S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Cartronics Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML350 1987 Buick GN 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2006 Mercedes S65
Cartronics Review

I have been thinking for days about writing a review about the Cartronics System that I recently ordered and spent over $1500 for. To say the system was a bit disappointing is an understatement. I will try to keep my reviews "professional".

Things that need improvement:

VIM Kit w/ Backup Camera

This system is by no means "plug-and-play" as it is advertised. You will need to cut wires to get power, ground and signal for the units. You will need to open up the COMAND unit to install their circuit board. The instructions are outdated (as in some of the pictures have parts of the old kit and the new kit has totally different components) and the pictures are blurry and hard to see the details. Routing of the ribbon cable like the pictures shows you is impossible with the newer components. You will have to modify the ribbon connector for the COMAND screen to connect to the provided control module.

There is no instructions on which wires from the VIM kit to connect to the vehicle for power, ground and signal. You will have to find these on your own. You will have to pierce these wires to get power from them and the kit DOES NOT include the "tap connectors" to do this, even though this is a plug-and-play kit. I chose to solder mine in for a good connection.

The license plate frame back up camera that I chose comes with no license plate frame. You read it correctly, it comes with no license plate frame even though the picture on their website shows the camera in a license plate frame.

There is various other wiring harnesses that come with this kit. The kit has no instructions for these so you have no idea if you need to use them or not.... unless you actually call Cartronics.

HDTV

This "Complete Kit, nothing else to buy" is missing things that you need to buy. One thing missing is the instructions for the installation. The other thing missing is the video and audio cables to connect this system from the HDTV module to the VIM module. Also missing is the connectors to connect the system to power and ground.

I have dealt a lot with installation kits before. We sell hundreds of them at Mercedes for connecting iPods to phone systems to rear entertainment systems. I have installed all these kits with not issues. Those are REAL plug and play kits. You do not have to cut wires at all. Just unplug something, plug something in between it, and it works perfectly. Some require coding via the SDS.

I was ignorant in believing a kit costing over $1000 would be a true plug and play kit. After about a few months of driving I will give a review on how the system operates. Until then, I recommend people be aware that this kit is not as simple to install as you would be lead to believe. I was hoping to write awesome reviews about this kit and I was really excited about buying future items from them.... but after this, I doubt it.

I am even debating about getting the Rear Entertainment system because it will "match the leather, grain and stitching for only $1300".... but after receiving a "plug and play kit" with "nothing else to buy" that was not as advertised, I would rather just buy the same Rear Entertainment system locally for about $350. Good luck guys!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 AM

Well thanks for the offer, I still haven't received any PM though.

Also, I recommend double checking your ordering system. On my invoice it says "License Plate Camera" but for some reason it doesnt show on your system? Also, if no one has order the license plate camera since Aug, maybe there is a glitch?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:04 AM

*****UPDATE******

Well I did receive a "gift" for a code for a discount on my next purchase from Cartonics. Go figure, they want me to spend more money with them. So I started looking at either their Ipod Aux kit or the Bluetooth adapter. I was really interested in the Ipod Kit but when I started reading all the info with the "plug and play" kit with "no wires to cut" I began to get worried again. Things that seem too good to be true, well you know how that goes.

So my next step was to come on here and do some research to see if anyone has had good luck with the kits they purchased from Cartronics. Then I come to my review, I re-read everything I wrote and then I noticed how the replies to this post by Cartronics have been deleted.

So now I feel this is somewhat shady so for the time being I am no longer going to purchase items from them. I feel they try to support the customer somewhat but it also seems like they feed you a little BS too. Like when I called their tech support about my 06 S65 COMAND not having an Aux port they told me "No, it does have one. You just need the cable from a different model and in the back there is a little 3 pin plug where you connect it too." I was like "Okay, I guess I have never pulled this radio out like 1000 times already and checked for myself." I hate when people think you have no idea what you are talking about and then try to feed you BS to get you off the line. I had already told this guy I worked at a Benz dealership for over 6 years and he still tries to feed me BS.

