S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

What brand is MB’s nemesis these days?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 749 Likes on 469 Posts
2023 S500
If I was the CEO of Mercedes, I would invest billions on a proprietary, ultra fast charging network. Build it and they will come. These dumb ceos are chasing the wrong idea with the jelly bean designs. It has nothing to do with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frenetic:
crabman (05-20-2023), Streamliner (05-21-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by SW20S
The majority of Mercedes sales are vehicles in the same price class as the Model 3 and Y. Just sayin.
They are not…even close…

Friend recently bought a Model Y Performance. Paid $55k minus $7500. That’s the top of the line Y and model 3’s are cheaper. The way MB’s are optioned you are looking maybe GLA/GLB/CLA territory…
Old 05-20-2023, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 336 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Tesla is not going anywhere guys, they have changed the automotive landscape forever...to younger people, a Tesla is what they aspire to...not a Mercedes.
Off topic but the same for touring motorcycles. Major decline in guys like me that love to go for a week on a motorcycle ride. My generation is becoming less and less effective on decision making for transportation, shopping, housing, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (05-21-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,772 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by Frenetic
Not for me. Anyone who does any inkling of research will quickly realize how Tesla’s supercharger network is vastly superior to anything out there. When charging is the begin all and be all when it comes to evs, it’s not that hard to cost/benefit your way to a Tesla, regardless of the looks. That’s one thing the traditional automakers just don’t realize. The fuel is the end all and be all to daily operating these things.
Not for you, but for a lot of people especially younger people. Tesla isn't going anywhere.

For me, I only need the charging network when I travel, the key for daily use is charging at home.

If I was the CEO of Mercedes, I would invest billions on a proprietary, ultra fast charging network. Build it and they will come. These dumb ceos are chasing the wrong idea with the jelly bean designs. It has nothing to do with that.
They are actually

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...g-network-evs/

Originally Posted by chassis
They are not…even close…

Friend recently bought a Model Y Performance. Paid $55k minus $7500. That’s the top of the line Y and model 3’s are cheaper. The way MB’s are optioned you are looking maybe GLA/GLB/CLA territory…
You yourself said in another thread that Mercedes sells way more of those cars globally than they do anything else.

The bottom line is, every luxury carmaker's volume is at the lower end of its model line.

Scoff all you want, but younger people care about tech way more than they care about cars, and luxury doesnt mean to them what it means to us. To many of them they would much rather have a Tesla than a Mercedes. What has really hurt Tesla's brand is Elon Musk...all of a sudden politically its not appealing for these young, liberal people to be seen in a Tesla...

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
Off topic but the same for touring motorcycles. Major decline in guys like me that love to go for a week on a motorcycle ride. My generation is becoming less and less effective on decision making for transportation, shopping, housing, etc.
Yep, this is true

Last edited by SW20S; 05-20-2023 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 741 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Don't know how you did it but you attributed a post by Wolfman to Chassis.
S_W222 (05-21-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,119 Likes on 707 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Not for you, but for a lot of people especially younger people. Tesla isn't going anywhere.
I agree with you. Except in this case I agree with you more than you agree with you. Tesla is old news around here. Not so many years ago I passed something like a dozen just driving in from the outer street to my house. That's a bit of a drive because I'm at the top hill in an old established neighborhood so it's not like they're really dense in there but the thing is nowadays, I pass 2, 3, 4ish. These people moved on, most of them to another EV but not all of them. This is Seattle, it's a techy place. Many of my neighbors work at Goog, MS, Facebook, etc. These are the people that bought Tesla before it was cool to buy Tesla.

Tesla is going to get slaughtered on the bottom end unless they up their game, something they show little sign of doing now. On the other end Tesla is only numbered in the luxury market now because of their cost, they're not luxurious and don't compare well. None of my kids want a Tesla, that would be 2 Rivian's and a Polestar. Tesla is yesterday to them, it's Myspace but with cars, it's your parent's EV.

