S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Buzzing sound from the dashboard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Buzzing sound from the dashboard

I´m swedish but I hope you understand me anyway. I have a 2005 S65 AMG.

There's an annoying buzzing sound from the instruments on the dashboard (speedometer, rpm-meter etc). The sound appears about 20 minutes after you have started the engine. The sound automaticly stops when the instrument lights turns off. The instrument lights shuts down approximatly 30 seconds after you have turned the engine off.

When the instrument lights are turned off (about 30 secs after you have turned the engine off) everything is quiot. If I then touch the reset button (R) the dashboard lights up and then the sound appears again, even though the engine is turned off. If I wait about 10 minutes the sound doesn't appear at all, but if I then start the engine and drive away the sound appears in just a minute.

What could be wrong? The car is still under warranty but do they have to exchange the whole instrument cluster or is it possible to fix it anyway?

Thanks in advance

/Marky
Old 05-16-2007, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
You should let the dealer diagnose the problem. It could be many things. Replacing the instrument cluster is not hard or traumatic in any way. With the right pair of "keys" it slides out easily. Most of the work is done at the computer, setting the new one to match the old one. But buzzes are usually mechanical, not electronic. A common source is the tiny aspirator fan that sucks air from the passenger compartment over a temperature sensor in the dash area. I don't think that it so close to the instruments, but buzzes are also notoriously difficult to pinpoint with just two ears.

Just relax and let the doctor fix the problem.