S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

rear seat entertainment option?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,119 Likes on 707 Posts
23 S580 Executive
This one: D9B Credit for Missing Standard: 871,I read this was called comfort access and means the trunk kick. I'm assuming maybe that was right idea, wrong name?
Old 06-12-2022, 03:36 PM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
Originally Posted by crabman
This one: D9B Credit for Missing Standard: 871,I read this was called comfort access and means the trunk kick. I'm assuming maybe that was right idea, wrong name?
871 is the trunk Hands-Free access and goodness not the comfort access. Would of sucked if it was
Old 06-12-2022, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by crabman
You're correct about what it means - missing kick to open trunk, but that feature is not called comfort access, rather hands free access. It's confusing, and I don't think either are good names. Comfort access usually isn;t in the MB dictionary, but it is used to refer to the sensors on the door handle allowing one to lock and unlock the car without taking your keys out of your pocket. Called Keyless-Go in MB talk. That would be a far more tragic removal imo.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Lol, I agree, I thought Sonic was taking the position that at this price you should get what you order. Something I completely agree with but in the current buying climate I'll consider myself lucky if that's the only ding when the car shows up. To this thread I'm curious if I'll get my rear entertainment (it's in the order) or not. And what the means I suppose.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
,,,,It's confusing, and I don't think either are good names. Comfort access usually isn;t in the MB dictionary, but it is used to refer to the sensors on the door handle allowing one to lock and unlock the car without taking your keys out of your pocket,,,,
And don’t forget “Comfort Package” naming

Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
,,Called Keyless-Go in MB talk. That would be a far more tragic removal imo.
Exactly what I was inferring 👍🏼
Old 06-12-2022, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I just sold a Panamera and in Porsche speak it really is comfort access for the doors. I didn't just pull that out of my buttocks though, somewhere or other I thought I had read that. Could be senior moment stuff or I was repeating a mistake someone else made. Not sure which but I'm willing to take the hit. In any event it seems we're all in agreement (in principal) and the McNomenclature has been sorted out for today. As an aside while the kick to open would have been on a short list of something I was willing to give up in a must give up something world... It worked very well on my Panny and I found the feature a useful addition.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s class (223)
Hello everyone

I need your help choosing S class options.

I am buying S class (223) in Dubai right now and they have an ideal car with exterior and interior colors I like. Full options.
But they don't have back seat screens. (they say that it is a lack of chips and they don't supply screens now)

But there are other cars available, not that ideal for me in terms of specs, but they have these screens.

So my question is: do I really need it?
I am going to use the car with a driver, so most of the time I will be sitting at the back.

At the same time, I had Audi A8 with screens and I used it very rarely, but they were working quite dump.

My question is: do I need it?
Do they have a normal internet browser, YouTube and Netflix?
And will I be able to control my car with a rear seat tablet from the armrest? Or part of the functions is in the screens?

Thank you in advance
Old 12-01-2022, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
The browser has no options for ad blocking, minimal functionality, and in my brief look I saw no method of installing another browser; I'd use my own laptop or phone before I considered using it and then only as a last resort.
The following users liked this post:
AkimTalibov (12-01-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 03:06 PM

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
The original car I almost bought had this option, I really wanted it as I'm in the rear much more then the front of my car. The missing LED lights killed the deal for me, I wish there was a way to retrofit this
Old 12-03-2022, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Seems like there would be a way; maybe a question for Mr Ninja?
Old 12-03-2022, 09:46 PM

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts
S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by AkimTalibov
Hello everyone

I need your help choosing S class options.

I am buying S class (223) in Dubai right now and they have an ideal car with exterior and interior colors I like. Full options.
But they don't have back seat screens. (they say that it is a lack of chips and they don't supply screens now)

But there are other cars available, not that ideal for me in terms of specs, but they have these screens.

So my question is: do I really need it?
I am going to use the car with a driver, so most of the time I will be sitting at the back.

At the same time, I had Audi A8 with screens and I used it very rarely, but they were working quite dump.

