S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S63-030

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 321 Likes on 237 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
S63-030

I find this announcement at the AMG Private Lounge pretty disappointing. Black lacquer instead of a limited-slip diff?

2007 CL63 and S63 Performance Packages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to the high demand of Performance Packages on the SL55, CLS63, E63 and SLK55, AMG is pleased to announce that the CL63 and the S63 will be offered with Performance Packages as well.

The Performance Packages for the CL63 and S63 will be available at launch of each vehicle.

Packages Include:

CL63 AMG
20" AMG 5-double spoke wheel
VMAX Upgrade (speed delimitation to 186 mph)
Carbon Fiber Trim

S63 AMG
20" AMG 5-double spoke wheel
VMAX Upgrade (speed delimitation to 186 mph)
Black Lacquer Trim

For ordering the Performance Packages on either the CL63 or S63, your dealer will need to use the P30 order code.

Pricing and images will be released as soon as they are available.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by whoover
I find this announcement at the AMG Private Lounge pretty disappointing. Black lacquer instead of a limited-slip diff?
Welcome to marketing 1-0-1

Must have gone like this: "Apparently 030 sells. Lets earn some more by giving the S and the CL class some 030 magic dust"

Ergo: Serious inflation of the 030 package
Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles
What a joke that is very dissapointing to say the least
Old 01-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 cls 63 030
Note that on my cls63 w/030 package, on my original order form the only options it is said to came with is the wheels. Had to do some research to find out what the 10k was going to other than that, but you may be surprised to find out that there are some extra goodies. Sure hope it has the LSD, best option in my mind other than the bigger brakes, which the S may already come with.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by joemoney415
Note that on my cls63 w/030 package, on my original order form the only options it is said to came with is the wheels. Had to do some research to find out what the 10k was going to other than that, but you may be surprised to find out that there are some extra goodies. Sure hope it has the LSD, best option in my mind other than the bigger brakes, which the S may already come with.
AMG is pretty precise about the 030 package contents. They say the E63, CLS63 and SL55 030s all include LSD, but not the SLK55, S63 or CL63. That's the basis of the disappointment. Throwing in cosmetics instead just adds insult to injury.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 AM

Hi new member here. Sorry for the lack of a proper introduction but.. What's the difference between LSD and ESP which all mercs come standard with?

"ESP also integrates all-speed traction control, which senses drive-wheel slip under acceleration and individually brakes the slipping wheel or wheels" -mbusa.com

???
Old 01-25-2007, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
ESP is for safety while LSD is for performance. ESP senses wheel slip and slows you down to stop it. An LSD avoids the slip so you can go faster.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:02 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Not sure LSD necessarily improves traction/perf of S/CL63.....

Would think any feature like LSD has engineering trade-offs that chassis engineers consider...

'07 SL65 (w/LSD) has fairly poor traction, even on dry, uneven pavement...

'07 CL600 (w/o LSD) has fairly good traction....hmmm....

Will wait to drive CL63 w/030 before drawing conclusions....worst case, drive it for a few mths and trade it in for new CL65 if one is unimpressed by its tq/traction balance....

BTW, am jazzed that the 20" wheels weigh some 30 lb less (in total) than 19"s....almost like the wt savings of ceramic brakes....
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Any pics of the carbon fiber trim?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by WSH
Not sure LSD necessarily improves traction/perf of S/CL63.....

Would think any feature like LSD has engineering trade-offs that chassis engineers consider...

'07 SL65 (w/LSD) has fairly poor traction, even on dry, uneven pavement...

'07 CL600 (w/o LSD) has fairly good traction....hmmm....

Will wait to drive CL63 w/030 before drawing conclusions....worst case, drive it for a few mths and trade it in for new CL65 if one is unimpressed by its tq/traction balance....

BTW, am jazzed that the 20" wheels weigh some 30 lb less (in total) than 19"s....almost like the wt savings of ceramic brakes....
Yes, a lot of things affect traction and the traction of my S65 is much better than I expected. It is much better than the S55 it replaced, which shows that there was a lot of improvement in the W220 chassis to be had merely from suspension tuning.

That said, I still can get the ESP light whenever I want it, especially on the mountain road I live on. There is NO way that this could not be improved with a locking differential.

Rob Allan (former MBUSA AMG product manager) addressed this issue in a Private Lounge chat session last August:

We have installed LSD in the SL65 AMG as standard equipment since torque is so high on that model (1000 N-m / 738 ft - lb), but we have not done this on the E63 AMG. The main reason is that ESP and a number of other chassis systems must be reprogrammed for this specific feature (beware of tuner installations...) and some owners do not like the onset of the limited slip, which can be more abrupt than a standard differential.

In other words, the MB sedan driver cannot be counted on to have the driving skills to warrant an LSD. I personally find this insulting, and am perplexed at why the SL65 driver is perceived to have a different profile. I don't think "the onset of limited slip" would be understood and appreciated significantly more by SL65 drivers than by CL65 drivers, for instance. Clearly the poorer inherent performance of the R230 chassis in this area played a part in the decision, but note that Rob Allen did not say that an LSD wouldn't be useful. It would absolutely cut drag ETs as well as speed through twisties.

It's just that MB is in denial when some of us sedan and coupe owners tell them we enjoy taking this cars through twisties even faster.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:45 PM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by whoover
Yes, a lot of things affect traction and the traction of my S65 is much better than I expected. It is much better than the S55 it replaced, which shows that there was a lot of improvement in the W220 chassis to be had merely from suspension tuning.

That said, I still can get the ESP light whenever I want it, especially on the mountain road I live on. There is NO way that this could not be improved with a locking differential.

Rob Allan (former MBUSA AMG product manager) addressed this issue in a Private Lounge chat session last August:

We have installed LSD in the SL65 AMG as standard equipment since torque is so high on that model (1000 N-m / 738 ft - lb), but we have not done this on the E63 AMG. The main reason is that ESP and a number of other chassis systems must be reprogrammed for this specific feature (beware of tuner installations...) and some owners do not like the onset of the limited slip, which can be more abrupt than a standard differential.

In other words, the MB sedan driver cannot be counted on to have the driving skills to warrant an LSD. I personally find this insulting, and am perplexed at why the SL65 driver is perceived to have a different profile. I don't think "the onset of limited slip" would be understood and appreciated significantly more by SL65 drivers than by CL65 drivers, for instance. Clearly the poorer inherent performance of the R230 chassis in this area played a part in the decision, but note that Rob Allen did not say that an LSD wouldn't be useful. It would absolutely cut drag ETs as well as speed through twisties.

It's just that MB is in denial when some of us sedan and coupe owners tell them we enjoy taking this cars through twisties even faster.
I don't get the whole thing either. I think MB/AMG is just being cheap and making excuses and not fully considering all aspects of how we use our cars. The only thing I can think of for them not providing LSD standard in the AMG S and CL's is:

1. Clutch based LSD can be noisy
2. They are being cheap
3. A clutch based LSD can be a handful in the snow, even with something like ESP. I drive my CL55 in the snow so this could be a concern for me ... but in reality, if things got real bad it would stay in the garage.

In the end, I think they are just being cheap and realize most people won't notice they don't have it.

My biggest beef about not having LSD as standard equipment? Unitrak burn-offs when ESP is off is embarassing. Geez, AMG, figure out your target market :-).