As to muzzling Elon... Politics isn't a place I'm willing to go here but I do agree a muzzle would do wonders.
Streamliner (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 448 Posts
Current/Last 5-years:S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:S550, BMW X7; X5;BMW 530e;20'Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by Wolfman
This is a flawed argument and a questionable chart. While we are discussing luxury cars, Tesla sales are 97% Model 3/Y. Model S and X have dropped in sales for years and now cost a fraction of their previous prices. The Plaid after all was more or less their roadster glory shot and now only comes with a $20k+ premium.

Tesla has now made price cuts in fear of other attractive EV options in that $50k-$75k segment. The Koreans also can do scale and their quality easily exceed the one from Tesla which is also very vulnerable to Chinese competitors (Mercedes not at all).
If VAG finally gets their software in order, they will pump out large quantities of low priced EV’s.

It will be interesting to see how the EV truck market shapes up but to me Tesla is nothing but a car company and they behave now in very predictable ways.
Graph appears to be accurate and matches reported quarterly sales numbers in multiple other sources. I welcome any corrections though, if the reported numbers in that source are incorrect. The numbers also scale well with the published annual sales numbers for both companies: Mbenz sold ~2MM vehicles, Tesla sold 1.3MM vehicles but their sales trends are increasing YoY and quarter to quarter.

As for the fact Model S and X accounting for only 3% of Tesla sales, why does it matter in this context? OP question is about Mbenz in general, as a corporate, (not specifically S-class vs Model S or Model X). Even if we focus on the luxury S-class line, S-class in 2022 also accounted for 4% of Mbenz sales too (For the US market). As @SW20S , the majority of Mbenz vehicles are in the same price range as Model Y and Model 3 (this includes the GLC which is the best Mbenz selling vehicle in the US (65K sold in 2022 in the US). The same applies to the C-class being the best selling Sedan for Mbenz in the US. People and the upcoming generation would rather get a Model 3 that is slightly cheaper than a C-class (not me, but most people apparantly prefer the Model 3 over C-class or BMW 3-series). The reason I highlighted Model S and X in my first comment is that I assume S-class owners would be mostly interested in the Model S and X line if they ever switch. I don’t know the number, but I would not be surprised if Tesla sold more Model S/X cars than the Mbenz S-class and GLS combined (haven’t researched it). Not a Tesla fan, but can’t deny Tesla’s potential (To OP’s point, Mbenz should fear from Tesla).
Tesla’s recent price cut, if anything, will help improving Tesla’s sales number even better. I actually commend Tesla for adjusting their prices.

Last edited by S_W222; 05-21-2023 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
The only reason Teslas are really desirable right now, at least from my semi-educated perspective, is their charging network. They got that right. Volkswagen’s Electrify America is a failure. The traditional automakers aren’t looking at it from the right perspective.
Absolutely right IMHO. Tesla isn't just an EV car maker. They're also an EV infrastructure company. You can travel anywhere in the country with 100% certainty there'll be a working supercharger at your disposal when you need it. EA, ChargePoint and EVgo combined can't seem to fulfill this simple need.

I'm going to buy a gas powered Jeep just for road trips because driving my Mercedes EQE cross-county would just be too stressful. Plus the Jeep comes with a spare tire so if I get a blow-out in Death Valley I won't die. I know that's a trivial issue for most automakers and not as important as reducing weight to boost range/consumption numbers but for me not dying because of a flat seems kind of important.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crito:
aypues (05-21-2023), Streamliner (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Don't know how you did it but you attributed a post by Wolfman to Chassis.
I’m really good at screwing things up lol

Originally Posted by Crito;[url=tel:8781463
8781463]Absolutely right IMHO. Tesla isn't just an EV car maker. They're also an EV infrastructure company. You can travel anywhere in the country with 100% certainty there'll be a working supercharger at your disposal when you need it. EA, ChargePoint and EVgo combined can't seem to fulfill this simple need.

