S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

bam! this isn't pretty!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by Sam Samaha
it would seem that if the car is at fault (i.e. the computer) they would have a serious re-call issue here, as well as a potential law suit.. I somehow don't think the computer did it however.

Either way, hope your friends/family are all ok.

BTW.. I bought my Volvo XC90 for less money here, than a Swede can get it for... go figure?
your right mostly, if the driver wsn't going to fast it wouldn't of happened at all, but, when you do have a problem at speed,(going fast enough to were you need to be a good driver to save it) the computer gets in the way and causes things to get worse, though its trying to do its job.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:24 PM

'03 M5
Originally Posted by NOTKTS
I'm now paying around 2.85 a gallon... cost me $80 to fill the Escalade up and I do it almost every other day
If we were really concerned about the price of gas, we wouldn't have bought exotic cars or SUV's. We'd all be driving Honda hybrids.

Some how I don't many of the members giving up their cars anytime some for fuel efficiency reasons.

I personally find the Stability control on my BMW comes on a little too early, but I don't think it would cause an accident even at speed unless your on a public road that isn't wide enough to account for a margin of error.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by BMWEATR
Well i think it might help little old lady who loses traction pulling into her driveway but on the open road at speed its just to much computer, my E55 doesn't take over like the s55. don't get me wrong though I'm not S55 bashing I love S55's imo there one of the greatest cars on the planet!
i dont think ur trying to bash the S55, its just hard for me to beleive that it would brake the car so it should continue to go the wrong way. the computer is meant to stop the car from skiding. i just cant understand.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Originally Posted by TX4Runner
If we were really concerned about the price of gas, we wouldn't have bought exotic cars or SUV's. We'd all be driving Honda hybrids.

Some how I don't many of the members giving up their cars anytime some for fuel efficiency reasons.
Don't take what I said the wrong way. I'm not *****ing about what my cars get MPG wise. Your right if I was concerned with that I wouldn’t of bought the cars. I get around 8mpg avg in the city with both the ESV and the Murc... What I'm saying is that the prices of gas shouldn't be like they are currently *cough* OPEC *cough*
Old 06-27-2005, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lov2xlr8
i dont think ur trying to bash the S55, its just hard for me to beleive that it would brake the car so it should continue to go the wrong way. the computer is meant to stop the car from skiding. i just cant understand.
yea i hear ya, its a tough one to grasp if you've never been in a 4 wheel slid around a corner

normally if your in a 4 wheel drift you gas out of it not brake out of it, cause when you brake your momentum will kick the a$$ end around and you'll start swapping and you lose control, when you lose traction in the s it kicks the brakes on and off and then your momentum takes over and in the right situation you crash.

it's still the drivers fault for going to fast, but were a experienced driver could most likely save it the computer messes with the outcome.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:05 PM

yea i hear ya, its a tough one to grasp if you've never been in a 4 wheel slid around a corner

normally if your in a 4 wheel drift you gas out of it not brake out of it, cause when you brake your momentum will kick the a$$ end around and you'll start swapping and you lose control, when you lose traction in the s it kicks the brakes on and off and then your momentum takes over and in the right situation you crash.

it's still the drivers fault for going to fast, but were a experienced driver could most likely save it the computer messes with the outcome.
i hear what your saying. i guess 'if your going too fast' there isnt much anyone can do sometimes, let alone good drivers.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL

so it isnt the computers fault, esp cannot defy the laws of physics.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
so it isnt the computers fault, esp cannot defy the laws of physics.
thats right. MB have a foot note about that everywhere they talk about ESP and ASR.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by Lov2xlr8
thats right. MB have a foot note about that everywhere they talk about ESP and ASR.
If you drive "fast" and think you have the talent, there is always the ESP off button on the dashboard. Keep in mind, however, that ASR is still there and ESP is still there but with a higher threshold.

The extent of the damage to this car suggests that the driver was going way to fast anyway; I seriously doubt that any amount of driving heroics would have saved this car from destruction.

Plus, who the heck drifts an S-Class? Go get an AE86 or something if you like doing that.

Last edited by schwarzwagen; 06-28-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
once the car becomes unsettled (wheels drifting or loosing traction the S class sedans computer takes over throttle braking and even the sterring seems to be stiffer(but not sure about steering). so once your in trouble if you have some skills or good luck you might be able to save it, but in the s sedans your DONE! this has been talked about in mags as the only down fall to the S55. i personally have got it on in this car and it sucks when the computer takes over, your basically along for the ride after that.

this acccident was no big deal there was some road hazzards in the middle of a corner and the front end pushed then the computer braked and whooooo hoooo of they went BAM! this wouldn't of happened if the computer wasn't so envolved, its just to much computer.
Blaming ESP seems a bit hard to believe. Understeer is the easier of the two skids for which to correct.

I have pushed every amg sans 65's to the limit and i have never seen this happen. ESP drags the inside rear when the car plows. There is no way that will make you crash.

Dont get me wrong...im really glad the car protected the driver and passenger and that is why we all love our MB's but blaming this on ESP seems really really far fetched. I beat the heck out of an S55 at the AMG challenge and it was just fine with me telling it what to do.

Drive an AMG in dyno mode at the track and let me know if it feels under control. The car wants to go every which way other than the way you want it to go. With no esp, bas, asr, abs these amg cars are fairly out of control. Try to threshold brake in a AMG set in dynomode. it will make your heart skip a beat

Computers cant correct for driver error in every case. if esp was not there the car would have plowed off the road. there are not many drivers out there who could make a W220 change its line in a corner when the car is already plowing.

