S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Came across this S55, and had some questions

Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Came across this S55, and had some questions

Hey guys. Found this S55 the other day and wondered what you guys here thought about the deal.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

It's the closest I could find a car I wanted, and I like the price. Are the options for this car decent? I need to ask for more pictures.

I was thinking about getting either an W211 E55 or one of these S55s. I wanted something I could modify as I know the E55 can be. My other question is can an S55 be modified like CF lip, engine performance and things like that? Geez I'm starting to sound like a noob so I'll end it here..

Thanks guys
Old 02-12-2012, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No feedback with all these views? Not even a, "looks nice" or "walk away"...
Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Engine mods for S55 are identical to E55, since they have, well, the same engine (although exhaust is different due to length of car and space in engine bay).

For cosmetic mods, you have to look for things made for the W220 chassis, since that's what the S55 is, it's not a W211 E55 car.

For warranty purposes, you might want to look at a 2005, because unlike the E55 and its airmatic, the S55 has the ABC suspension which can create expensive leaks in its components and its owners bank accounts.

$21K is not a bad price for new tires, excellent rating from an MB PPI, no prior paint/bodywork, etc. A car like that will do about $18K at the dealer auction. So if that one, if really nice, is fairly priced at $21K retail.

For options I see parktronic. I can't tell if it has keyless go but it does not look like it to me. Then it also does not have rear seat package or distronic. It appears to be lightly optioned.

Bruce

Last edited by Becks Imports; 02-12-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
Yes, lots of views / no replies... is the unfortunate reality of this/220 forums.

pretty lame 8-/

agreed w/ Bruce, that one looks / sounds decent (B, ad says has keyless go and bi-xe's)

for reference, I was by my bud's shop yest and he just got a blk/blk '04 S55 in with 94k, and he's asking the same price as the silver one you linked - which I think is priced 'fair' but not great, so that 67k car is priced decently

for further reference (don's flamesuit)... I took it for a whirl to get back to back comparo with my S600... many likes (!) but overall a bit disappointed. Not that you're looking @ a 600, but some thoughts overall between the two:

Liiiike the steering feel / wheel / ratio, gearbox software I'd kill to have in my car along w/ wheel shifters (FTMFW!).

Suspension is stiff, causes the whole chassis to transmit finite resonance / jitters into the car, could be tires but didn't fit the character of the car IMHO.

Def feel the lesser curb weight - that's really quite welcome!

Lack of full leather... while 'acceptable', the cabin is notably blah once you're accustomed to being ensconced in sheer awesomeness.

Exhaust note inside car is fun... for a few miles. It'd get old I think, and again really was incongruous to the stature of the car IMHO. And I love a nice growling car, just seemed off here for ? reason. Other end of spectrum, the 600 needs entirely more sound inside 8-/.

Worst... that motor makes and E55 rip @$$... this thing felt like I was driving my car w/ the ebrake on. Wow, I thought it'd be even remotely similar to the biturbo12 power. Um, no. Seemed (to me) barely sufficient for the heft.

Anywho, I'm sure I'll get ripped to shreds here for uttering such (tho that'd mean people would actually use the forum/reply - so sad) - hopefully not, these are not digs whatsover, just observations. I dig S55's overall, ideally a 600 would have that trans / steering - that'd be a car 8-). (and yes, I know you can build them into monsters)

Last edited by Sgt. Schultz; 02-13-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
Humm. Im not seeing feeling the same things as Sgt. Schultz but my 2003 S55 is tweaked alot. Agree, your going to need some $$ to maintain this car with the ABC system.
If you can afford a MBenz extended warranty I would buy one.
Mine has over 700 HP and 600 at the rear wheels so I can't get coverage. All mods are as per E55. I eat standard E55's for breakfast along with a ton of exotic cars and other german cars.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yay! Finally some good feedback. I've noticed how this section is normally dead. Maybe I should stick with an E55 since that section is busy busy

Originally Posted by Becks Imports
Engine mods for S55 are identical to E55, since they have, well, the same engine (although exhaust is different due to length of car and space in engine bay).

For cosmetic mods, you have to look for things made for the W220 chassis, since that's what the S55 is, it's not a W211 E55 car.

For warranty purposes, you might want to look at a 2005, because unlike the E55 and its airmatic, the S55 has the ABC suspension which can create expensive leaks in its components and its owners bank accounts.

$21K is not a bad price for new tires, excellent rating from an MB PPI, no prior paint/bodywork, etc. A car like that will do about $18K at the dealer auction. So if that one, if really nice, is fairly priced at $21K retail.

