S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Clear paint protection film, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63
Clear paint protection film, is it worth it?

Does anyone have any opinions about or experience with this stuff. I am thinking about doing my hood and front facia any thoughts? Upside vs. downside? What's a fair price for the materials and professional installation? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I think it is around $700, includes the mirrors also, got an expert over in my neck of the woods that does them, He uses venture shield, I thought 3M was good, but I looked at their website and they compared it to the 3M... anyways i think it is well worth it
Old 05-26-2007, 11:52 PM

2008 S65 Flint Grey/Black. Wife's car: 1/5/10 2010 E550 Palladium Silver/Natural Beige Leather P2 +
No question about getting it done. I had the guys at Premier do my F430 and my S65. The material they use is very high quality is about twice as thick as anything 3M makes. As far the installation the guys at Premier are simply the best. It takes ~ 6-8 hours for the installation. They take there time and they back up there installations. Sam who owns the place is a perfectionist as well as his team.

For my S65 the did my headlights, front bumpers, hood and fenders to the apex point of both, the rocker panels and a strip on top of the rear bumper to protect potential damage from items getting put in and out of the truck. I would rather not quote the price since I was an early on customer when they were just starting out and a repeat customer. I will however tell you that $700 won't cover the cost on an 2007 S65. Bottom line there are no cons and the pro's are pretty obvious especially if you ever take your car up to 100mph + from time to time. When anything hits the front of your car at those speeds the paint has no chance. A bug turns into a rock.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:53 PM

2008 S65 Flint Grey/Black. Wife's car: 1/5/10 2010 E550 Palladium Silver/Natural Beige Leather P2 +
oh...and mirrors of course.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:22 AM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by Autobahn-Maniac
No question about getting it done. I had the guys at Premier do my F430 and my S65. The material they use is very high quality is about twice as thick as anything 3M makes. As far the installation the guys at Premier are simply the best. It takes ~ 6-8 hours for the installation. They take there time and they back up there installations. Sam who owns the place is a perfectionist as well as his team.

For my S65 the did my headlights, front bumpers, hood and fenders to the apex point of both, the rocker panels and a strip on top of the rear bumper to protect potential damage from items getting put in and out of the truck. I would rather not quote the price since I was an early on customer when they were just starting out and a repeat customer. I will however tell you that $700 won't cover the cost on an 2007 S65. Bottom line there are no cons and the pro's are pretty obvious especially if you ever take your car up to 100mph + from time to time. When anything hits the front of your car at those speeds the paint has no chance. A bug turns into a rock.
seems like a good investment even tho the car is a lease. are there any visable seems in the film? they are in SD correct? thanks for the info i appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:58 AM

S55 AMG '06
I would never do it if you lease your car. There ARE two cons/downsides to doing this on a leased vehicle. One, you will never get back the cost to have it done...which should be rougly $1,200 - $1,500 to have everything you've talked about done. If you plan on purchasing your car after the lease, perhaps. Frankly though, your buy back will be far more expensive than the car will likely be worth. This based on the general depreciation schedule of very high end MBs. Two, there are ALWAYS seams and a different reflective quality to the areas with the shield. Anyone who tells you different is simply not being honest with you. They've come a long way, but this stuff is NOT invisible and is especially obstrusive on a black car. And God forbid there is an error made when putting it on and it develops a problem where they have to remove it...talk about inexact science. They are FAR more adept at putting it on than they are at removing it without any potential paint damage.

JBondox, Maniac...chime in here, am I just making this up or do you agree?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by noxxin
seems like a good investment even tho the car is a lease. are there any visable seems in the film? they are in SD correct? thanks for the info i appreciate the feedback.
>>>"seems like a good investment"<<<

On a leased car,
Old 05-27-2007, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Does anyone have any opinions about or experience with this stuff. I am thinking about doing my hood and front facia any thoughts? Upside vs. downside? What's a fair price for the materials and professional installation? Thanks.
There is a big difference between covering just the hood and the whole frontal area (around lights, bumper etc) so make sure you know what the package includes.

