S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

I think I am done with it all!!! I think.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S65
I think I am done with it all!!! I think.

So I have been a long time fan of the Merc. CLK cab to the S55 now the S65. Always impressed with the performance and service I have gotten. But now I sit in my car look at the over 100k drop in price and wonder. I sit and wonder why I pay over 5000.00 for a brake job. Yes I have shopped at non dealer but not much lower price. Damn the car is beautiful, dont get me wrong. And if your wondering...Yes I can afford the service and yes I knew the costs before I got into the Mercs. But just because you can spend it, why? I just got 4 rental units in Vegas with tennants and its paid off with all positive cash flow for the price of my next upgrade. I am sorry if I sound sour grapes with Mercedes but I cant help but drive the other cars in my stable now and get angry at the S65 in the garage. I live in San Diego by the beach and just cant help but wonder if these cars are worth it? Does anyone remember when the new Hummvie (the middle size one) came out? I went to look at it and the dealer wouldnt even let me test drive it and you had to pay up front to get a shot at one. Now they cant give that crap away. I feel like the Merces are going down like that but in a slower way. I am sure some one will get angry and yell at me but I am just not feeling it for the quality and craftmanship we are getting from Mercedes. What do you guys think? Thanks for listening.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts
SL55, S500
What are the other cars in your stable?
Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
hey lol i drive my klassey S when i feel like it... and drive a geo metro 97 hatchback when i feel like it, lol all depends on your taste man, i hope the next car is at least euro!!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
The S65 is an extreme case, in terms of prices going down and maintenance, though. New it is around 200k with taxes and options, if not more - and there are 2006 S65's going for as low as in the 30k's ranges these days. That's a big dip, other 200k cars do not go down nearly that fast. As for the maintenance, it does have bigger and more expensive brakes to stop the greater power.

But most of the AMG's take a big dip in prices, not only the S65. I guess the market does that to the used AMG's - be it because of end of warranty and fear of maintenance, or whatever it may be.

Any car like the S65 is a question of how much you actually enjoy driving vs the cost you are willing to pay for it. If you just want a comfortable big Mercedes, an S430 or S550 are more than adequate. But for performance, you really do have to pay a bit more to play.

What other 5 seater luxury car is as fast as the S65 that is equal in size? Not even Bentley - so it is definitely a unique car.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML350 1987 Buick GN 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2006 Mercedes S65
Originally Posted by sandiego1
So I have been a long time fan of the Merc. CLK cab to the S55 now the S65. Always impressed with the performance and service I have gotten. But now I sit in my car look at the over 100k drop in price and wonder. I sit and wonder why I pay over 5000.00 for a brake job. Yes I have shopped at non dealer but not much lower price. Damn the car is beautiful, dont get me wrong. And if your wondering...Yes I can afford the service and yes I knew the costs before I got into the Mercs. But just because you can spend it, why? I just got 4 rental units in Vegas with tennants and its paid off with all positive cash flow for the price of my next upgrade. I am sorry if I sound sour grapes with Mercedes but I cant help but drive the other cars in my stable now and get angry at the S65 in the garage. I live in San Diego by the beach and just cant help but wonder if these cars are worth it? Does anyone remember when the new Hummvie (the middle size one) came out? I went to look at it and the dealer wouldnt even let me test drive it and you had to pay up front to get a shot at one. Now they cant give that crap away. I feel like the Merces are going down like that but in a slower way. I am sure some one will get angry and yell at me but I am just not feeling it for the quality and craftmanship we are getting from Mercedes. What do you guys think? Thanks for listening.
Just an FYI, any car you buy will always go down in value.... until it becomes a classic. But that will be a while. Where in San Diego are you? I dont see too many S65's but next time you need something let me know. I worked at MB of SD off of Balboa (163) and I can get you discount prices from the dealership and I do all the work myself. I was a MB Master Certified Tech while I worked there. I now work on Base as an In-Service Engineer but I still do side jobs from time-time. Let me know!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
This is why I dont buy any Brand New cars. CPO is the way to go. I dont worry about depreciation value on anything from a Mercedes to a Maserati because they all loose value. Its life.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Look at it this way....how many times are you spending that $5k on a brake job? I bet it isn't a bi-annual expense. You have purchased a car with supercar performance in a big, classy, sedan platform. You would be looking at a much more expensive brake job on a Murci, most Ferraris and disgustingly close to that on a Cayenne Turbo S. If you factor in overall annual maintenance for the 4-5 year period you've owned the car, then I think you will be surprised how affordable the S65 is to drive when you compare it to a V12 Ferrari, Lambo, or any other exotic, high performance car for that matter. As for depreciation rates, and your disgust with that, look at how much you can pick up a 2005-6 Murci or 575M for compared to what they cost initially for the poor sap that bought them. They depreciated close to the same.

