S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Cartronics Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML350 1987 Buick GN 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2006 Mercedes S65
Originally Posted by Cartronics
I can appreciate your view, however, NOT ONE of our kits require you to cut anything (this is cause for voiding Mercedes warranty). Also NOT ONE of our kits require soldering of any kind. Both of those are HUGE NO NOs for us. As we are required to make kits that don't void any Mercedes warranty, and none do. MOST of them require to undo one connector or another and connect another. Some are easier than others, but that is generally due to access, not the physical problem of unplugging and plugging.
Our HDTV tuner states that it supports the ATSC-MH protocol. This is what TV enthusiasts have been waiting for for a long time. Previous tuners would work when a car was sitting still, but would not work while in motion. It took all the broadcasters agreeing on a format in 2010 and putting into use. That is what we explain in the product description. However, you are correct, we do not go into the full history (only touch on it) of previous HDTV tuners and associated problems with them (the reason we never offered them for sale). An analogy is similar to cell phone 2G and 3G. Most people don't care what the technical differences are, they just want to know which is better and why. That is what our description attempts to do. I am sorry if we failed you in that way. But I swear to you, we have had exactly two tuners returned out of about 600 so far. However, some customers (one famous client who lives on a ranch in Montana) have no signal where they live at all, but drive on long drives and want it for when they travel to large metro areas that do. We do not pretend to guess what people may want them for.

I looked up your record (as I remember it so well as it is only one of two returns and easy to find on our system). You spoke to 3 different techs here, including me. We log all support calls of any significance at all. I do see that Dave talked to you about a 3 pin on the radio, but it is not clear that he understood this to be a 2006 S Class. Based on what he entered, it looks like he thought this was a 2006 E Class (which does have the 3 pin). In any event, the audio is fairly easily resolved, only the method is different.
There is no 3 pin audio connector on a 2004 - 2006 W220, but there is on 2000 - 2003 and 2007 - current. Unless I misunderstood what you were saying about audio input, I am not sure what this reference is to. I design product for Mercedes Benz, so know the product range and line as well as the factory does I dare say. For audio input on a 2004 - 2006, we would recommend the factory Aux/iPod harness, or our iTronic products. I do recall recommending the factory harness to you (as well as our iTronic) - but it does not plug into the back of the COMAND on the 2004 - 2006 (it is elsewhere in the car). SO you can get Aux input if you want it, but that information or help is provided as a courtesy, unless it is with an iTronic Audio kit. If you buy the aux harness kit from the dealer, they should be providing support for it, not us. If you buy a part from us, we will tell you how it hooks up and give you infinite support for it. However, we can only tell you what you need, we can not make you follow our instructions.

Again, you will not find one single instruction set that we have that says cut anything, solder anything at all. We DO NOT allow that with anything we do.
As always, a day late and a dollar short. If I knew that I would have to spend $889 for a VIM control unit, then another $549 to have an aux audio hooked up I would have went with an aftermarket stereo that had everything already included plus a better Nav, Pandora, iPod, etc, etc for hundreds of $$ less! . This must be the "other" guy who had issues with your VIM control module. I have yet to find any positive posts from your VIM kit.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ncartonicscom/
Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Once again, your information is misleading. The $889 is for a VIM AND an OEM backup sensor as a kit. The VIM is less than that by a good bit. I will let your post stand on its own... you clearly have not done the research on what it would take to install an aftermarket stereo in an S Class. Unless you are using low end equipment, you can't touch the complete re-wire, amp, speakers and head unit, dash kit - let alone service issues at the dealer and warranty voiding for less than three grand.

We ship about 200 VIM units PER MONTH for Mercedes alone.
Crown Mercedes
Mercedes Benz of Buckhead
Fletcher Jones of California dealer network
Hurleys Auto Audio
Rasmussen Mercedes Network
AutoNation Mercedes dealer Network
Biltekno AS in Norway (purchased 50 just last week)
(we have approx 400 shops and dealer networks that install our products)

If people think that every single time an installation goes great and according to plan they post it in a forum somewhere, they simply are not thinking. Forums are generally venues for problems and getting them solved - not for people to sit around and talk about how happy they are. We sponsor these forums, and some others to help people solve problems, sell product and generally give people a better driving experience. We are quite proud of our reputation, but as I have said before - you can not please everyone. We clearly did not meet your expectations.
If anyone wants references about our VIM kit (which is probably our most technical install and the reason we offer a $75 service to do it for you or your audio person) - we will be happy to provide a LONG list of peoples names and numbers or you can start with the short list above. We can provide references for any part we sell.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
Dear Fellow Benz owners,

