S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

The S580 Is Phenomenal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2022 | 11:15 AM

2022 S580
The S580 Is Phenomenal

Took the S580 for a solitary 3 hour drive yesterday. Woke up with a bit of a lower back ache. Still in the break in period so couldn’t be crazy aggressive but was still pushing it fairly hard. All types of terrain…inner city, highway, country roads. High speeds, low speeds etc. Got going turned on the hot back massage. Weather started off nice but got some intermittent rain.
The car performed exceptionally well. Like a perfect dance partner. I have the 4.5 degree rear axle steering and the maneuverability of the car blew me away. At times it felt like a much smaller sports sedan. I didn’t put it into S mode due to the break in period. But even in C mode it was responsive and fun to drive. The acceleration is quicker than the reported time by MB. I believe MT clocked it at 3.9 seconds which sounds right!The seats are unbelievably comfortable. My backache was gone by the time I got home! I encountered pot holes, broken pavement and the suspension was never harsh but very compliant. It could have been softer but IMHO they have found the perfect balance between performance and comfort. At no time was it jarring in anyway.
Let’s talk about the cabin…one word sums it up SERENITY! Quiet, refined, comfortable and the Burmeister 3D was a pleasure to listen to. The beegees and I were in sync! The haptic controls…we’re annoying but I’m getting used to them. Didn’t try the ACC since still in break in mode. My Mercedes is becoming a good friend used her several times including navigation. The 3D screen is cool and the HUD and the augmented reality heads up display is a game changer. I never once missed a turn during navigation. I had my polarized sun glasses on the whole time and there were no issues.
Truly amazing afternoon!
The following 10 users liked this post by Bubba1:
Bossanov (04-04-2022), declo2000 (04-07-2022), JSL555 (04-04-2022), js_cls (04-03-2022), martinlarose (04-04-2022), Martsman (04-04-2022), rdrtkd (04-07-2022), Sleeper Benz (04-03-2022), Streamliner (04-07-2022), SW20S (04-04-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-03-2022 | 11:26 AM

2021 S450 4Matic
Hmmm...are you Dimitris Psillakis in diguise? :-D
Old 04-03-2022 | 11:29 AM

2022 S580
Lol! No I’m not Dmitris but actually a happy customer!
Old 04-03-2022 | 01:22 PM

S580
If you were listening to the beegees and in sync, the cabin couldn't have been that quiet. <kidding>

I have been careful to state the ride is "not luxury", but not infer it is not by design. I think you described it similar to what I see. Out of curiosity, did you car also come with the Hankook Ventus tires, and what size wheels did you get?

My test drive was with a 10.5 degree rear wheel steering assist, and the car I bought is like yours, 4.5. I haven't driven one without rear wheel steering assist, but the test drive and mine do not drive like a big car (a good thing). I had a software update and got an E-Class loaner. The difference was night and day.

Glad you are liking the car.
Old 04-03-2022 | 03:47 PM

2022 S580
I have the AMG 20” Pirellis. Not my favourite tire would have preferred Michelin’s. Figured 20” is a good balance between comfort and performance.
Old 04-03-2022 | 03:58 PM

S580
Originally Posted by Bubba1
I have the AMG 20” Pirellis. Not my favourite tire would have preferred Michelin’s. Figured 20” is a good balance between comfort and performance.
Interesting. You seem to be happy with your ride, admitting you do feel road imperfections. I am not quite as enthusiastic but still think it is as designed. We both have 20" rims, but different tires. Maybe a premium tire like the Michelins would be smoother? I priced the Sport Plus 4S online and a set would be about $2,100 with tax. I guess I'll wait until the Hancock's wear some. I hope others that change theirs post the results so it will help in our replacement decisions.
Old 04-03-2022 | 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rocker
Interesting. You seem to be happy with your ride, admitting you do feel road imperfections. I am not quite as enthusiastic but still think it is as designed. We both have 20" rims, but different tires. Maybe a premium tire like the Michelins would be smoother? I priced the Sport Plus 4S online and a set would be about $2,100 with tax. I guess I'll wait until the Hancock's wear some. I hope others that change theirs post the results so it will help in our replacement decisions.
I got the Michelins 4S summers on my 21s recently and wow its super smooth at all speeds and over bad roads. No issues so far and I highly prefer Michelins over other brands. They balanced well and not choppy over bad pavements or mushy steering feel like the Pirellis. I have them on my other cars and totally recommend them for your 20 inch rims. I paid 1700 with tax for the 21s from tirerack.