Hope this review helps others. I wouldnt recommend buying from these people to anyone. Wish I could have been more positive but it is what it is.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
They were deleted, as we became a sponsor and our username changed.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Please contact me directly for any assistance we can offer, and to MAKE SURE you get any additional parts and items you need.

Scott
Old 10-14-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C63 AMG 507, ml350 2010
Originally Posted by Cartronics
Please contact me directly for any assistance we can offer, and to MAKE SURE you get any additional parts and items you need.

Scott
What's up!!!!!?
I ordered a remote start on Sept 7th. When I asked why no deliver in 15days I was told it just came today and will be shipped "tomorrow:.
Oct 13th and no delivery, I was told it was shipped to wrong address. Another was made and will ship Oct 14th (today).
No tracking number received......
Why the BS?
Just don't bill the credit card till you ship, how hard is that?!

Thanks, but somebody needed to say this. I've seen too many complaints online to see that you are listening............ just needed to add my 2cents.
I'd like the remote starter, there are other suppliers, should you really be pushing your luck?

Please clarify?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 10-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It was mistakenly sent to another customer as we told you that happens to have a very similar name. We built another for you and are shipping it today as promised.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Scott
Thanks hope you mean it.
I've got 60 days to dispute the charge.
37 and counting.........
Sorry to be so blunt.......
Old 10-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

We don't blame you. It was an error that our shipping guy got to pay hell for. It was simply embarrassing for me. It took me nearly an hour looking at records to figure it out myself. Without naming the other client, or your name - let's just say there is only two letters different in the last name, and you both happened to order within a couple of days of one another. Honest mistake on his part, but embarrassing and expensive for us. I will be personally driving it to the depot on my way home tonight.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 PM

We don't blame you. It was an error that our shipping guy got to pay hell for. It was simply embarrassing for me. It took me nearly an hour looking at records to figure it out myself. Without naming the other client, or your name - let's just say there is only two letters different in the last name, and you both happened to order within a couple of days of one another. Honest mistake on his part, but embarrassing and expensive for us. I will be personally driving it to the depot on my way home tonight.
I'll be only to happy to confirm the error was corrected.......
It's the support that may be required if there is a question, that is of concern.......
Old 10-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Ahh, well you are in good hands there. We are all techs (besides the shipping clerk) and support is what we are well known for.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:25 PM

Ahh, well you are in good hands there. We are all techs (besides the shipping clerk) and support is what we are well known for.
Great! I've got a mechanic ready to see this and help. Since I'm interested in the NAV package I would be happy to know you are reliable.
Thnks
Old 10-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by parravan
Thanks hope you mean it.
I've got 60 days to dispute the charge.
37 and counting.........
Sorry to be so blunt.......
The best advice I can give you now is just dispute the charge NOW!! If you plan on installing it yourself you are gonna be very disappointed and wishing you had disputed it. If you plan on having someone else install it, you will give them the biggest headache ever and they will be telling you "this kit is missing things so it's gonna cost a little more to install" I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. Good luck and post your results. I'm interested.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by mbelite1
The best advice I can give you now is just dispute the charge NOW!! If you plan on installing it yourself you are gonna be very disappointed and wishing you had disputed it. If you plan on having someone else install it, you will give them the biggest headache ever and they will be telling you "this kit is missing things so it's gonna cost a little more to install" I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. Good luck and post your results. I'm interested.
I'll definitely post the results...
The Mechanic has an audio shop that he subcontracts to. There is also an dealer in town that "does these", as a last resort.
I'd like this to work and no skin off my nose if I dispute now or later.
bUT ON nOV 1ST i'LL PROB BE CALLING VISA,...................... the track record says so ;>(............
Old 10-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Just dropped off as promised!! If you have any questions please call us as soon as they arise.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:50 PM

Just dropped off as promised!! If you have any questions please call us as soon as they arise.
Haven't got a tracking number yet, is that going to have to wait till Monday?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 PM

