S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Clear paint protection film, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63
Originally Posted by tlbeedy
Oops, I forgot to add that we also have it installed on our white Escalade & it is more visible on the white vs. the black. Reason being that when I waxed the Escalade, I should have masked off the seam. This prevents wax build-up which makes it more visible. So, the key to keep it more invisible is to mask off all seams prior to waxing.

got it. this is an abvious and dumb questions but I assume that it would be retarded and makes no sense to wax the clear coat film over the paint. how do you clean it just with a normal wash?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:54 PM

2007 E350 Sport Obsidian Black & 2005 Cadillac Escalade
Originally Posted by noxxin
got it. this is an abvious and dumb questions but I assume that it would be retarded and makes no sense to wax the clear coat film over the paint. how do you clean it just with a normal wash?
Actually you wax the film just as you do the paint. As you wax it, it too will get more of a shine. Not only does it protect your paint from flying debris, it also protect it from bugs that can blister your finish if left on too long. You'll also notice the bugs wash off much easier from the film. I would also recommend having the ClearPlex installed on your windshield as well. I think that only cost $135. And the peace of mind every time a rock is flying towards your windshield is well worth it. Their website is clearplex.com

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:03 PM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by tlbeedy
Actually you wax the film just as you do the paint. As you wax it, it too will get more of a shine. Not only does it protect your paint from flying debris, it also protect it from bugs that can blister your finish if left on too long. You'll also notice the bugs wash off much easier from the film. I would also recommend having the ClearPlex installed on your windshield as well. I think that only cost $135. And the peace of mind every time a rock is flying towards your windshield is well worth it. Their website is clearplex.com

Good luck!
Great. I am setting up an appt with David from Premier today for there socal tour in 10 days. You don't get any swirl marks on the film correct? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:38 PM

Great. I am setting up an appt with David from Premier today for there socal tour in 10 days. You don't get any swirl marks on the film correct? Thanks!
I haven't noticed any swirl marks. But after it's first installed, there will be some small water blisters under the film. However they recommend you leave the car out in the sun as much as possible & they do indeed disappear. This is the same for the windshield film. I would just make sure they can wrap the film around the edges to the underside of the hood & fenders. This makes it much less noticeable. Enjoy!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I'm considering adding the protective film from Premier as well. Where I live, I don't have to worry about paint chips or road conditions, but I do have a BIG PROBLEM with swirl marks. I am planning on doing the WHOLE CAR in order to avoid swirl marks all together and keep the paint in good condition after every wash.
i don't know if anybody realizes this or not....
Swirl marks happen because people either don't care or don't know how to wash their cars.
if you're one of those that take it to the local in/out car wash...most likely...they don't care!

on a black car...you're not suppose to wipe it in a circular motion!
people are taking the wax on / wax off (from karate kid) concept way too seriously...oh....is that how i should wash my car??? duh.

you have to wipe it in one direction.
in addition...a soft clean cloth...micro-fiber preferred.
wash your car with one of those large sponges from the top down...etc...etc..

anyways...i'm not a professional car wash guy and i know it's not a carwahs forum....
but being **** as well about my vehicles...and having black cars for the past 21 years....i've lived and learned....there are ways to avoid having your vehicle washed and clean without the swirls.

1) wash it yourself
2) bring it to a specialty shop (the one I go to charges $75 for a wash)

regardless...i mostly do it myself....it's not about affordability....
bottomline....no one takes care of you better than you.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I'm considering adding the protective film from Premier as well. Where I live, I don't have to worry about paint chips or road conditions, but I do have a BIG PROBLEM with swirl marks. I am planning on doing the WHOLE CAR in order to avoid swirl marks all together and keep the paint in good condition after every wash.
The film will get swirl marks, scratches and water marks. It is not a magic film that is impervious to everything. Trust me since I had it done to 3 cars and removed it from all 3.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Se my other post on this thread. Yes you will get swirl marks, scratches, water spots and staining from bugs. On your black car you will also see stretch marks where they stretch the film. I am **** about my cars and truly over the top when it comes to detailing them. i would never waste my money on this again.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rslpartners
Swirl marks happen because people either don't care or don't know how to wash their cars.
if you're one of those that take it to the local in/out car wash...most likely...they don't care!

people are taking the wax on / wax off (from karate kid) concept way too seriously...oh....is that how i should wash my car??? duh.

anyways...i'm not a professional car wash guy and i know it's not a carwahs forum....
but being **** as well about my vehicles...and having black cars for the past 21 years....i've lived and learned....there are ways to avoid having your vehicle washed and clean without the swirls.

