S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

s63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 MERCEDES BENZ S55 Amg
s63

does anyone have an idea how much an s63 amg will cost if i wait like two or three years because i dont want to get hit with that new car deprication i was thinking of getting an s550 sport but i changed my mind and would rather waith for an s63amg.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by mr.benzino
does anyone have an idea how much an s63 amg will cost if i wait like two or three years because i dont want to get hit with that new car deprication i was thinking of getting an s550 sport but i changed my mind and would rather waith for an s63amg.

I am new to the board and curious about the same thing. I have an '07 BMW 550i leased into next year, but hope to replace it with a pre-owned s63. Hopefully, they'll depreciate significantly before then...

Cheers!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:56 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Well, you hit the jackpot with that idea!
Just look at autotrader.com and you can already see what great deals you can get. The next year will be though for the industry, meaning the eals will be sweeter.

Why not looking at a S65? With a time-window of 2 years, there might be no substantial price-difference between these 2 cars. You might even be able to get one that is still under factory warranty (if it's a late 07 or early 08).

BTW, the cheapest 2007 S65 is already offered below $100K...

Here's a link (look at the many "Reduced!" marks. I bet that this trend will continue. Some of these cars are reduced more than $5K over night.):

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1227552898602

EDIT: I just compared prices. The 63s aren't cheaper than the 65s, so I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't pick the 65 over the 63. Can you?

Last edited by FloridaE55; 11-24-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Check the comparable models that are now 2-3 years old, and see how much they have depreciated in that time span. Best comp is probably the w220 S55?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:08 PM

03 MERCEDES BENZ S55 Amg
s63

i have seen 63 for under a 100k so i was thinking if i wait two or three years from now with the economy the way it is i should get a pretty good deal on one it got to be white or silver.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:32 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
i have seen 63 for under a 100k so i was thinking if i wait two or three years from now with the economy the way it is i should get a pretty good deal on one it got to be white or silver.
Again, why not a S65?

The one listed on Autotrader is $97,888 and actually white.

This one: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=916

Last edited by FloridaE55; 11-24-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 AM

03 MERCEDES BENZ S55 Amg
s63

the only reason is that the mileage has to be between 25kor30k and repair coast are higher on the 65 compare to the 63 the 63 is expensive to repair dont get me wrong but not as much as the 65.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:59 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
the only reason is that the mileage has to be between 25kor30k and repair coast are higher on the 65 compare to the 63 the 63 is expensive to repair dont get me wrong but not as much as the 65.
Hmm, I still see no reason to select a 63 over a 65.

When it comes to repairs, none of these cars should be without warranty. Why should you buy a car with 25-30K miles where the warranty has already expired? Are there actually cars with such a low mileage that are older than 4 years? Remember, as long as the car is covered under the original warranty, you can extend it to 100K miles (including additional years, of course). When it comes to warranty, I'd pick a 2-year old car with 45k miles over a 3-year old car with 25K miles. With the MB extended warranty, you won't run out of miles soon (100K), so you should focus on the age rather than the mileage (as long as it's below 50K).

So if a pre-owned 63 and 65 are already costing virtually the same today, I also don't see a reason why this should change in the future.

Just keep an eye on Autotrader and you won't believe your eyes..

Last edited by FloridaE55; 11-26-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:33 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by FloridaE55
Again, why not a S65?

The one listed on Autotrader is $97,888 and actually white.

This one: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=916
Car is still available, now for $2K less, $95,888 (and I bet they sell it for $90K). Not bad for a $200k-car still under factory warranty. It's def. a BUYER'S market right now.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
When looking at a used S63/65, can warranty be extended? It depends...

