S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Opinions on SL55 AMG 2003

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS460 Daily Driver
Opinions on SL55 AMG 2003

First, let me say its great to finally find a very active MB Forum. I cant believe all the slow MB forums out there. One of the admins from corvetteforum.com (where is spend all my time on) referred me to this one and I saw a good active AMG section which was great to find

I am a huge car enthusiast and pretty much can appreciate all flavors. I have probably owned 30 cars. My favorite DD is a Lexus because of its reliability and peace and quiet. I am on my 3rd model (09 LS460) as a DD. I have had 4 corvettes for my fun rides. My latest I bought new in 1999 and 3 years later I did a stage II Lingenfelter twin Turbo Package and she is a friggin blast especially on roadcourses wheer I can get that bad girl up into the 150's mph range on a roadcourse!

On the german side, I have never been a BIMMER fan. I do like the M3's for performance but Bimmer interiors are still vanilla and boring. Audi's are too underpowered, Mercs are probably the best of the bunch, especially because their interiors have changed with the times unlike the Bimmers. But I will say that I always told myself that if I did get a MERC it would have to be an AMG and I wouldnt settle for less. That's my problem, I always want the best or nothing at all

OK, cutting to the chase (sorry), the The New AMG pricing IMO is crazy. So I have had my eye on an 03 SL55. I have seen a couple with 42K miles for around $36K although the TMV on the car is around $32K. Considering this was a $118K car, that boggles my mind but My concern is 03 was a first year for this car and to be honest, i have heard some nightmare stories with some mercs. I also wouldnt buy the car without a good MBI (Mech Breakdown Insurance as they use to call it) policy because of repair costs which sux because I am being quoted around $4K for an exclusionary MBI Contract (3 years/36K) and this car will just be another toy (I will probably put no more than 3-4K miles a year on her)

So what can you advise on this particular year for the SL55? I know about its perf but what about 1st year gremlins? Is it worth considering? I am more of a Turbo guy than an SC so I would actually prefer a 2005 SL65 AMG which actually I have seen great prices on. 2 modles were 18K and 20K miles and for only $68k. But as a 3rd car the $68K tag is just too steep

Your thoughts?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
36k for an 8 year old car with 42,000miles is too much imo...I'd spend more and get a newer 65, you should be able to negotiate one of the 05s for somewhere in the mid to high $50s...check service history is full, mb, and get a warranty whatever you decide

-Rob
Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 PM
JR.

fast cars and faster motorcycles ..

we love AMG's in our family. the ONLY way to go.

early SL55's are fine. just find one that has been properly maintained

55 and 65 motors are both great but different..

drive them both and then you will know..

Old 09-16-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
just have money and go test drive see what you like..buy it if you like..end of story..no point asking ..do your research...

BTW...THIS IS NOT SL SECTION.. ITS S-CLASS SECTION..
Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 PM

LS460 Daily Driver
Originally Posted by transferred
36k for an 8 year old car with 42,000miles is too much imo...I'd spend more and get a newer 65, you should be able to negotiate one of the 05s for somewhere in the mid to high $50s...check service history is full, mb, and get a warranty whatever you decide

-Rob
I actually agree with your logic in terms of better value on a newer SL65, assuming I can get a high 50's price. But even at that price, this will be my 3rd car and its tough to justify. If I was selling my vette and replacing it with anoher Twin turbo replacement then maybe but no way will I sell the vette. She is just too much fun, has been modded for roadcourses and she is still quite a streetable car too. (below are a couple of pics of her.) I could probably get the SL55 I test drove down to $35K but I am also very patient so I may wait until I get more info from forums like this one

Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM

LS460 Daily Driver
Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408
just have money and go test drive see what you like..buy it if you like..end of story..no point asking ..do your research...

BTW...THIS IS NOT SL SECTION.. ITS S-CLASS SECTION..
oh shoot, you are right. Sorry. Maybe I can get a forum mod to move the thread to the SL AMG Section.