Not sure which place quoted 2100 plus tax. But heres the ones on tirerack for 1367

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ecutive%20Line

Here is my feedback and pics of the 4s on my S580:
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-wheels-2.html

Last edited by Baloo588; 04-03-2022 at 04:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Baloo588:
bishop64 (04-03-2022), declo2000 (04-07-2022), martinlarose (04-04-2022), Old Rocker (04-03-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Glad to hear you are enjoying your S580, I feel the same about my 580 every time I drive it, and definitely agree on the seats, super comfortable and supportive, they feel a lot more plush when compared to the prior W222 seats.
Old 04-04-2022 | 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
You gotta get rid of the runflats and run pressures 3-4 pounds below whats indicated on the fuel door. Your ride concerns will melt away.
The following 3 users liked this post by SW20S:
declo2000 (04-07-2022), Drone_S213 (04-08-2022), Streamliner (04-04-2022)
Old 04-05-2022 | 10:48 AM

2022 S580
A slightly different view:
while many aspects of this automobile are phenomenal, I've got to say that after waiting two years for availability, i'm a bit disappointed.
  • the styling is mediocre; if you passed it on the road you might easily mistake it for an older model Mercedes or even a Merc inspired copy. For a $150,000 car, I'd like some wow factor.
  • It's difficult for me to climb in and out. I've played around with settings like the easy entry and exit, but it still requires some contortions. And I can't reach the door to close it when it's in the fully open position and I'm seated in the driver seat. For reference, I'm older but still pretty physically fit, 6'1 with long arms.
  • I dislike the haptic controls. It was much easier to adjust the radio volume on my S550.
  • There's too much technology. I'm reasonably good at technology, but it seems like they just put a lot of stuff in here because they could. I'll eventually learn it all (and learn that a big part of it can be permanently ignored).
  • now two specific points about my build: I wanted and ordered the HUD, but was informed a few months before delivery that it wouldn't be available due to parts shortage. I opted to take the car without it, but now I believe that I should have waited as it's absolutely the coolest tech feature of the car. And there are a few things that annoy me because I paid for them but will (almost) never use and could certainly do without-- things like adjustable rear seats and retracting rear window shades.
I suppose that I shouldn't complain, I've got a great car, but after waiting a long time and writing a big check, I expected to be thrilled with my purchase.

Old 04-05-2022 | 11:42 AM

2022 S580
Hi Portmanteau,

-Styling is a pretty subjective issue. I agree it is understated but having owned numerous high profile vehicles, I like the stealth aspect. Ive driven the car through the inner city, shopping centres etc and while receiving a couple of thumbs up the response has been fairly muted (which I like). Ive had enough of cars following me wanting to take a picture or asking me how much it costs or how much I make etc...
-I agree reaching the door to close is a pain...Im trying to remember to not open it all the way when I get in or use the door handle as Im getting into the car with my left hand. No problem with ingress/egress for me and Im taller than you.
-haptic is a Pain, but I'm getting used to it, miss the knobs
-Im liking the technology as I'm getting to learn it. MB is trying to lead the way and compete to attract the Tesla demographic. My teenage kids are smitten with the technology.
-I didn't order my car, the guy who ordered it bought something else because he couldn't wait. Its got pretty well every option except 4D. I wouldn't have ordered the HUD and the Augmented reality but now that I have them I absolutely love them. I have the full rear seat package, teenagers like them (they rarely are in the same car as me). Might help on resale??

Sorry to hear that the thrill of the car is not there for you. With the market for used as strong as it is can you get out of it without losing too much $?
Old 04-05-2022 | 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Hi Portmanteau,

-Styling is a pretty subjective issue. I agree it is understated but having owned numerous high profile vehicles, I like the stealth aspect. Ive driven the car through the inner city, shopping centres etc and while receiving a couple of thumbs up the response has been fairly muted (which I like). Ive had enough of cars following me wanting to take a picture or asking me how much it costs or how much I make etc...
-I agree reaching the door to close is a pain...Im trying to remember to not open it all the way when I get in or use the door handle as Im getting into the car with my left hand. No problem with ingress/egress for me and Im taller than you.
-Im liking the technology as I'm getting to learn it. MB is trying to lead the way and compete to attract the Tesla demographic. My teenage kids are smitten with the technology.
-I didn't order my car, the guy who ordered it bought something else because he couldn't wait. Its got pretty well every option except 4D. I wouldn't have ordered the HUD and the Augmented reality but now that I have them I absolutely love them. I have the full rear seat package, teenagers like them (they rarely are in the same car as me). Might help on resale??

Sorry to hear that the thrill of the car is not there for you. With the market for used as strong as it is can you get out of it without losing too much $?
I agree on the stealth and design comments, I prefer that this car is stately looking without being too in your face. It was one of the reasons I went for it over the A8L which just looked slab sided and fat, and the 7er which has an obnoxious schnoz. The S-Class is just imposing and flashy enough but still traditional in its design, and will age gracefully.

