only time will tell.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:36 PM

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 S580
Anybody know how to activate the "brake hold" function? Thanks in advance!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my 2021 S580