S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Can someone please briefly explain the difference between ABC and Airmatic with ABC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500
Originally Posted by Oliverk
uh, actually, no he's not.

airmatic and ABC are two completely separate systems. You have one or the other.

Since you think you are so clever, show me the air line and the compressor on an s55.

bloody hell, I have to do everything around here:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10609056...e-body-control

"To this end, the four spring struts are equipped with microprocessor-controlled plunger cylinders which almost completely compensate yawing, pitching and rolling movements of the vehicle body. The computer receives information about the relevant driving situation from the various acceleration sensors, then compares this with the data from the pressure sensors in the spring struts and the level sensors in the steering control arms. The ABC system translates this information into control signals, which are implemented as precisely metered oil flows by hydraulic servo-valves on the front and rear axles. When oil flows into the plunger cylinders, these adjust the tracing point of the steel springs integrated into the spring struts, generating the forces necessary to counteract movements of the vehicle body."

S55:

s500:

See the white lines running into the strut tops.

Those are AIR lines. See the s55 doesn't have them. The S55 has an electrical connector.
Oliverk, could you clear something up for me?

I have a 2002 S500. Since I see an error message for the Airmatic (dealership says I need new front left and right struts), does this mean I do not have ABC? I'm wondering because I want to order something like:

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...26_gid614.html

I know I don't have 4matic, but I'm not too sure about ABC. Since this part (or others similar to it) say that it's not for ABC, I'm wondering what the best way to figure out if this solution to my problem would work. I've been reading on the board how the airmatic/strut problem is pretty common to this model, and I'm trying to find a more cost-effective solution.

Thank you for your help!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
Originally Posted by uclabruin-s500
Oliverk, could you clear something up for me?

I have a 2002 S500. Since I see an error message for the Airmatic (dealership says I need new front left and right struts), does this mean I do not have ABC? I'm wondering because I want to order something like:

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...26_gid614.html

I know I don't have 4matic, but I'm not too sure about ABC. Since this part (or others similar to it) say that it's not for ABC, I'm wondering what the best way to figure out if this solution to my problem would work. I've been reading on the board how the airmatic/strut problem is pretty common to this model, and I'm trying to find a more cost-effective solution.

Thank you for your help!!!
If that picture is of your car...you do not have ABC. That is strictly an Airmatic car in the picture...it has no ABC reservoir and the strut connections are different for ABC.

Mike
Old 09-22-2011, 10:42 AM

2002 S500
Hi mrbenzes,

The picture you are looking at isn't mine. I hit the 'quick reply' button and quoted Oliverk's post, which then included his picture...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
Originally Posted by uclabruin-s500
Hi mrbenzes,

The picture you are looking at isn't mine. I hit the 'quick reply' button and quoted Oliverk's post, which then included his picture...
The One in the lower picture is Airmatic only...No ABC.

Mike
Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 PM

2002 S500
Sorry if I wasn't clear, none of the pictures are mine. They belong to Oliverk. I would be happy to take some pictures, but frankly, I don't know where to aim my camera! (Obviously, I'm a little 'mechanically-challenged'...)
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 PM

2002 S500
Smile

BTW, thank you Mike for your assistance.

I talked to a parts rep this morning and after providing my VIN, he was able to confirm that I do have airmatic, no ABC.

Sincerely appreciate the help!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:35 AM

Depends where I'm going.
Airmatic vs ABC.... simple. When you turn off the car, exit and shut the door, you hear a pfft sound when the system depressurizes a tiny bit --> airmatic. You wake up one morning and one end of your car is touching the ground with a huge puddle of fluid under it --> ABC. Either way it's an expensive repair. Front strut blew out (literally exploded) on my old GL450 and various valves, pumps, etc have gone out on my old SL600.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 09-24-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc S55 AMG Kompressor 2003 & S320 1999
Hi Guys. The way I read it the initial query says 2003 S55K to be this is 2002/3 Mercs W220 S55 AMG KOMPRESSOR (Super charger) , Hence the K is for Kompressor. (German Spelling) I have one of those 493 HP. They only came out with Hydraulic ABC system because of the required performance as it (was) factually a "supercar" at that time. I have lots of problems with the recalibration of the suspension after a Hight pressure pipe burst , resulting in that the system would not react at all anymore. 3 so called Mercedes Expert dealers later they failed to isolate a simple problem with the Pressure Control Valve Unit (Pressure sensor shows 182 Bar but post control valve there is no pressure measuring place and it turned out to be a pressure release valve issue in that unit not allowing sufficient pressure to go to the strut control valves, which I eventually replaced myself with a used unit and the car is now reacting to inputs gain but the dealers have been F...ng around with the control unit basic settings to try to get the shocks to react with out having a clue what the factual problem was so that calibration is now totally out. (Please note Merc sells the Valve unit complete and you cannot buy the pressure release valve separately. (Dishonesty among thieves) Hydraulic ABC is brilliant but when it gets older you get problems. Pump, shocks, valve units etc. are horrendously expensive but far more important most dealers and Privateers have NO CLUE what to do and just use star to diagnose and then they start replacing parts to isolate the problem (You pay also for all parts that did not need replacing) . CONCLUSION: if you cannot work on it yourself DO NOT buy an older car. You must have star and other "Rather Expensive" tools like inclination angle meters and 4 post power lifts to set ride height and load calibration. (The Launch diagnostic system also works but you need the other tools also) I am still struggling to get actual Inclination Angle specification so if somebody really, and I mean really have insight please publish them (Not other models as they are totally different and the controller will refuse those.