I'm going to buy a gas powered Jeep just for road trips because driving my Mercedes EQE cross-county would just be too stressful. Plus the Jeep comes with a spare tire so if I get a blow-out in Death Valley I won't die. I know that's a trivial issue for most automakers and not as important as reducing weight to boost range/consumption numbers but for me not dying because of a flat seems kind of important.
This is why I can’t yet commit to an EV, when I buy a nice really expensive car I love, I don’t want to have to drive a Jeep on road trips. I don’t love Teslas, so for now I’m still in an ICE.
Streamliner (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,099 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I have never paid any attention to charging stations, etc. Are Tesla stations for Tesla cars ONLY, or can other brands use them?
Old 05-21-2023, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

This is why I can’t yet commit to an EV, when I buy a nice really expensive car I love, I don’t want to have to drive a Jeep on road trips. I don’t love Teslas, so for now I’m still in an ICE.
I have two gasoline vehicles at all times because of how much driving I do due to work. Electric cars will never suit me. I drive sometimes 1500 miles a week. No less than 800 per week.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 749 Likes on 469 Posts
2023 S500
Conversely, saying that MB chased the wrong Tesla attribute by trying to “jelly bean’ their EV cars, It could easily be said that Teslas could be even more popular if they de-jelly beaned their cars, because I agree, the technology in Teslas is second to none, especially when it comes to features that other automakers won’t adopt. Coupled with their unsurpassed charging infrastructure, there’s nothing to say they can’t take an even more commanding lead with a distinctive yet less bubbly design. I like the Model S, but I’m not a fan of the Y or 3. The X is neat but it looks like a Beluga Whale. However, I would overlook the odd designs because of their charging network and technology. Now imagine not having to overlook anything.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I have never paid any attention to charging stations, etc. Are Tesla stations for Tesla cars ONLY, or can other brands use them?
Tesla only for now, Tesla has talked about opening them up, and they have opened some in a trial run...

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
I have two gasoline vehicles at all times because of how much driving I do due to work. Electric cars will never suit me. I drive sometimes 1500 miles a week. No less than 800 per week.
How much do you drive in one day? If you can charge at home one still might work...it would certainly save you money on fuel.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 448 Posts
Current/Last 5-years:S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:S550, BMW X7; X5;BMW 530e;20'Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Here is the fun and interesting parts: Tesla charging stations work only with Tesla (other vehicles can NOT use it "due to software not allowing it, see next comment", and are limited to other charting stations like Electrify America/ChargePoint/etc )... But, a Tesla vehicle can use all Tesla charging stations as well as any other stations via just an adapter. Big advantage...

Last edited by S_W222; 05-21-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Streamliner (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by S_W222
Here is the fun and interesting parts: Tesla charging stations work only with Tesla (other vehicles can not use it, and are limited to other charting stations like Electrify America/ChargePoint/etc )... But, a Tesla vehicle can use all Tesla charging stations as well as any other stations via just an adapter. Big advantage...
Other EVs can use Tesla stations with an adapter, the software just won't allow it for now, but they are piloting opening them up

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/1/23...ent-access-app

If I could charge a non Tesla at Superchargers I would go EV. I travel to southern WV in my car 3-4 times a year and Tesla charging along the route is no problem, but EA etc is a real crapshoot.

If I were to buy an EV today, I would buy an i7
Old 05-21-2023, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,099 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
………….How much do you drive in one day? If you can charge at home one still might work...it would certainly save you money on fuel.
For me, being a “glass half empty” type and a worrier, it would always be the uncertainty that I would get stranded, that the grid would go down, that SOMETHING would happen and I wouldn’t be able to get charged up when I needed it. Perhaps in a few years, when charging stations are more plentiful, it might relieve the anxiety, but not right now. Of course, I currently drive an ICE vehicle and STILL got stranded, so I guess I should just stay home!
Old 05-21-2023, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Streamliner;[url=tel:8781533
8781533[/url]]For me, being a “glass half empty” type and a worrier, it would always be the uncertainty that I would get stranded, that the grid would go down, that SOMETHING would happen and I wouldn’t be able to get charged up when I needed it. Perhaps in a few years, when charging stations are more plentiful, it might relieve the anxiety, but not right now. Of course, I currently drive an ICE vehicle and STILL got stranded, so I guess I should just stay home!
Haha, that’s true!
Old 05-21-2023, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,119 Likes on 707 Posts
23 S580 Executive
In fairness, if the grid goes down, and you're low on gas you still have a problem that can only be fixed by going far enough to reach a place that has power or waiting for the power to be restored. Your gasoline-powered buttocks are no less screwed if the remaining range is less than the distance to a working refill option.