I have been a long time Mercedes Benz owner going back to the early 70's. I have owned quite a few and loved all of them. I consider myself a shade tree mechanic, but as we all know we are driving big computers now. Most of the time I can still handle the smaller mechanical issues, but as a tinkerer, I like to also have a few gadgets in my car. I actually met Bryan, one of the principles of Cartronics back before it was called Cartronics. He and Scott have always been very helpful and very knowledgable. They have been supplying myself and my friends here in Denver for the last several years with goodies for the inside of our cars. I have done business with them for years and I called and ordered yet another part from Cartronics today. We got into a conversation about these online forums. I will admit, I don't spend too much time on a computer or on these chat areas. I am posting this, and it took my a long while to figure out how, because we were talking about all the people that are happy with them don't say much when they are. I owned a dry cleaning business for 30 years and we used to say 'A happy customer will tell one other person about the good experience, an unhappy customer will tell ten' - and those were the days before the internet. I promised the boys I would get on here and tell them about my experience, and be truthful about it.
Obviously, I have been doing business with them for a few years now, so have been very happy with the products and the support has been above anything I get from any company these days. The only problem I have ever had, was once a product was out of stock for 4 or 5 weeks a couple of years ago. I think it was the bluetooth for my wife's E350. In any event, they shipped it when it came in stock. I have referred a few friends that have Mercedes and one with a Porsche and my shop Excalibur Sound to them and he has been using them too for some time too. I have heard no complaints from any of them.
What I have purchased from them is:
3 bluetooth telephone kits
2 ipod kits
1 video kit
1 rear dvd headrest pair (for the grandkids!!)
2 remote starters
over a span of about 6 years. All of the items functioned without fail (but one of the cars is gone now)
So this is an older retired man telling my ten people, not that I was unhappy, but that I have been very happy with the boys at Cartronics. Thank you all for your time.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507, ml350 2010
major apology - delivered as hurdles are overcome

Originally Posted by parravan
What's up!!!!!?
I ordered a remote start on Sept 7th. When I asked why no deliver in 15days I was told it just came today and will be shipped "tomorrow:.
Oct 13th and no delivery, I was told it was shipped to wrong address. Another was made and will ship Oct 14th (today).
No tracking number received......
Why the BS?
Just don't bill the credit card till you ship, how hard is that?!

Thanks, but somebody needed to say this. I've seen too many complaints online to see that you are listening............ just needed to add my 2cents.
I'd like the remote starter, there are other suppliers, should you really be pushing your luck?

Please clarify?
Thanks,
Joe
I did get delivery of the remote start system after the third attempt.
There were glitches that occurred with the delivery, but I did receive everything.
Cartronics was kind enough to reverse the credit card charges untill I actually received the product!

I'll be taking it to be installed in the next week or two and will post further updates, as needed.

I have to commend the patience from Cartronics as I questionned the delay in delivery......... they really have come thru.....
Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507, ml350 2010
Originally Posted by parravan
I did get delivery of the remote start system after the third attempt.
There were glitches that occurred with the delivery, but I did receive everything.
Cartronics was kind enough to reverse the credit card charges untill I actually received the product!

I'll be taking it to be installed in the next week or two and will post further updates, as needed.

I have to commend the patience from Cartronics as I questionned the delay in delivery......... they really have come thru.....
Finally had it installed and works beautifully.
Mechanic verified the plug and play with no wires to cut.
The mechanic mentionned that it took a little time to get behind the ignition but otherwise went fine. (it was their first installation of this remote).
Thanks Cartronics!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 AM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
i bought the anystream device to stream music through my old 12v ipod connector and it works great with my iphone 4s.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Garage Temporarily Empty
So I have to butt my big nose in here and say that mbelite, although you have given your opinion and experience in this thread, it's not a very unbiased review.
You should have stopped what you were doing on the install and contacted them.
If you did that you would have received the correct instruction as to not to start cutting or splicing ANY wires in your car.
I have used Cartronics to purchase many products and have had nothing but fantastic experiences with their team as well as their products.
It seems you didn't do your homework prior to purchasing the equipment and never called the support team when you were seeing concerns about the install.
As for Paravan, you jumped the gun just hearing Mbelite's misguided review and are backtracking, as you should, to a premature, negative response.
Then the Cartronics team has to do some damage control to these public comments when they shouldn't have to because both you two are off the mark with your comments.

Lesson for you both......Use the Cartronics team to answer questions and do your due diligence on products before you buy them. Don't post your useless comments before you have whole heartedly given their team a chance to work through any concerns.....