Once installed never hit the hood or most of your investment will down the drain.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:44 PM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by peebs1
I would never do it if you lease your car. There ARE two cons/downsides to doing this on a leased vehicle. One, you will never get back the cost to have it done...which should be rougly $1,200 - $1,500 to have everything you've talked about done. If you plan on purchasing your car after the lease, perhaps. Frankly though, your buy back will be far more expensive than the car will likely be worth. This based on the general depreciation schedule of very high end MBs. Two, there are ALWAYS seams and a different reflective quality to the areas with the shield. Anyone who tells you different is simply not being honest with you. They've come a long way, but this stuff is NOT invisible and is especially obstrusive on a black car. And God forbid there is an error made when putting it on and it develops a problem where they have to remove it...talk about inexact science. They are FAR more adept at putting it on than they are at removing it without any potential paint damage.

JBondox, Maniac...chime in here, am I just making this up or do you agree?
It's not really about the money and more about keeping the paint super nice while I drive it. hmmm all good points though, I wouldn't want to be able to see it was on the car at all. these black cars always get swirl marks in the paint too so I was thinking for the hood and front facia it could be good. let me ponder on this one somemore I guess. thanks peebs.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:47 PM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
>>>"seems like a good investment"<<<

On a leased car,
more of an investment in my driving enjoyment and look of the car for my personal needs. but I guess I didn't make that so clear. up in the air on this now. my tint guy does it and suggested doing it as well, that's what sparked my interest in the first place.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:48 PM

S55 AMG '06
I figured that was also a component of the "investment" concept...you seem like a meticulous guy. I think the S63 really appeals to that sort. Think of the clearcoat as a bulletproof vest. It's more to protect your original investment, so that when you take off the clearcoat, the body in intact. This does not mean that the clearcoat can't scratch, chip or otherwise be damaged...it's just harder to do it than with the standard paint. And it's especially difficult to work all the way through both the clearcoat of the 3M or whatever, plus the clearcoat on your standard car finish. Definitely check out a black car with it before you make the jump. You'll be happy to did. It really is one of those things that you just have to see for yourself. What some people might think is something they can't even see, may wind up being the only thing I notice when I look at the car. If you join the ranks of the ****-retentive/borderline OCD...it'll stick out like a crooked painting.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep...i agree.

I wouldn't do it and I own.

Regardless owning or leasing...putting that plastic over a beautiful car like just takes away from the beauty.....ESPECIALLY IF IT'S BLACK!!! EVERYTHING WILL SHOW!!!

Doing the plastic thing reminds me of back in the days when the older generation (grandma) would put plastic coverings over their sofas...yikes!

If you don't want any chips....don't drive it....or drive carefully.

One thing to consider is perhaps a bra.
Now before I hear it from the peanut gallery....I know the bra is one of those 80s things....and may make it look stupid.

However, for long freeway trips where you may end up opening it up...put it on to protect it....then when you're done going crazy....take it off.
Regardless of it looking dumb...you can protect and remove it without hassle at your discretion.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:53 AM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Post I put PermaFinish and 3MClearBra on mine, it works well

I had my car's paint treated when it was brand new with PermaFinish paint protection system, so they had to bake the car's paint with it on for 2 days straight. Then I had the 3M Clear Bra applied everywhere that was necessary. It all seems to work very well, especially the PermaFinish. It's by a company called Airamar, and it supposedly fills in any microscopic holes/imperfections in the car's paint at the microscopic level, and it seems to work. Nothing on the road seems to stick to the car's paint now, it's alot more slippery and always has a nice wet shine to it. And when it's time to wash it, just a high pressure spray and it looks pretty much like it just got waxed and detailed again. Worth every penny so far. Most notably, whereas before on my other cars in the past, taking them to car washes and letting other people detail them would leave many scratches and swirl marks all over the car, this car, even after many many washes at car washes I've taken it to, still has no swirl marks or scratches.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:37 PM

hmm...that's something i may consider....the perma finish system.
how much did it cost and where did you have it done?

thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 03:31 PM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Smile About a grand, got it done in Georgia.