My question is: do I need it?
Do they have a normal internet browser, YouTube and Netflix?
And will I be able to control my car with a rear seat tablet from the armrest? Or part of the functions is in the screens?

Thank you in advance
As others have already mentioned, the rear tablet is unable to connect to the car without the rear-seat entertainment screens. The tablet has to first connect to the rear-mounted screens, which in turn connect to the front central display.

Without the rear-mounted screens, the tablet by itself will just be a sad regular Android tablet, with ugly bezzels and a subpar screen. It will still do the usual android tablet stuff, like email and YouTube. But no in-car control functionalities.

If you spend most of your time in the rear, then you definitely want the complete package, for total control of your interior. Otherwise you will be limited to voice-commands only (or through the driver ofc &#128514

Last edited by rw594; 12-03-2022 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by rw594

Without the rear-mounted screens, the tablet by itself will just be a sad regular Android tablet, with ugly bezzels and a subpar screen. It will still do the usual android tablet stuff, like email and YouTube. But no in-car control functionalities.
Are you sure?? I have the full rear seat entertainment package, but I’m almost certain you can still control all in-car functions (seats, blinds, a/c, etc. ) with just the armrest tablet option. That’s the whole point. The “android tablet stuff” you refer to (email/YouTube) is a secondary function.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:54 AM

S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
Are you sure?? I have the full rear seat entertainment package, but I’m almost certain you can still control all in-car functions (seats, blinds, a/c, etc. ) with just the armrest tablet option. That’s the whole point. The “android tablet stuff” you refer to (email/YouTube) is a secondary function.
Yeah man, I know this sounds stupid, but it is what it is. Try using your tablet with both of your rear sceeens off. It won't work. I have had this confirmed by my dealer, and my retrofit shop, and someone else within this very thread.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Yeah man, I know this sounds stupid, but it is what it is. Try using your tablet with both of your rear sceeens off. It won't work. I have had this confirmed by my dealer, and my retrofit shop, and someone else within this very thread.
This is odd as the rear seat tablet can be ordered as a separate option without selecting the rear seat screens (in Europe at least). Perhaps the tablet could be configured to connect to the head unit directly also if the car has rear seat screens?
Old 12-04-2022, 02:53 AM

S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
This is odd as the rear seat tablet can be ordered as a separate option without selecting the rear seat screens (in Europe at least). Perhaps the tablet could be configured to connect to the head unit directly also if the car has rear seat screens?
To my knowledge (and apparently many others) this isn't possible - but I would love to be proved wrong here. I don't like the rear screens, conscious that my kids will be manipulating my system from behind my back. But a tablet that I can simply tuck away whenever necessary seems manageable.

Last edited by rw594; 12-04-2022 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
At a guess it's to protect local options packaging. In other words people like me who would have just got the tablet were forced to buy the entire Executive package. Then you prevent people from doing a cheap tablet retro after the sale by putting in a software block. Where you sell à la carte you allow the tablet full functionality.

Its a theory but the available information supports it pretty well. This is why I was thinking Benzninja may have something to offer?
Old 12-04-2022, 08:38 AM

Not true. I can confirm the tablet works without turning on the rear screens(s). See attached pic.
Guess your “dealer/retrofit shop/someone else” were confirming something else

Last edited by Sonic Boom; 12-04-2022 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:44 AM

S450 4Matic
Thumbs up

Not true. I can confirm the tablet works without turning on the rear screens(s). See attached pic.
Guess your “dealer/retrofit shop/someone else” were confirming something else
Cheers man, I am very happy to hear that the tablet could work without the rear screens on

But ummmmmm, you know, that 'Sombody' I quoted? That was actually you?

Mate you said explicitly earlier in this thread that 'one of the rear screens have to be on, in order for the tablet to be in MBUX mode'. Which coincided with what my dealer and retrofit shop said. So I just assumed everything was adding up?
Old 12-04-2022, 09:50 AM

S450 4Matic
And now that I've taken a closer look at the photo: on the bottom menu bar of your tablet, [Rear Right] was underlined... I assume this means that the tablet was mirroring the rear right entertainment screen, right? Perhaps your right screen was just hybernating or something, not trully off?

