S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

New Owner ... 2001 Kleemann S55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2008 | 10:07 PM

Kleemann S55 AMG
New Owner ... 2001 Kleemann S55 AMG

Hey guys, I wanted to introduce myself to the board. I just impulse-purchased (usually a bad idea, I know) a 2001 Kleemann charged S55 with 175,000 miles on the clock. It was owned by a local executive, and I bought it from him for $13,500 because it seemed like a great deal. He always had it serviced at the MB dealer, so that was another factor in my decision. It is very powerful and runs/drives/shifts great. The couple of problems I want to address are first off, the blower motor just went out on it (which is why he parked it and got a new MB), and it is leaking a bit of power steering fluid on the driver's side front. There are also a couple of interior things like repariing or replacing the driver's seat trim because there is a broken massage button, and repairing or replacing the passenger's side rear ash tray, which will not stay tucked into the door. Everything else is in great shape it seems like.

I drove it twice to check everything out and put it through its paces and will be picking it up from him next week when he gets back in the country. Of course his wife didn't know much of anything about the car, but she said that he sent it off to Kleemann as soon as they released the supercharger kit for the car. A quick look under the hood also revealed Kleemann headers, soi I don't know what package he got from them. Does anyone know about what the power output should be with the Kleemann blower on? To me it feel like at least 450HP ... it could even be 500+ HP because I know it hides speed well, but I would like to know an approximate power output.

Also, I know some of you will probably flame me because of the mileage, but guys, I think the price more than justifies the miles. Also, mileage doesn't much scare me on premium German cars. I have an '01 Audi S8 that I have absolutely flogged the hell out of for 145,000 miles and it has NEVER gone wrong ... it drives like the day it rolled off the delivery truck. The only thing that worries me is the transmission, because he says it's the original. How tough are these trannys and how are they on longevity guys? It shifts smooth at any throttle and show no signs of age but I'd like to know its life expectancy nonetheless.

What else would you guys do as far as maintenance on the car? Feel free to give it to me on buying one with such high miles as well, I'm a big boy, so I can take it, haha. Also, does anyone know how to replace the blower motor on these ... or have an idea what I'll be dealing with in regards to the power steering leak? I'm all ears to whatever knowledge you guys can give me, and trust me, I'll be all over the forum learning all that I can. I'm excited to finally join the family of cars that I've always had tremendous respect for - thank you for having me.
Old 07-23-2008 | 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E430
Originally Posted by dkinder

Also, I know some of you will probably flame me because of the mileage, but guys, I think the price more than justifies the miles.
The old style twin screw Kleemann superchargers are selling used for around 7K+ so I'd say you probably did pretty good on price.

As for HP and other info there are several members on this site with Kleemann superchargers. Blackbenz, AMGSC, Ted Baldwin, Jeff.bisonett and a few others. Try searching their posts and I'm sure you will learn a lot.