S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Have Car Dealers Adjusted to the New Reality??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 05:05 PM

Received 154 Likes on 130 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Originally Posted by S_W222
It's been 5 years since my last Lexus, but even then, I agree that they've become nothing but another Toyota dealership. In fact in most areas they even share the same building and same service departments with two logos (Lexis and Toyota) tucked in the parking lot!
Luckily I never needed service for any of my Lexus cars beside oil change. 15 years of Lexus ownership in total, spanning 3 different cars and ~500K miles combined, and the oil pan gasket was the only non-regular-maintenance item I ever needed. I stopped thinking about Lexus the minute other brands start to innovate with much better software and cabin technology, while Lexus decided to adopt their navigation and screen technology from Toyota matching the Corolla and Camry's of the world. The 360 camera that keeps spinning alone was a joke (heard it's still the same in 2024). Sometimes reliability isn't just enough.
I'm probably a cheap guy but reliability is lot for me... ''Luckily I never needed service for any of my Lexus cars beside oil change" I hope your cars are not in need of anything besides oil changes... my previous BMW , Audi, Volvo, Porsche, Mercedes would not fall in that category !
Old 06-22-2024, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,564 Likes on 2,037 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by tx170754
It's still absolutely amazing, at least the one I'm servicing my LS's !
I have had MB’s since 1973, but most were SL’s. For decades, I drove lesser cars as my daily drivers. In 1993, I got my first Lexus LS and had 8 of those in a row. When I moved to an S Class in 2013 and waved goodbye to Lexus, I REALLY missed the service department at Lexus Westminster—and with all of my recent MB headaches—I miss them that much more. I have never received such personalized service from any car company as I did from Lexus. Too bad they lost their minds and turned their design department into something akin to an opium den. I just cannot understand how people buy these things.

The following users liked this post:
NbyNW (06-22-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,632 Likes on 1,690 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by tx170754
It's still absolutely amazing, at least the one I'm servicing my LS's !
My local dealers here became very ordinary. Other than the legnth of time it seems to take them to complete service the Mercedes dealer has been as good or better. In fact I just texted my service rep and he replied back on a Sunday...
Old 06-27-2024, 01:50 PM

Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts
2024 S580
I've bought three MBs from my current dealer, the last two from the same internet sales manager. The deal is 100% done via email with no negotiation BS at all. I ordered my first two cars (2014 CLS550 and 2021 E63S AMG) at 10.5% off MSRP and my new 2024 S580 at 7% off MSRP. That slightly decreased discount was the only sign of post-pandemic change. When the car comes in, it's strictly sign and drive at the dealership. No stress, no muss, no fuss.

Frankly, I've had the same sort of experiences over the years with new cars from Tesla, Alfa Romeo, and Land Rover. The worst buying experience (sales BS-wise) was with the only used car I've ever bought. Yes, it was a Ferrari (2007 F430), but still. When I'm looking at a new brand, I check Dealer Rater and then simply email all of the top-rated internet managers within 100 miles or so and ask for their best OTD price. Anyone who doesn't respond or respond appropriately, is eliminated from consideration, then or in the future. I've never failed to find a good deal this way and have never dealt with dealership sales trauma. No talks to the manager, no games with the finance guy, etc. Never.

Anyway, I'm happy to recommend my MB dealer and salesman to anyone who asks.

Last edited by Corsair66; 06-27-2024 at 01:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lanzz (06-27-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 09:51 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 185 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubba1
Over the last 40 years I have purchased 27 cars. The vast majority of which were purchased brand new from dealerships. That’s 1.5 cars per year. I would say it’s 50/50 as to the positive experiences I’ve had verses negative experiences with the buying process.

However, the arrogance of the dealership community hit an all time high during the pandemic. They thought they were the bees knees and could rip you off without shame.

The quality and knowledge of the sales people went down dramatically, not that it was even good prior to the pandemic!

I am an admirer of the Tesla model of buying online. I hate dealing with salespeople as for the most part they are shallow, uneducated, lack any pedigree or culture and are there to just make a quick buck (with of course some exceptions).

I’ve also been reading and was told by a salesman (who is now retired) at a high end dealership that some of the training is a form of “tough love” with clients looking for high end cars. They will literally ignore your requests and then respond erratically, then ignore etc etc, psychologically playing on any insecurities. What I mean by this is as a customer you will eventually say is they hope “Let me show you that I have the resources to buy this car” and then you buy it. Many of us here won’t fall for this stupidity but I have noticed this form of tough love.

My question to all of you is that the car market, especially the high end has fallen of a cliff. With interest rates higher than they’ve been in many years and most cars being leased, there is now a new reality. Also most supply chain issues have been fixed. Have dealerships toned down their rhetoric and arrogance to adjust? Or is it the same old same old??

Essentially everyone is ripping each other off...the big corps never readjusted their pricing back down post supply shortages (this is called greedflation) and it then trickled all the way down the line affecting the end user/the consumer. Here's how to get inflation/prices down and quickly if there's no decent deal to be had- JUST SAY NO! But far too many since COVID are spending like drunken sailors no matter the price due to the newfound wealth of their homes value, yet are going deeper into debt sucking all the equity via HELOC's. And if history is any guide when they can't afford to pay anymore, they'll walk away, and get brand new credit in 7 years so it can be done all over again.
The following 2 users liked this post by RJC:
Bubba1 (06-29-2024), Streamliner (06-28-2024)