S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

2006 S65 or 2007 E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55 AMG '06
I don't like distronic...I just can't imagine using cruise control on a 600HP V12. I also don't like the plexiglass in the front grill...feel like it detracts from the appearance. I also don't like the ash interior. Total personal preferences...don't mean to put down those who like the lighter color...too hard to keep clean.

The silver one at TriStar does have VCS, you can see it in his pictures and it does have the heated/ventilated rear seats. Sean has been using that one as his daily driver as it has 2,00 more miles now than it did one month ago. Not sure if I feel good about that, but the car does have all the options except distronic and 4 place seating. The tires don't appear to have a ton of tread on that one, so add $1,500 to the price for tires, mount, and balance. The black one he's got...something's strange about it. Oh, you know, I think he has two black ones. The lower mileage one has a different badge for the V12...it doesn't say V12 biturbo...just V12. I know it's stupid, but that makes me think that something may have been done to it. Maybe it was debadged and then someone put a different badge on, or maybe the paint repair shop wasn't meticulous enough to notice! Or maybe it's evidence of other mods. I don't know...just don't get a good feeling about that.

I love black on that car, but it's extremely difficult to keep clean. And any flaws will show up, so buying a used one that looks perfect is going to be tough. With silver, you won't notice all of the flaws until you detail it yourself for the first time.

Personally, I'm far less concerned about mileage than I am condition, options, and in-service date. And paying an extra $7k to feel comfortable with what you got, when you're already forking over $90+k, sounds well worth it to me.

What do you think? In a perfect world, what's the exact S65 that you'd get?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
ummmmmmmmmmmmm S65! it huts when u WOT. the kids will love it.

Mark
Old 11-19-2006, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by peebs1
I didn't want Distronic or Parktronic. I'm not a Distronic kind of driver and I really don't like those bottle caps on the bumpers, so I was happy to take a car that had Parktronic delete and no Distronic. I'm underwhelmed with the sound of the Sirius on my wife's car, so I was happy to forgo that. I love the VCS so would add that if the car didn't have it. The one option I wish my car had that it doesn't is Keyless Go. But not enough to have passed up a great deal.

The rear seat option (ventilated, heated, power adjust, pneumatic support) wows my rear passengers, but is not a must have. Which leaves four-place, which is a mustn't-have for most people.

Given anything I wanted, I'd go with Designo Espresso (or Mocha or whatever they called it). The reddish brown interior is my idea of perfection for that car. I love the Designo White/Porcelein in many Mercedes, but the Deco look is not for an AMG, in my opinion. But the Espresso is incredible and would make a fine S65.

But I'm not complaining.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
I don't like distronic...I just can't imagine using cruise control on a 600HP V12. I also don't like the plexiglass in the front grill...feel like it detracts from the appearance. I also don't like the ash interior. Total personal preferences...don't mean to put down those who like the lighter color...too hard to keep clean.

The silver one at TriStar does have VCS, you can see it in his pictures and it does have the heated/ventilated rear seats. Sean has been using that one as his daily driver as it has 2,00 more miles now than it did one month ago. Not sure if I feel good about that, but the car does have all the options except distronic and 4 place seating. The tires don't appear to have a ton of tread on that one, so add $1,500 to the price for tires, mount, and balance. The black one he's got...something's strange about it. Oh, you know, I think he has two black ones. The lower mileage one has a different badge for the V12...it doesn't say V12 biturbo...just V12. I know it's stupid, but that makes me think that something may have been done to it. Maybe it was debadged and then someone put a different badge on, or maybe the paint repair shop wasn't meticulous enough to notice! Or maybe it's evidence of other mods. I don't know...just don't get a good feeling about that.

I love black on that car, but it's extremely difficult to keep clean. And any flaws will show up, so buying a used one that looks perfect is going to be tough. With silver, you won't notice all of the flaws until you detail it yourself for the first time.

Personally, I'm far less concerned about mileage than I am condition, options, and in-service date. And paying an extra $7k to feel comfortable with what you got, when you're already forking over $90+k, sounds well worth it to me.

How can you tell if the car has VCS from the picture? Are you referring to the handle coming off the right part of the stearing wheel? That's where mine is on the SL600. So if the car does not have VCS then this handle will not be there or am I wrong?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:31 AM

S55 AMG '06
Correct...lever coming out of the right side of the steering column in the pictures is VCS. No lever, no VCS. You'll just need to buy the bluetooth puck for $350.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

france 2112- are you by any chance in ft. lauderdale? i think i recognize your location from your pic, weird, i know....
Old 11-20-2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by blume
france 2112- are you by any chance in ft. lauderdale? i think i recognize your location from your pic, weird, i know....
I live about 8 miles west of Ft. Lauderdale in a town called Plantation.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

alright, cool, i know the area having vacationed all my life and living there for a bit. nice area! from what i can tell, your place looks just like a home in harbor beach in ft. laud. had to ask, thanks!

my avatar is from the beach in ft. laud!
Old 11-20-2006, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
..........W220 S65 vs E63? There is a punch line somewhere, right? Of course the S65 by a wide wide wide margin.