Last edited by Vabene7; 12-16-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vabene7
So I have to butt my big nose in here and say that mbelite, although you have given your opinion and experience in this thread, it's not a very unbiased review.
You should have stopped what you were doing on the install and contacted them.
If you did that you would have received the correct instruction as to not to start cutting or splicing ANY wires in your car.
I have used Cartronics to purchase many products and have had nothing but fantastic experiences with their team as well as their products.
It seems you didn't do your homework prior to purchasing the equipment and never called the support team when you were seeing concerns about the install.
As for Paravan, you jumped the gun just hearing Mbelite's misguided review and are backtracking, as you should, to a premature, negative response.
Then the Cartronics team has to do some damage control to these public comments when they shouldn't have to because both you two are off the mark with your comments.

Lesson for you both......Use the Cartronics team to answer questions and do your due diligence on products before you buy them. Don't post your useless comments before you have whole heartedly given their team a chance to work through any concerns.....
Well assuming you read all the posts and understood everything that was said, then you would know that I did call Cartronics "team" (1 "tech rep" does not constitute a team but I will play your game) on several occasions and all their info they game me was B.S. Below is just an example of a few:

1) This kit is plug and play- There is no wires that you can "plug and play" to tap into the reverse brake light switch, power or ground. They even admit that they forgot to add connectors to "tap into " the wires. Thats not plug and play.

2) There is no "aux audio" connection on any 2006 W220 COMAND unit. Look around, it doesnt exist. But yet their "team" of techs swore up and down that I needed to order a connecter from MB that plugs into a 3 pin wire in the back of the COMAND. This doesnt exist.

3) No where on line does it say that this "plug and play" kit requires you to open up the factory COMAND unit and install another board in between the screen and main board (did you know that? Im sure you did right?)

Have you ever purchased This EXACT kit? NO, because if you did you would know how difficult it was to instal and how nothing was plug an play. This review was on the 2 items I purchased from Cartonics that had misleading advertising and poor support. If I write a review on an item that YOU purchased, then go ahead and put your "big nose in". But for now, you can only vouch for the items YOU purchased, which are basic and simple compared to the ones I purchased.

Also, I have done everything from building a fitted block to rebuilding transmissions while working at a Mercedes Benz dealership. I am ASE Master Certified and Mercedes Benz Master Certified so I know my way around a Mercedes. This is not some shade tree mechanic that tried to tackle something too big. I do this for a living. This is not a plug and play kit. Thats like saying a transmission rebuild kit is "plug and play". So before you attempt to bash others opinion about their experience, think twice. You have no experience with the products I am discussing here so please do not comment on my opinions of them . Good luck to your future mods.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:37 AM

2003 S55 AMG, 1998 ML320 & 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
Smile Cartronics Video In Motion (VIM)

It is too bad that MBElite1 had such issues; however, I would like to add my experience with Cartronics. I have the VIM-Backup Camera Kit installed in my 2003 S430 4Motiion, and it works great with the OEM controller and display. The installation was straight forward and has worked beautifully for two years now.
I also have in my W220, from Cartronics, the iPod Audio kit (with XM radio added but not included from Cartronics), Bluetooth Phone System and the Remote Start / SmartStart Combo Kit. I love how well they integrated into the W220's system and how great they all function. I have only had the iPod-controlled Smart starter in for a couple of months but all of the others are over 2 years old, and I do not know what I would do without them now.
I have only one issue with any of these, and that was with the Bluetooth not connecting properly on occasion. When that happens, I have to go into the trunk and clean or at least wiggle the fibre optic connection where the CD Changer used to be connected. I will admit that this is a pain when it happens, but I am going to check with Cartronics Support to see if there is another, more permanent solution. Initially after the installation of the iPod and Bluetooth, I did have some questions for Cartronics Support and they answered them quickly and correctly.

All in all, I am very pleased with the Cartronics products, and the guys that support these products are very helpful and responsive.

Last edited by wrather; 12-17-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: message was incomplete
Old 12-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by wrather
It is too bad that MBElite1 had such issues; however, I would like to add my experience with Cartronics.
Spoken like a true gentlemen. Just a quick question for you, did you install all the stuff yourself or did you have someone else do it? I would imagine you still have to open up the COMAND unit but I believe this kit was made for the older style fiber optic (D2B) and that it doesnt install as easily on a MOST system. The COMAND units are obviously a little different.

Also, does your COMAND unit have the Aux In Port? If Im not mistaken, only the D2B radios on the W220 had this aux port. The MOST systems on the W220 did not have this option which makes a HUGE difference on installation as far as getting an audio signal.

As of now, I have everything hooked up but only use the back up camera which works fine (even though I never received my license plate frame w camera as advertised). If I use the VIM to play movies, I have to use a FM Modulator that sends the audio signal through the FM channels. LAME! And there is always static so its embarrassing to even try to play movies.

