S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Speeding Tickets and AMG Cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Formerly W215 CL600
The last ticket I got was less than a year ago. It was night and I was speeding ( about 80mph) a car came up from behind me and started tailgating me. I floored it to get out of his way. I left the car in the dust. It was an officer. He finally turned his lights on and I pulled over, he came up to me with his gun pointed at me, yelling for me to get out of the car. He pulled both of us out and threatened to take us to jail. I was pretty scared. He gave me a ticket for 115mpg in a 65mph zone.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Austinite
The last ticket I got was less than a year ago. It was night and I was speeding ( about 80mph) a car came up from behind me and started tailgating me. I floored it to get out of his way. I left the car in the dust. It was an officer. He finally turned his lights on and I pulled over, he came up to me with his gun pointed at me, yelling for me to get out of the car. He pulled both of us out and threatened to take us to jail. I was pretty scared. He gave me a ticket for 115mpg in a 65mph zone.

Wow austinite, that sounds scary. He probably thought you were running away or something ha. Must have made you scared to see the gun pointed at you.

But 115mpg in a 65mph zone? What were you in a Prius? hahah just kidding

Last edited by rondocap; 09-16-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: a
Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
I average a ticket every one to two years... My luckiest one is when I passed a hole slew of traffic on a long straight stretch. As soon as I passed everyone, I slowed down as I crested the top of a hill. I got nailed for an 83 in a 45. Good thing he wasn't sitting a few more feet forward and actually been looking down the hill, I would have gotten nailed for at least 135! I averaged about the same with any of the other vehicles I own. My wife has never gotten a ticket and speeds all the time... even in my car...
Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by rondocap
Wow austinite, that sounds scary. He probably thought you were running away or something ha. Must have made you scared to see the gun pointed at you.

But 115mpg in a 65mph zone? What were you in a Prius? hahah just kidding
I had a VERY similar thing happen to me a few years back while I was living in the DC area. I didn't have an AMG at the time though... I think I posted about it a while ago in a similar thread in the W211 AMG thread...
Old 09-29-2010, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by Austinite
was the patrol car unmarked?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 GTO, adding Kompressor soon ??!!!
I run into a State Trooper at parties a couple of times a year and we always talk cars. He knew right away whar an S65 is. My theory-all cops are gearheads. Be pleasant and admit hauling *** !
Old 10-17-2010, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 51 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Ironic since just yesterday I took a day trip to see some friends and, after a stretch where I touched the 155 mph speed limiter in my E63, his wife asked me if my car was a Mercedes AMG. I confirmed proudly that it is. She laughed and called her husband, my brother, and I, over to her kitchen table. Why? To read the online article that ranked the Mercedes AMG cars with male drivers as the combination in the United States most likely to get speeding tickets. LOL!! The timing was perfect considering what I had been doing on the way there.

My thoughts are that since the AMG cars are so quiet, comfortable, powerful, and stable at speeds in the upper end, that it is much easier to find yourself breaking the speed laws of this country. Oh well.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 PM

2004 S55 ///AMG, 2007 E350
Originally Posted by SPDMETL
I run into a State Trooper at parties a couple of times a year and we always talk cars. He knew right away whar an S65 is. My theory-all cops are gearheads. Be pleasant and admit hauling *** !
I think that is part of their job and training to know some basic stuff about all cars. With even a quick glance of a suspect, they need to accurately report make, model, year, color, etc. They would be useless in their job if they couldn't tell an MB from Audi, an S class from E class, etc.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 PM

06 cls 500 98 tahoe 93 buick
Last Saturday on the way to a Carshow I was speeding doing at least 120 until I've noticed I was approaching a unmarked car. I was a exit away from my destination slowed down and switched from the fast lane to slow lane. Wrong decision I gave him the opportunity to catch up with me and indeed he did. I told him I was rushing to make Carshow registration he replied well you sure were. Clocked at 82 in 55 (glad wasn't 100+) and $295 ticket. I have no speeding record so I will take this to court.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
I have been in my AMG's since 2003 - with just one ticket cresting a hill/bridge in the Houston metro. This was a speed trap setup with lazer and a half dozen cops. No way was it amg related. My 06 s55 sees triples regularly though rarely above 1....ummmm... Never mind. The utter ease is still exhilarating, however, I have not experienced "amg ticketing"

Originally Posted by Corsa9000
I am curious as to the correlation between speeding tickets and AMG cars. Given that it is not hard to rocket these cars to triple digit speeds in a few seconds.

