S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Front tires inside worn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Front tires inside worn

hi guys,
2 times in a row my front tires are new on middle/outside, but the inside is nearly bald after 5k miles.
what's tough is that since i bought tires from tirerack and had local place install it, they will not be happy about taking responsibility for uneven tire wear.
p.s. i've had the rodeo alignment done at MB dealer previously also, but still having tough time getting even wear. would appreciate everyone's input.
Patrick
Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
Rodeo isnt a alingment... do you mean 4 wheel alignment. These cars do have more negitive camber than others so they will wear the inside faster but you should get more than 5k out of tires.. If you got a alingment do you still have the print out they gave you.. Post it up here we can see whats going on from that.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:50 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by hcetzneb
Rodeo isnt a alingment... do you mean 4 wheel alignment. These cars do have more negitive camber than others so they will wear the inside faster but you should get more than 5k out of tires.. If you got a alingment do you still have the print out they gave you.. Post it up here we can see whats going on from that.
Hey,
I had this same problem not to long ago. It ended up being my front wheel bearings were lose. The only reason I figured it out was because my car failed the state inspection for it. It was an easy fix just remove the wheels and the center dust cap carefully and tighten the bearings up a bit. Hope this helps.
Johan
Old 06-09-2010, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thx John for input.
I went back to the alignment place today and got 2 print-outs: one for last time, and one for today. Both are in spec, and he said everything looked okay, from the suspension to the frame. He reco'd that I go to the dealer. My bad as I forgot to ask him about the front bearings - will ck w/ local guy on that.
P.S. In case anyone's curious, here are the two page I got. Would appreciate anyone's input.
Patrick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S55 before.pdf (184.6 KB, 277 views)
File Type: pdf
S55 after re-check.pdf (217.1 KB, 249 views)
Old 06-19-2010, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi all,
Just got S55 back from MB dealer - paid $300 for full alignment, and the addition of 2 bolts. Apparently, it's imperative that a LOAD BAR be used prior to setting the alignment. Otherwise, the computer will show proper spec, but once it's on the road it will toe out. HOW DID THE OTHER SHOP NOT KNOW THIS? UGH!!! It still doesn't drive perfectly, but I'm thinking it could be due to the tires being a bit worn on inside already. Bottom line, I really won't know if this $300 solution works until I see how much longer these front tires last...OR after I buy another new set of front tires and see if it wears evenly. Main lesson: stick with dealer when in doubt.
Patrick