S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

New “surprise”

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 10:26 AM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 S580 Land Boat
New “surprise”

This car is a gift that keeps on giving.

Monday night driving home on the freeway. The instrument cluster goes completely dark and HUD turns off. Mild state of panic but mechanics seemed to be unaffected and the car drove in a normal manner. After about a minute instrument cluster brought itself back up and another 20-30 seconds after that HUD reappeared. The panel remained sluggish for the rest of the drive home with noticeable lag.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:10 PM

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
S450 4Matic
Had one of these myself the other day!

Granted, I was nowhere near freeway speed, so wasn't much of a scare, more a nuisance. But I can see how it could induce panic and cause safety concerns on high speeds.

I recall seeing similar threads, where the OP was able to fix similar issues by taking their car into dealerships for firmware updates. Might be worth a shot
Old 07-27-2022, 12:18 PM

2022 S580 Land Boat
Originally Posted by rw594
Had one of these myself the other day!

Granted, I was nowhere near freeway speed, so wasn't much of a scare, more a nuisance. But I can see how it could induce panic and cause safety concerns on high speeds.

I recall seeing similar threads, where the OP was able to fix similar issues by taking their car into dealerships for firmware updates. Might be worth a shot
Had my car at the dealer with a blown 21" Pirelli, asked them to look into Check Engine light I experienced and malfunctioning assistance systems messages. The response was "no codes found in the system, the car passed all tests". They don't seem to have much interest in actually fixing anything.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (07-29-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,181 Likes on 733 Posts
23 S580 Executive
More likely software glitches and the dealer can't fix it without a flash; possibly can't fix it with a flash. Meanwhile the dealer can't get paid to flash without meeting MB criteria to trigger it. I've see it with every brand I've owned, it was the corporate playbook when idrive came out and everything would randomly die until a restart, a Lincoln that would do the same, and those are just the ones that closely resemble what you had now. If I consider all software glitches that were later fixed with updated software it would have occurred on all the cars I've owned for somewhere close to two decades.

Of course you probably know that but if you're not aware of it and are willing to indulge in some skullduggery you could try and precipitate a reflash or update to your software. The trick is to find an intermittent problem that is addressed by a software update and claim you have that problem. Needs to be intermittent so you can get them to act even though they can't reproduce it.

It works more often than you might expect, the dealer doesn't mind doing the work, they mind not getting paid.
CaliBenzDriver (07-31-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 341 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by odesskiy
Had my car at the dealer with a blown 21" Pirelli, asked them to look into Check Engine light I experienced and malfunctioning assistance systems messages. The response was "no codes found in the system, the car passed all tests". They don't seem to have much interest in actually fixing anything.
I'm at 7000 miles on my 2022 Audi. No problems. Why is it that cars built at the same time during chip problems can have such drastic differing reliability results? The Audi S8 has been flawless. I love the acceleration of the S8, the mileage, the fit and finish, and no squeaks or rattles. And I love the reaction I get from people that see my personalized tag "Nice VW". Believe it or not, women respond to it more than men. I have women in the rear view mirror waving at me and giving me the thumbs up....at car washes and gas stations,,,,,no less than 5 people a week.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:45 PM

2022 S580 Land Boat
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
I'm at 7000 miles on my 2022 Audi. No problems. Why is it that cars built at the same time during chip problems can have such drastic differing reliability results? The Audi S8 has been flawless. I love the acceleration of the S8, the mileage, the fit and finish, and no squeaks or rattles. And I love the reaction I get from people that see my personalized tag "Nice VW". Believe it or not, women respond to it more than men. I have women in the rear view mirror waving at me and giving me the thumbs up....at car washes and gas stations,,,,,no less than 5 people a week.
S8 is definitely a nice car. Somehow, the exterior always seemed to be a little bland to me.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
It's not just you. The Panamera would probably be the looker among the large German sedans, this one and the Audi anchor the attractive but boring segment, then you've got the 7 series looking like the styling was handled by multiple teams who couldn't look at each other's work. I've been a little surprised there isn't more crossover from the Panny; both coming and going.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:29 AM

Received 349 Likes on 190 Posts
2022 S580
Odesskiy, sorry for ALL the issues you’ve had. You need to move on dude. This car is not for you. I’ve owned cars like this and time to exorcise the devil and get something else.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:47 AM

2022 S580 Land Boat
Originally Posted by Bubba1
Odesskiy, sorry for ALL the issues you’ve had. You need to move on dude. This car is not for you. I’ve owned cars like this and time to exorcise the devil and get something else.
I agree. I am hoping MB will approve the repurchase. I’ll know in 6-8 weeks. I can’t imagine living like this for the next 4-5 years but at the same time I am not quite prepared to take a $20k hit lol. Not yet.
Streamliner (07-29-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 11:04 AM

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
2023 S580 (current), 2019 Range Rover HSE V6 (current),2021 S580, 2018 S560 4Matic, 2015 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by crabman
More likely software glitches and the dealer can't fix it without a flash; possibly can't fix it with a flash. Meanwhile the dealer can't get paid to flash without meeting MB criteria to trigger it. I've see it with every brand I've owned, it was the corporate playbook when idrive came out and everything would randomly die until a restart, a Lincoln that would do the same, and those are just the ones that closely resemble what you had now. If I consider all software glitches that were later fixed with updated software it would have occurred on all the cars I've owned for somewhere close to two decades.