Glad you are satisfied with the items you purchased. Believe it or not, I am actually contemplating getting their Ipod Aux Audio module.... but Im waiting to hear feed from someone that owns a 2006 W220 first...
Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Thank you guys for hashing all this out....whew.... the installation is the same basically for the D2B and MOST video units. You are correct on the audio input on post 2004 W220. It has to be done through the MOST or iPod connect kit, as those cars do not have an Aux like the D2B cars do.
Let me know what questions you may have about the Aux/iPod module. It is HEAVILY reviewed in the forums, and I can tell you we have sold just under 8000 of them and had exactly 3 returned EVER!!! We are very proud of that
Old 12-17-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cartronics
Thank you guys for hashing all this out....whew.... the installation is the same basically for the D2B and MOST video units. You are correct on the audio input on post 2004 W220. It has to be done through the MOST or iPod connect kit, as those cars do not have an Aux like the D2B cars do.
Let me know what questions you may have about the Aux/iPod module. It is HEAVILY reviewed in the forums, and I can tell you we have sold just under 8000 of them and had exactly 3 returned EVER!!! We are very proud of that
Pm sent. Hoping to finally complete this install and join the many satisfied customers. It's up to Cartronics now to make this happen.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:59 AM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Being a super duper mechanic has nothing to do with my point, but rather your quick negative public approach and it being premature.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:52 PM

Being a super duper mechanic has nothing to do with my point, but rather your quick negative public approach and it being premature.
WOW, your a genius! Your right, instead of calling Tech Support for help various times and then completing the install on my own and writing a review I should have waited 3-4 years so my review would not be premature. This way I would forget how difficult it was to install and what things went wrong. What the heck was I thinking! So for future reference, how long should one wait before submitting a review so he is not considered premature? Weeks after install, months after install, years after install? You let me know since your the expert.

Did you even read the first post where it clearly says "I have been thinking for days about writing a review about the Cartronics System that I recently ordered and spent over $1500 for." This means I had already called customer support and I had already completed installation. Then I waited a few days contemplating if I should even do the review. So I did it to give anyone a heads up about the difficulty with installing this kit and the difficulties I encountered.

But from now on before I submit a review I will email you first so you can proof read it and let me know what I need to correct about my review. Thanks again dude!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:29 PM

2006 CLS500
Great 1st time install

I bought the hands free phone from Cartronics for my CLS500. I have had blue tooth professionally install in other cars. However, after watching the video and talking to the Cartronic support (they returned my call even though I called after hours), I decided to launch into my dash. The video was right on point. However a small locking pin "jumped" out of the command center plug and hid somewhere in the depth of my console. I taped it (the unit worked with the band aid) and went to the dealer for a replacement plug. They could not be sure which plug, but said the cost would be between $300 and $1,000 (they recommended I go to a salvage yard). I called Cartronics, explained the slip, and they asked for a picture of the plug. After emailing an iphone shot, Cartronic sent a replacement at no cost. The unit works exactly as advertised and a second install would take less than an hour. GREAT product, service and video.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 PM

So then I will take your advice. I PM'd Cartronics on Dec 17th, 2011, and not wanting to be "impatient" or "premature" I have been waiting for their response. Lets see, its been about 2 months already.

I want to get this system up and running just how I was told and "promised it would work and be plug-and-play". How much longer should I wait before I throw up the BS flag? Im giving this company another chance to make me happy and complete my VIM's audio portion. This gives me a chance to try another one of their products that people "rave" about. Or may be Im just dumb for continually going back to a company who doesnt care?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

FYI, I am a contractor for Cartronics... PM;s from here rarely get to anybody that can help. They have a website and email contact and phone information to contact them and get an immediate response. This is a forum, not their direct contact link.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 PM

2006 E55
About 18 months ago, I installed the Cartronics phone unit with iPod jack in my 2006 E55. The phone has always worked great but I have never been able to get theiPod to work. is there a trick or fix I need to know? Thanks for any advice. Greg
Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 AM

I think Cartronics is out of business. My theory is you can only sell junk for so long before the word gets out. Their website is no longer available and I am not sure if any of them are still around the boards.... I could be wrong though. May be one of them will chime in.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:01 AM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
I heard the owner passed away that is why they closed, I have one of the anystream things that hooks up to the ipod cable in the glove box it works great.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by mbelite1
I think Cartronics is out of business. My theory is you can only sell junk for so long before the word gets out. Their website is no longer available and I am not sure if any of them are still around the boards.... I could be wrong though. May be one of them will chime in.
The dude died, that was fairly well covered on the board. Unless your theory extends to post mortem sales, I suspect it needs revising. May he rest in peace.