S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

2008 S63 Oil Level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 G63
2008 S63 Oil Level

Does anyone have a 2008 S63? My electronic oil level check is not working and I think it may be a software issue. Got a warning light for low oil after 2500 miles and dipstick confirmed the finding. Oil level monitor from the "Service" menu on the dash will not perform level check.

Anyone with same issue?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:17 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
IIRC, S/CL63 don't have computerized indicator of oil level...only a low oil lvl warning....

63 motor is known to need oil add every ?3Kmis or so (less often post break-in).....have dealer chk/add oil as needed at the 1-3K mi mtce chk...
Old 11-22-2007, 08:55 PM

2020 G63
Thanks. I know there was no electronic level check for early 2008 S/CL63's but mine does have the option to check oil level on the "Service" menu. Was it added with the later 2008 software update and mine is not working or did they all have the option on the menu and it never worked?
Old 11-23-2007, 12:00 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by rich_daystrom
Thanks. I know there was no electronic level check for early 2008 S/CL63's but mine does have the option to check oil level on the "Service" menu. Was it added with the later 2008 software update and mine is not working or did they all have the option on the menu and it never worked?
Interesting...will chk tomorrow...

Have a CL63 030 June build which doesn't have this update if I recall...very much appreciate a more precise electronic oil gauge (ala Porsche)....the ole dipstick is rather archaic in context of a rather digital/tech-intensive car like CL/S63.....
Old 11-23-2007, 12:14 AM

s63, e55
i needed an oil refill around 1000 miles and around 5000 miles (got 5600 on it now)
Old 11-23-2007, 04:52 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Just chkd...my car doesn't have an oil lvl gauge monitor in dash...only a chk engine oil lvl warning lt (2 stages if I recall....~pls chk engine oil at next fillup and a more emergent warning....)

Pls let us know if newer builds indeed have a computerized oil lvl monitor....thx.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:45 PM

s63, e55
Originally Posted by WSH
Just chkd...my car doesn't have an oil lvl gauge monitor in dash...only a chk engine oil lvl warning lt (2 stages if I recall....~pls chk engine oil at next fillup and a more emergent warning....)

Pls let us know if newer builds indeed have a computerized oil lvl monitor....thx.

my '08 s63 has what u have and not an actual oil lvl gauge.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:59 PM

C32 '02 silver 70K
Originally Posted by WSH
Interesting...will chk tomorrow...

Have a CL63 030 June build which doesn't have this update if I recall...very much appreciate a more precise electronic oil gauge (ala Porsche)....the ole dipstick is rather archaic in context of a rather digital/tech-intensive car like CL/S63.....
Be happy, if you have a dipstick; my C32 was serviced at the (same) dealer until 50K. Every time they screwed up: too much oil or not enough oil was put in. How do I know? I had fabricated the dipstick when the car was new and had an option this way to check the dealer (who did not know how to read the electronic "dipstick"). In my presence (+ salesman, + shop foreman) I MADE them check it; remove the (new) oil and replace it. They used the "shop dip stick" - and were not able to convert the mm to quarts.... and the guy who pumped the oil was supposed to count the click clicks (quarts) going in. Did AMG hear about that? Yes!!

That's why you now get a dipstick - so any REAL DUMMY should be able to at least read the thing. Still makes me xxxxxxxxxxxx.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 321 Likes on 237 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
My W220 has an electronic dipstick. In engineering mode it displays to the tenth of a quart. It works great and even a total dipstick can read it.

Why doesn't the 63 engine have it? Is it missing only on early versions or has it been deleted by design?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Don't know why 63 doesn't have e-dipstick....

My CL600 and CL550 also didn't have a somewhat precise e-stick....nor did my '07 SL65 IIRC....

MB can be strange re: stuff they change....have a colleague who typically gets a new CL65 every 6-12mos (hates cars w/>5K mis and/or oppty costs of any mtce downtime/hassles)....and noticed that in ?second model yr of produc (of prior gen CL65), MB mysteriously eliminated the rt mirror tilt-down function upon reversing (hugely important for parallel parking in urban settings)....perhaps supplier issues....e.g., noticed that several early '08 CL65s lacked std DistronicPlus....

Personally, e-stick is what I prefer...though enjoy the dynamic nuances/aesthetics of cars and will carefully monitor tire P's, oil lvls, etc, am not a DIY guy anyway....would rather have a good relationship w/a competent dealer who will assign their better techs to their more profitable customers' cars.....have always received superb svc....but rarely keep any car beyond 5K mis, simply b/c I prefer factory specs/robotic installation to any dealer/post-factory svc....and have doubts re: shape of decay curves of any car's perf tires/wheels/brakes after 5K mis, esp when subjected to stresses of imperfect roads.....
Old 11-24-2007, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 321 Likes on 237 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by WSH
Don't know why 63 doesn't have e-dipstick....

My CL600 and CL550 also didn't have a somewhat precise e-stick....nor did my '07 SL65 IIRC....

MB can be strange re: stuff they change....have a colleague who typically gets a new CL65 every 6-12mos (hates cars w/>5K mis and/or oppty costs of any mtce downtime/hassles)....and noticed that in ?second model yr of produc (of prior gen CL65), MB mysteriously eliminated the rt mirror tilt-down function upon reversing (hugely important for parallel parking in urban settings)....perhaps supplier issues....e.g., noticed that several early '08 CL65s lacked std DistronicPlus....

