How about all those NEW COLORS!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,772 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL;[url=tel:8753393
8753393[/url]]Certain special ones like cashmere I think the paint process is somewhat??? different?
Its a pearl, so it has a pearl coat, cashmere is a magno color, so that makes sense.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:36 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Wrap
The following users liked this post:
MBS63AMG (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 336 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Wrap
You beat me to it. I just watched a video of an S63 coupe being wrapped. MB is good for that industry.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
You beat me to it. I just watched a video of an S63 coupe being wrapped. MB is good for that industry.
why is MB good?
Old 04-09-2023, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,099 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I’ve been tempted to wrap a few times, but when I watch these guys cutting the material, while it sits on the car, I cannot help but think that damage is being done to the rubber seals that are part of the car. And, nobody ever really knows for sure if there has been any damage, until the wrap is removed. I’d love to wrap the black glass roof on my SL and have it done white to match the rest of the car, but I’m not going to chance it.

Old 04-09-2023, 01:37 PM

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 S580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I’ve been tempted to wrap a few times, but when I watch these guys cutting the material, while it sits on the car, I cannot help but think that damage is being done to the rubber seals that are part of the car. And, nobody ever really knows for sure if there has been any damage, until the wrap is removed. I’d love to wrap the black glass roof on my SL and have it done white to match the rest of the car, but I’m not going to chance it.

Stream, I think your concerns have merit. Unless you have someone who knows your model well and knows exactly what they’re doing I wouldn’t chance it on such a special vehicle.

Just curious, have you driven the new SL? How does it compare to your car. Has it become significantly sportier or does it retain the more GT character (that I love) of your model SL?

It seems the new SL is trying to become more “Porsche like” and for me that’s a negative. The SL has always been a comfortable GT cruiser first and foremost.

[/QUOTE]

Old 04-09-2023, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Bubba1
Stream, I think your concerns have merit. Unless you have someone who knows your model well and knows exactly what they’re doing I wouldn’t chance it on such a special vehicle.

Just curious, have you driven the new SL? How does it compare to your car. Has it become significantly sportier or does it retain the more GT character (that I love) of your model SL?

It seems the new SL is trying to become more “Porsche like” and for me that’s a negative. The SL has always been a comfortable GT cruiser first and foremost.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, Bubba! If the folks over in the R232 (new SL) forum hear about this question, I believe you will hear a MASSIVE groan and people shouting “YOU’RE ASKING HIM?

I have not driven a new SL, as I am so thoroughly put off by the whole concept of the car. I think they are nice looking, but that’s where it ends for me. I’ve owned eight SL’s, my first being a 1972. My issues with the new car are as follows:

1. They dropped the truly spectacular retractable hardtop and went back to a rag top.
2. In adding two, virtually useless rear seats, they lost the almost “turbulence free,” top down driving experience of the previous car.
3. The rear windscreen that goes up or disappears completely at the touch of a button in the previous model—and also in the Porsche Cabriolets—is now a clumsy, awkward. REMOVABLE monstrosity that will get filthy, hanging in your garage—and won’t be there when you unexpectedly want or need it.
4. A convertible with the “iPad,” as in our W223’s is just insane. This is a sporting roadster and should have buttons, knobs & gauges, not some huge, ugly, dusty, fingerprint laden, blindingly reflective touch screen.
5. As attractive as the exterior design of the new car is, it is a recycled AMG GTC design. The only folks who can readily tell them apart are enthusiasts.
6. The cars have given up way too much in the way of luxury and comfort, so they can be road-rockets, which is something we have way too many of already, in my humble opinion. The previous SL was a reasonably unique car, but was long in the tooth and not selling well. It was deemed an “old guy’s car.” If they had taken the best features of that car and wrapped it in a completely new, sexy design, loaded with luxury and built for ultimate comfort, THAT would have been a great thing. Instead, they “cheaped-out” designing the new car, then really cranked up the price and the result is a car that absolutely leaves me cold.

The SL is dead. Long live the old SL’s!

The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
MBS63AMG (04-10-2023), QuadBenz (04-10-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Bubba1

The SL was always a sports car first

The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
BenjaminKohl (04-11-2023), hyperion667 (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 03:52 PM

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 S580
Oh, Bubba! If the folks over in the R232 (new SL) forum hear about this question, I believe you will hear a MASSIVE groan and people shouting “YOU’RE ASKING HIM?

I have not driven a new SL, as I am so thoroughly put off by the whole concept of the car. I think they are nice looking, but that’s where it ends for me. I’ve owned eight SL’s, my first being a 1972. My issues with the new car are as follows:

1. They dropped the truly spectacular retractable hardtop and went back to a rag top.
2. In adding two, virtually useless rear seats, they lost the almost “turbulence free,” top down driving experience of the previous car.
3. The rear windscreen that goes up or disappears completely at the touch of a button in the previous model—and also in the Porsche Cabriolets—is now a clumsy, awkward. REMOVABLE monstrosity that will get filthy, hanging in your garage—and won’t be there when you unexpectedly want or need it.
4. A convertible with the “iPad,” as in our W223’s is just insane. This is a sporting roadster and should have buttons, knobs & gauges, not some huge, ugly, dusty, fingerprint laden, blindingly reflective touch screen.
5. As attractive as the exterior design of the new car is, it is a recycled AMG GTC design. The only folks who can readily tell them apart are enthusiasts.
6. The cars have given up way too much in the way of luxury and comfort, so they can be road-rockets, which is something we have way too many of already, in my humble opinion. The previous SL was a reasonably unique car, but was long in the tooth and not selling well. It was deemed an “old guy’s car.” If they had taken the best features of that car and wrapped it in a completely new, sexy design, loaded with luxury and built for ultimate comfort, THAT would have been a great thing. Instead, they “cheaped-out” designing the new car, then really cranked up the price and the result is a car that absolutely leaves me cold.