For options I see parktronic. I can't tell if it has keyless go but it does not look like it to me. Then it also does not have rear seat package or distronic. It appears to be lightly optioned.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce! I agree with the warranty comments and the suspension problems of the S/CL class. I'm pretty confident at the moment on this guy telling me the car is in great order. He gave me contact info from ppl to call at reputable high end, exotic dealers he's worked with...Plus he knows a lot about this car in particular. So I hope it's in good condition

But I think it does indeed have keyless go...not sure about the rear seat package. If not, that's somewhat of a let down. But for this price I'd be willing to settle since it will only be my girls back there..lol

Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz
Yes, lots of views / no replies... is the unfortunate reality of this/220 forums.

pretty lame 8-/

agreed w/ Bruce, that one looks / sounds decent (B, ad says has keyless go and bi-xe's)

for reference, I was by my bud's shop yest and he just got a blk/blk '04 S55 in with 94k, and he's asking the same price as the silver one you linked - which I think is priced 'fair' but not great, so that 67k car is priced decently

for further reference (don's flamesuit)... I took it for a whirl to get back to back comparo with my S600... many likes but overall tremendously disappointed. Not that you're looking @ a 600, but some thoughts overall between the two:

Like the steering feel / wheel / ratio, gearbox software I'd kill to have in my car along w/ wheel shifters (FTMFW!).

Suspension is stiff, causes the whole chassis to transmit finite resonance / jitters into the car, could be tires but didn't fit the character of the car IMHO.

Def feel the lesser curb weight - quite welcome!

Lack of full leather... while 'acceptable', the cabin is notably blah once you're accustomed to being ensconced in sheer awesomeness.

Exhaust note inside car is fun... for a few miles. It'd get old I think, and again really was incongruous to the stature of the car IMHO. And I love a nice growling car, just seemed off here for ? reason. Other end of spectrum, the 600 needs entirely more sound inside 8-/.

Worst... that motor makes and E55 rip @$$... this thing felt like I was driving my car w/ the ebrake on. Wow, what a disappointment, I thought it'd be even remotely similar to the biturbo12 power. Um, no. Wow. Barely sufficient for the heft.

Anywho, I'm sure I'll get ripped to shreds here for uttering such (tho that'd mean people would actually use the forum/reply - so sad) - hopefully not, these are not digs whatsover, just observations. I dig S55's overall, ideally a 600 would have that trans / steering - that'd be a car 8-). (and yes, I know you can build them into monsters)
I'm also interested in the S600. I found a decent one about 400 miles away that's an 2003 with about the same amount of miles. So which did you end up liking better the 55 or 600?

So what you posted above was about the 55 right? I'm thinking the wait must be the difference between the S and the E. Is the 600 worth looking more into? I was thinking AMG, but I can't resist that TQ, and I know with a tune they are insane.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jnash
Humm. Im not seeing feeling the same things as Sgt. Schultz but my 2003 S55 is tweaked alot. Agree, your going to need some $$ to maintain this car with the ABC system.
Mine has over 700 HP and 600 at the rear wheels so I can't get coverage. All mods are as per E55. I eat standard E55's for breakfast along with a ton of exotic cars and other german cars.
Those are some number I could live with, but I bet it cost a lot to get it there.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

You may want to consider my S600.

Mines's more dough, but probably less dough in the long run since I have spent thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands recently on getting it into fighting shape. All the crazy expensive stuff you will likely have to do between 60K and 100K is already done on my car.

And mine is like the best of both worlds.....it's an S600, so you get all the goodies Sgt. Shultz talked about, but mine has $25K in Brabus modifications, so you get pretty much all the stuff you'd want in an AMG car too.

Anyhow, I can go into more specifics if you'd like......brucem105@comcast.net, or 856-912-2600.

Oh, and if you want an E55 or S55, I can get you one of those too. But I'd take a long hard look at my car....it's pretty sweet.

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails Came across this S55, and had some questions-leftfront.jpg   Came across this S55, and had some questions-rightrear.jpg   Came across this S55, and had some questions-dash.jpg   Came across this S55, and had some questions-rearseat.jpg   Came across this S55, and had some questions-interior2.jpg  

Came across this S55, and had some questions-brabus1.jpg  

Last edited by Becks Imports; 02-12-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:48 PM

opposite-lock...
Originally Posted by jnash
Again, def not a dig and def just my opinion... it was an uncanny difference getting out of my (chipped) 600 / into the 55 / back into my 600. Even w/o my software the difference is simply ENORMOUS.

heh and your car is def not stock - sounds *tastey*, love them Kleeman bits I bet it's a monster

To the OP, def consider B's Brabus car - I've seen it, it's pretty damn sweet. Really unique car, and like he said... fully sorted. Def try both, I figured I'd offer my perspective... as it'd been helpful I think for me to know 'that' when I was torn between the 2 initially.

but probably less dough in the long run since I have spent thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands recently
ROFLMAO
Old 02-12-2012, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You may want to consider my S600.