Personally, e-stick is what I prefer...though enjoy the dynamic nuances/aesthetics of cars and will carefully monitor tire P's, oil lvls, etc, am not a DIY guy anyway....would rather have a good relationship w/a competent dealer who will assign their better techs to their more profitable customers' cars.....have always received superb svc....but rarely keep any car beyond 5K mis, simply b/c I prefer factory specs/robotic installation to any dealer/post-factory svc....and have doubts re: shape of decay curves of any car's perf tires/wheels/brakes after 5K mis, esp when subjected to stresses of imperfect roads.....
The mirror parking dip was disabled because it confused too many owners. Apparently setting the position and remembering that the adjuster toggle had to be kept in the right-hand mirror position was too much for many and MB got tired of paying for spurious warranty visits. I had my dealer reactivate mine with Star Diag. Key-dependent memory also was turned off for the same reason. Owners couldn't figure out that each key had its own memory settings. In they'd go for warranty service: "I set my seat position any it got lost." I had the dealer reactivate that too.

Other things deleted over the life of the W220 include the inside rear-view mirror being motor controlled and on memory, valet trunk lock (that's a big pain) and a neat pen compartment in the glove compartment door. I have no idea why the couple of bucks they save is worth annoying loyal owner who trade their cars in and miss features.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:01 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by whoover
The mirror parking dip was disabled because it confused too many owners. Apparently setting the position and remembering that the adjuster toggle had to be kept in the right-hand mirror position was too much for many and MB got tired of paying for spurious warranty visits. I had my dealer reactivate mine with Star Diag. Key-dependent memory also was turned off for the same reason. Owners couldn't figure out that each key had its own memory settings. In they'd go for warranty service: "I set my seat position any it got lost." I had the dealer reactivate that too.

Other things deleted over the life of the W220 include the inside rear-view mirror being motor controlled and on memory, valet trunk lock (that's a big pain) and a neat pen compartment in the glove compartment door. I have no idea why the couple of bucks they save is worth annoying loyal owner who trade their cars in and miss features.
Wow....never ceases to amaze me how IQ-challenged are most buyers of $150K+ cars (of any brand)....and I suspect it becomes worse as one goes down the food chain of car buyers....Darwinian selection on various levels...really scary is that we drive on same roads w/these people....why I would argue world's only "risk-adjusted" supercar today is S/CL63/65...which car would one want to be in if rear-ended at high speeds on 280 fwy...or if face frontal collision in mtn twisties?....

I always laugh at the absurdity of various car quality surveys (and those who actually believe them)...most of the clowns who would waste their time filling out such surveys tend to "self-select", shall we say? Prob the same guys bitterly complaining that their otherwise flawless 63/600/65 only gets 12MPG and that it actually depreciates.....and the imbeciles at the silly surveys prob count each inane complaint as a defect....equivalent to a roadside disabling event.....they don't hand out those surveys...or jobs at survey firms to just anyone.....

BTW, CL63 has the rt mirror tilt-down function...and would argue many of the ergonomics/ergonomic details are superb, aside from a few minor inefficiencies (e.g., no estick, no central tach, less ability to customize various flat-panel displays, etc)....net, net IMO, overall ergonomics dwarf those of any car on mkt today....after one yr of largely driving various new CLs (spent a couple yrs doing my Porsche/Ferrari "sabbatical", so I'm now more firmly impressed than ever w/AMG's engineering excellence), feel like I'm driving an ancient-tech/analog/Luddite car whenever I drive any new Ferrari, Porsche, etc.....
Old 12-17-2007, 07:47 PM

2008 S63
Oil S63

Ive got 6200 miles on an 08 S63 and Ive needed to add a quart of oil about every 1500 miles at least!!.

I spoke to MB and they said its "normal" for the AMG to burn a lot of oil for the first 5000 miles or so but after I add this next quart I think I may bring it in.

I was also told by a tech that after the first 1500 miles where we had limits on mph and rpms, that after the initial breake in period "drive it hard' because the transmission actually "learns" from how you drive and these engines are meant to drive hard.

Anyone have information on either of these topics??
Old 12-18-2007, 11:20 AM

s63, e55
your s63 performs an actual oil lvl check (where it tells u how many quarts to fill up)?
i dont think mine does, it will just say check engine oil at next refueling and nothing else.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:02 PM

2008 S63 and 2006 CLS55
Excessive Oil consumption

Originally Posted by KYDD23
Ive got 6200 miles on an 08 S63 and Ive needed to add a quart of oil about every 1500 miles at least!!.

I spoke to MB and they said its "normal" for the AMG to burn a lot of oil for the first 5000 miles or so but after I add this next quart I think I may bring it in.

I was also told by a tech that after the first 1500 miles where we had limits on mph and rpms, that after the initial breake in period "drive it hard' because the transmission actually "learns" from how you drive and these engines are meant to drive hard.

Anyone have information on either of these topics??

KyyDD23: I own an 08 S63 as well. Had 4 oil refills at the dealer - current mileage is under 5000 as well. Was told that this may be not uncommon??? Currently performing an oil consumption test. Please keep me posted on your trials.