Dangerous situation and 2 minor issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by rickgurri
3 things. First is when i use the cruise control and let it drive itself in heavy traffic, it randomly beeps twice and jams the breaks. Very dangerous as someone could hit me in the back. This never happened with my wifes E350.

When I used to turn the car on the interior LED lighting would turn on. Some valet guy must have adjusted something because now the lights dont turn on until i enter the car.

Finally, my car used to have the accordion style lighting in the dark (where it opens up from the middle to the left and right. Very cool feature but I dont see it anymore.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
I thought I'd report for statistics that this "brakes slammed" thing occurred to me today for the first time. Not sure if this is the correct thread, I tend to remember reading more reports about this issue on some other thread but couldn't find anything else from the 10+ first pages of the forum.

I was driving pretty slowly on our country side road, no cruise activated and no other cars anywhere near me. Unlikely any RF interference, never happened to me on the road I drive frequently.

In my case it was just a fraction of a second of heavy braking, pre-safe activated (seat belt tightened). Speed got hardly reduced as braking was cancelled almost instantly. Nothing dangerous this time but it sure surprises you when brakes are applied and seat belt tightened out of the blue. Could have been a small bird or a rabbit near by but I did not notice any.

Someone suggested using less aggressive settings and I believe I have the related assistance settings in the middle range (cannot remember the details). Also looks like this is not happening very often any more as it has not been reported for a long time here. Perhaps W223 owners have moved to least sensitive settings?
Old 05-28-2023, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,099 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
My 2022 S580, when only a couple of months old, TWICE initiated a full blown, panic stop in fairly deserted stretches of multi lane highways. In both instances, I was lightly accelerating, going around 35mph, clear, sunny day, no wind, no debris on the road, I was looking straight ahead, no birds, etc. Seat belt cinched, warning sounds & lights on dash flashing and the car came to a complete stop. Scared the hell out of me. Thank goodness there were no vehicles behind me. Took it to the dealer and they said “no code,” vehicle is “operating as designed,” which sounded very close to “you’re lying, we don’t believe you.”

To be fair, I had a similar experience in my 2018 S560, but it was on a narrow two lane road in a semi rural area. The car was over a year old at the time. It never did it again, but you start to wonder: “If this could happen, what ELSE might happen?” Imagine an unneeded panic stop while on the freeway—at night—in heavy traffic—it’s raining—with a semi behind you. Sometimes I think these “safety” systems may be trying to do too much.

Last edited by Streamliner; 05-28-2023 at 11:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
Diesel Benz (05-28-2023), rnpalmer (05-29-2023)