S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

ABC Active Body Control Recall fix causes all hell to break loose!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S55 AMG
ABC Active Body Control Recall fix causes all hell to break loose!!!!!

I went to the dealer for a factory recall for the ABC high pressure hose replacement. A few days after, the ABC Drive Carefully light came on the screen in bright red. After bringing the car back to the dealer, they said the the new "higher pressure" hose caused the system to start leaking at all the weak points". I've had this car for a while and right when they install this hose, it starts leaking like crazy. Now they are telling me that 2 hoses are leaking. One in the front driver side and one up in the center of the bottom of the engine. They said that 2nd hose alone will cost $4k to fix because they need to drop the tranny to get to it. Has this ever happened to anyone? I wasn't warned that this would be a consequence of getting this new replacement installed. I wish I never let them touch it. They also told me that I could call MBUSA and file a complaint. Will this work? I know its worth a try but has anyone ever tried this? Does anyone have any ideas or advice? Much appreciated!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Sh¡t like this tends to happen. When you replace parts in an aging pressurized system (like ABC) chances are the next weak point (or mirrored part) will blow on short notice. I don't know what is worst, this line leaking, or the replaced part blowing, but that's not helping you right now.

I think all parties will agree that this malfunction is caused (or at least initiated now) by the recall action. The question remains who will pick up the tab for this repair. I'm no lawyer, but it seems fair to me that MBUSA chips in on this repair. I hope they agree...
Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 PM

2003 S55 AMG
Yep. I am going to give them a call and see if they can take some responsibility for this. I'll post results when I get an answer.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
My understanding of the recall is it replaces a hose with one less prone to break. It doens't increase system pressure.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by whoover
My understanding of the recall is it replaces a hose with one less prone to break. It doens't increase system pressure.
Not directly, but a stiffer line replacing a more flexible line (thus making pressure tolerances smaller) could strain other parts with pressure bursts.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
That's ****ing horrible.

It is my firm belief that Mercedes should place a recall on ALL THE ****ING COMPONENTS OF ABC! It's a disaster waiting to happen - you are cruising at 80MPH and one of the lines to the strut blows, and your car collapses to the ground on the strut.. what's going to happen? NOTHING GOOD!

You are driving and one of the lines next to the catalytic converters/exhaust blows, catches fire, and your whole car starts burning.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I've done a few repairs on my car in regards to ABC. I don't remember there being any hoses that required dropping the tranny. There are no hoses there that would require the tranny to be dropped.

The hose that goes from the pump to the distribution block is under the engine, but you just need to loosen up the engine mounts and lift the engine to gain access to that line.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by sprins
Not directly, but a stiffer line replacing a more flexible line (thus making pressure tolerances smaller) could strain other parts with pressure bursts.
That sounds like an explanation in search of a home. The high pressure side of ABC is around 3,000 psi. Flex in a hose isn't going to reduce that meaningfully unless the hose flexes enough to burst.

I'd like to see MB put in writing that this was the chain of events that caused the failure. Any engineer will be able to make lunch meat of that claim.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
100% agreement with whoover... Even if the flexible hoses expand and reduce pressure, the ABC sensor will counteract the pressure drop by opening up the suction restrictor valve on the pump and increase the pressure. Makes no sense, they are making a fool of you.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I smell fish here.. when was the last time you looked under your car at the ABC components?

I am going to bet that those other hoses have been leaking for some time now and when they replaced the hose, the tech either did not fill the system with enough fluid or something else was done incorrectly.

When you brought it back with the ABC warning message, did they explain to you what the actual cause was? What triggered the message? Pressure drop? Have you checked the fluid level in your ABC reservoir?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by Oxygen
100% agreement with whoover...
Let's hope so and have this guys repair refunded. I'd advise him to jump into the MBUSA/dealer tackle with a stretched leg anyways.

I do agree the ABC is somewhat of a disaster. The first 75K miles should work fine if you're lucky, but if a hose or pump blows later it sprays oil all over the wheels, brakes, hot parts and slamming to the ground killing the handling. Not really healthy @ 150MPH...
Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
I paid 1500 dollars to replace the ABC hoses under my S600, on the way home
I noticed a strange noise. When I took it back they said the extra pressure
had blown the ABC pump, another 1500 dollars!!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:10 PM

2003 S55 AMG
Did you do this work at the dealer?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, MB dealer.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by sound 8
I paid 1500 dollars to replace the ABC hoses under my S600, on the way home
I noticed a strange noise. When I took it back they said the extra pressure
had blown the ABC pump, another 1500 dollars!!
Which hoses were replaced? What was the strange sound?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:24 PM

2003 S55 AMG
I smell fish here.. when was the last time you looked under your car at the ABC components?

I am going to bet that those other hoses have been leaking for some time now and when they replaced the hose, the tech either did not fill the system with enough fluid or something else was done incorrectly.

When you brought it back with the ABC warning message, did they explain to you what the actual cause was? What triggered the message? Pressure drop? Have you checked the fluid level in your ABC reservoir?
They did not say if it was a pressure drop but before all this, my garage floor was bone dry. Apparently, those hoses started leaking only after the new hose was installed. Then the ABC warning lights came on. I checked the reservoir and it looked like it was still pretty full.

