S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

(First?) S 63 AMG Pictures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by whoover
Historically, new models have been introduced in September. Detroit used the summer break, when workers took their vacations, to retool the assembly lines. Everyone come back after the Labor Day holiday and went back to work producing "next year's" models. More affluent customers bought them in September while more sensible consumers bought the current model at summer sales. This whole system made a fair amount of sense and kept the wheels of commerce greased.

Ford, GM and Chrysler each tried to launch their new models a bit ahead of the others. Someone (Ford, I think) came up with "1/2 year" concept and artifically launched models far ahead of the fall. I think this started with the famous 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang. Then marketing decided they might have well have called it a 1965, and manufacturers began the current deceptive practice, based on the fact that cars depreciate in the US based on registration model year, not build date. I must admit I was disappointed in Mercedes for carrying this as far as releasing a "2007 model" in January of 2006. Caveat emptor.

Like I said already;

'Probably it's a marketing issue from many years ago'

and;

'So now it's the standard and time to turn it back. Because it's actually deceiving!'
Old 06-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 380SE with High Compression 560 motor and LPG
Originally Posted by Germancar1
So in your market you won't get the 07' S-Class late in 06'? Cars in America are introduced at all times of the year now, most of the imports are introduced in the spring to take advantage of the spring buying season. Summer is the next most popular time, which MB does most of the new model introductions now, like July/August. There was a time when MB didn't introduce a new model car until November 1st. Times have changed so much now.

There are several reasons why our S-Class is a 2007 being introduced in Feb 2006. Firstly the new S went on sale in Europe in Sept 05' as an 06' I think and MB doesn't launch cars at the same time worldwide, that would strain production and more importantly quality. Secondly during 2005 you can't sell a 2007 model by law, it has to be a 2006 or 2005 and since our car lagged the Euro introduction by like 5 months they had to produce a enough W220s to keep our market afloat until the new car could get here, which makes our last W220s 2006s. If you can understand all that...lol!

M
None of that gave a reason for anyone to call your car a 2007 model. Here's reasons why NOT to call it a 2007 model:

THE CAR WAS DESIGNED PRIOR TO 2007.
IT WAS RELEASED TO ALL MARKETS PRIOR TO 2007.
ALL MODELS CURRENTLY IN EXISTANCE WERE MANUFACTUERED PRIOR TO 2007.
ALL MODELS PURCHASED UP TO NOW, WERE PURCHASED PRIOR TO 2007.
ALL MODELS DELIVERED UP TO NOW, WERE DELIVERED PRIOR TO 2007.

Our new cars prices are annoying when I look at how much cheaper cars are over there. But actually taxing cars makes sense. All roads are government funded. And all roads are used by cars. So any cars sold, should pay a tax to pay for the roads. Very simple.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Wink

Originally Posted by Flyingphil1st
None of that gave a reason for anyone to call your car a 2007 model. Here's reasons why NOT to call it a 2007 model:

Our new cars prices are annoying when I look at how much cheaper cars are over there. But actually taxing cars makes sense. All roads are government funded. And all roads are used by cars. So any cars sold, should pay a tax to pay for the roads. Very simple.
We have some roads here too,yet no where near your taxes.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:35 AM
Almost a Member!

BMW Hartge 5
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Yeah there is no real way to tell what engine is present. I hope that when MB does present the S63 it looks slightly different from the S65 and S550 with the AMG package.

M
Wheels aside, the difference between the S550 AMG package and S63 is S63 have quad exhausts (dual tips on each side).
The difference between S63 and S65 is S65 have slightly more agressive lower bumper intake opening (more squared) and 2 more cut out on the side also the exhaust of the S65 is similar to S63 but the dual exhuast tips are joined together which I not too crazy about. So the difference is so minor 98% of people will not notice it except AMG nuts like us. I do wish AMG add an small lip spoiler to the trunk to complete the sporty look.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500

Well if that is the case why give them years at all. That doesn't make much sense IMO. You can buy a 2007 model year car anywhere in the world before Jan 2007 right, say from Oct 2006 onwards right??? Whatever year car you're driving now was designed PRIOR to the year it went on sale so I don't follow that. NO car is designed and put on sale in same calender year. I don't see what the big deal is with what year they call it anyway. MBUSA didn't have the new S to sell for the 2006 model year here in the U.S. so they bascially had to call the new S a 2007, instead of that 1/2 year nonsense Detroit came up with. MB didn't launch the new S worldwide at the same time MBUSA has to make adjustments for that.

M
Old 06-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Almost a Member!

We call our cars the year on which the particular one was manufactuered.

Obviously no one has one manufactured in 2007.

So they're only selling 2007 model S classes in the USA? How is that possible since its only 2006? Or can't you get your new S delivered untill next year?

I mean, if you can buy future cars in the USA, why stop at 2007? Go get a 2050 car!