FloridaE55 - Re: your recent statement "Remember, as long as the car is covered under the original warranty, you can extend it to 100K miles (including additional years, of course)." I want to clarify this statement for all of our forum readers. My understanding is that you can only get a MB Extended Warrany (up to 3 additional years and 100K additional miles, whichever comes first) if you are the original owner of the vehicle in question. Otherwise, you can't. The only other way to get a MB Extended Warranty (and this might not be as long in terms of years although it might cover as many miles) is to buy a pre-owned Mercedes that has been Certified by a MB dealer. You will note that most of these are written in a way that only give you ONE additional year of coverage from the 4 year factory warranty period that is standard in US. Perhaps someone can verify or dispute what I am saying. If my assumptions are true, then the extension of the standard new car warranty (beyond 4 years and 50K miles) under the MB Extended Warranty program (versus the often unreliable/risky third party insurance alternative) is NOT as easy to obtain as generally thought. I myself did not understand this at all when I was in the market for a used S600/CL600 last year and had the same misconceptions that anyone could extend the warranties if you were willing to pay for it! And if these caveats are true, that is something people should factor-in when considering a used S63/S65 (or CL63/CL65) in the secondary (pre-owned) market. Most original owners of these vehicles never think to buy an extended warranty since they don't plan to keep the car beyond the first 4 years. Thus for a potential second hand buyer of these highly engineered vehicles (e.g. S65/S600), the difficulty in obtaining a reasonably priced MB extended warranty might explain at least one of the reasons why the used values of these wonderful high-end MBs are so low. Any comments by others with experience in obtaining a MB Extended Warranty when they were NOT the original purchaser of the vehicle, or obtained under the Certified Pre-Owned program from a MB dealer, would be of interest. Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Z356.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:43 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by Z356
FloridaE55 - Re: your recent statement "Remember, as long as the car is covered under the original warranty, you can extend it to 100K miles (including additional years, of course)." I want to clarify this statement for all of our forum readers. My understanding is that you can only get a MB Extended Warrany (up to 3 additional years and 100K additional miles, whichever comes first) if you are the original owner of the vehicle in question. Otherwise, you can't. The only other way to get a MB Extended Warranty (and this might not be as long in terms of years although it might cover as many miles) is to buy a pre-owned Mercedes that has been Certified by a MB dealer. You will note that most of these are written in a way that only give you ONE additional year of coverage from the 4 year factory warranty period that is standard in US. Perhaps someone can verify or dispute what I am saying. If my assumptions are true, then the extension of the standard new car warranty (beyond 4 years and 50K miles) under the MB Extended Warranty program (versus the often unreliable/risky third party insurance alternative) is NOT as easy to obtain as generally thought. I myself did not understand this at all when I was in the market for a used S600/CL600 last year and had the same misconceptions that anyone could extend the warranties if you were willing to pay for it! And if these caveats are true, that is something people should factor-in when considering a used S63/S65 (or CL63/CL65) in the secondary (pre-owned) market. Most original owners of these vehicles never think to buy an extended warranty since they don't plan to keep the car beyond the first 4 years. Thus for a potential second hand buyer of these highly engineered vehicles (e.g. S65/S600), the difficulty in obtaining a reasonably priced MB extended warranty might explain at least one of the reasons why the used values of these wonderful high-end MBs are so low. Any comments by others with experience in obtaining a MB Extended Warranty when they were NOT the original purchaser of the vehicle, or obtained under the Certified Pre-Owned program from a MB dealer, would be of interest. Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Z356.
That would be interesting to know for sure. When reading the offers on autotrader, I often read the phrase "extended warranty available". So far, I assumed that has to be a MB-warranty because I've yet to find a company to offer extended warranties for 65-AMGs other than MB.

I'm going to do some phone research tomorrow to clear this up.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
Thanks FloridaE55. It would sure be nice to know what is the definite story on who is eligible (and who is NOT eligible) to purchase a MB Extended Warranty! Looking forward to your follow up report. Z356
Old 11-27-2008, 04:05 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by Z356
FloridaE55 - Re: your recent statement "Remember, as long as the car is covered under the original warranty, you can extend it to 100K miles (including additional years, of course)." I want to clarify this statement for all of our forum readers. My understanding is that you can only get a MB Extended Warrany (up to 3 additional years and 100K additional miles, whichever comes first) if you are the original owner of the vehicle in question. Otherwise, you can't. The only other way to get a MB Extended Warranty (and this might not be as long in terms of years although it might cover as many miles) is to buy a pre-owned Mercedes that has been Certified by a MB dealer. You will note that most of these are written in a way that only give you ONE additional year of coverage from the 4 year factory warranty period that is standard in US.
You are probably right that you can only get an extension of the OEM warranty if you are the original owner. I did some research on this board and found evidence for that. However, when buying a CPO-vehicle, your warranty is NOT limited to one year. This warranty can be extended by two additional years, so up to 3 years/100K miles beginning with the elapse of the original 4 year/50K mile warranty. I found evidence for that as well.

So when you're shopping for a used S63/65 and it's CPOed, you shouldn't have any problems when it comes to warranty. If you find the car of your choice offered by a MB-dealership that is NOT CPOed, you MIGHT be able to have it CPOed based on the car's history and records. If so, you get the warranty-advantages as mentioned above.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:40 AM

03 MERCEDES BENZ S55 Amg
s63

its very hard to get extended warranty for an amg car than a regular mb so when it do make my purchase i would look for one with extended warranty from mb or one with 100k miles warranty from the orignal owner.