What state do you live in? If you don't want to bring the car all the way to georgia, it might be better to just look it up on the internet in your area. the company's name is airamar, the product is called PermaFinish.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:44 PM

i'm in CA.
thanks for the info.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Swirl Marks Protection

I'm considering adding the protective film from Premier as well. Where I live, I don't have to worry about paint chips or road conditions, but I do have a BIG PROBLEM with swirl marks. I am planning on doing the WHOLE CAR in order to avoid swirl marks all together and keep the paint in good condition after every wash.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
After being in a small fender bender, I would do it. When I bought my E55, it came with the protection. A few months later somebody sideswiped the front fender and scratched up the car pretty bad...or so I thought. The part that was hurt the worst was the part with the paint protection. I peeled it off and voila!! No paint damage whatsoever!! I found a PDR guy who was able to remove the small dents and it was like nothing happened. My situation was unique, but I would definitely do it. However, if I was leasing, I honestly don't think I would.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 PM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by medici78
After being in a small fender bender, I would do it. When I bought my E55, it came with the protection. A few months later somebody sideswiped the front fender and scratched up the car pretty bad...or so I thought. The part that was hurt the worst was the part with the paint protection. I peeled it off and voila!! No paint damage whatsoever!! I found a PDR guy who was able to remove the small dents and it was like nothing happened. My situation was unique, but I would definitely do it. However, if I was leasing, I honestly don't think I would.
I am getting such a mixed response from people on this. I really need to see a black car with the treatment to get an idea if it will be too obvious for my taste. Does anyone have a recommendation of where I can see an actual black car in so cal with this treatment. thanks guys.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

06 M5, 07 S550
I am getting such a mixed response from people on this. I really need to see a black car with the treatment to get an idea if it will be too obvious for my taste. Does anyone have a recommendation of where I can see an actual black car in so cal with this treatment. thanks guys.
I had it done on my M5. My M5 is jet black and you will only notice it if you are looking for it. It is prob the best thing I ever did for that car since I rack up alot of highway miles on it.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:00 AM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by KBG Developing
I had it done on my M5. My M5 is jet black and you will only notice it if you are looking for it. It is prob the best thing I ever did for that car since I rack up alot of highway miles on it.
does everyone agree that it keeps swirl marks off the paint? this is the biggest issue i have. where did you get yours done? where is the best place in los angeles premier? thanks.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:12 AM

Premier gets my vote. Do it...you won't regret it whether your car is leased or purchased. Who likes chipped paint on a $200K dark car?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 AM

2007 E350 Sport Obsidian Black & 2005 Cadillac Escalade
The same day I picked up my new mercedes I drove directly to my clear bra guy & had the clear bra installed on the entire front end (hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors, fog lights & bumpers). My car is obsidian black & no one even notices it unless the light hits it just right. There are virtually no seams as the installer curved the edges to the underside of the hood & fenders. I also had this film on my 2003 black mercedes that I just turned in on lease. Prior to the turn-in I wanted to pull it off to see if it did indeed protect the front. To my surprise, the finish was showroom condition new. If you ever have to pull it off for any reason, it definitely helped to heat it up with a hairdryer while pulling it off. As a perfectionist, I would rather see a few minor seams vs. chunks of paint missing from flying debris.

The installer also installed a new product to my windshield called ClearPlex that prevents any rock chips & cracked windshields. There are absolutely no seams & it is completely invisible. Who cares if the car is leased? I'm driving it & I want it perfect.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:21 AM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by Autobahn-Maniac
Premier gets my vote. Do it...you won't regret it whether your car is leased or purchased. Who likes chipped paint on a $200K dark car?
nuff said boys, i'm in. calling premier in the morning to set it up. is there shop in LA? where exactly are they located. thanks everyone!!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:21 AM

2007 E350 Sport Obsidian Black & 2005 Cadillac Escalade
Oops, I forgot to add that we also have it installed on our white Escalade & it is more visible on the white vs. the black. Reason being that when I waxed the Escalade, I should have masked off the seam. This prevents wax build-up which makes it more visible. So, the key to keep it more invisible is to mask off all seams prior to waxing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear paint protection film, is it worth it?