S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Motor mounts broke, oh man stopped me right away!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Motor mounts broke, oh man stopped me right away!

I'd like to share this experience so that if people get similar symptoms, they can know what it is.

So the other day I was driving (2001 S55 AMG, around 100k miles) and when I floored it from a standstill, I heard this really odd clunk in the front of the car. The engine even sounded different. So I inspected under the hood..one of the air intake tubes had come loose. I thought that might of been it, so I put the tube back, and went back to driving.

Alright...it kept doing it. And finally, after a bit, there was a really big vibration, big clunk sound, and the car's brakes were shot. (From a light..so I was safe, and just put it in park.)

The car would vibrate a great deal, and the brakes were completely stiff.

So...what was it? Well the motor mounts had broken. This caused the power brake hose to snap off. I know the motor and transmission mounts go on these cars - they were still original after over 100k+ miles.

So, put in new motor +transmission mounts, and new brake hose..car is as good as new. They just needed to be replaced. It was definitely scary and a bit expensive though. It felt like a misfire with the engine shaking, but it was actually just the engine being on the broken mounts.

I hope this helps someone diagnose a problem! If you hear a clunk from the engine compartment from a stop and acceleration, it could be the motor mounts. It would not make any noise even if I floored it at higher 30mph+ speeds, just slow speeds.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' GL550, 05' S55 (sold), 04' Yukon Denali XL, 05' 745il (sold), 01' 740il (sold)
Originally Posted by rondocap
I'd like to share this experience so that if people get similar symptoms, they can know what it is.

So the other day I was driving (2001 S55 AMG, around 100k miles) and when I floored it from a standstill, I heard this really odd clunk in the front of the car. The engine even sounded different. So I inspected under the hood..one of the air intake tubes had come loose. I thought that might of been it, so I put the tube back, and went back to driving.

Alright...it kept doing it. And finally, after a bit, there was a really big vibration, big clunk sound, and the car's brakes were shot. (From a light..so I was safe, and just put it in park.)

The car would vibrate a great deal, and the brakes were completely stiff.

So...what was it? Well the motor mounts had broken. This caused the power brake hose to snap off. I know the motor and transmission mounts go on these cars - they were still original after over 100k+ miles.

So, put in new motor +transmission mounts, and new brake hose..car is as good as new. They just needed to be replaced. It was definitely scary and a bit expensive though. It felt like a misfire with the engine shaking, but it was actually just the engine being on the broken mounts.

I hope this helps someone diagnose a problem! If you hear a clunk from the engine compartment from a stop and acceleration, it could be the motor mounts. It would not make any noise even if I floored it at higher 30mph+ speeds, just slow speeds.

My S55 has been vibrating at certain speeds and at idle, the car would shudder now and then as if wanting to stall. I took it to the dealer and they said i lost 2 engine mounts and 2 transmission mount. LOST , they apparently collapsed and pieces fell off. They replace all of them and the car feels like new, who knows mounts plays such a significant role on theses cars. Minor things is what gets you because we always overlook it.