Im not here to make light of people going to the hospital because of a very serious car wreck but to say ESP caused it a bit far fetched. Laws of physics are still laws of physics. No computer ecu can work magic.

I wish the driver and the passenger the best and hope they are back at it soon. I pray that this never happens to my self my family, fellow board members , or anyone for that matter. Wrecks always make me think twice...

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 06-29-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Big question....what kind of car/truck did they hit? Were they wearing seatbelts?

T
Old 07-04-2005, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

trees, and went off cliff on the way to tahoe, NV hwy-50 i think.--no seat belts.(pretty stupid)probrably why they both had broken legs.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
If you drive "fast" and think you have the talent, there is always the ESP off button on the dashboard. Keep in mind, however, that ASR is still there and ESP is still there but with a higher threshold.

The extent of the damage to this car suggests that the driver was going way to fast anyway; I seriously doubt that any amount of driving heroics would have saved this car from destruction.

Plus, who the heck drifts an S-Class? Go get an AE86 or something if you like doing that.
i agree!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:15 PM

G500,toyota supra, 67corvette,05 pathfinder
I think they are the winner of most damages S i have ever seen.

On a side not i have about done the same to my G500 many times.

If i was a guessing man they where probably in a turn and the ESP crap came on causing the car to nose die. This cause steering problems and your butt eats leather. At least this is what it does in the G wagon even if your not driving like fooooking idiot as stated above.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
I dont think i would be here today if it wasnt for ESP. In a friends 2002 E320, he is trying to show off to me...i dont know why, takes a exit ramp at like 60, hit somes water, he cant correct it. ESP says....WTF you thinking you doing here let me fix this, ESP straigtens us back up, and we live on to tell the day. He would of hit the curb, rolled it and onto a busy street, maybe even back onto the freeway.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by MerzadY_BoY
why are the pictures tagged ????? Fake

that car is at the copart auction, and that car is available for live online auction.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:08 PM

2007 E550
damn is all I got to say
Old 07-29-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have mixed emotions about ESP... good and bad

Good... first week i had my coupe, took the "backroads home" late one evening. I honestly believed i was OK as I was DD and only had 2 drinks over a long period of time. I hit the curvy/winding road at 75+ mph speeds my RX-7 has been running for years.. Not knowing the car yet, or its inability to perform as a RX-7 can. Lost ALL control. I tried to pull it back but could not recover. SUDDENLY ESP KICKS IN... slows the car way down and finishes up the corner for me. Were all safe and sound, with the memories a cliff wall, a cliff drop off and the trees that would have hopefully saved our lives.

BAD... ESP, takes alot of the "sports car" out of the "sports coupe" But due to the above story, it never gets turned off.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:22 AM

'05 C55 Black/Black Lighting, Premium, NAV
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
Big question....what kind of car/truck did they hit? Were they wearing seatbelts?

T
Hey Doctodd...I noticed in your sig you flipped the CLS55 already. Did you buy it and keep it a couple months? Why did you get rid of it? Just curious. I heard theese are amazing cars. Top Gear raved about the cars performance and it seems they hate the Germans (except Porcshe).

Mez

Last edited by mez456; 07-31-2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:19 AM

MB E 430 Wagon Avantgarde
Originally Posted by NOTKTS
I'm now paying around 2.85 a gallon... cost me $80 to fill the Escalade up and I do it almost every other day
Wow, that's some sweet gas prices...
Here: approximately $5 dollars. It's like $1 dollar 50 cent a liter..
Old 08-04-2005, 08:18 AM

s65AMG, sl500
Any update on what happened ?

I've had no problems with ESP, on track, on road even when being silly

see vid shows bits of cars handling.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=A...igclipNOsmusic

Last edited by Mmmm; 08-04-2005 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:12 AM

Mercedes all the way!
ooh, this is sad indeed. heh, if he wanted to get rid of his S55, he should have given it to me!! the damn things cost almost US$500,000 over here! bloody hell.

btw, i'm very sure Merc's electronics does not change the throttle or the steering - it's a lawsuit magnet. the ESP meanwhile brakes the wheels lightly so you can control where you're heading - if you're drifting, unless you're very experienced and used to the car, it's far too easy to lose control and end up spinning off the road or into other cars. with luck, sure, the driver might have spun out of an accident, but the probability is miniscule. pretty hard to spin at will as well. anyway, glad they're alive with relatively minor injuries - i always wear seatbelts even in the rear - that way i know come what may i probably still won't die :p

btw, one guy in malaysia just got a fine for speeding at 2,000km/h!! guess there's some more calibration to be done in the speed cameras...
Old 10-02-2005, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Mmmm
Any update on what happened ?

I've had no problems with ESP, on track, on road even when being silly

see vid shows bits of cars handling.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=A...igclipNOsmusic

Is there a way to download this clip?
Old 10-02-2005, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
my cousins S55 everyone lived. both people had broken legs. this is the result of the computer taking over when you get into trouble.
The nut behind the wheel must have snapped.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I'm curious. I really want to find a huge skidpad and speed this thing up to 80 mph and then try to lose control, just to see if the computer does what its supposed to do, or not.

Anyhow, glad to hear everyone okay.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: bam! this isn't pretty!