S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Rookie Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 AMG
Rookie Questions

Hi, I'm glad I found your forum, I've spent two days reading posts and greatly appreciate the comments left on this forum. I recently bought a 2004 S55 with an installed RennTech "package 3" (CPU, pulley, headers). I live in Idaho, I noticed upon start-up when the car has sat out for long periods of time in the cold (8-10 hours) that it shows white smoke on start up, from what you all know about these cars, is this normal? Also, how happy are you all with the factory paint job on your cars? My car is black, and shows all of the inperfections......thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:18 AM

2004 S55 AMG
Anybody?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by ToddKet
Hi, I'm glad I found your forum, I've spent two days reading posts and greatly appreciate the comments left on this forum. I recently bought a 2004 S55 with an installed RennTech "package 3" (CPU, pulley, headers). I live in Idaho, I noticed upon start-up when the car has sat out for long periods of time in the cold (8-10 hours) that it shows white smoke on start up, from what you all know about these cars, is this normal? Also, how happy are you all with the factory paint job on your cars? My car is black, and shows all of the inperfections......thanks!
The white smoke at startup is fairly normal. I have had 4 55's and all of them did that. As far as the black car showing imperfections---Remember "Black is not a color it's a part time job". I presently have one black car and several others that are not black. As far as the looks of a black car when it is newly detailed you cannot beat it but 5 miles down the road the new detail goes away. You do have to work at it.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:54 PM

2007 ML63 ///AMG
Originally Posted by lkirchner
"Black is not a color it's a part time job"

FTW
Old 02-05-2009, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Per above

especially this time of year condensate fume,normal
Black benz.You will need to restore the clear coat and it is a time consuming job,but easy.Wash the car with dawn dish detergent(this is only for the restoration,other normal times use a good car shampoo.
Clay the car,wash again,get menzerna intensive polish ,final polish,glaze,FMJ sealant,and a can of quality caranuba wax.Follow the directions on each in that order and the car will look show car.
www.properautocare.com and detailed image carry menzerna.
http://www.properautocare.com/mengerbespol.html
black car will keep mirror shine for months if you use the guide and FMJ and 2 coats of caranuba to finish off the look.
First time detailing get the porter cable or if you practice on a piece of crap car,hone your rotary buffer skills for the best shine.Newbie on rotary not recommended without practice first.
Nice amateur rotary buffers are on sale at harborfreight tools 7" electric adjustable speed unit(keep it below 4)and keep moving.
Follow the rotary tutorial on propercare.

enjoy the car.