If someone wants to stand out more, the next 7er will be the better choice, but for me, I prefer my grill to not look like two *** cheeks.

Last edited by js_cls; 04-06-2022 at 05:19 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by js_cls:
AS2121 (04-17-2022), Diesel Benz (04-06-2022), places (04-05-2022), teksurv (04-09-2022)
Old 04-05-2022 | 09:10 PM

2022 S580
Hi Portmanteau,

well, first I'll acknowledge that most people would think I'm crazy to complain even a little bit about having a car like this. And I'm pretty sure that I'll grow into it. I thought about selling it; dealer offered me a fair price but he's not picking up the $10,000 sales tax so it ends up being about a $20,000 hit. I decided to keep it and learn to enjoy it. Maybe a year or two from now I'll move into something else.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022 | 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, 2024 BMW I7 xDrive60
I’ve now driven my new S580 maybe 80 miles or so. I will mostly agree with the OP, it is a phenomenal car. There are the things I don’t care for, such as the exterior door handles, the haptic controls, but the car is amazing to drive. It is SO quiet! The 4D sound system is magnificent. The 4-axle steering is wonderful and I’m enjoying the red interior. I have not yet fooled with the Active Ambient Lighting or the 3D Nav, as I will get to all that in good time.

One note: today in Southern California, we are having a heatwave, with temps over 100 at the beach! Very unusual. The S580 must have some fabulous insulation, as it was not horrible inside, after sitting in the bright sun for more than 90 minutes. In addition, the A/C does not go NUTS with overly high speed fans running at full speed upon startup on a very hot day. A very much appreciated improvement.

Attached Thumbnails The S580 Is Phenomenal-456328a2-853a-4499-9734-d21f9ca0761a.jpeg   The S580 Is Phenomenal-c72d73e1-fe54-4d84-a0c9-8bdc921e10ae.jpeg   The S580 Is Phenomenal-d4d6f3c6-10d2-442f-8db9-39fd11ae4fe2.jpeg  

Last edited by Streamliner; 04-08-2022 at 09:28 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Streamliner:
AS2121 (04-17-2022), aypues (04-10-2022), Drone_S213 (04-08-2022), drose224 (04-08-2022), js_cls (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022 | 11:26 PM

2022 S580
Streamliner,

The car looks gorgeous. Love the classic combination of silver on red. Very classy indeed!

Interesting about the fan speed. Good to know. Loud fans can be very annoying.
Streamliner (04-08-2022)
Old 04-07-2022 | 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I’ve now driven my new S580 maybe 80 miles or so. I will mostly agree with the OP, it is a phenomenal car. There are the things I don’t care for, such as the exterior door handles, the haptic controls, but the car is amazing to drive. It is SO quiet! The 4D sound system is magnificent. The 4-axle steering is wonderful and I’m enjoying the red interior. I have not yet fooled with the Active Ambient Lighting or the 3D Nav, As I will get to that in good time.

One note: today in Southern California, we are having a heatwave, with temps over 100 at the beach! Very unusual. The S580 must have some fabulous insulation, as it was not horrible inside, after sitting in the bright sun for more than 90 minutes. In addition, the A/C does not go NUTS with overly high speed fans running at full speed upon startup on a very hot day. A very much appreciated improvement.
The 3D AR Navigation is excellent. I typically use Google Maps in previous cars but I really enjoy the animated turn by turn directions of the MB Nav in the heads up display, very cool technology. The ambient lighting is excellent too, I only have the non-Active version, however my boss' S580 has Active Ambient Lighting and it is truly a treat in both day and especially at night time.
Streamliner (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022 | 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I’ve now driven my new S580 maybe 80 miles or so. I will mostly agree with the OP, it is a phenomenal car. There are the things I don’t care for, such as the exterior door handles, the haptic controls, but the car is amazing to drive. It is SO quiet! The 4D sound system is magnificent. The 4-axle steering is wonderful and I’m enjoying the red interior. I have not yet fooled with the Active Ambient Lighting or the 3D Nav, as I will get to all that in good time.

I think you will get used to the changes and be happy with the car.

BUT, a car of this caliber shouldn't require long time buyers of the model such as yourself to have to have a period of displeasure while they are adapting to the car. Thats a design fail, IMO.
Old 04-09-2022 | 02:03 AM

S560
Originally Posted by Old Rocker
Not sure if the Continental DWS06s are available in size for the 255/40s these run compared to the 245/40 the W222s run, but if they do run to get those for comfort! If not, then the Michelin PS 4 have had great reviews from another owner who’s running 21” wheels and says it’s now superbly smooth and quiet due to the Michelin’s thicker sidewall. Run-flats just suck lol.