S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Collision Detection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 02:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 S580
Collision Detection

I've got Collision Detection (which comes with an annual fee ) It's a nice feature; a few months ago it showed me photos when a car bumped mine in the parking lot. Recently I got the MBUX zero layer software upgrade. Yesterday while parked my car was struck and the headlight was broken. I received a collision detection alert on my phone, but the photos were "unavailable." A message says "this function (the photos) must be activated in the car before the collision." Turns out that there's a button in Settings > Vehicle Protection to turn collision photos on or off. Why would anyone want them off? And why is the default set to off?
Old 06-14-2023, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Default must be off because only that setting fulfils legal requirements in every country. Anyway, I doubt MB would be in any serious trouble if the default was on as long as there is the menu to set it off.

The fact that a SW update messes settings just shows that MB is still struggling with their SW.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 02:10 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2023 S400D and 2007 C350
Originally Posted by Portmanteau
I've got Collision Detection (which comes with an annual fee ) It's a nice feature; a few months ago it showed me photos when a car bumped mine in the parking lot. Recently I got the MBUX zero layer software upgrade. Yesterday while parked my car was struck and the headlight was broken. I received a collision detection alert on my phone, but the photos were "unavailable." A message says "this function (the photos) must be activated in the car before the collision." Turns out that there's a button in Settings > Vehicle Protection to turn collision photos on or off. Why would anyone want them off? And why is the default set to off?
You can download the pictures directly from your car. It won't show on Mercedes Me App. I'm not sure if the car takes picture if the feature is turned off but it's worth checking.