Of course you probably know that but if you're not aware of it and are willing to indulge in some skullduggery you could try and precipitate a reflash or update to your software. The trick is to find an intermittent problem that is addressed by a software update and claim you have that problem. Needs to be intermittent so you can get them to act even though they can't reproduce it.

It works more often than you might expect, the dealer doesn't mind doing the work, they mind not getting paid.
Have any suggestions on what type of complaints to use if you are wanting them to update your MBUX software version to get the Zero Layer option?

i go to dealer tomorrow and want to ask them to update it but it seems dealers aren’t willing to update software just because a customer asks. I went to another dealer last week and asked them and they told me i had the latest software which i clearly don’t as i showed them the software version of a car that had it, and it was different from my software version.

TIA for any suggestions.
odesskiy (07-29-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
You'll have to browse through them and see if you can find your baby. You're looking for something that doesn't throw a code and the fix is an MBUX flash. Off the top of my head the one with connectivity comes to mind. I think that one included USB, if so you could try formatting two flash drives so neither one can be recognized by the car. Show the service writer plugging in one, then the other, because if two don't work there must be something up, right?

That's an example and one I actually used with Jaguar. Some of those cars had intermittent trouble seeing flash drives. Mine didn't, but I used the excuse to get a flash the car needed that they said wasn't required. Ideally, you'll find something intermittent that doesn't throw codes here as well. If you can't then you're stuck with negotiation or paying.
Phillyfinest (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 11:49 AM

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
2023 S580 (current), 2019 Range Rover HSE V6 (current),2021 S580, 2018 S560 4Matic, 2015 S550 4Matic
You'll have to browse through them and see if you can find your baby. You're looking for something that doesn't throw a code and the fix is an MBUX flash. Off the top of my head the one with connectivity comes to mind. I think that one included USB, if so you could try formatting two flash drives so neither one can be recognized by the car. Show the service writer plugging in one, then the other, because if two don't work there must be something up, right?

That's an example and one I actually used with Jaguar. Some of those cars had intermittent trouble seeing flash drives. Mine didn't, but I used the excuse to get a flash the car needed that they said wasn't required. Ideally, you'll find something intermittent that doesn't throw codes here as well. If you can't then you're stuck with negotiation or paying.
What about maybe saying the system keep removing my favorite channels in Sirius XM and I have to re do it all the time?
Old 07-28-2022, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Whatever gets you a flash is good. You shouldn't have to game the system but that's what it amounts to with car software. On the one hand, they are literally selling software services and functions which come with the expectation of updates for at least a short period. On the other, they treat those software functions in the same way as hardware where a fix is only on offer if it's broken. The latter doesn't work in a world where complex software can only really be finished after end users expose various flaw, and those end users in turn expect updates.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:41 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
Gad damn another thing? This is starting to **** me off too haha! I hope you can get satisfaction soon!
The following 2 users liked this post by hyperion667:
odesskiy (07-28-2022), Phillyfinest (07-28-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,865 Likes on 1,845 Posts
2024 S580
This reminds me of a similar issue a friend of mine was having with her Range Rover. Don't want to have MB and Land Rover in the same sentence when it comes to problems
Old 07-29-2022, 11:49 AM

2022 S580 Land Boat
So funny, they told me it’d be 6-8 weeks but I got my answer in only a couple of days. My car does not qualify for a repurchase as there isn’t enough service history to warrant it.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Really frustrating....
Old 07-29-2022, 12:13 PM

Received 349 Likes on 190 Posts
2022 S580
Odesskiy,
While you’ve had your fair share of annoying things going wrong. There doesn’t appear to be anything that can’t be fixed with smaller tires snd some software upgrades.
When I bought my 2022 S580 I was fortunate in that the Top Gear review and some other journalists said to avoid the 21 inch tires so mine has the 20”. 5 months of ownership and no real issues with the car. Lucky I guess.
I guess you need to decide whether the hit of selling it/trading it in is worth it and what you would get instead.
I narrowed it down between the MB, Flying Spur and the Ghost. All 3 were within the budget. I don’t like the 7 series. The b pillar is positioned weirdly. I don’t like the Audi S8 as it’s too bland and snout heavy. The MB was my first pick after driving all 3 because of how it feels…I loved it. I also like how stealth it is. The RR is way too high profile been there done that. The Flying Spur wasn’t as comfortable as the S580 , the suspension was not to my liking. The S580, I’ve said this before, is a bargain, almost at any price.
Good luck with your search!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bubba1:
JSL555 (07-29-2022), odesskiy (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
The issue is expending the energy and focus to force MB to rectify the issues. I totally get that...
Old 07-29-2022, 12:39 PM