What is it about Americans?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:02 AM

ML400cdi and SL55amg
Talking

I try to clear this "problem".
European manufactures (the only that I know), called a "N + 1" year car all the car product in the summer of the year "N".
Why.
That's why, during a year, in the middle of the year (july or august) the manufactures introduces some news (a different badge or some little improvement) to diversify the model.
It not a face-lift or something strong, but it's a rule.
Porsche, for exemple, consider all the new 997 porsche turbo as "model 2006" nbut the delivery, in Europe, start this month.
That's why.
It doesn't metter when You take your car, it's a production think of view.

Bye
Old 06-22-2006, 02:16 PM

McLaren 570S, G12 BMW 750Li, GLE63s AMG Coupe
Just want to add a perspective on Australian Tax. I have a S500 W221 (S550 for the americans). Optioned reasonably with Distronic, Night Vision, Rear camera etc etc....Total price on the road $322,000.00 Australian dollars = $237,000.00 US dollars....ive seen similarly specced cars to mine from our fellow s-class owners in the US on the forum. They paid not more than $110,000.00 US dollars....now as for our roads....does anyone honestly think Australian roads are so much better that i need to pay $127,000 US dollars more for the privilege of driving a S500 on Australian roads!!! Plain and simply...Australian Tax system sux.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Economies of 20,000,000 vs. 300,000,000

Originally Posted by dr.skp.ortho
Just want to add a perspective on Australian Tax. I have a S500 W221 (S550 for the americans). Optioned reasonably with Distronic, Night Vision, Rear camera etc etc....Total price on the road $322,000.00 Australian dollars = $237,000.00 US dollars....ive seen similarly specced cars to mine from our fellow s-class owners in the US on the forum. They paid not more than $110,000.00 US dollars....now as for our roads....does anyone honestly think Australian roads are so much better that i need to pay $127,000 US dollars more for the privilege of driving a S500 on Australian roads!!! Plain and simply...Australian Tax system sux.
I've driven Highway 1 from Sydney to Cairns so I can attest that the 2 lane (sometimes four) roads that pass for superhighways in Australia don't compare with the US system. That said, if we had to pay for our roads with a tax base comprised of 1/15 our population we would have to find a different way to pay for them too. And they wouldn't be the 12-lane beauties they are. So my advice to you is to get busy breeding.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Almost a Member!

I never suggested our roads are better. All I said was that we pay tax on our cars to help pay for the costs of cars to society!

In actual fact it means our system is fairer, as car buyers and users put money directly into what their useing. And those who don't drive on the roads don't pay for them. Whereas Americans are paying for it through income tax whether they drive on the roads or not!

I have visited America. The country roads we went on seemed to just be two lanes like ours. Los Angles, which had a enourmous number of big freeways, all of which were basically jammed with cars so they were too clogged to be considered good. And traffic lights seemed to operate on a timer where as ours use sensors for efficient traffic flow. The surface quality did seem to be better in America - ours have more potholes and surface changes. There were a lot of highway patrol cars in America too which is annoying, since the speed limits are too low.

Perhaps you should move over there if you want to save money on a car.

I'll stay here and enjoy higher average salarys with longer holidays, a public health system, a public higher education system, lower crime rates and higher average standards of living. I also get to enjoy knowing that the majority of the world doesn't hate us!
Old 06-24-2006, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by //AMG55lover
There is no doubt about coming a S 63 yes or no!

And it's not replacing the S 65, it just replace the W220 S 55!

This e-mail gives you the answer:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....10&postcount=1
For your info from a person who has seen mb internal papers showing the AMG line up for 2007 the 6.3L motor does not see use in the new S63. Note how robert alan was vague about what the specs were on the car.

Did you notice how the SL55 still uses the 5.5L motor?

The reality is that MB has a 2007 S55 listed on its production list and it is set to come out next year. It uses the same engine in the 07 SL55 which is a 06 motor with revised gearing for the blower and a larger throttle body. The car will produce a bit more power and more tq than in the old S55 and will use the old transmission seen in the current S65 and S600.

The large body heavy cars such as the SL, CL and S classes are simply to heavy to use the new motor. With its lack of tq compared to the old S55, CL55 etc the 6.3L motor was not strong enough to keep up with the last generation cars. Furthermore the nature of the high reving V8 is less suited to a S class and CL class vehicle since its more of a race motor than a massive GT car with power.

This is fact not some story. The turbo V8 is on hold and will not be out for some time.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 06-24-2006 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:13 AM

W209 CLK63 AMG Vert
I never suggested our roads are better. All I said was that we pay tax on our cars to help pay for the costs of cars to society!

In actual fact it means our system is fairer, as car buyers and users put money directly into what their useing. And those who don't drive on the roads don't pay for them. Whereas Americans are paying for it through income tax whether they drive on the roads or not!

I have visited America. The country roads we went on seemed to just be two lanes like ours. Los Angles, which had a enourmous number of big freeways, all of which were basically jammed with cars so they were too clogged to be considered good. And traffic lights seemed to operate on a timer where as ours use sensors for efficient traffic flow. The surface quality did seem to be better in America - ours have more potholes and surface changes. There were a lot of highway patrol cars in America too which is annoying, since the speed limits are too low.

Perhaps you should move over there if you want to save money on a car.

