S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Window Tint Concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 02:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2023 Mercedes Benz S Class
Question Window Tint Concerns

Hi All - I just picked up a new 2023 S500 and I'm loving the car so far. I plan on getting the windows tinted to get rid of the somewhat "fishbowl" look the car currently has. However, I've run into an interesting issue that I wanted to get some thoughts on. After speaking with two of the most reputable tint shops in the San Francisco Bay Area (these guys do Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, etc.) I was told that the process of tinting the new S class is a liability for tint shops because "the electronics are incredibly sensitive" and they don't want to risk water leaking into the housing for the electronics. How legitimate is this? I find it hard to believe on the one hand but then again don't see a reason why tint shops of this caliber would be turning away business. Their floors are literally filled with exotics. For some context, I also have two other cars (AMG-GTS and Ferrari) that had work done at one of the shops in question and the quality is exceptional and has held up well on both cars. Curious to get the thoughts of forum members on this. Some pics of the new S class below

The following 2 users liked this post by Pharaoh2716:
Frenetic (03-29-2023), martinlarose (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 03:28 PM

Received 321 Likes on 176 Posts
2022 S580, Range Rover full sized, retired (Ferraris, lamborghini, Bentley, RR, Porsche etc, etc...)
Just want to compliment you on your beautiful colour combination…gorgeous. Congratulations!!

Unfortunately, can’t comment on the window tinting. But I am a bit surprised. Your dealership might be able to do it in house therefore you’re protected if there are future problems?
Old 03-29-2023, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 704 Likes on 442 Posts
2023 S500
There is an issue with the latest C class that would fry the entire car because of water getting into an electronics component near the rear window. I don’t know if our cars are affected. So far I can’t recall any issues here but I’m new to this sub forum as well.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ar-window.html

Great looking car, by the way. Congrats!
Old 03-30-2023, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bubba1
Just want to compliment you on your beautiful colour combination…gorgeous. Congratulations!!

Unfortunately, can’t comment on the window tinting. But I am a bit surprised. Your dealership might be able to do it in house therefore you’re protected if there are future problems?
In today's world I wouldn't be surprised if the dealership was to wipe its hands from the ordeal if something went wrong.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Frenetic
There is an issue with the latest C class that would fry the entire car because of water getting into an electronics component near the rear window. I don’t know if our cars are affected. So far I can’t recall any issues here but I’m new to this sub forum as well.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ar-window.html

Great looking car, by the way. Congrats!
Super helpful! Thank you!
Old 03-30-2023, 10:56 AM

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes E350
At least it appears most W223 have tint….the article referenced is for the C class.

How many people actually had problems? Is there a TSB or warning for the S class specifically? They’re not built in the same factory and engineering wise seem different.

Just trying to determine how relevant the tint concern is by your installer.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:06 PM

Received 321 Likes on 176 Posts
2022 S580, Range Rover full sized, retired (Ferraris, lamborghini, Bentley, RR, Porsche etc, etc...)
Originally Posted by Pharaoh2716
In today's world I wouldn't be surprised if the dealership was to wipe its hands from the ordeal if something went wrong.
Have you asked the dealership? Get everything in writing and let them deal with it. They know your vehicle the best. I’m Assuming you’re happy with your dealer?
When I bought my car the dealership offered me the full tint package. I find my S580 to be pretty stealth do I didn’t have it done.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:09 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
IT all depends on how experience and confident the tint shops are. They should be able to do all the windows with exception of the windshield. The windshield is a tricky one on many cars now with the HUD, etc. Most shops I know wont do the windshield but everything else is fine.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,480 Likes on 2,112 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by AMG350
At least it appears most W223 have tint….the article referenced is for the C class.

How many people actually had problems? Is there a TSB or warning for the S class specifically? They’re not built in the same factory and engineering wise seem different.

Just trying to determine how relevant the tint concern is by your installer.
As far as I read, the 2023 model year latest C-Class have the issue fixed already as now it has a cover. TSB or warning for the S-Class however, doesn't seem to exist maybe the W223 isn't prone to it at all but there is indeed a TSB for the 2022 C-Class to retrofit that cover to protect the SAM.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:09 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2023 S400D and 2007 C350
Is it not an option in the US to have factory tint. When I was configuring my car, the dealer hooked me up with a product expert and one thing he said, it's not an S Class if it's not tinted in the back. So I optioned it with factory tint and UV along with the sunshade.