2022 S580 Land Boat
Originally Posted by Bubba1
Odesskiy,
While you’ve had your fair share of annoying things going wrong. There doesn’t appear to be anything that can’t be fixed with smaller tires snd some software upgrades.
When I bought my 2022 S580 I was fortunate in that the Top Gear review and some other journalists said to avoid the 21 inch tires so mine has the 20”. 5 months of ownership and no real issues with the car. Lucky I guess.
I guess you need to decide whether the hit of selling it/trading it in is worth it and what you would get instead.
I narrowed it down between the MB, Flying Spur and the Ghost. All 3 were within the budget. I don’t like the 7 series. The b pillar is positioned weirdly. I don’t like the Audi S8 as it’s too bland and snout heavy. The MB was my first pick after driving all 3 because of how it feels…I loved it. I also like how stealth it is. The RR is way too high profile been there done that. The Flying Spur wasn’t as comfortable as the S580 , the suspension was not to my liking. The S580, I’ve said this before, is a bargain, almost at any price.
Good luck with your search!!
Bentley and RR are definitely out of range for me, the S580 was top of the range. I was shopping around in the $100k neighborhood, drove my friend's S580 and fell in love with the ride and the tech, got emotional and paid more than I wanted to by about $60k. I agree with you on not liking anything else in this price segment, so I don't look at getting rid of this car and taking a 20-30k hit in the process as a viable option. I'm going to spend $2K and order a set of Michelins that are currently backordered everywhere I look and hopefully be able to avoid any more blowouts until I get them swapped out. I'll keep reporting all the software issues to my Service Advisor, hoping they could get resolved at some point. The sad part is, the car does have the potential to be absolutely amazing. There really is nothing I don't like as far as design, looks, comfort, tech, power, sound system, etc..
Bubba1 (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Gotta get the butt-shakers fixed so you can properly rock out; they can't deny it and it would be a good start. If you don't have zero layer you don't have the latest software, I'd try and trigger a flash in that case.

Going for the PS4s?
Old 07-29-2022, 02:02 PM

2022 S580 Land Boat
Gotta get the butt-shakers fixed so you can properly rock out; they can't deny it and it would be a good start. If you don't have zero layer you don't have the latest software, I'd try and trigger a flash in that case.

Going for the PS4s?
The buttshakers oddly enough have improved once I created a personalized listening profile. I set them to level 7 and feel good solid feedback, quite enjoyable. I do have the Zero Layer, so no issues with MBUX, really. And yes, will try to get the PS4s.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Huh, what you described with them before didn't sound like something that was going to get fixed with a setting change. Some good news anyway. The PS4s can get a little treacherous in the cold but I suppose you wouldn't have to worry about that in your area. If I decide to move from the Kook's I think I'll go with the AS4s; supposed to be a little quieter and probably a little more life in them. I think I would have killed the PS4s around 15k or so on the Panny; they were 50% at 8k miles. Drive that one a lot harder than I will drive this one, I could see them going to 20 or perhaps more over here.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:57 PM

2022 S580 Land Boat
Huh, what you described with them before didn't sound like something that was going to get fixed with a setting change. Some good news anyway. The PS4s can get a little treacherous in the cold but I suppose you wouldn't have to worry about that in your area. If I decide to move from the Kook's I think I'll go with the AS4s; supposed to be a little quieter and probably a little more life in them. I think I would have killed the PS4s around 15k or so on the Panny; they were 50% at 8k miles. Drive that one a lot harder than I will drive this one, I could see them going to 20 or perhaps more over here.
Yeah, it doesn't really get cold in Vegas, so don't have to worry about that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like the AS4 is available in the size required for the rears. The only two tires Michelin website shows for 285/30R21 are the Pilot Sport 4S and Pilot Alpin PA4. I would actually prefer the all-season set myself but doesn't look like Michelin makes them
Old 07-29-2022, 06:00 PM

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts
I got 38k out of the PS4 on my previous Audi A7 with 275/35R20s which were pretty good and similar in size to the Panamera. The PS4 on my 2021 RS7 have 8k miles on them and have about 75% tread left so I still vouch for them over the PA4. The Pilot Sport All Season 4 wouldnt balance well on my 2012 A8 causing nasty vibrations on highway even when they were road force. The thread patterns on them were ridiculous causing a bit of noise as well so I swapped them out. Since i am in Michigan I use separate winter wheels with dedicated winters so I feel all seasons are jack of all trades, master of none.
odesskiy (07-29-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New “surprise”