Do you find it that you are getting more, less or same number of citations for speeding in your AMG cars vs. other cars?

In my case, on average I get a speeding ticket every 2.5 years, always on a clear, sunny day with moderate traffic on highways. My last one was in July 2010, no radar, no laser, no pacing, California Highway Patrol (CHP) officer just assumed I was speeding because I passed a few cars, I felt like the AMG logo on the car instigated it.

Interested in your comments on this topic.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 PM

2 S 55 AMG
Hello all, I'm new to this site. That being said....as I was going through the threads i came across this one and I just wanted to share my story. All my main cars were s55 and haven't gotten a speeding ticket in about 10 years now (knock on wood)....you're probably thinking I don't speed much. Here's an example...about 2 years ago I went from NYC to FL in 12 1/2 hrs, this is usually a 20 hrs decent driving. I was stuck in traffic (standstill) for 1/2 hrs due to road constructions but still made the trip in 12 1/2 hrs. My avg speed throughout the trip was somewhere between 130-155mph. I had no radar or jamming device either. On my way back I decided to just cruize and guess what? I got pulled over for speeding. Wasn't passing anyone or speeding and still got pulled over. Fortunately for me he was a nice cop and let me go with a warning. So to respond to the original post...I don't think they go after AMG's.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S 65
Tickets

I saw on TV yesterday that the Mercedes SL is four times more likely to be ticketed for speeding than any other vehicle.

Red sports cars, of any kind, are twice the average.

Guess this means don't buy a red SL?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 PM

2005 s55
Speeding is fun and in no way directed to AMG'S. I have been speeding since 1989 and received 3 speeding tickets. The speeding was engaged in cars that include fords Chevys mb Porsche and other miscellaneous vehicles. Have fun doing it and get a lawyer.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by lkirchner
I disagree that law enforcement doesn't know the difference between the AMG's and non AMG's. Let me give you a very recent incident. I was driving my SL55 on a surface street and was behind a slow moving car in the center lane of a 4 lane street. The logical thing to do was pass him on the right. As soon as I passed him I saw a motorcycle officer parked in the bicycle lane and shortly thereafter I saw the red flashing light. Sure enough he pulled me over and informed me that I was going 55 in a35 mile an hour zone. He also said that many people would love to to have "this car with the top down and the hand built engine". Obviously he knew AMG cars. He then walked around the car and asked me if I was aware that my car did not have a front license plate. I replied that I just could not see myself drilling holes in the front bumper. He responded by saying "Neither would I". He then gave me a scolding for speeding but did not give me a ticket. So the moral of the story is they don't all have hard on's for AMG cars and some appear to have a soft spot for them!!!
I have found that cops are non-discriminating. Maybe its just the high line thing that they go after.

I did get an enthusiast cop a few months back while in the Stradale. He got me going through a great sweeper at 20+ over. After he figured out that I didn't have any warrants, his first comment was, "Isn't this the race version of the 360?" We ended up talking cars for 15 minutes, and he let me go. He did tell me that he liked my line through the corner!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S 65
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
I have found that cops are non-discriminating. Maybe its just the high line thing that they go after.

I did get an enthusiast cop a few months back while in the Stradale. He got me going through a great sweeper at 20+ over. After he figured out that I didn't have any warrants, his first comment was, "Isn't this the race version of the 360?" We ended up talking cars for 15 minutes, and he let me go. He did tell me that he liked my line through the corner!

Wow! Wish I was that lucky. They just give me tickets, and I'm always polite. With the yes sirs, and no sirs, etc.