Ted
Old 11-20-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........W220 S65 vs E63? There is a punch line somewhere, right? Of course the S65 by a wide wide wide margin.

Ted
That is what I thought however the E63 is a nice car and has certain qualities superior to the S65 for me. I like the S but it is rather long and large (I know what you are all thinking ). The E is a perfect size and the handling should be much tighter. Also it's not like like the E63 is slow. Believe it or not knowing I can get an i-pod integration kit is important to me. The S does not offer one.
On the other hand the S65 is the flagship Benz with the most luxury and the best engine they make. This is why I'm going with the S65
Old 11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
france2112 - Did you say you're having a baby girl and are deciding between a 604 Horsepower car and a 507 Horsepower car???

Just kidding, I know you'll drive safe. Anyway, enjoy the S65, I'm sure it's a whole new level of AMG. But in my opinion (just in case you haven't purchased it already) I say test drive both -- because I know what you mean by the E63 having a 'tighter' ride and being the perfect size. For some, the E63 is better for them -- I'm not too big so I feel like an S65 might be too much/too big for me (at least for now).

Tee_Tz.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:46 AM

Make sure the car has the 4 place seat in the rear. Bench seat looks and feels cheap. 3 kids fit perfect no complaints when taking 5 adults to lunch either.

S65 is a beast pure german muscle car

now the question is Kleeman or renntech????

Marc
Old 11-21-2006, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by OffshoreRacr
Make sure the car has the 4 place seat in the rear. Bench seat looks and feels cheap. 3 kids fit perfect no complaints when taking 5 adults to lunch either.

Marc
There is no way to carry 5 adults in a 4-place car unless one sits on someone's lap or on the center console. It's just not possible. There's a picture halfway down this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/169273-s600-03-05-questions.html

Last edited by whoover; 11-21-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
There is no way to carry 5 adults in a 4-place car unless one sits on someone's lap or on the center console. It's just not possible. There's a picture halfway down this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169273

Great way to get to know the new secretary at work!!! just breaking your ***** a little...who. Mine has the "other " interior as well. On another note it's 50 deg down here in FL......Man those turbo's like this cold air.......YEEEEEEHAAAAWWWW.

Have a happy t giving everyone.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by france2112
That is what I thought however the E63 is a nice car and has certain qualities superior to the S65 for me. I like the S but it is rather long and large (I know what you are all thinking ). The E is a perfect size and the handling should be much tighter. Also it's not like like the E63 is slow. Believe it or not knowing I can get an i-pod integration kit is important to me. The S does not offer one.
On the other hand the S65 is the flagship Benz with the most luxury and the best engine they make. This is why I'm going with the S65
You summed up the two cars very well. My vote goes for the E63, as it looks so fresh, but it seems you've made your decision. One thing is for sure, it's a win-win situation. Enjoy.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by OffshoreRacr

Marc
I'll go with Renntech. I live not to far from Renntech and they did the ECU on my SL600. I feel very secure with their products. The Owner is a real nice person and very dedicated. I'm sure Kleeman is good also but since I have to choose I choose Renntech!!

By the way, I SOLD MY SL600 TODAY!!!! I am very sad I can't wait to get my new car!!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Renntech. Roger and Ben can give testimonials regarding the Renntech ECU/TCU upgrade on the 65 engines.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:51 AM

Active Ventilated Seats/Rear

Hi,
Do any of you have this option? Is it worth getting. One car I'm looking at is fully loaded minus this option. Another car is fully loaded with this option but no distronic. I think distronic would be cool to have but I would like to know if the rear seat option has any particular things about it that may be worth getting. Are the rear seats dynamic also? Do the rear seats have electric adjustments or are they stationary with or without the option?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
I have the rear seat option. They are not "drive-dynamic," but have thumbwheel-controlled pneumatic support. They also have heating, ventilation and power control. I don't know how many of those last three are standard on the S65 (without the rear seat option).