Mines's more dough, but probably less dough in the long run since I have spent thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands recently on getting it into fighting shape. All the crazy expensive stuff you will likely have to do between 60K and 100K is already done on my car.

And mine is like the best of both worlds.....it's an S600, so you get all the goodies Sgt. Shultz talked about, but mine has $25K in Brabus modifications, so you get pretty much all the stuff you'd want in an AMG car too.

Anyhow, I can go into more specifics if you'd like......brucem105@comcast.net, or 856-912-2600.

Oh, and if you want an E55 or S55, I can get you one of those too. But I'd take a long hard look at my car....it's pretty sweet.

Bruce
Email sent
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz
Again, def not a dig and def just my opinion... it was an uncanny difference getting out of my (chipped) 600 / into the 55 / back into my 600. Even w/o my software the difference is simply ENORMOUS.

heh and your car is def not stock - sounds *tastey*, love them Kleeman bits I bet it's a monster

To the OP, def consider B's Brabus car - I've seen it, it's pretty damn sweet. Really unique car, and like he said... fully sorted. Def try both, I figured I'd offer my perspective... as it'd been helpful I think for me to know 'that' when I was torn between the 2 initially.

ROFLMAO
Well, I really want a 600 now...but I'm stuck with getting rid of my car and trade in is the only way...So right now I'm seriously considering this S55 as stated in first post. I've been talking with him all day. Nothing is final yet, unless something else changes soon it could be...

How much would it cost to tune this thing with pulleys and TBs, used? I see some at times in the classified section. Maybe I can tune it to get it where it needs to be.

Can anyone tell me how much the ECU tunes are normally?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I know I pay $700 to get 100HP. My god I forget sometimes how great a deal that is!

Not sure for pulley/tune on S55. Probably $2000 for pulley, sw, and labor?

Bruce
Old 02-13-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. This car you are looking at seems to be a pretty good deal BUT there is one thing that sticks out for me. That is the ABC system in these cars are good for about 75/80K miles and this car is close. So what I am saying is this car WILL need a new ABC pump soon unless it has already been done. I know this seems to be picky but it is mostly true.
But that all being said I wouldn't not get the car because of of the pump but I would just be prepared for it. Good luck.
BTW I LOVE MY S55! I just spent over 30 hours doing a paint correction detail and engine bay detail. It looks like new with over 105K miles!
Johan
Old 02-13-2012, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Found an S600. What do you think?

http://www.modaautolounge.com/newand...-CA-94568.aspx

I came across this one also over the weekend. Is this a decent price for and 03? I'm leaning toward a 600, but I'm not sure about this one without getting the PPI.

I want Bruce's 600, but it's out of my price range unfortunately
Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

You can't say if it's a good deal or not until you've put it through a Benz dealer PPI.

If it's no accidents and gets a clean bill of health on the PPI, then that's a high, but not ridiculous, price. If it's needy, or has prior repairs to body, then walk at that price.

If I got a 2003 like that for you that was nice cosmetically and it cleared PPI, it would be about $18,500-$19K.

Bruce
Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

He said he could do 21K, so I'd have to decide if I really am interested in this one and pay the $150 for the PPI.

Bruce, do you not have anything else?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by xlr8tin
He said he could do 21K, so I'd have to decide if I really am interested in this one and pay the $150 for the PPI.

Bruce, do you not have anything else?
I spend about $5000 a year on PPIs for cars that I wind up not purchasing.

Nothing now, but the auction system is very dynamic...tens of thousands of cars each week, new ones added daily, entire nationwide inventory refreshed each week, etc. Tomorrow there could be the perfect car for you. I just have to search constantly.

Bruce
Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well look into your crystal ball...I need something now...

I'm getting my headers and pulley taken off thursday so it will happen soon
Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, some of you are scaring me with this talk of warranties on these cars specially the 600. I understand that these ABC suspensions are problematic. Are they something that is for sure going to happen, so get ready to fix it if not done already? Also how much are we talking about, is there are parts breakdown and a place I can get these parts besides the dealer? Can any of these fixes be done by me or are they shop only?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by xlr8tin
Ok, some of you are scaring me with this talk of warranties on these cars specially the 600. I understand that these ABC suspensions are problematic. Are they something that is for sure going to happen, so get ready to fix it if not done already? Also how much are we talking about, is there are parts breakdown and a place I can get these parts besides the dealer? Can any of these fixes be done by me or are they shop only?
The AMC pump will fail sooner or later BUT it is possible to DIY. You can buy pumps on ebay and other places not just MB and for a lot less. Can you replace it yourself? Well I guess that depends how handy you are really. I replaced my pump and both valve blocks in my own driveway with no lift. So yes it is very possible.
I can not speak for the S600 but the S55 is not that scary. Once you start understanding how the Germans think and how they build a car I think it gets easier and easier. It is not that bad. These cars are amazing machines IMO and they are at least 10 years ahead of others. Good luck.
Johan
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I find aftermarekt ABC pumps don't last as long. But Arnott ABC struts are great and have a lifetime warranty, and are 1/2 the price of MB struts. And if you're handy you can do ABC fluid flush, change valve blocks, etc.

