S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Engine clicking/tapping sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Engine clicking/tapping sound

I noticed a pretty loud clicking/tapping sound from the main engine area today when I was pulling out of my garage.

I haven't driven the car in 10 days - though not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any ideas?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are not alot of things that cause a clicking/tapping sound

one thing may be the engine vacuum system which is a slight clicking just letting in air and it make a clicking sound which can be felt if you touch the unit which makes the sound

another explantion is not getting an oil change and the camshafts start making a clicking noise due to poor lubrication which happens when an oil change is wayyyyyy overdue, hope this helps
Old 07-14-2009, 12:10 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by ekogutpl
there are not alot of things that cause a clicking/tapping sound

one thing may be the engine vacuum system which is a slight clicking just letting in air and it make a clicking sound which can be felt if you touch the unit which makes the sound

another explantion is not getting an oil change and the camshafts start making a clicking noise due to poor lubrication which happens when an oil change is wayyyyyy overdue, hope this helps
Thanks for the response.....

Well, the car has only 2000 miles on it even though it's almost 11 months old! I guess I've hardly driven it.....

The odd thing is that I drove it 10 days ago and didn't notice the tapping/knocking sound. Could be that I didn't have the windows rolled down but today (10 days after I last drove it) I had the windows down and heard the sound....

A few other things to note: it's been hot here for the last month - almost 40+ days of 107+ degree heat!! Also, have not taken it for any sort of service since I bought it.... is that okay? I suppose it's not due for an oil change either..
Old 07-14-2009, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1988 535i 5 speed
This is a common problem with the 63s, noisy valvetrain because the top end doesn't get a lot of oil. I would take it in and see what they say, it's a known issue. So far not much seems to have been done about it though.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:52 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by BenzBoy12
This is a common problem with the 63s, noisy valvetrain because the top end doesn't get a lot of oil. I would take it in and see what they say, it's a known issue. So far not much seems to have been done about it though.
It's kind 'a odd that this is the first time in almost 11 months that I've heard this.

I guess that tapping sound has always been in the background but today it was extra loud and it continued for a while.

I'm kind of bummed out. The car is brand spanking new. As I said - only about 2000 miles....