The rear passenger's seat control can also operate the front passenger's seat. That's very convenient when you want to put something large on the rear floor and move the front seat up. It's really for the convenience of chaufeurred passengers who want to stretch out, but I never have people in the back without someone in the front passenger seat. I have had grown men (corporate VPs at that) playing "dueling legroom." It never fails. I think the rear control of front seat is standard on the S65, which is why I suspect power rear seat adjustment is too. And one last thing: full control of the rear headrests (up and down) from either the rear control or the dash comes with power rear adjustable seats. That's the most useful aspect of the bunch, but again, I don't know whether it's standard.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 Mercedes Benz S55 AMG
Any MBZ you choose will be a Win Win Situation for you!

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
You summed up the two cars very well. My vote goes for the E63, as it looks so fresh, but it seems you've made your decision. One thing is for sure, it's a win-win situation. Enjoy.
Having owned 7 Mercedes the last 17 years I have to agree that either one you choose it is a definite "Win Win" situation. However, one of the reasons why I chose to not go back to the E55 or the CLS55 that I used to own and went back to the S55 was because I am a pretty stocky guy and I like to feel comfortable while driving and the E55 and the CLS55 just did not cut it for me because I found myself feeling really cramped getting in and out of them. (The CLS55 has basically the same wheelbase as the E55...)

Don't get me wrong now both the E55 and the CLS55 were awesome cars and I missed them both, but I chose comfort and the more classy looks of the S class over the others and this is just my personal taste because everyone have different taste, therefore, that's why it is a "Win Win" situation no matter which Benzie you choose!

What's my next Benz when I grow up? Either a 2006 S65 or a 2008 S63! To be continued...

Good luck and cheers!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:03 PM

S55 AMG '06
On S65, only those with 4 Place Seating Package have drive dynamic seats in the rear...no other way to get drive dynamic seats in the back. They ALL come with the thumbwheel(lumbar support) and moveable back seats. Without 4 Place Seating Package, only option is the heated/ventilated seat option. I have that in my S55 and like it. Hope that helps.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:14 PM

On S65, only those with 4 Place Seating Package have drive dynamic seats in the rear...no other way to get drive dynamic seats in the back. They ALL come with the thumbwheel(lumbar support) and moveable back seats. Without 4 Place Seating Package, only option is the heated/ventilated seat option. I have that in my S55 and like it. Hope that helps.
Very helpful. So I understand, with the heated and ventilated seat option all you get is heated and ventilated rear seats. The power seats and lumbar support is standard and the drive dynamic is only on the 4 place seating package. Is this correct? Is the controls for the front seat from the rear standard? The silver one I'm looking at has all options but no rear heated and ventilated seats. If that is all I'm missing then I think I reall like this car.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:25 PM

S55 AMG '06
Very helpful. So I understand, with the heated and ventilated seat option all you get is heated and ventilated rear seats. The power seats and lumbar support is standard and the drive dynamic is only on the 4 place seating package. Is this correct? Is the controls for the front seat from the rear standard? The silver one I'm looking at has all options but no rear heated and ventilated seats. If that is all I'm missing then I think I reall like this car.

Thanks.

Correct:

Standard: Power rear seats, lumbar support, rear passenger control of front passenger seat and headrest (there is no control over driver side front seat ever)

Options: Heated/Ventilated rear seat (adds heat and "a/c" to rear seats), 4 place seating (which adds 2 bucket seats which have drive dynamic and a wooden center console in rear seating compartment).

So yes...all that is missing from that car you're looking at is the heated/ventilated rear seat and 4 place seating package. i.e. that thing's loaded.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:38 PM

Thanks.

Correct:

Standard: Power rear seats, lumbar support, rear passenger control of front passenger seat and headrest (there is no control over driver side front seat ever)

Options: Heated/Ventilated rear seat (adds heat and "a/c" to rear seats), 4 place seating (which adds 2 bucket seats which have drive dynamic and a wooden center console in rear seating compartment).

So yes...all that is missing from that car you're looking at is the heated/ventilated rear seat and 4 place seating package. i.e. that thing's loaded.
Perfect! I better jump on it. Thanks for all your help! Obviously I'll post pictures when I pick one up. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Old 11-23-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 CL65
France,

Having owned an 03 S600 and now a CL65, let me offer another opinion.

If you haven't bought a car yet, you might want to consider an 05 or 06 S600 as well. I guarantee you won't be able to tell the difference in acceleration below 80 mph, and after a visit to Renntech, it will be just as quick as your SL was. Aside from quad pipes, badges, 19s, and a 220 mph gauge cluster, you're really getting the same car, and they can be had for a bargain. I know of a nice blue 2005 at a dealership in Houston that is already Rennteched, in the 70k range. You can add the 19" charcoal wheels and sport exhaust and still come out way ahead.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 S65 or 2007 E63