04 s600
Wow. I was gonna buy from them too and I knew the install would be hard. Called some local shops and they wanted some $$$ to install the rear back up camera and Bluetooth. Seeing from ur review that it's not a true plug and play helped me. Thank you
Old 10-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

parravan, it was dropped off by me very late at night, so I would assume you will get the tracking number tomorrow morning when they scan it, or you can call our office in the morning and I can give it to you when we reopen.

benzdream - one persons very easy is anothers very difficult. We do offer a service for only $75 that will install it all for you. All you have to do is run the wire... so it is true plug and play.

Last edited by Cartronics; 10-16-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:21 AM

parravan, it was dropped off by me very late at night, so I would assume you will get the tracking number tomorrow morning when they scan it, or you can call our office in the morning and I can give it to you when we reopen.

benzdream - one persons very easy is anothers very difficult. We do offer a service for only $75 that will install it all for you. All you have to do is run the wire... so it is true plug and play.

I hope so.
Use my email on the order and send me the tracking number.
I have time constraints as I'm taking it on a trip to install in a car out of state and if it hasn't shipped we'll need to cancel till you can ship.
Thanks
Old 10-17-2011, 07:03 PM

This is the funniest thing I ever heard! LoL. That's like going to Jiffy Lube for a complete Full Service oil and filter change for $9! All you have to do is drain the oil and replace the filter. They will add the oil and then you have a true "Full Service" oil and filter change.

You should jump all over this deal!!!

To Benzdream9, glad I helped you out. And honestly, I feel if Cartronics would have a more accurate description of what they sell it would be better. For example, they sold me the kit to get Free Live TV channels over the air for my Mercedes Benz. When I hooked it up and had it completely installed, I had no channel reception. When I called Cartronics to see if I did something wrong he tells me "Oh, as of now this service is not available in the San Diego area. But it SHOULD be in a few years." WTF?! So I sent it back and only got back 40% of what I paid for it!! They should have something in their description saying "Check area for service availability" or "Call for service availability" and not just sell it to everyone! You know we are going to call back when it doesn't work considering only like 5 cities have this service!! It's like they wanna take your money one way or another.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 CL500
Very disappointing as I have considered ordering both Bluetooth and Ipod Intergration kits from them...

This coupled with Cartronics view of the Insurance industry has turned me completely off.

Looks like I will be trying to find an alternative vendor.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

mbelite1 - this is simply not true. The HDTV tuner does assume you have HDTV channels broadcasting in your area of course. San Diego does now have channels, nobody said you should "In few years" as I am the one that helped you. I never said that. Also, you received all your money back less our normal restocking fee... which is not 60%. Any buyer can call local broadcaster to find out if they are broadcasting the HDTV MH signal. It would not be reasonable to monitor every hill and valley in the country to find out if you can receive channels. We sell about 10-12 HDTV tuners per week, and you are one of two people that have ever returned one.

BTW, we have about 85 MB dealerships that send in the units to have the VIM installed for them, as we are the ones that co-developed it. I am not sure how that is like Jiffy Lube oil change. It is more like having your engine fixed by the company that designed the block.

I am sorry you are upset, but I am not sure how we can be more clear in our HDTV advertisement. It DOES tell you what it receives. We assume you know what you want to receive. Respectfully, I wish you would tell the truth, not some inflamed ax that you clearly have to grind. We are very very proud of our reputation, but of course we can not please everyone. All of our manuals are available BEFORE you buy (except remote start which are not allowed to be published via online via agreement).
Old 10-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

John CL500 - there are other vendors. I personally jumped all over our tech that posted about the insurance industry. In his defense, his family was very hurt twice by them (I had to loan him the money), but when you are in the business of helping clients, he needs to keep that to his own head.
I woud urge you to search these forums and the 'other' MB forums and you will find many many happy clients and responses. This little corner has become a place for people to grind axes and in one case simply post untrue information.
As I started this business, I insist that all my techs, developers and suppliers do the best they can. We try very very hard to please everyone - but everyone knows that is simply not possible. So many things are open to interpretation - and expectations can be different from person to person.
I will go so far as to give you some ideas of alternative suppliers that I respect for you to go to. Just give me a call. Bryan
Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM

