S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Transmission problem - not shifting properly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' S600L
Exclamation Transmission problem - not shifting properly

Hi guys

A friend of mine has a problem in his '06 S55 transmission. I don't know exactly how it is but I'll describe it here and try to get more info form him later on.

Problem as he described:
"Tranny isn't shifting properly. It makes some noise and it's very noticeable (and annoying) when shifting from gear to gear.
I feel like gear might break if I give more pressure!"

as I said, I'd get more details of the problem, but would appreciate if someone can advice on what might be the reasons of a faulty tranny!

also, out of curiosity.. does anyone knows if these models were built with 5 or 7 gears?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by hAnDyGUY
Hi guys

A friend of mine has a problem in his '06 S55 transmission. I don't know exactly how it is but I'll describe it here and try to get more info form him later on.

Problem as he described:
"Tranny isn't shifting properly. It makes some noise and it's very noticeable (and annoying) when shifting from gear to gear.
I feel like gear might break if I give more pressure!"

as I said, I'd get more details of the problem, but would appreciate if someone can advice on what might be the reasons of a faulty tranny!

also, out of curiosity.. does anyone knows if these models were built with 5 or 7 gears?

Thanks in advance
It's a five-speed, and why isn't he just taking it to the dealer? It sounds like he needs a new transmission.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:13 PM

04' S600L
Originally Posted by whoover
It's a five-speed.
I remember reading somewhere in the forum that late 2006 models came with 7-speed
and why isn't he just taking it to the dealer? It sounds like he needs a new transmission.
the car has been shipped out of the US, therefore it has no warranty.
I was hoping with some of the member experience to help him find a solution!

by the way, it might be cheaper to ship a new transmissition to him.. any idea what the S55 gear costs? (yes I know it's expensive, but might be worth it)
Old 12-08-2007, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I remember reading somewhere in the forum that late 2006 models came with 7-speed

the car has been shipped out of the US, therefore it has no warranty.
I was hoping with some of the member experience to help him find a solution!

by the way, it might be cheaper to ship a new transmissition to him.. any idea what the S55 gear costs? (yes I know it's expensive, but might be worth it)
W220 AMG and V-12 models had too much torque for the 7-speed, and retained the 5-speed. A transmission will probably be over $5,000. Getting a tranny for a US VIN abroad will be a pain. You might have to eat the core fee on the new one from the US because it will be more expensive to ship the old one back to the States than the deposit it will get back. I'd explore a local resource first. But noises usually indicate problems that make repair impossible.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:32 PM

04' S600L
Originally Posted by whoover
W220 AMG and V-12 models had too much torque for the 7-speed, and retained the 5-speed. A transmission will probably be over $5,000. Getting a tranny for a US VIN abroad will be a pain. You might have to eat the core fee on the new one from the US because it will be more expensive to ship the old one back to the States than the deposit it will get back. I'd explore a local resource first. But noises usually indicate problems that make repair impossible.
Thanks for your reply, whoover!

I'd get more info from him, which might be usefull to collect some feedback from members.
I still think it might get repaired (in a way)

another option maybe, a used working gearbox.. anyone recommend in that situation?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:23 AM

04' S600L
ok, here's an update:
the problem started after hitting something hard underneath the car (don't know how that happened and how bad it was). so now it's hard to put on D, and when he does the gear seems not to function properly.

so I assume it's not the whole tranny, rather than something broken or went out of its place from below the car after the hit..

anyone know what could that be?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 S63=AMG: Black (Savanna/Cashmere) Kleeman Delimited 200MPH
If there is an option to take it to any dealer (warranty or not) then utilize thier troubleshooting skills/equipment and you wont need to guess.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
This sounds like it needs a trip to the dealer.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:58 PM

ok, here's an update:
the problem started after hitting something hard underneath the car (don't know how that happened and how bad it was). so now it's hard to put on D, and when he does the gear seems not to function properly.

so I assume it's not the whole tranny, rather than something broken or went out of its place from below the car after the hit..

anyone know what could that be?

Could have done damage to the transmission oil pan, pushing the pan into the valve body were the Manual valve lives, MV direct fluid too shifting components, clutch drums. MV also engages park, hopefully the transmission case is not crack. Any Transmission shop with MB experience can handle this problem
Old 12-15-2007, 05:20 AM

04' S600L
Originally Posted by C32AMG/02
Could have done damage to the transmission oil pan, pushing the pan into the valve body were the Manual valve lives, MV direct fluid too shifting components, clutch drums. MV also engages park, hopefully the transmission case is not crack. Any Transmission shop with MB experience can handle this problem
Thanks for the useful reply, I'll tell him all that info hoping they find the exact problem.
otherwise, I'd go with what the rest have said.. a trip to the dealer paying some extar $$ for a report

by the way guys, anyone knows where he can get a used tranny (or parts) for S55? might be useful info as well after getting a report!
Online or physical shop anywhere around him (he's in NY)

Thanks again!