Excuse all my doubts and questioning, please know that none of them were just for the fun of debating - I really wish to find out the truth about these tablets here.

I optioned my own car without the rear entertainment screens, but have then bought an rear armrest tablet in the aftermarket, and have been trying to make this work for a long time, to no avail (photo below).

Last edited by rw594; 12-04-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:33 PM

I optioned my own car without the rear entertainment screens, but have then bought an rear armrest tablet in the aftermarket, and have been trying to make this work for a long time, to no avail (photo below).
You also installed the “cradle” within the armrest as an aftermarket? You completely changed the armrest? Sorry, I’m a bit confused. Your car was delivered with what kind of rear armrest?
Old 12-04-2022, 08:03 PM

S450 4Matic
You also installed the “cradle” within the armrest as an aftermarket? You completely changed the armrest? Sorry, I’m a bit confused. Your car was delivered with what kind of rear armrest?
Nah, it came with that cavity, despite having no tablet. Which irkes me no end and is one of the reasons I tried so hard to fill it with a tablet.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:10 PM

So I have the tablet without the rear monitors. Can control radio volume, rear climate, all blinds, rear seats/massage, heating/cooling for rear seats. If you have the rear entertainment package it appears you also get apps, control navigation for the car, and radio/media. I believe Ninja can enable the same for cars like mine without RSE so im looking forward to that. I have no idea why they would not allow me to access apps, media, navigation. It's completely ridiculous and stupendous if you ask me
Old 12-04-2022, 10:27 PM

S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by DoctorDash
So I have the tablet without the rear monitors. Can control radio volume, rear climate, all blinds, rear seats/massage, heating/cooling for rear seats. If you have the rear entertainment package it appears you also get apps, control navigation for the car, and radio/media. I believe Ninja can enable the same for cars like mine without RSE so im looking forward to that. I have no idea why they would not allow me to access apps, media, navigation. It's completely ridiculous and stupendous if you ask me
Ooo, fantastic, then I guess there is hope for me afterall!

I assume your table came OEM with your car, then?

Why the hell, then, did mine come without? When I initially asked about this, dealer told me it was due to chip shortages. But now that I think of it, it doens't really make any sense, since the tablet is really just a Samsung Tab S7 with custom MB firmware baked on... it is basically a 2017 tablet in a 2022 car, and I'm sure Samsung must have had lots of it lying around, otherwise Mercedes wouldn't have picked this specific model, to begin with.

Last edited by rw594; 12-04-2022 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:31 PM

Ooo, fantastic, then I guess there is hope for me afterall!

I assume your table came OEM with your car, then?

Why the hell, then, did mine come without? When I initially asked about this, dealer told me it was due to chip shortages. But now that I think of it, it doens't really make any sense, since the tablet is really just a Samsung Tab S7 with custom MB firmware baked on...
My vehicle was the executive line so it came standard with rear tablet. Do you have the executive pacakge? I would bet anything BN could just enable the option in VO coding and then the car would recognize it. I'm looking forward for him to enable the RSE options on mine so i can set nav, or change the media in the back. To me this is the only useful thing this tablet can be used for, and why its disabled if you dont have rear screens is baffling to me.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:39 PM

S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by DoctorDash
My vehicle was the executive line so it came standard with rear tablet. Do you have the executive pacakge? I would bet anything BN could just enable the option in VO coding and then the car would recognize it. I'm looking forward for him to enable the RSE options on mine so i can set nav, or change the media in the back. To me this is the only useful thing this tablet can be used for, and why its disabled if you dont have rear screens is baffling to me.
My vehicle was a Mexico import, and they have different option bundling policies there - so impossible to tell.

And yes, media control and navigation control are probably the only real useful functions of the tablet.

Almost all of the functions currently on your tablet are already accessible by the rear VIP passenger, in the form of physical buttons. Massage is one exception, but who cares about that anyways, the massage is W223 is way to weak to ever be useful.

I hope you and I both find a solution to this problem. Before that, we'll have to make do with voice commands for nav and media control I guess.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rear seat entertainment option?