S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S55 Clutch Squeak???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 Graphite Designo
S55 Clutch Squeak???

i just got an 04 S55 about 3 weeks ago. i drove it for a couple weeks and put together a list of all the little things that needed to get fixed:

driver's vanity mirror has loose pieces inside, can hear them shaking around.
pass vanity mirror broke off completely. possibly the most poorly constructed part of the vehicle.

driver's side keyless go button in-op only 1 out of 3 keys key works with keyless go.

when pass mirror moves down when in reverse, fails to move back up when in drive.

that was the minor stuff, this next stuff are the real annoyances...

when going from reverse to drive and rolling back slightly the trans will stutter like crazy. i was told thet the Tq converter cooling pump was bad, and causing the problem. it was replaced and the problem is still there, so that was not it.

this is where i was thrown back:

upon application of gas from stopped or slightly stopped, there is a loud squeak from the hood area. i thought this was a belt, but was told that this is just a part of owning an S55, that the clutch engaging makes the squeak and that is the way it is.

i find that hard to believe.

while i trust that the dealer i have taken the car to is competant i just find it hard to swallow that the supreme masterpiece of engineering that is my mighty S55 was designed to make the most annoying sound on the planet from a dead stop.

driving in traffic is almost embarrasing, every little touch of the gas, SQUEAK!. driving in a parking garage is like nails on a chalkboard.

someone wake me up and tell me this is just my car and it can be fixed! does every single S55 owner have to deal with the dreaded noise? the dealer told me that every driver of an S55 has this happen. they all do it. it is 'normal'. i don't accept that. it sounds like an old car with a bad belt. not a 100k+ machine.

anyone else having this 'problem'?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
I use to have this same problem when I first got the car. At first it was not that bad and I could live with it but at the red light it would scare poeple which also was not at bad. Funny in a way. But looking around on the forum it seems that most if not all 55 guys have this same problem. It has to do with the supercharger clutch engaging. There is a way to get rid of it. You could check with the dealer to see if they can install the 2006 clutch pack which will have the engagement much smoother. The only problem with this is the clutch may wear out faster. Check with Victor(vrus) on the E55 board, I belive he has had this done to his car. Good luck with the car.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 Graphite Designo
thanks for the info!