MBNUT1 (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 04:30 PM

Received 156 Likes on 132 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
That is is good point, the real question is how often a CE car needs to stop to eventually refuel versus an EV in need to charging it based on the currently available charging stations....
Old 05-21-2023, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 366 Likes on 303 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by chassis
MB should fear most its own ineptitude.

It fears BMW and Audi because they are home-market threats and have the same cultural (German) DNA, and can nip away at the lower fringe of the price tiers.

MB fears Japanese and Korean brands because, believe it or not, some consumers do care about reliability, an attribute which MB has nothing to offer.

MB fears Porsche and Bentley because MB can’t compete at the higher price tiers, although they have tried with Maybach.

MB fears any adjacent brand. Industry journalists write about MB’s glaring weaknesses. The weaknesses are no secret, except maybe to MB themselves and to unsuspecting/unsophisticated first-time MB buyers who fall victim.

Tesla is a nothing burger. VAG will squash any car company with sustained investment over the long term.
Still recycling the same old wronged past customer grievances.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by crabman
In fairness, if the grid goes down, and you're low on gas you still have a problem that can only be fixed by going far enough to reach a place that has power or waiting for the power to be restored. Your gasoline-powered buttocks are no less screwed if the remaining range is less than the distance to a working refill option.
Gas powered cars will have the same problem once the planet killing fossil fuel runs out.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Conversely, saying that MB chased the wrong Tesla attribute by trying to “jelly bean’ their EV cars, It could easily be said that Teslas could be even more popular if they de-jelly beaned their cars, because I agree, the technology in Teslas is second to none, especially when it comes to features that other automakers won’t adopt. Coupled with their unsurpassed charging infrastructure, there’s nothing to say they can’t take an even more commanding lead with a distinctive yet less bubbly design. I like the Model S, but I’m not a fan of the Y or 3. The X is neat but it looks like a Beluga Whale. However, I would overlook the odd designs because of their charging network and technology. Now imagine not having to overlook anything.
It's all about aerodynamics. Aerodynamics will be just as important for EVs as they are to maximize gas mileage for ICE powered cars. BTW, Tesla self driving cars are notorious for running into emergency vehicles because they only rely on cameras which is less accurate than the MB setup which uses a combination of cameras and LIDAR. Elon Musk is not an engineer and it shows in the poor technology and the poor build quality of Teslas.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3

There were no gas stations on every corner when the automobile was first invented.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by Drone_S213
My Kids would rather have latest iPhone over a Mercedes. At Daughter's MIT '21 graduation ceremony guest speaker theme was saving the planet, anti ICE, and anti Big Oil & Gas. She recently left DoD in Maryland for Microsoft $210K Gig in Virginia at age 23. Son who is actually smarter than his older sister has a 3.7 GPA and just transferred to Georgia Tech.

The answer is TESLA...
My engineer/MIT graduate father was well aware that cars had to stop burning fossil fuel because burning fossil fuel was severely poisoning our planet. Elon Musk is not an engineer and it shows in the poor technology and poor build quality of Tesla cars.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
For me, being a “glass half empty” type and a worrier, it would always be the uncertainty that I would get stranded, that the grid would go down, that SOMETHING would happen and I wouldn’t be able to get charged up when I needed it. Perhaps in a few years, when charging stations are more plentiful, it might relieve the anxiety, but not right now. Of course, I currently drive an ICE vehicle and STILL got stranded, so I guess I should just stay home!
LOL. It's not like we can carry a can of electricity with us. BIG QUESTION that I've not had anyone answer that I've seen is how much $$$ does it cost to fill up with premium grade electricity???
Streamliner (05-21-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What brand is MB’s nemesis these days?