[/QUOTE]
Stream, I agree with most of your points but I think you need to drive the new SL. It’s rare to have somebody with your ownership with multiple SLs give us your driving impressions.

I owned the SL 55 AMG (R230). Truly one of my favourites. Comfortable sporty but yet a true GT with the hardtop and aesthetically gorgeous!

It seems they are trying to figure out where the SL fits in. If they think they can beat Porsche…good luck!!
Old 04-09-2023, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,119 Likes on 707 Posts
23 S580 Executive
You've got trouble when you're competing against everything from a C8 to a 911 and some of them can be seen as (arguably) better cars for a lot of use cases. To me, the upcoming Maybach SL is probably what the vanilla SL should have been.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by js_cls
The SL was always a sports car first

Yes, it certainly was and the world acknowledges that the original 300SL’s were very special sports cars, indeed. However, since 1963, the SL has built a reputation for being a “sporty,” luxury cruiser. With the exception of a handful of special AMG branded models over the years, the SL’s accent has been on luxury and comfort, not blistering performance. With the new SL, people like to say that the car has gone “back to its roots,” but I would venture that such roots are virtually meaningless, based on the previous 60 years of the model’s reputation.

Old 04-09-2023, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK, I’ll try to test drive one, but magazine reviews have already commented on the less than comfortable ride quality. They are all AMG cars, so what would one expect? My little SL450, with its light but very potent V6, lightweight forged wheels, ABC and non-run flat tires, is “THE” best riding convertible I have ever driven, even compared to the recent S Class Cabriolets and the Corniche I once owned.

Last edited by Streamliner; 04-09-2023 at 04:30 PM.
Bubba1 (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 09:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,616 Likes on 2,224 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)

[/QUOTE]

That is not all, they just put the taillights of your W223 S-Class on the back and called it a day. Although I think the lights are actually bigger should at least it doesn't share the same part number.

I guess that is what we lose for going the AMG route.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by crabman
You've got trouble when you're competing against everything from a C8 to a 911 and some of them can be seen as (arguably) better cars for a lot of use cases. To me, the upcoming Maybach SL is probably what the vanilla SL should have been.
Will be curious what they will bring with the Mythos as well on top of the Maybach, I wonder if they came up with these two brands (other than going back upmarket by eliminating the entry level model MBs) was to raise the price of the vehicle and put the true SL (basically non AMG)to an upper market (where the roots of the SL are and at the same time make it even more special/limited with a much higher price tag?, in short Mythos was the original SL?)
Old 04-09-2023, 10:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by SW20S
Its a pearl, so it has a pearl coat, cashmere is a magno color, so that makes sense.
I see
Old 04-10-2023, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
That is not all, they just put the taillights of your W223 S-Class on the back and called it a day. Although I think the lights are actually bigger should at least it doesn't share the same part number.
They are completely different lights, similar design
Old 04-10-2023, 05:12 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by crabman
Below is a complete list of all the available colors for which I'd pay 6500.

hahaha.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by SW20S
They are completely different lights, similar design
Hmmm I don't know, looks identical to me I even saw it in person at the dealership and compared them, other than the SL taillights more round shaped and the W223 more flat, the graphics and everything else is identical (although that is just to my eyes)
Old 04-10-2023, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 336 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

[/QUOTE]
I completely agree with every point you made. Your current SL is beautiful. I love the wheels.
Streamliner (04-12-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm I don't know, looks identical to me I even saw it in person at the dealership and compared them, other than the SL taillights more round shaped and the W223 more flat, the graphics and everything else is identical (although that is just to my eyes)
They are not identical lol. The shape of the cars are completely different, the identical tail lamps wouldn't fit, and the W223 lamps are split between the trunk and the rear fenders where the SL's are one piece..

Old 04-11-2023, 01:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
Thread way off topic.

Crazy blue S500 in the flesh:

https://carfax.app.link/LpvqNqL3Tyb
Old 04-11-2023, 06:34 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by aypues
Thread way off topic.

Not way off.
That 'crazy' blue is officially known as 'China Blue'.
See post #17 above.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:49 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by aypues
Thread way off topic.

I think it's a great color, but black interior does not look good with this blue to me. Needs a white or beige instead.
teksurv (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I think it's a great color, but black interior does not look good with this blue to me. Needs a white or beige instead.
Agreed, why spec such a gorgeous and more pronounced exterior color then get a basic black interior? Deep White would have been a perfect match.

The following 4 users liked this post by js_cls:
bishop64 (04-11-2023), hyperion667 (04-11-2023), MBNUT1 (04-12-2023), teksurv (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 08:42 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by js_cls
Agreed, why spec such a gorgeous and more pronounced exterior color then get a basic black interior? Deep White would have been a perfect match.
Totally agree.
Interestingly, the pic in my post above (#17) does show the same perfect colour matchup (china blue and white).
hyperion667 (04-11-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How about all those NEW COLORS!!!