S580 Brakes Failed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,826 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
This is where you really need to get the data from the car's computer. It seems possible that the person in the other car saw it correctly and the truck actually rolled into you but you perceived the closing gap that you were moving toward the truck and applied the brakes. This would make sense of all that you reported regarding the brakes.
Originally Posted by onebigfamily53
I have requested the data reports pre and post accident several times without any response from the local MB dealership as well as the case manager from MBUSA. Still waiting!

Question about your comment, would the vehicle alarm or sense the other vehicle getting close? Asking as our vehicle did not alarm or sense the other vehicle, no beeps or alarms of any kind, nothing on the center screen to reflect our vehicle was too close or would impact. The center screen actually went black as if it turned off like the vehicle did upon impact. Would the vehicle take photographs due to the impact? Thoughts???
Interesting thought of the truck rolling backwards into you. Our minds can play tricks on situations like that. To answer your question, no the collision warnings etc. would not go off if you are already stationary since there's nothing you or the car can do about it.
The following users liked this post:
onebigfamily53 (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S580
Originally Posted by chassis
@onebigfamily53 A letter from a lawyer requesting the data will get more attention than your letter will receive.
I will agree but trying not to go that route....hopefully MBUSA will provide some information as to the events. Keeping fingers and toes crossed at this point
Old 11-28-2021, 07:59 PM

S580
Originally Posted by Detailingdoc
Many years ago I was stuck in standstill traffic on the interstate behind a semi. All of a sudden i felt as if i was slowly rolling forwards towards the semi. I slammed on my brakes but no matter how hard I pushed the distance kept closing. Right before impact the semi started to move forward.

In this case it wasnt my brakes that were faulty it was just a perception issue where the truck was very slowly creeping backwards.
Just thought it was interesting given the witness account in your situation.
OMG...thank you for sharing though i am more freaked out as trying to figure out what really happened is stressful, traumatic and consuming...ugh!!
Old 11-28-2021, 08:15 PM

S580
Originally Posted by superswiss
Interesting thought of the truck rolling backwards into you. Our minds can play tricks on situations like that. To answer your question, no the collision warnings etc. would not go off if you are already stationary since there's nothing you or the car can do about it.
Yes interesting though would be a very far roll back...ugh! On that note, we just did a couple of mock trials of the situation with our MB loaner vehicle and a truck. One trial, on a slight incline to allow the truck to roll backwards to the stationary MB loaner vehicle then second trial on a flat surface with the MB loaner going forward towards the truck.

In both trials, the center screen reflected in yellow that something was close as well as the vehicle beeped/alarmed. Our vehicle at the time of the accident did not do any to this (screen notification, alarms/beeps) and even after the accident I have a video reflecting the same. However, in the both mock trials along with the notifications, the emergency assist system engaged even when I was actively braking as when the truck was approximately eighteen (18) inches to two (2) feet from the MB loaner's front bumper.. So right now I am not sure what to think....I know with all the feedback and information I have received in this forum of which I am truly grateful. I am determined more than ever to get the EDR reports, vehicle diagnostic report in its entirety and all camera recordings (front end camera recordings)
Old 11-28-2021, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by onebigfamily53
I have requested the data reports pre and post accident several times without any response from the local MB dealership as well as the case manager from MBUSA. Still waiting!

Question about your comment, would the vehicle alarm or sense the other vehicle getting close? Asking as our vehicle did not alarm or sense the other vehicle, no beeps or alarms of any kind, nothing on the center screen to reflect our vehicle was too close or would impact. The center screen actually went black as if it turned off like the vehicle did upon impact. Would the vehicle take photographs due to the impact? Thoughts???
Deleted. : Missed Superswiss's reply which I would say exactly the same thing.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 11-28-2021 at 09:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
onebigfamily53 (11-29-2021)