S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Edmunds Latest Review on the New S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 06:07 PM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmunds Latest Review on the New S550

....Bomben summed it up by calling the S550, "The most technologically advanced car I've ever driven." All we can say is "Ditto." By any measure of performance, luxury, safety and sheer technological prowess, the new M-B flagship has set a new standard. There's simply nothing else like it. At least, that is, until next year. That's when we can expect to see the V12 bi-turbo S600 with 500 hp. Until then, the 2007 Mercedes-Benz S550 will just have to do as the world's new benchmark....
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ine.promo.1g.*

I, myself, will opt for the S65!

[review link orignally posted by MBZFAN55 in another thread - thanks!]

Last edited by ClayJ; 01-20-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I sat in one at a dealership a couple of weeks ago. I agree, but I also agree with Jakpro1 on the fender flares. Wish they weren't so big. Oh well, nothing is perfect.

You made a good choice Mr. J. Get a white one and let me have it when you get tired of it.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:33 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by can drive 55
I sat in one at a dealership a couple of weeks ago. I agree, but I also agree with Jakpro1 on the fender flares. Wish they weren't so big. Oh well, nothing is perfect. You made a good choice Mr. J. Get a white one and let me have it when you get tired of it.
HAHAHA! I see where this is going.... LOL.

I am not a super fan of white on a car, although I do like the Alabaster White - and would almost certainly do it if I lived in Texas or Florida. Hearsay has it that I only currently have a CGT and a CLK DTM in white, but that I came close with a Cayenne and a G55....

I won't decide on the color of the S65 until I go and visit the factory in Germany to have an up-close-and-personal look-see at my color options -- and there is a good chance that I will custom-order it in an entirely different color.... You'd take hand-me-down orange or pink or chartreuse, wouldn't you can drive? LOL
Old 01-21-2006, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
One of the best reviews I have read so far about the S Class. IMO Mercedes has a real winner on its hands. It will blow the competition away as if they were standing still. Simply amazing to read that review.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
... but I also agree with Jakpro1 on the fender flares. Wish they weren't so big. Oh well, nothing is perfect.
I agree with you that the fender flares on the new S keep me from really liking it. However on the AMG I think they fit very well:

Old 01-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by ClayJ

I am not a super fan of white on a car, although I do like the Alabaster White - and would almost certainly do it if I lived in Texas or Florida. Hearsay has it that I only currently have a CGT and a CLK DTM in white, but that I came close with a Cayenne and a G55....

I won't decide on the color of the S65 until I go and visit the factory in Germany to have an up-close-and-personal look-see at my color options -- and there is a good chance that I will custom-order it in an entirely different color.... You'd take hand-me-down orange or pink or chartreuse, wouldn't you can drive? LOL
I suppose I can take hand-me-down orange or pink or chartreuse. I would prefer an easy to blend/match/touch up color. I do keep a few auto painters employed from time to time.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:15 PM
ON PROBATION

I suppose I can take hand-me-down orange or pink or chartreuse. I would prefer an easy to blend/match/touch up color. I do keep a few auto painters employed from time to time.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Sounds like a plan, then, to me!
Old 01-22-2006, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by ClayJ

I would love to see pics of a CLK DTM in white. As far as I knew they were all either black or silver.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:23 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by naadp
I would love to see pics of a CLK DTM in white. As far as I knew they were all either black or silver.
Here ya' go!
Attached Thumbnails Edmunds Latest Review on the New S550-clk-dtm-white-edited-medium-.jpg   Edmunds Latest Review on the New S550-clk-dtm-white-1-edited-medium-.jpg   Edmunds Latest Review on the New S550-clk-dtm-white-2-edited-medium-.jpg   Edmunds Latest Review on the New S550-clk-dtm-white-3-edited-medium-custom-.jpg  
Old 01-22-2006, 01:36 PM
ON PROBATION

And here is another in Bordeaux Red Metallic-

(that last one was Alabaster White factory paint BTW)
Attached Thumbnails Edmunds Latest Review on the New S550-bordeaux-dtm-1.jpg   Edmunds Latest Review on the New S550-bordeaux-dtm-3.jpg   Edmunds Latest Review on the New S550-bordeaux-dtm-4.jpg   Edmunds Latest Review on the New S550-bordeaux-dtm-5.jpg   Edmunds Latest Review on the New S550-bordeaux-dtm-2.jpg  

Old 01-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Bordeaux is one of the sexiest colors ever on a car. It's got the 'richness' / class yet it has the slight 'catch me cop' swirled in. Perfect blend and it'd be the color of my choice... if there was no such thing as black
Old 01-22-2006, 02:09 PM
ON PROBATION

HAHA!
I almost took a G55 in Bordeaux Red...almost. About 2 or 3 months later I found the pictures of this CLK DTM in Bordeaux Red -- best looking CLK DTM that I've seen yet.
I'm not really a red fan, per se - too much (additional) attention to add to one of my cars, IMO. But Bordeaux Red is certainly one heck of a sexy, classy color...as these photos demonstrate so well!