By the way, I got a call from MBUSA and they said that they would NOT be offering any financial assistant on this claim. Big freakin surprise!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Which hoses were replaced? What was the strange sound?
I beleive it was the hose that ran under the engine to the back.
The sound was a low hum,or whine!
Old 04-16-2009, 12:33 PM

2003 S55 AMG
I spoke with another person today at MBUSA. She told me that she is trying to get hold of regional to try to get this repair done without me having to pay for it. Seems that this case manager believes that I don't deserve to have to pay for this repair. Theres still hope!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have checked my bill, MB contributed to half the cost of the ABC pump.
I think these go a lot!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
I stumbled across this old thread while researching ABC issues. I am a piping engineer, i design and engineer systems from atmospheric pressure all the way to 20,000 psi systems (incl. hydraulic systems). The pump works at a specific pressure. To change a hose or fitting does not change that fact and CAN NOT create a higher pressure condition period. Even if the older hose was expanding due to weakness, this would only cause the pump to try to operate within its design curve and adjust the pressure to compensate for this miniscle variation. When a pump is sized, the volume of the system is NEVER a considerstion - the pump doesnt care. if the pump is designed for 2000psi, it will run at 2000 whether it moves 5 gallons or 10000 gallons thru a system. the "expanded old hose versus the newer nonexpanded hose" theory would only change the volume, and again that has no bearing on the pump performance. (truly negligible and discussed only for argument sake). The new hose would no longer expand and the pump would readjust to design pressure again. this scenerio would not cause a weakness in the rest of the systems. These systems are not exact and a +/- 5 % fluctuation in pressures would be a normal operating condition and to add the tiny variation of the tiny extra volume of the newer less expansive hose is a joke and lacks technical reason And for those who will attempt to argue, put the numbers up, and i will do the same. This crap is an MB ripoff. It is so typical of repair shops (not MB specific) to apply such "lack" of reasoning to the unsuspecting customer.

Originally Posted by KleemanML
I went to the dealer for a factory recall for the ABC high pressure hose replacement. A few days after, the ABC Drive Carefully light came on the screen in bright red. After bringing the car back to the dealer, they said the the new "higher pressure" hose caused the system to start leaking at all the weak points". I've had this car for a while and right when they install this hose, it starts leaking like crazy. Now they are telling me that 2 hoses are leaking. One in the front driver side and one up in the center of the bottom of the engine. They said that 2nd hose alone will cost $4k to fix because they need to drop the tranny to get to it. Has this ever happened to anyone? I wasn't warned that this would be a consequence of getting this new replacement installed. I wish I never let them touch it. They also told me that I could call MBUSA and file a complaint. Will this work? I know its worth a try but has anyone ever tried this? Does anyone have any ideas or advice? Much appreciated!

Last edited by kafklatsch; 09-07-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:39 AM

2002 S600
jrawles87

I have a 02' S600 which the ABC pump is making that humming/whinning noise. I took it to a couple of authorized MB mechanics. They all say that the pump is bad. I've had it put on the machine twice. The ABC pump still comes up bad. To fix the pump one is charging 1300 and the other is charging 1800 and the last said he won't even put his head under that 600 for 1800. Neither one said anything about a leak. Then I took it to the MB dealship for confirmation. They tell me that I have two bad hoses leaking fluid, one runs the length of the car over the tranny, which has to be dropped to be replaced. The leaking hoses cauesd the ABC pump to go bad. In all they want $4950.00 to do the job. My 1st question was how much is the parts. 1800 for the pump, 350 for 1 hose, and 175 for the other. That's when I lost it. you mean your charging 2600 in labor, more than the parts cost. You must be on crack. That's when I did my research and found the recall in the S600 leaking hose which after the run around with MBUSA said the recall was done on my car in Jan of 07' and their not doing it again. I thought recalls have to be fixed I don't care how many times it goes wrong. So that's my situation. MB is giving me the run around and bottom line is if I want it fixe, alot of money will be paid out.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
mercedes hydraulic suspensions are always problematic when they get old, many owners of older W126's like mine replace the hydraulic system with regular shocks after being tired of expensive repairs. I don't think this option exists for the newer cars but it makes the prospect of owning one without a warranty a big gamble. I am saving up for an 06 S65, the prospect of having to spend $5000 for an ABC repair scares me. MB needs to stand behind their design and fix the flaws.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
Damn so many complaint about abc system going bad...

wonder what's gonna fail next on my car..
Old 09-18-2009, 04:47 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408
Damn so many complaint about abc system going bad...

wonder what's gonna fail next on my car..
Viet,

Did you ever repair your ABC yourself? I beleive you were going to try?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
Originally Posted by Zachmac
Viet,

Did you ever repair your ABC yourself? I beleive you were going to try?

yeah i did....and i learn alot of things along..

i replaced accumulator fail cause a block/droan noise in the system..

now, i think one of my pressure sensor fail. i keep getting white abc light every now and then..

damn it...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ABC Active Body Control Recall fix causes all hell to break loose!!!!!