1) wash it yourself

And whatever you do, do not use a sponge. The sponge will trap the dirt and reapply it to the finsh in the form of scratches. I know this thread is not about detailing but a sheepskin mitt using the 2 bucket method to wash your car is the safest way to aviod wash scratches.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 PM

yep...point well taken.

thanks!
one can never have too much information.

i've been using one of those large sponges that you get for tiling projects.
come to think about it....i didn't have any swirl marks...but did scratch my red ferrari after cleaning the back grill....YIKES!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by lkirchner
The film will get swirl marks, scratches and water marks. It is not a magic film that is impervious to everything. Trust me since I had it done to 3 cars and removed it from all 3.
You are correct. Absolutely nothing is impervious to everything. But it is an added layer of protection to the front end. My last car did have a few stretch marks but I relate that to the installer. The install on my current cars is as close to perfect as possible. You have to find an installer who knows what they're doing. And indeed it can scratch & get swirl marks if not maintained the way you maintain your actual paint. But at least it's just in the film. Is all I know is that living in the midwest with harsh winters & lots of loose gravel on the freeways, I literally did not have one rock chip on a car that was 4 yrs old. I could not say that for all previous cars.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 PM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by rslpartners

1) wash it yourself

I have a professional detail guy come to my house every weekend and I use a very high end car wash in LA as well during the week (they have lines of bentley's, lambos, benzs, etc all day long) and it seems like no matter what I do I get swirl marks/light scratched in the paint. I would do it myself but I just don't have the time and I don't trust myseld either. I am so drawn on what to do now that so many people have such strong opinions about this. I was all ready to go for it but now i am back on the fence again.

Last edited by noxxin; 05-30-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:33 AM

Does anyone have any opinions about or experience with this stuff. I am thinking about doing my hood and front facia any thoughts? Upside vs. downside? What's a fair price for the materials and professional installation? Thanks.
It is totally worth it if it is done right by a reputable professional. If you want the best check out Premier.

www.premiermobilegroup.com

Here's more info on the stuff as well:

http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/pa...film_faq.shtml
Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wily
It is totally worth it if it is done right by a reputable professional. If you want the best check out Premier.

www.premiermobilegroup.com

Here's more info on the stuff as well:

http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/pa...film_faq.shtml
PM me if you want to share my experience with them.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:03 PM

09 c63 10 c300 Nissan truck
temp film

Someone needs to market a film that is disposable. A static/no residue film that you can remove after trips or other high risk enviroments.Simi custom cuts of various sizes that are applied to high impact areas
Old 06-02-2007, 12:18 AM

2008 S65 Flint Grey/Black. Wife's car: 1/5/10 2010 E550 Palladium Silver/Natural Beige Leather P2 +
Originally Posted by matt55
Someone needs to market a film that is disposable. A static/no residue film that you can remove after trips or other high risk enviroments.Simi custom cuts of various sizes that are applied to high impact areas
the material is cheap...All these guys that put clear guards on use CAD programs and have machines pre-cut the stuff in minutes and customized to your car's profile and shape. Disposable or not, the time drain/cost is in the installation.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by KBG Developing
I had it done on my M5. My M5 is jet black and you will only notice it if you are looking for it. It is prob the best thing I ever did for that car since I rack up alot of highway miles on it.
Just so you all know....

This KBG Developing guy is a scam artist. Got quite a few of us with a bogus sale in the classified section. What a fukstick!

https://mbworld.org/forums/classifieds/195943-scam-200-starbucks-gc-s.html
Old 06-04-2007, 02:01 AM

he must of needed the money to pay for the clear film

thanks for the heads up!
someone should revoke this jerkoff from the forum.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 AM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Just so you all know....

This KBG Developing guy is a scam artist. Got quite a few of us with a bogus sale in the classified section. What a fukstick!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195943
After speaking to friends and getting some PMs on individual experiences with clear film and some of these companies, I have decided not to do it to my new car. I guess the buffer will be just fine to keep my paint looking nice and new. Thanks everyone for helping to get to my final decision.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 AM

S55 AMG '06
I'm confused...how is it possible this KBG guy still has an account on this board?

I agree with your decision Noxin. Make sure your detailer never uses silicon based tire shine. That stuff spits up onto your paint and begins to eat through it. If you have to use it, make sure you wipe it down completely and have them hit the tires with the airgun to remove any excess.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by peebs1
I'm confused...how is it possible this KBG guy still has an account on this board?

I agree with your decision Noxin. Make sure your detailer never uses silicon based tire shine. That stuff spits up onto your paint and begins to eat through it. If you have to use it, make sure you wipe it down completely and have them hit the tires with the airgun to remove any excess.
He's banned now!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Should I do it or not???

I was planning on covering the whole car with protective paint and have Premier do the installation. Now, I'm thinking twice about it. I don't travel much, so I'm not concerned with paint chips and flying rocks, but what does CONCERN me the most is SWIRL MARKS on my paint. I hate swirl marks.

I understand that I will get swirl marks on the film, but I would think that the film would be more resistant to swirl marks than the paint?

Also, if I get swirl marks on the film, would it be easier to get swirl marks off the film without harming paint?

If you guys prefer to share your experience privately, please PM me. This will cost me a LOT of money and I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing to protect the car.