I'll stay here and enjoy higher average salarys with longer holidays, a public health system, a public higher education system, lower crime rates and higher average standards of living. I also get to enjoy knowing that the majority of the world doesn't hate us!
LOL

I sense some bitterness and jealousy here!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Maybe it's so we don't get mixed up with the 2006 W220.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
For your info from a person who has seen mb internal papers showing the AMG line up for 2007 the 6.3L motor does not see use in the new S63. Note how robert alan was vague about what the specs were on the car.
Your assertion is that there will be a W221 S55, not an S63. While that makes sense from both the perspective of low-end torque needed in this car and (like the SL) Mercedes needing to continue to differentiate the S65, Allen was not vague:

the AMG V-8 S-Class will be based on the new generation "63" AMG engine

One certainly can't stretch this description to cover the 3-valve engine in the '07 SL55 with a larger throttle body. Perhaps it was disinformation. All we can do is wait.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
I see in that sentence based on the 63 engine. Doesn't mean it is the 63 engine.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by AsianML
I see in that sentence based on the 63 engine. Doesn't mean it is the 63 engine.
Sure. But what could that mean? If it's NA, you don't have the torque. If it's 4-valve, high-revving (new engine technology) with smaller displacement but forced induction, very cool, but that doesn't seem the direction that CynCarvin32 is talking about for 2007. That kind of development effort is a lot more involved that using the 2007 S55 engine and the 5-speed. And that can't be called "based on the 63 engine." Time will tell.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So they're only selling 2007 model S classes in the USA? How is that possible since its only 2006? Or can't you get your new S delivered untill next year?

I mean, if you can buy future cars in the USA, why stop at 2007? Go get a 2050 car!

just shut up! this is typical for every manufacturer in all kinds of sales. how old are you? eight? all boat manufacturers have 2007's for sale right now and so do those in the car business. i seriously doubt that it is any different "down under." go look around and shut up. douche bag!
Old 06-26-2006, 04:06 PM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350

You must be new here... you should read some car magazines or watch some car shows... heck, you should read any newsmagazine or watch a news show...

Maybe you will see that many car manufacturers will be releasing their 2007 models in Fall (Autumn) 2006, some summer cars in Summer 2006, and some high-end cars such as the Mercedes S-class in Spring 2006.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Almost a Member!

I do read and watch motoring publications those being Drive, Carpoint, Wheels, Motor - all Australian literature as well as Top gear and Which car both being UK. And I watch Top gear and Fifth gear on TV - from the UK. They state the cars for the year they actually are - not the following year. If they're talking about a pre production model, they'll say something like "this is a pre production model - the car goes on sale (date).

If I go into a car dealer or ask someone the year of their car, they state the year it is. Not the following year!

The current S class was released here in Febuary 2006. Deliveries started in Febuary 2006. So why would anyone who recieved their new S class this year then call it a 2007 model? The answer - they don't because its a 2006 model!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
If I go into a car dealer or ask someone the year of their car, they state the year it is. Not the following year!

The current S class was released here in Febuary 2006. Deliveries started in Febuary 2006. So why would anyone who recieved their new S class this year then call it a 2007 model? The answer - they don't because its a 2006 model!
The current V221 S 550 was released in the US in February 2006. As you can see the Window Sticker (required on all new US cars and provided by the manufacturer for sale) very clearly shows as a 2007 model.
By law the car must be registered by all states as a 2007 model and all insurance documents will reflect the 2007 model year on their policies.

Now you can fabricate as many reasons to convince yourself that the US model V221 S 550 is some other year than a 2007, but the fact of the matter is...in the US the car is a Model Year 2007 and will stay that way.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:33 PM

'16 528i MSport
Nevada, considering of re-badging yours as a S63??
Old 07-01-2006, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
Nevada, considering of re-badging yours as a S63??
Nope...what is stock is stock. The AMG package is fine for me and if I don't have a S63, no reason to badge it as one.

I would hate to have it badged as an S63 and have someone smoke me in a BMW...he would lose control on the forums bragging how he smoked an S63....:-)
Old 07-01-2006, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by blume
just shut up! this is typical for every manufacturer in all kinds of sales. how old are you? eight? all boat manufacturers have 2007's for sale right now and so do those in the car business. i seriously doubt that it is any different "down under." go look around and shut up. douche bag!
Oh thank God someone told this idiot off. I was afraid I was gonna have to!
Please do us a favor and stay in Austraila!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:02 PM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
I do read and watch motoring publications
Well, try not to go into a magazine store either... when our magazines come out, they usually have the date of the next month, or even the month after that.

This is so that the magazine is still "new" a month later.

Same goes for video games based on sports, such as Madden 2007.. which comes out for the Super Bowl 2007, but is release in the calendar year 2006.

You get the picture.. (I hope!)
Old 07-04-2006, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Nope...what is stock is stock. The AMG package is fine for me and if I don't have a S63, no reason to badge it as one.

I would hate to have it badged as an S63 and have someone smoke me in a BMW...he would lose control on the forums bragging how he smoked an S63....:-)

Love Your Car, want the same EXCEPT I need panorama Roof...Great color combo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: (First?) S 63 AMG Pictures