But just the parts are expensive. Valve block is $1300 cost, ABC Arnott strutt is $500, etc. So if you have signifcant ABC problems, and are a super DIY mechanic, it can still cost $4K+ to repair the system.

That's why a great warranty is a must with these cars. You're almost 100% guaranteed to get back in claims more than you paid for the warranty, and sometimes MUCH more.

Bruce
Old 02-14-2012, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
The AMC pump will fail sooner or later BUT it is possible to DIY. You can buy pumps on ebay and other places not just MB and for a lot less. Can you replace it yourself? Well I guess that depends how handy you are really. I replaced my pump and both valve blocks in my own driveway with no lift. So yes it is very possible.
I can not speak for the S600 but the S55 is not that scary. Once you start understanding how the Germans think and how they build a car I think it gets easier and easier. It is not that bad. These cars are amazing machines IMO and they are at least 10 years ahead of others. Good luck.
Johan
Yes, that's why I keep buying these cars. They are awesome!

If there are threads about how to do these repairs, and places other then dealer to get the parts then I feel a little better.

I find aftermarekt ABC pumps don't last as long. But Arnott ABC struts are great and have a lifetime warranty, and are 1/2 the price of MB struts. And if you're handy you can do ABC fluid flush, change valve blocks, etc.

But just the parts are expensive. Valve block is $1300 cost, ABC Arnott strutt is $500, etc. So if you have signifcant ABC problems, and are a super DIY mechanic, it can still cost $4K+ to repair the system.

That's why a great warranty is a must with these cars. You're almost 100% guaranteed to get back in claims more than you paid for the warranty, and sometimes MUCH more.

Bruce
Yes, I am very handy with cars. Only limited to my tools. So unless I need a special tool to do the job, Then I'll get it

The biggest thing right now is I have 3 cars in the driveway, and only live 1.5 miles from work, so I'm not even going to be putting that many miles on whatever I get. So if something does go wrong, I should be able to do them as I get money.

Either way I'll get the PPI and go from there I guess
Old 02-14-2012, 10:34 AM

opposite-lock...
It's not so much that any one procedure is too expensive (albeit still ridiculously expensive, if you think about it)... it's that... the aggregate... of...all the virtually guaranteed procedures...

...will be like your wallet being Smote by Zeus' Lightning Bolt:

***BZZZPFFT_P_O_W_!!!***

no thanks 8-)

Think I'm kidding? Just look (notttt miiiiine)!

Feel Thy Wrath!!!

You pay either way, so why not pre-pay which guarntees you'll address all shortcomings - and - caps your risk?

it's morethan sorta a 'duh' IMO...

btw, I re-read my ^S55 thoughts^ and wanted to apologize if they came across as harsh - didn't mean to sound douchey to any 55 owners certainly, I was just sorta surprised I guess:

>respect<

good luck, that grey car looks like a 'real car' in the pics (all there) and while priced strong I'll pay strong all day for a strong car, better than saving a buck and getting rectallyviolated in perpetual infinity... no thanks. PPI the 'bish and report back...
Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So is the S55 a safer buy then the 600? Are there more issue with a 600 or a 55 or is it just because the 600 is more to warranty? I really want the power of the 600, but would the S55 be enough coming from my W210? Another thing about the 600 I like/want is the luxury and options. Seems the 55 lacks on these, couse its still a step up from my 210...
Old 02-14-2012, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
I changed my E55 to a S600, imo it wipes the floor with the E55, to me the
E was nose heavy and under steered like mad, in terms of speed I think the 600 is slightly quicker so a 55 engine in a S body the 600 was probably a fair bit quicker.Then there is the toys, more on a 600, in fact as I have said before I think the 600 is the best car I ever bought. Both cars can be easily
tweaked. The V12 is incredibly smooth, sometimes I go to get out and realize the engine is still running. Here's the rub, I bought it privately, 1 owner 48k
miles for 25 grand, I tried to get warranty from MB and failed, 3 months later
the G/box went. Because I had a good relationship with the local MB garage,
MB paid half toward it 3.5 grand, but then the g/box had warranty. I am
sure the S55 is a very nice car, apart from being a AMG the 600 appeals
to me more, particularly when you go buy a Jag or something with my 90
year old Dad waving at them.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Oh, 1 more thing, the early 600's had no turbo so watch out, especially if
you want one on the cheap.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Came across this S55, and had some questions