It's not really an ax to grind, it's just my review. I tried to keep my opinions unbiased but it's hard to see it that way. Anyways, there is a difference between HD channels over the air that any tv can pick up and HD channels that a car tuner can pick up. Feel free to expand on that. I don't want people to assume that they have HD tv at home and they should have it in their car. Sorry to hear I'm 1 of 2 that have complained about your tuners but I find that hard to believe. Also, please expand on how you told me that there is a 3 pin audio connector in the back of all 2006 MB W220 COMAND units, cause the last time I spoke with you, you swore there was a 3 pin cable I could hook up to the back of my COMAND so I could hook up an aux audio cable. To date, I have not found this mystical connector. And if you find it, I'll buy it off you. But it just seemed that all the info I got from Cartronics was inaccurate. This is the main reason I recommend detailed instructions and descriptions. Like when your kits say "plug and play" when they should say "plug, splice, solder, & cut". Just my $.02
Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I can appreciate your view, however, NOT ONE of our kits require you to cut anything (this is cause for voiding Mercedes warranty). Also NOT ONE of our kits require soldering of any kind. Both of those are HUGE NO NOs for us. As we are required to make kits that don't void any Mercedes warranty, and none do. MOST of them require to undo one connector or another and connect another. Some are easier than others, but that is generally due to access, not the physical problem of unplugging and plugging.
Our HDTV tuner states that it supports the ATSC-MH protocol. This is what TV enthusiasts have been waiting for for a long time. Previous tuners would work when a car was sitting still, but would not work while in motion. It took all the broadcasters agreeing on a format in 2010 and putting into use. That is what we explain in the product description. However, you are correct, we do not go into the full history (only touch on it) of previous HDTV tuners and associated problems with them (the reason we never offered them for sale). An analogy is similar to cell phone 2G and 3G. Most people don't care what the technical differences are, they just want to know which is better and why. That is what our description attempts to do. I am sorry if we failed you in that way. But I swear to you, we have had exactly two tuners returned out of about 600 so far. However, some customers (one famous client who lives on a ranch in Montana) have no signal where they live at all, but drive on long drives and want it for when they travel to large metro areas that do. We do not pretend to guess what people may want them for.

I looked up your record (as I remember it so well as it is only one of two returns and easy to find on our system). You spoke to 3 different techs here, including me. We log all support calls of any significance at all. I do see that Dave talked to you about a 3 pin on the radio, but it is not clear that he understood this to be a 2006 S Class. Based on what he entered, it looks like he thought this was a 2006 E Class (which does have the 3 pin). In any event, the audio is fairly easily resolved, only the method is different.
There is no 3 pin audio connector on a 2004 - 2006 W220, but there is on 2000 - 2003 and 2007 - current. Unless I misunderstood what you were saying about audio input, I am not sure what this reference is to. I design product for Mercedes Benz, so know the product range and line as well as the factory does I dare say. For audio input on a 2004 - 2006, we would recommend the factory Aux/iPod harness, or our iTronic products. I do recall recommending the factory harness to you (as well as our iTronic) - but it does not plug into the back of the COMAND on the 2004 - 2006 (it is elsewhere in the car). SO you can get Aux input if you want it, but that information or help is provided as a courtesy, unless it is with an iTronic Audio kit. If you buy the aux harness kit from the dealer, they should be providing support for it, not us. If you buy a part from us, we will tell you how it hooks up and give you infinite support for it. However, we can only tell you what you need, we can not make you follow our instructions.

Again, you will not find one single instruction set that we have that says cut anything, solder anything at all. We DO NOT allow that with anything we do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cartronics Review