Nick
Old 10-20-2010, 02:26 AM

2010 Lexus IS250
Originally Posted by nick 55
Look at it this way....how many times are you spending that $5k on a brake job? I bet it isn't a bi-annual expense. You have purchased a car with supercar performance in a big, classy, sedan platform. You would be looking at a much more expensive brake job on a Murci, most Ferraris and disgustingly close to that on a Cayenne Turbo S. If you factor in overall annual maintenance for the 4-5 year period you've owned the car, then I think you will be surprised how affordable the S65 is to drive when you compare it to a V12 Ferrari, Lambo, or any other exotic, high performance car for that matter. As for depreciation rates, and your disgust with that, look at how much you can pick up a 2005-6 Murci or 575M for compared to what they cost initially for the poor sap that bought them. They depreciated close to the same.

Nick
A Murci is not a good example right now, its being discontinued so no one will want the old model for years to come now.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
So is his 06 S65. That's why I picked those models, all have been replaced by new models or are being replaced soon.

Nick
Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM

2003 S600, 1988 RX-7 single turbo vert, 1998 BMW 740IL
Old saying "HP cost money, how fast do you want to go" All in all yes s65's seem to loose 100k in 3 years but it cost to be the boss. If you want to be the first to drive the new flag ship its going to cost you. I actually think right now a 35k s65 or cl65 is the best buy on the entire market. I put those 2 cars up against anything out there in that 35k range. And with the aftermarket warrantees you can get these days...total no brainer.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:57 PM

2006 S65
thanks for the replies all of you. I guess I am just sick of the beating we take with any nice car. But it seems clear that Mercedes does not want to go along with the rest of the world in bringing down prices or bringing up quality. Its also tough to swallow that BMW and Jag are offering all service included. There was talk of it from mercedes for a while. Mercedes has to get with the times. Its not just the money issue, its the fact that Mercedes thinks they should be able to ask for the dollars and not provide the service. Just my feelings but...I dont ever think that a car should go up in value except a very select few. I own first place winner for all of North America factory restored 55 Chevy Bel Air Convertible with all options. Now that is a fun car. It still makes me laugh when i was looking for a 1955 tube for the stock radio and i found a guy that had some thing like 87 of them and he sold me 10 for 18.00
Well, thats my crying complaint. And to the guy who works on Merces on the side i will contact you. I live in North County Coastal area. I used to deal with Martin at the San Diego Mercedes.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by sandiego1
thanks for the replies all of you. I guess I am just sick of the beating we take with any nice car. But it seems clear that Mercedes does not want to go along with the rest of the world in bringing down prices or bringing up quality. Its also tough to swallow that BMW and Jag are offering all service included. There was talk of it from mercedes for a while. Mercedes has to get with the times. Its not just the money issue, its the fact that Mercedes thinks they should be able to ask for the dollars and not provide the service. Just my feelings but...I dont ever think that a car should go up in value except a very select few. I own first place winner for all of North America factory restored 55 Chevy Bel Air Convertible with all options. Now that is a fun car. It still makes me laugh when i was looking for a 1955 tube for the stock radio and i found a guy that had some thing like 87 of them and he sold me 10 for 18.00
Well, thats my crying complaint. And to the guy who works on Merces on the side i will contact you. I live in North County Coastal area. I used to deal with Martin at the San Diego Mercedes.
not to jack your thread, but there are some fairly significant differences between the tech in a 55 chevy and a new benz. You ever see the vid of the 59 chevy head on colliding with the 09 chevy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdKWpIBZJgw

Yeah, they depreciate like stones. But they are safe and fast and comfortable. buy them a few years old and let someone else take the hit, then keep them for a while. Z
Old 10-21-2010, 12:48 AM
JR.

fast cars and faster motorcycles ..

generally, the more cars cost when new, the more they depreciate.

you have to admit, a decent 06 S65 at say $45K (with low miles) is a kick *** car.

i can't tell you how many times i choose to drive my S65 rather than other much more exotic cars in my garage.

too me, there is no BETTER bang for the buck than one of these.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
If you want to play with the big boys you have to pay like them.

If you want to save on depreciation on your car, next time look at a nice honda, toyota, lexus, etc. If you want a really fun, latest technology, and SAFE ride look at germans. I'll never forget having to use the jaws of life to pull out my best friend when his car crumpled like origami in an old Honda Accord. I was sure he was dead (he spent 6-7 weeks in the hospital with broken ribs and collar bone, but survived).

Generally speaking, when a new body style is released the old models lose value tremendously.

That being said, there is nothing like the S class. They have always been iconic and classic (even the new ugly one).